Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

BOA/Disc Yay or nay?

hckymeyer

I've never seen BOA until I seen it here first (of coarse). They intrigue me. If I find some at a good price maybe an older model, I may buy some.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Best price I ever paid was $60 for FJ Contour BOA when Edwin Watts was liquidating a few years back.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Pound for pound that lace is stronger than tank armor. BOA also guarantee's the lace and dial for life. Good info on the BOA website here.

Why BOA?

BOA FAQ's

Well in that case, I will definitely need to get a pair of BOA's. I was misinformed by a golf galaxy rep that I would be out of luck if the strings broke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I have 3 pair of shoes with Lock Laces but I ordered Xpand laces last time and those are the ones I will order from now on.  I like the look much better than Lock Laces, just a cleaner look IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Xpand-Shoelaces-System-Elastic-Laces/dp/B01DFK6N2A/ref=lp_9375522011_1_1?srs=9375522011&ie=UTF8&qid=1486849154&sr=8-1&th=1

IbArUbS5GW._UX970_TTW_.jpg

Stop it, you're costing me money!!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have a number of pairs of BOA golf shoes (I think I am up to 5) and will be all over the ECCO boa shoes when they drop in price.

When the BOA lacing is on top of the shoe, there has never been a problem w the system. On the heel, I have knocked them loose on the golf cart while driving or getting in, but I have never had my pants get caught in the lacing mechanism.

You can find BOA shoes on clearance. I have purchased exactly one pair of BOA shoes for more than $100, and I picked up a pair of adidas a few weeks ago for under $50.

BOA is by far the only way to go now. Stays so secure for the entire round!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I have 3 pair of shoes with Lock Laces but I ordered Xpand laces last time and those are the ones I will order from now on.  I like the look much better than Lock Laces, just a cleaner look IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/Xpand-Shoelaces-System-Elastic-Laces/dp/B01DFK6N2A/ref=lp_9375522011_1_1?srs=9375522011&ie=UTF8&qid=1486849154&sr=8-1&th=1

IbArUbS5GW._UX970_TTW_.jpg

OK, I HAVE to give these a try.  Thanks.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

OK, I HAVE to give these a try.  Thanks.

Let me know how you like them. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

• 3 weeks later...

Nay for me

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Alright, I'll be the odd man here. 

I have used the BOA enclosures off and on for years on bike cleats and on some run shoes.

I love the idea. 

I hate the implementation. 

But why!??!?!

The answer is both simple, and complex. The simple version is, uneven pressure.  The more complex answer is that one of the core features of the BOA system, is the very same feature that makes them unlivable after a while. The steel cable and disc do not allow any stretch or give, and require manual adjustments as your feet swell during activity. 

I know, that is the idea right? In theory, it sounds great, but every foot swells during activity. If you are playing golf, your feet will swell as much as a .25 of a size during a typical round.  With the BOA, that means you are either releasing and resetting them, or, restricting blood flow (leading to long term discomfort). 

Interestingly, even traditional laces have this problem, and it is one of the reasons so many shoes use such short lace patterns. 

There are options, and you'll find that many runners swear by them. I'm one of them. Yankz and Lock-Laces.  Both operate on the same continuous lace idea behind BOA. Instead of the disc, they use a pull and pressure lock. What is different, is that instead of a static lace like fiber, or even the BOA steel laces, they use elastic, bungie style laces that provide a strong enclosure, while still allowing enough give to allow the foot to swell, without creating too much compression. 

I use them in almost all of my shoes these days, but oddly enough, on my cycling shoes, I've gone back to velcro and ratchet enclosures for most of my riding, and only use the BOA's on my short day shoes (under 2 hours).

This was just the type of info I was looking for about the BOA system. I had started a post asking this same BOA question in equipment today (figured the most recent article about the FJ DNA helix talked about shoes being equipment, so that would be the place to post it!), so I am glad I stumbled onto this post. I am going to look into some of the alternatives you posted, as well as the ones others have posted, and see what I think is the best fit for me.

I am still curious, does anyone know what the tour acceptance rate/use of BOA is? Just wondering if the tour players are using it as well, or if most are sticking the standard lacing system. Not saying that if tour pros use it then it must be the right answer for everyone, just wondering what the stats are.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

I am still curious, does anyone know what the tour acceptance rate/use of BOA is? Just wondering if the tour players are using it as well, or if most are sticking the standard lacing system. Not saying that if tour pros use it then it must be the right answer for everyone, just wondering what the stats are.

Don't know how many on the PGA but several use em on the LPGA.

I think alot on the PGA are more traditional even meaning that they still use metal cleats.

I say yes! Wow boa has been a revelation so easy and gets a great fit. I've only bought one pair so far but I'll be looking at boa for my next pair no questions

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Don't know how many on the PGA but several use em on the LPGA.

I think alot on the PGA are more traditional even meaning that they still use metal cleats.

I agree the PGA tour is more traditional, but with all of the young guys coming in and everyone looking for any advantage they can get in sports, if they believed in the technology you would start seeing it take off on tour now.

Interesting mention about metal cleats - I hadn't thought about that click-clack noise in a while! I would think that very few, if any, still use metal cleats on the course. I have heardPhil and Tiger were famous metal spike holdouts for a while, but I think even they have converted to plastic spikes or some type of hybrid instead of the full blown steel spikes. Since companies no longer make standard metal spiked models, and they are banned from most courses and (I think) all level of play other than the professional level, I think those have been an easy phase out. And maybe that is what it would take for BOA to take off on the tour - if all companies only made some type of disc system the standard on all the shoes, that would force the adoption rate to go up on tour (if it is low).

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

Archived