TESTERS WANTED! ×

BOA/Disc Yay or nay?

hckymeyer

It seems like 2017 is going to be the year BOA finally takes off in the US market.  They have been very prominent overseas in golf for a years, but prior to this season it's only been a few models from FJ and Adidas in the US.

Now we have UA, ECCO, FJ, Adidas, & Nike with BOA and Puma with Disc.  The cost adder seems to range from $20 - $50.

I got my first pair of shoes with BOA last season.  Since then I've added 2 more and it would take a lot for me to purchase another pair of shoes without it.  The ease of getting your shoes on and off plus the ability to dial in the perfect snug-ness is a no brainer for me.

It's kind of one of those "you don't know you need it until you try it" ideas.  A lot of people seem to ask why would I pay more for the same shoe?  But once you try it it's hard to imagine having to tie my laces again.

So BOA/Disc, Yay or Nay?  Also what's your cost adder threshold?  At $20 I'm buying BOA, at $50 I'm looking at a different model shoe.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have never tried anything w/ BOA.....my question is, how durable is it?  like, if it breaks are you throwing a $200 pair of shoes in the trash because you can't just replace the laces?  The 'strings' that it uses look pretty thin.   They seem like a great idea though, I"m sure would be comfortable

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I have never tried anything w/ BOA.....my question is, how durable is it?  like, if it breaks are you throwing a $200 pair of shoes in the trash because you can't just replace the laces?  The 'strings' that it uses look pretty thin.   They seem like a great idea though, I"m sure would be comfortable

Pound for pound that lace is stronger than tank armor.  BOA also guarantee's the lace and dial for life.  Good info on the BOA website here.

Why BOA?

BOA FAQ's

Pound for pound that lace is stronger than tank armor.  BOA also guarantee's the lace and dial for life.  Good info on the BOA website here.

Why BOA?

BOA FAQ's

Very nice, thanks for that......I don't know that I would go out of my way to get a pair with them, but certainly wouldn't shy away from it...thanks for the info

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Alright, I'll be the odd man here. 

I have used the BOA enclosures off and on for years on bike cleats and on some run shoes.

I love the idea. 

I hate the implementation. 

But why!??!?!

The answer is both simple, and complex. The simple version is, uneven pressure.  The more complex answer is that one of the core features of the BOA system, is the very same feature that makes them unlivable after a while. The steel cable and disc do not allow any stretch or give, and require manual adjustments as your feet swell during activity. 

I know, that is the idea right? In theory, it sounds great, but every foot swells during activity. If you are playing golf, your feet will swell as much as a .25 of a size during a typical round.  With the BOA, that means you are either releasing and resetting them, or, restricting blood flow (leading to long term discomfort). 

Interestingly, even traditional laces have this problem, and it is one of the reasons so many shoes use such short lace patterns. 

There are options, and you'll find that many runners swear by them. I'm one of them. Yankz and Lock-Laces.  Both operate on the same continuous lace idea behind BOA. Instead of the disc, they use a pull and pressure lock. What is different, is that instead of a static lace like fiber, or even the BOA steel laces, they use elastic, bungie style laces that provide a strong enclosure, while still allowing enough give to allow the foot to swell, without creating too much compression. 

I use them in almost all of my shoes these days, but oddly enough, on my cycling shoes, I've gone back to velcro and ratchet enclosures for most of my riding, and only use the BOA's on my short day shoes (under 2 hours). 

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Yay.

I love BOA, but only have one pair with it.  Its been hard to find without spending more than I care to for a pair of shoes.

Hopefully as it becomes more popular it will be on shoes not at the very top end of the spectrum.

As to durability, the pair I have (and have had them for 4 years) have held up great.  I walk a lot and used them for a year and a half that way.  After they decided to leak, I started using them as practice only shoes.  They have a lot of steps and swings on them.  They are about done now, but the BOA system is still perfectly operational.  I think the strings are a vinyl wrapped cable.  

