Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Uhhhhh Cobra King F7+ = Best Driver of the Year?

MmmmmmBuddy

Ok.  It's really early in the golf season for us, and I have not hit tons of balls yet this year.  However, I have trialed all of the major releases from the Big Boys..  Epic, Epic SZ, M1, M2, M1 440, 917D2, 917D3...  ect.  Best of the bunch so far has been the Cobra King F7+.  

I picked up the King F7+ and it is noticeably straighter, and more consistent than anything else that I tested. Even straighter than what I play now.  

And the sound... oh the sweet sound...  

Don't Sleep on Cobra this year.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Cobra has made some really solid drivers the last 3 or 4 years so its tough for me to be surprised by this. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Cobra has made some really solid drivers the last 3 or 4 years so its tough for me to be surprised by this.

Agreed

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

Already have the F7 3w in the bag. Hybrids likely coming. Would be all over driver if the FlyZ+ Fuji Pro combo wasn't currently killing for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Ok.  It's really early in the golf season for us, and I have not hit tons of balls yet this year.  However, I have trialed all of the major releases from the Big Boys..  Epic, Epic SZ, M1, M2, M1 440, 917D2, 917D3...  ect.  Best of the bunch so far has been the Cobra King F7+.  

I picked up the King F7+ and it is noticeably straighter, and more consistent than anything else that I tested. Even straighter than what I play now.  

And the sound... oh the sweet sound...  

Don't Sleep on Cobra this year.

Are you trying to sell me another driver??   :D

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Are you trying to sell me another driver??   :D

Might not be any better than your JGR, but I may have finally found something to kick the R9SD out of the bag...  

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Might not be any better than your JGR, but I may have finally found something to kick the R9SD out of the bag...  

I have no plans to replace the JGR anytime soon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Good to hear. I'll out it to my driver hit list!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Quick and dirty LM session and here are the #'s 

TaylorMade R9 SuperDeep 9.5° Fubuki 63s:

SS                101.8    

Ball Speed    146.8

Vert Launch  11.9°

Spin Rate      2459

Offline          18.9L

Carry            236.4

Total             258.5

Cobra King F7+ 9.5° Heavy weight back HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

SS                104.1    (+2.3)

Ball Speed    146.3   (-.5)

Vert Launch  14.7°    (+2.8°)

Spin Rate      2079    (-380 rpm)

Offline            2.2L    (16.7 yds closer to the center line)

Carry            240.8   (+4.4 yds)

Total             262.4    (+3.9 yds)

Obviously these are very early in the season numbers with range balls.  As I have stated earlier, Our range balls have very similar launch and spin characteristics to premium balls on Driver Tee Shots, but are always a few mph short on ball speed.  (We checked when Bridgestone was here with the Ball Fitting Team)

The Cobra King F7+ is slightly better than the driver that I have logged countless rounds with, and feel VERY comfortable with.....  Better Spin numbers, and WAAAY better accuracy..  

Damn, that offline number is crazy small. I've been playing the Fly Z+ with Aldila Tour Blue 75X after getting fit, and am loving it. Looking forward to the local Golf Expo in march to try everyone's stuff, love me some Cobra, wanna give the baffler and LTD a go. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Damn, that offline number is crazy small. I've been playing the Fly Z+ with Aldila Tour Blue 75X after getting fit, and am loving it. Looking forward to the local Golf Expo in march to try everyone's stuff, love me some Cobra, wanna give the baffler and LTD a go. 

I am not that straight of a player...  I am VERY familiar will the trees on both sides of the fairways on the holes next to the one that I am playing.......

X2 on this.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

It sounds like it's better than the F6+, but that shouldn't be too hard of a feat. That this was terrible. I've always been a fan of Cobra drivers.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I am wanting to put my Cobra King Ltd with Aldila Rogue black or Paderson Kinetix back in the bag but my Powerbilt AFO DFX with Aldila RIP beta won't let it. It is 10-15 yards longer. With both I do not see a driver change this year.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I tried to bag a FZ and FZ+ last year but couldn't find/get a good fit. In other words... they couldn't unseat my old SLDR. To be fair to the Fly-Z drivers; I wasn't able to work with a fitter outdoors. A guy at a local shop tried to help me but it didn't work out. I needed a true club fitter where we might have been able to use LM data and be able to change/test multiple shafts and settings, etc. I'll probably play my SLDR another season. Unless the driver bug bites me again. If so, I'll go - travel to a true club fitter.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Interesting you didn't see significant ball speed increases with Epic given the hype around that particular product.

