Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What style of lessons do you take?

Sschaffer24

Hey guys!

Long time no talk... Santa Claus got in the way of my MGS time, followed by one of the busiest times of year for me here at the dealership. A lot of change!

That being said I've always wondered how people handle this portion of their game. I've been a Mark Crossfield subscriber for longer than I've been a member of MyGolfSpy. It's been going on 6 years or so now that I've been following him. During that time, I've picked up a ton of information from him and listened to a lot of advice on how to take a lesson, how you should be practicing, etc.

He is all about impact focused training and not trying to build pretty pictures with your swing, but training for what's functional.

Recently with his daily vlogs he has been doing swing fixes from videos sent in through twitter. Inevitably he comes up with a perspective on how to handle the issue present (and the actual root of the issue, not necessarily what LOOKS wrong) in a very clear and concise way.

My question is, how do you guys find a swing instructor who has that same ability? When you go for your lessons, where does the confidence in his training come from? I wonder sometimes if I am trying to build pretty pictures or not fixing the root of the issue.

How do you guys approach this? I know in a sense you have to work with what you have. But to the people who have found a coach that teaches in a similar way and takes lessons from them, what kind of progress have you seen from that style of training?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

Here's what I found and what has worked for me.

First I was fortunate to have been introduced to Stuart Hendley - PGA. Back in 1982 Stuart was the #1 ranked Jr. golfer in the US and was also the Jr. World Champion. Then disaster...Google him and read his story. It's quite interesting.

I've been working with Stuart the past year and a half. We'll be starting again soon for the 2017 season. When I first discussed taking lessons-coaching from him he asked what I wanted to do. So, I described me and my game. I remember telling him I wasn't looking to rebuild anything; rather I wanted to improve upon what I have already. He said fine come on out and lets have a look. So basically over this time we've steadily made minor changes-improvements here and there. At each meeting we'd talk and hit balls, etc. He'd usually spot something I'd let slide and remind me where I needed to be. He'd also give me one or two tips to work on. What I've enjoyed about working with Stuart is that he's easy. He'd never load me up a bunch of stuff. Only one or two simple things to focus on until our next visit. Each time I work with Stuart we are building on and reinforcing our previous meetings. I've enjoyed hearing his stories too. He has plenty of them.

My style of lessons are what I'd call casual and friendly. Stuart has become my friend and that makes things nice for both of us. Sometimes I tell him, "just show me what you're talking about" as I watch his moves. Or I ask how do you do such and such. He'll show me and describe a method that works for my swing and age. Sometimes we just meet and work on chipping and pitching the ball from various lies and conditions. I could go on but I think you get the idea.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've never had a lesson so not really sure.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That's awesome Plaid. I think the relationship is the true key when taking lessons. It's a class in communication. Learned how the student speaks and then how to present the information in a way that connects specifically with me.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

And really? Any reason for not having one Meyer?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

And to think.... if Mayer had taken some lessons he'd be good. :D

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

And really? Any reason for not having one Meyer?

If I have the time for a lesson I'd rather just go play.  I've also picked up things here and there just by golfing with people better than me.  Instead of practicing or lessons I feel like it's better to just do it and go play.

And to think.... if Mayer had taken some lessons he'd be good. :D

I'll make a tee time and we'll see :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

If I have the time for a lesson I'd rather just go play.  I've also picked up things here and there just by golfing with people better than me.  Instead of practicing or lessons I feel like it's better to just do it and go play.

I'll make a tee time and we'll see :)

Of course I'm jacking with ya. I think a 3 hcp speak for itself. And to be honest... I can play my way into a better game if I had the time. That's what used to happen when I played more. I still play more than practice. Playing's more fun.

It's weird, but I find it oddly therapeutic to practice instead of playing. When I head to the course I expect the best I can put out there. When I can't perform to that standard I get frustrated and just want to go practice.