WITB:
Driver Ping Anser 8.5 deg Diamana 'ahina X
3 Wood Adams LS Stock S or TM 14 deg MiniDriver stock S
Irons Ben Hogan FW 15 KBS Tour V S
Wedges Ben Hogan TK 15 KBS Tour V S
Putter Nike Method Concept
Launch Monitor: SkyTrak

Play Right-handed

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the idea of being able to lock your feet in but i just don't trust it enough to stay tight enough while playing.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Alright, I'll be the odd man here. 

I have used the BOA enclosures off and on for years on bike cleats and on some run shoes.

I love the idea. 

I hate the implementation. 

But why!??!?!

The answer is both simple, and complex. The simple version is, uneven pressure.  The more complex answer is that one of the core features of the BOA system, is the very same feature that makes them unlivable after a while. The steel cable and disc do not allow any stretch or give, and require manual adjustments as your feet swell during activity. 

I know, that is the idea right? In theory, it sounds great, but every foot swells during activity. If you are playing golf, your feet will swell as much as a .25 of a size during a typical round.  With the BOA, that means you are either releasing and resetting them, or, restricting blood flow (leading to long term discomfort). 

Interestingly, even traditional laces have this problem, and it is one of the reasons so many shoes use such short lace patterns. 

There are options, and you'll find that many runners swear by them. I'm one of them. Yankz and Lock-Laces.  Both operate on the same continuous lace idea behind BOA. Instead of the disc, they use a pull and pressure lock. What is different, is that instead of a static lace like fiber, or even the BOA steel laces, they use elastic, bungie style laces that provide a strong enclosure, while still allowing enough give to allow the foot to swell, without creating too much compression. 

I use them in almost all of my shoes these days, but oddly enough, on my cycling shoes, I've gone back to velcro and ratchet enclosures for most of my riding, and only use the BOA's on my short day shoes (under 2 hours). 

This is one of the best responses to a nay for BOA I've seen.  Hard to argue with too, I do find myself readjusting the tightness during rounds.  One thing I like though is how easy it is to do that.  Only takes a couple seconds and I can do it one handed.  I can easily see how in other sports like running or cycling that would be much harder to do.

I do also have some lock laces.  I've only used them in normal tennis shoes for everyday wear so far, but I really like them.  I have an extra pair in blue I bought to try in golf shoes but just haven't had the urge to install them since getting BOA's.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the idea of being able to lock your feet in but i just don't trust it enough to stay tight enough while playing.

I feel like there is a better chance of your shoes coming untied than there is the BOA loosening.  Plus if it does just click it back tight, quicker and easier than tying shoes.

Also Nike has some with BOA so now maybe you'll be interested :)

I feel like there is a better chance of your shoes coming untied than there is the BOA loosening.  Plus if it does just click it back tight, quicker and easier than tying shoes.

Also Nike has some with BOA so now maybe you'll be interested :)

I saw them and I'm still not sold yet. Maybe I just enjoy tieing my shoes lol 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm a tie'r of the shoe too. But with one simple modification..... wax shoe laces. If only the shoe mfg's would return to wax laces everything would be all right. Personally I always replace the "fashion" cotton laces with waxed laces. Tie um and forget um. All day long.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I saw them and I'm still not sold yet. Maybe I just enjoy tieing my shoes lol

This is absolutely false. You don't even untie your shoes. You slip them on ;);)

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I just got a bargain on a pair and thus far, they seem pretty convenient and comfortable. I never really have problems with laces either, but as someone who has grown used to slip on golf shoes for the range, these are a good compromise and seem to ensure a stable fit throughout the round.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I've never tried them, but I prefer the look of tied shoe laces. I might give them a try in the future after I go through my stash of shoes I have sitting on my shelf.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Never tried them but have always liked the concept of them with a secure fit. When we played hockey (years ago) we put the skates on (Tacks with kangaroo leather inside) and soaked them and let them form more to our feet for a better fit. I could see positive results from them.