I don't get ball speed from hype...  

I tried to bag a FZ and FZ+ last year but couldn't find/get a good fit. In other words... they couldn't unseat my old SLDR. To be fair to the Fly-Z drivers; I wasn't able to work with a fitter outdoors. A guy at a local shop tried to help me but it didn't work out. I needed a true club fitter where we might have been able to use LM data and be able to change/test multiple shafts and settings, etc. I'll probably play my SLDR another season. Unless the driver bug bites me again. If so, I'll go - travel to a true club fitter.

... The SLDR was a game changer for me too. I played several generations of Cobra drivers starting with the Pro S and ending with the ZL. Then several years of new TM drivers that produced too much spin or not enough spin with too low of a loft. The SLDR was the first low spin driver with enough loft when I cranked my 10.5* up to 12* and I gained 15 yards. Not my longest drives, which were even longer, but consistently 15 yds longer. However, it was not as forgiving as many drivers I have played. 

... Of course the industry always adjusts and many that wanted to play the SLDR found they didn't have enough club head speed or didn't have enough loft, having played the 9.5* and 10.5* before the 12* and 14* heads were made available. For me, the Fly Z had a little more spin than the SLDR but still low spin. I play mine at 9.5* and it gives me the best combination of spin, trajectory, distance and for the first time maximum forgiveness. It has allowed me to swing freely with no steering and 2015 was my best driving year ever. I had gotten down to a 0 index several times but a + index had eluded me until the Fly Z went into my bag. I did play the F6 a few months last season but since I rarely needed the up front weight position, I went back to my Fly Z as I like the feel/sound better than the F6. When my shoulder recovers I am really looking forward to playing the F7. 

... Obviously finding the right shaft is paramount when playing a new driver. I have a smooth 100 mph swing with a slow transition so my swing is not as shaft dependent as a faster swing speed and/or quick transition, but still some mid flex, mid torque and low spin shafts work better than others. The Rogue Black Tour 110 is a perfect compliment to the Fly Z head for my swing. Had I only hit the stock shaft, I would not have been as impressed and it probably would have never made it into my bag. I have probably put close to 50 people in a Fly Z through reviews and personal recommendation, along with a few that tried the Z but ended up not liking it. If you get a chance to demo one Plaid, I would highly recommend it. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

chisag, I liked what you had to say about the FZ. I really wanted one last summer. They are still out there and available from different sources. I think I saw a FZ yesterday for $180. I was almost thinking of buying one just for the head but probably won't. Lately, I've been driving the ball well (better than usual) playing in the mow or just off all day. Guys I play with are noticing it. (I wonder how much is attributed to the Shotmaker? - some I think) For now and as long as the SLDR 12* isn't damaged or broken I'll stick with it. I can't mess with a good thing. I hope you are able to get back on the course this spring and make golf great again!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I tested the F7+ the other day and got numbers similar to my current XR16 Sub Zero which really impressed me. It is a very nice feeling driver as well. I then tried the EPIC SZ, with my current shaft, and got better numbers so I went that direction but I do think Cobra has produced a great driver. With a different shaft I may have been able to optimize my numbers and match the EPIC but I had to go with what performed the best in the store.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I've tried every Cobra driver since the BCP and nothing has beat it, so I will have to give this a go.

You haven't blown the top off of that Driver yet??  As hard as you hit it, I would have thought that it was in need of replacement years ago..

• 3 months later...

I play the F6 Fairway and (3) F6 hybrids. They are the easiest and most forgiving clubs I've played in some time. I'm a long time Cobra fan but, fell off the wagon for a few years. I'M BACK!  I'm going to see how my R15 compares to the F7 and F7+. Nothing so far this year has convinced me to switch not even the Epic. The R15 with the Accra F150  is still outstanding. Not worth spending $350-$500 for a new driver yet. We'll see after the F7 test. Thanks for the review.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

I hit the Ping G and the F7+ side by side. Wish I could have put the Fujikura Shaft in the Ping. I think very good things would have happened. But I'd probably be sleeping outside for a month.

Worth it though.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Archived