Have any of you thought about torching these copper markers? I have looked up torching copper before and it looks like you can get some really cool colors from it.

yes...havent done it yet

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Those are great!

I'll just stick to already made ones, like this one, I popped it off a 5th of Buffalo Trace!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

It works - and doesn't take much heat.

IMG_8513.JPG IMG_8483.JPG IMG_8481.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice. I looked up torching copper and it looked really cool, they said the colors appear very quickly so you have to be careful not to over do the color you are looking for. He was showing on a sheet of copper so he could show many different colors. Those markers with the torch look sweet. I may have to try it

I listed some of mine on eBay recently - sent off my 1st "paid for" marker today!

I also just finished making 10 for a local high school team, with each player's name on the back.

Hopefully word-of-mouth leads to a few more sold!

• Like 6

very nice....i'm working on some ones i've sold as we speak....sold 14 so far, waiting for more stock :)

• Like 3

i've been giving some to friends as well, selling to supplement....probably not charging enough, not like i'm making a ton

• Like 1

Wow -- These all turned out really nicely everyone. I think I'm going to have to give this a try and make both my grandma and grandpa that I can give them when I get out to visit (and mostly golf) with them this spring.

Any tips about the actual stamping? It seems like people are using markers/tape to make sure the letters stay straight. How many hits does it take to get a reasonable indentation (and stamp before or after torching?)? Some of this is probably best learned by experimentation, so I'll play around with it. Any other tips?

I've gathered the following from the thread

* Use the copper disks from metalremnantsinc ebay store (Alien suggested 1 1/4" diameter with 1/8" thickness).

* Use a hard surface (not wood) to stamp them

* Experiment with torching with different lengths of time to get cool coloring.

• Like 2

Wow -- These all turned out really nicely everyone. I think I'm going to have to give this a try and make both my grandma and grandpa that I can give them when I get out to visit (and mostly golf) with them this spring.

Any tips about the actual stamping? It seems like people are using markers/tape to make sure the letters stay straight. How many hits does it take to get a reasonable indentation (and stamp before or after torching?)? Some of this is probably best learned by experimentation, so I'll play around with it. Any other tips?

I've gathered the following from the thread

* Use the copper disks from metalremnantsinc ebay store (Alien suggested 1 1/4" diameter with 1/8" thickness).

* Use a hard surface (not wood) to stamp them

* Experiment with torching with different lengths of time to get cool coloring.

yes...and definitely practice on one first....couple hits with a HEAVY hammer....use sharpies to draw lines, then i use some dremel bits to clean up the surface

• Like 1

I dremel with a buff wheel, then use a sharpie to draw an X to find center.

I use a 1 pound hammer and stamp on a stainless steel block. Usually take a tap to find it, then one hard whack. (Copper is soft)

Then torch it - if you don't like it, buff it off and try again.

Paint fill - clean up with mineral spirits, and you're done.

• Like 1

I've also decided to stick with black paint fill - with the torched colors, other paint either won't show up well, or it clashes.

I have done a couple that I polished to a shine and didn't torch. I used other colors of paint on those, since that was the only color.