Not saying im a raging lunatic. Just that I get a high amount of confidence on practicing. So it's always cool to hear the exact opposite take.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

It's weird, but I find it oddly therapeutic to practice instead of playing. When I head to the course I expect the best I can put out there. When I can't perform to that standard I get frustrated and just want to go practice.

Not saying im a raging lunatic. Just that I get a high amount of confidence on practicing. So it's always cool to hear the exact opposite take.

Shawn - I am like you as I suspect most of us are, we hit the range, practice and that becomes the standard for the next round. Unfortunately I think the majority of us fail to execute that plan or capitalize on the practice. Lets be honest - average handicap is what 15-16 and average age, at least here at my club is 63, so hitting the range or taking lessons is not a priority. For me personally I love to hit balls and try different things. I take about 4 lessons per year and learn something each time or I think I learn something where perhaps my instructor told me the same thing on the previous lesson and I forgot :huh:

WITB - :taylormade-small:

Driver - TaylorMade M2 - Stiff flex / 12.5*

3 & 7 Wood - TaylorMade M2

6i -Gap - TaylorMade M4- Stiff flex

Wedges - TaylorMade ATV 55* & 60*

Putter - Odyssey 2 Ball

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

Right Handed Neutral lie on all clubs

I just play. If I'm alone, I'll try weird things - play a draw on every shot, play a fade every shot, intentionally hit toward the trees so I can practice getting out of them, hit my approaches a club short so I have to try to chip close and 1 putt for par, or whatever seems to be my 'issue'.

I also like to play with new people that I come across - I always learn something no matter how good or bad they are, and hopefully it goes both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For me I talk to the instructor prior to the lessons or I schedule a quick lesson.  I treat it basically like an interview about his philosophies and approaches and what my goals are.   If the instructor has a website you can often find some of that information out ahead of time.  The first lesson or interview is also to get recommendation and a plan of attack for what we want to accomplish.  You should be able to find out how the instructor communicates and determine if they are for you.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am with Meyer and never really had a formal lesson. I have a teaching pro that looks at my swing on occasion but more for a second set of eyes. I am more or less completely self taught and plan to stay that way. To answer the question my favorite lesson style is watching my son on the range getting his lesson with the Asst. Pro at my club. It is really cool to watch him soak in all the points and then be able to execute them.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I take my lessons indoors at golftec. I like it because we have the cameras to see what's going on with my swing. correct what's wrong as well as associate the new moves with a feel. it's nice to be able to go back online and watch the lessons to see what I'm supposed to be working on and such.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

All super interesting points. It's crazy how there are so extreme of differences and yet people can still go out and perform to a high standard.

Jmike, that does sound like a pretty great lesson by the way.

And Theo I don't have a golftec around me unfortunately, but what kind of progress have you seen from taking them? How long have you been doing it?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Shawn, depends what you're looking for. I've taken lessons from pros who can flat out play and have played in majors, so a lot of their confidence comes from knowing their technique has held up under the most intense pressures.

And, I think playing lessons with these pros are underutilized and often the best way to learn from them

Sometimes a pro who isn't a good player but an amazing instructor could be what you're looking for because he/she has studied the game and can clearly articulate what you're struggling with.

All in all, I think it comes down to communication. Who do you feel understands you the best and sometimes online instructors are a great option because they have the opportunity to re-record themselves and be concise or defer you to prepared material.

And Theo I don't have a golftec around me unfortunately, but what kind of progress have you seen from taking them? How long have you been doing it?

I've been taking lessons from my coach for about 4 years now and it's help my game a lot. When I started I was shooting around 130 and barely able to hit a 6i 150 yards. Now I'm close to breaking 90 which doesn't seem like a huge deal but seeing the ability I do have gives me great confidence that once I do the flood gates will open and the game will be come much easier for me.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

That's great news man! 40 strokes is nothing to sneeze at either. That's a big deal! Have you picked up significant yardage?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

That's great news man! 40 strokes is nothing to sneeze at either. That's a big deal! Have you picked up significant yardage?