Yankz and Lock-Laces.  Both operate on the same continuous lace idea behind BOA. Instead of the disc, they use a pull and pressure lock. What is different, is that instead of a static lace like fiber, or even the BOA steel laces, they use elastic, bungie style laces that provide a strong enclosure, while still allowing enough give to allow the foot to swell, without creating too much compression. 

@dru_ Just went to Amazon and the ratings for the Lock-Laces are really really good. I think I'm going to buy a pair of red ones for my black Trues. Thanks for mentioning them.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I actually just bought my first pair yesterday. FJ Freestyle. So far they are amazingly comfortable and super easy to get on and off. Golf galaxy has last year colors on sale for $53. So it was a steal. I'm can't believe that it took me this long to buy a pair with BOA and probably will never have a tie pair again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Twitter: @bobbyburdette

Instagram: bobbyburdette

I have a pair of shoes with the BOA and they are good shoes and it's better than tying the laces several times a round as they loosen up.

That being said, I much prefer the lock laces as several other people have mentioned here. Originally I bought them for my everyday sneakers as I am lazy and like to slip my shoes on and off without having to tie them. That's right, I am that lazy!

After buying a couple of sets for my every day shoes I fell in love with them. I now have them on every pair of shoes I own with the exception of my dress shoes, and if I could get away with it I would have them on those too.

Despite the fact that it makes it super easy for me to get my shoes on and off, the best feature in my opinion is that they are tight enough to stay on my foot and never allow my foot to shift in the shoe, but not so tight that they dig in or hurt in any way.

They are elastic of course so they will basically adjust to your foot and shoe in real time.

I find myself re tightening them about once a month on my every day shoes and once or twice during the life of my golf shoes.

I have been using them for almost two years and have had them on 4 pairs of golf shoes and probably 5 pairs of every day shoes.

I do prefer a sneaker style golf shoe so I have not had them on a pair of traditional golf shoes, but I have no doubt they would work fine.

As far as reliability goes, I haven't had one break yet, and they have all outlasted the shoes I've put them on so far.

I buy them from Amazon for about 8 bucks I think and I immediately replace the regular laces with these when I buy a new pair of shoes.

If you have any questions about them I can try to answer them, but for the price and performance I've gotten to this point I couldn't be happier with them.

Oh, and yes I love New Balance shoes.

IMG_20170120_080542.jpg

IMG_20170120_080555.jpg

IMG_20170120_080558.jpg

IMG_20170120_080602.jpg

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I have been wearing 3 pair for the past four years. Two FJ Contours and one FJ Sport. I never wear a pair two days in a row. So their longevity is a bit exaggerated. That said, they are very comfortable especially since I must wear an ankle brace on my left ankle. The BOA allows me to dial in different pressures to fit my brace.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

I am not opposed to the BOA system but a $20-$50 up charge seems a bit steep for laces.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

Never tried them but have always liked the concept of them with a secure fit. When we played hockey (years ago) we put the skates on (Tacks with kangaroo leather inside) and soaked them and let them form more to our feet for a better fit. I could see positive results from them.

We also used waxed laces...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I've used BOA for 3 years now and I love em. I have them in a pair of footjoy DNA and they're very comfortable and stay tight really well. Kind of nice to be able to adjust the fit with one hand when I need to. Mine have the dial (I guess it would be dial?) on the heel which is kinda nice too, real clean no clutter sorta look. Don't know how much I'd like the look of having it on the side or the tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Got Lock Laces in the mail yesterday...colour me impressed.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have 3 pair of shoes with Lock Laces but I ordered Xpand laces last time and those are the ones I will order from now on.  I like the look much better than Lock Laces, just a cleaner look IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Xpand-Shoelaces-System-Elastic-Laces/dp/B01DFK6N2A/ref=lp_9375522011_1_1?srs=9375522011&ie=UTF8&qid=1486849154&sr=8-1&th=1

IbArUbS5GW._UX970_TTW_.jpg

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Archived