Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

VA Composites Raijin

Zeasy

I saw on the MGS Twitter a few months ago that one of the guys behind Oban has branched out and started VA Composites. I've liked oban on the past and I was naturally intrigued. Although I've been absolutely killing my driver lately, I have a spare adapter so I decided to pull he trigger. Plus, how can you not be interested in these graphics? Expect a review or at least some opinions soon.

IMG_0979.JPG

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I want a sweet dragon shaft for my driver.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've heard it's "hot" and seeing some love on the tour from the rep.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Those look awesome! 

Another company which I haven't tried but have heard good things about is Veylix. They make some shafts with great looking graphics as well.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Very excited to read this review. Those graphics are killer. Wondering what this beast performs like!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• SPY VIP

Well isn't this thread something...I just stumbled across it.

Serendipity, folks. I just got off the phone with Victor Affable (the V and A in VAShafts). Victor is one of my favorite guys in the industry. Super chill, laid back, and refreshingly honest guy.

As Zeasy has suggested, shafts have started shipping to dealers, and they're in just about every OEM's van, so I expect you'll start to see them trickling out on the tour soon. 

Raijin is designed to be fit a wide range of players - think middle of the bell curve, but it's a bit lower torque and stiffer in the tip than you might find in similar profiles. It's the first in VA Shafts lineup, but you can expect to additional models rolling out over the next few months. Those profiles will be a bit more targeted in scope.

I have a couple of shafts on the way as well, so expect more info after the PGA Show.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Thrilled with this update. Are these guys going to offer something to compete with the HZRDOUS line?

Love the graphics and the design, can't wait to see more after the show!

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

This came in today. Can't wait to try it out!

IMG_1030.JPG

Well isn't this thread something...I just stumbled across it.

Serendipity, folks. I just got off the phone with Victor Affable (the V and A in VAShafts). Victor is one of my favorite guys in the industry. Super chill, laid back, and refreshingly honest guy.

As Zeasy has suggested, shafts have started shipping to dealers, and they're in just about every OEM's van, so I expect you'll start to see them trickling out on the tour soon.

Raijin is designed to be fit a wide range of players - think middle of the bell curve, but it's a bit lower torque and stiffer in the tip than you might find in similar profiles. It's the first in VA Shafts lineup, but you can expect to additional models rolling out over the next few months. Those profiles will be a bit more targeted in scope.

I have a couple of shafts on the way as well, so expect more info after the PGA Show.

Victor seems like a pretty great guy. I guess the results were good this week. I saw a tweet that said he's in every major van now. Good start.

According to the website, I think it's touted as a mid launch, low spin shaft with a stiffer bend profile. Can't wait to put it up against the ADDI 6.

Wicked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Had a couple minutes this afternoon to piece this bad boy together. M2 9.5 head and the 64g X Raijin. Speced it at 45" with grip and a D1. 

Decided to go lighter swing weight because the shaft is soooo stout. 

Side note:  I spine and FLO every shaft I install. This shaft's graphics match it's spine and FLO line perfectly. Props to VA Composites on that. 

(Excuse ratchet phone pics.)

IMG_1060.png

IMG_1061.png

Beautiful!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shaft is insane. Maybe one of the stiffest I've tried. Almost impossible to hit left. While it was stiff, it didn't have the "boardy" feel you get with as stiffness increases and I didn't notice a drop in speeds or distance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SPY VIP

I had a chance to throw the Raijin on the shaft profiler today. With no disrespect to Zeasy intended, I'm not finding much to support the notion of Raijin being overly stiff to flex.

Two points before we get to my chart:

1) Stiffness is relative, so without knowing what we're comparing to, it's hard to belabor the point.

2) Different people feel different things, so for some stiffness could be butt stiffness, others the torque (which we don't yet measure).

So with that said, while we don't have a ton of shafts in our database, there are some apparent similarities with a couple of the shafts from our recent low spin shaft. 

The orange is the Raijin

The blue is the Matrix 6M4 (Black Tie)

The Brown is the GD Tour AD TP

Raijin-comp2.PNG

As you can see the Raijin is slightly stiffer in the butt than those two, and falls in the middle at the tip, but the shaft profiles are similar.

The gold shaft depicted is the Oban Kiyoshi Black. At the 65S spec, it has the stiffest profile we've measured (nothing else close really). I would absolutely classify it as stiff to flex.

The red shaft is the MRC Tensei CK White. A bit surprising to us, but it had the overall softest profile of anything in the low spin shaft test. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Hey T, have you guys had a chance to throw any of the HZRDOUS line on the profiler that you have? Would be curious to see where it falls. Not that either end of the spectrum is better than another.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• SPY VIP

I have all 4 HZRDUS models profiled. I need to get yellow added to my charts. I'll pull for you when I can, but overall, I believe all 4 are stiffer profiles.

I regret not getting the cpm's on it. Dispersion on the five (x flex) has been incredible. With myself and the two others that have hit it, the shots have been really tight and I've yet to see a ball even think about going left.

I may play a 6x ADDI in my driver, but I wish I had this in a 4 flex.

I regret not getting the cpm's on it. Dispersion on the five (x flex) has been incredible. With myself and the two others that have hit it, the shots have been really tight and I've yet to see a ball even think about going left.

I may play a 6x ADDI in my driver, but I wish I had this in a 4 flex.

Do you even lift, bro?

Do you even lift, bro?

I'm literally a shell of my former self. 😒

I have all 4 HZRDUS models profiled. I need to get yellow added to my charts. I'll pull for you when I can, but overall, I believe all 4 are stiffer profiles.

Awesome. Can't wait to see that info. Love the Yellow/Red I have and am curious as to where they lie. Not that stiffness really matters. Haha.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Those look amazing in an M series driver. Wait let me correct myself. Those look amazing in anything

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

• 7 months later...

Archived