Roughly 50 yards or so

This is a video my Coach made a while back. Ray Lamb out of Waco Texas is the fella I go to. When I first went to Ray I was 15, we worked and changed a lot but now we work more on game management, playing different shots and swing upkeep. I'm technical to a fault when it comes to golf, I like to know exactly what's going on in the swing which Ray will explain but he also does a great job of helping me to keep that in check and play golf not swing. What hooked me was how he always told me why we were working on something and why it works. I could break 80 on occasion before I met Ray but he's the main reason I can play decent golf now. http://youtu.be/mgvUxcSYT-0

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Have you picked up significant yardage?

You have to play with us some time...you need binoculars to see his tee shot!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

That's awesome and I would love to!

Distance is bar none the biggest issue in my golf game. I'm excited to see how losing this weight and the new set will change that for me next season, but when I am hitting my 7 iron 150 and hoping that it flies the full distance I think we have a problem.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

That's awesome and I would love to!

Distance is bar none the biggest issue in my golf game. I'm excited to see how losing this weight and the new set will change that for me next season, but when I am hitting my 7 iron 150 and hoping that it flies the full distance I think we have a problem.

A good amount of my distance gain came from switching to a draw from a fade. What is your shot shape like?

I used to try and force a draw, which caused a major issue for me. I had trouble getting to my left side and would hang back on the ball. Causing my path to go dramatically left.

Since I've switched to a fade as the predominant feeling for me I have noticed an uptick in yardage. My fitting added a considerable amount for me as well. The unfortunate part is I haven't gotten to play since I received my set outside of two rounds due to the weather. So it's still. Huge unknown for next season.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I liken it to a job interview. If possible it is nice if they played at a high level as for me it demonstrates their abilities but in saying that, there are many teaching pros that are incredible.

My friend who was one of the partners at Modern Golf (since left and recently opened his own) played competitive golf, worked for TM in their Tour van on the European Tour  and as a bonus he also builds and fits my clubs for me so he would know my tendencies and if need be we can tweak my stuff on the spot. Also, having a Trackman etc is great as there can be things that can be corrected once looking at the data. Besides I think it is fun looking at the numbers. Here is a picture up at MG when I was warming up.

After their credentials, I think it is important if you like each other :)

Warming up.jpg

I used to try and force a draw, which caused a major issue for me. I had trouble getting to my left side and would hang back on the ball. Causing my path to go dramatically left.

Since I've switched to a fade as the predominant feeling for me I have noticed an uptick in yardage. My fitting added a considerable amount for me as well. The unfortunate part is I haven't gotten to play since I received my set outside of two rounds due to the weather. So it's still. Huge unknown for next season.

Nice, we will have to try and get a round in this season somehow with matt

Theoo we absolutely have to do that! You're not too far from me and I'm happy to drive to get together with some guys! Would be a blast.

Maverickpig, you're a lucky man. I wish mightily I was closer to Justin and the guys at Modern. They would be a fantastic place to hang my hat for lessons. Oh well.

And djahubes, Theoo seems like your guy!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I was thinking about golftec. Anyone have any feedback? Not looking to change too much.

It's definitely worth taking a swing evaluation, even in that hour you can learn a lot about your game and swing

IMHO, lessons are the best money you can spend on the course.

I played for decades without ever having one and now I have them at least once every other month.

I'm a big tech geek in all other things, but having a pro on the practice range always is my preference.

Driver: Titleist 917 10.5*
3 Wood: Titliest 917
Hybrid: Titleist 818

Irons: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged w/ True Temper XP 115

Wedges: Volkey SM5 M Grind 54° & 58°; 8° bounce

Putter: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Notchback

Grips: Golf Pride MCCPlus4 midsized

Preferred ball: Bridgestone Tour B-RX, ProV 1X

Archived