TESTERS WANTED! ×

Evnroll vs Edel

Jiro

Actually Jack was custom fit. At times by his own work. As were most other pros of that era. Jack has even discussed his "back-weighting" of his irons. He said he pretty much played his whole career with back-weighted clubs. His drivers we most certainly in the 43" range at least during the era of Wood drivers. Granted Jack didn't have a launch monitor by his side but he certainly used swing weight scales and loft & lie machines to have his clubs bent to he specs. Those things have been around for ever and are still in use today for custom fittings. Custom fitting isn't new. Pros have always availed themselves of the fitting technology of their time. Only fairly recently have the average Joe been able to get a custom fit.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Only fairly recently have the average Joe been able to get a custom fit.

I agree. I don't remember all of this cool custom stuff growing up, only thing I remember were Ping irons because they obviously had the dot colors.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Actually Jack was custom fit. At times by his own work. As were most other pros of that era. Jack has even discussed his "back-weighting" of his irons. He said he pretty much played his whole career with back-weighted clubs. His drivers we most certainly in the 43" range at least during the era of Wood drivers. Granted Jack didn't have a launch monitor by his side but he certainly used swing weight scales and loft & lie machines to have his clubs bent to he specs. Those things have been around for ever and are still in use today for custom fittings. Custom fitting isn't new. Pros have always availed themselves of the fitting technology of their time. Only fairly recently have the average Joe been able to get a custom fit.

Very interesting, I suppose the point I was making was that after a number of custom fits / lessons / endless reading I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that putting is a personal thing and getting too technical might be to my detriment!

I recently heard a quote from Jack on British TV when discussing the recent trend for pistol / claw / left hand low grips.  He said rather dismissively "Its just putting".  Which made me giggle a bit!  It also reminded me of the number of times where I've stood over a putt and known that I was going to make / miss it, if I get this feeling I'm rarely wrong, I'm sure others have the same - so my new goal is to find a putting technique that most often gives me that confidence!

Back on thread!  I think trying both Edel and evn roll is the only way - hopefully one will give you confidence and fit your eye and stroke but its hard to say!

If anyone figures out this putting lark, message me immediately!

What about mla in the mix?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Agreed!

I have to say, with most high end putter manufacturers; Edel, Bettinardi, Scotty, etc. the difference between putters appears to be subjective at best. They all make gorgeous putters that are crafted to exacting standards but... I wouldn't call them innovative. It's the same designs with new materials, a new insert, more tungsten... Now Evnroll and MLA are actually doing some cool stuff that hasn't been done before! Evnroll's face technology, the MLA alignment tech! That's cool! It seems to be supported by science, and in testing, at least Evnroll seems to be showing well. Even if neither is a true game changer, at least they're looking outside the box and I like that.

So, who wants to try and slap an MLA alignment graphic on top of an Evnroll putter and see if it's possible to miss a putt with all that technology!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

Still not clear on how EVNROLL tech is different from PING's True Roll.

Is it that EVNROLL plays with width and PING is about depth?

If anyone is on speaking terms with Rife please ask. He seems like the kind of guy who would be open to talk about it.

Fozz, you still have his email?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

If anyone is on speaking terms with Rife please ask. He seems like the kind of guy who would be open to talk about it.

Already spoke to him about this during my fitting.

Ping uses groove depth and only can impact ball speeds.

Evnroll uses with width and shape to impact both speeds and direction. The parabolic grooves provide a gear effect that brings the putts back towards the center line

Here's a more detailed explanation

https://evnroll.com/technology/

8d52742b158c7d29741a28f6090daa86.jpg

861816e7fd032ff535bc9010ba777c1d.jpg

Basically, Ping's grove tech causes miss hits to travel as far as good hits, perfect lag putting. Evnroll's tech not only evens out the distance between good hits and off hits but it actually causes the ball to track back toward the intended line of the putt.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

And here's a video of the Evnroll grooves in action

Thanks for the video jlukes! I had never seen that video before. I pretty much just "believed" in the tech with no way to prove it.

But I'm loving my ER1!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Basically, Ping's grove tech causes miss hits to travel as far as good hits, perfect lag putting. Evnroll's tech not only evens out the distance between good hits and off hits but it actually causes the ball to track back toward the intended line of the putt.

Don't forget.....Rife sued Ping for stealing some of his patented technology a few years ago. That is why the Ping Ketsch putter was removed from the market and replaced with a different groove set.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Thanks folks.

I assumed that one of these entities had the patent on groove tech. I realize EVNROLL has gearing because of how the groove width tapers, but if PING owns the IP behind grooves replacing lost energy, they would come after Rife regardless of his new advancement. I would think that if PING patented groove depth, they would have patented groove width at the same time. 

(Or vice versa given Fozz's comment about Rife sued PING)

Am I the only one who would find this an interesting blog post? I can just see the page views rolling in for a story about the minutia of intellectual property law and first filing dates. 

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 2 weeks later...

But Chen, my comment is fact. Guerin Rife did sue Ping and then Ping stopped selling the original Ketsch that had variable grooves. Then Ping re-tooled and sold a Different Ketsch putter.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I had an EVNROLL ER2 but I just didn't like it. Honestly I have to get a black putter the EVNROLL reflected ally off the sun and that distracted me. I have gone back to my Ping Anser Scottsdale but am searching for something better. Looking for something with high MOI don't think my stroke is very consistent and I am losing a ton of strokes on the putting green.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

And here's a video of the Evnroll grooves in action

This video, after reading the MGS review, drove me to try Evnroll. I had never heard of the brand previously and I didn't even think they sold it in Hawaii. Walked passed the case where the more expensive putters were kept at my local store and immediately grabbed it and started rolling putts. It was my first mallet putter - I had always been drawn to them aesthetically, but I used to putt pretty well with my b60i so I never bothered (plus, I was a broke college kid before I took my golf hiatus). It was love at first swing. Once I found the correct length and put a little practice in on the green, I'm sinking way more putts and most-importantly, my lag putt game has improved dramatically.

• 1 month later...

I've never played a round with EVNROLL but I have tested them out and I wasn't overwhelmed by them. Actually I was a bit disappointed that they didn't wow me since the reviews on MGS were so good. I am also extremely sceptical about the claim that the ball curves back on-line. Has this ever been tested?

I went for Edel instead in the end and did my fitting in December. I like the putter and have played well with it this year, but I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the fitting. I'd watched a few videos on youtube, and I only seemed to go through half of what the people in the videos did. I also thought the choice of weight would be a bit more scientific than just "do you like that or would you like it to be heavier?".

In the end it was during a SAM Puttlab session that I learnt a bit more about the weighting and was then recommended to get a heavier headweight.*

*If you live outside of the US (I'm in Switzerland) then you should definitely get the weight kit when you order the putter because the shipping costs on the Edel website were absolutely ridiculous. Over 100 USD, and when I emailed Edel about it i never got a response. Luckily i found some on eBay.

• 2 months later...

I haven't tried Edel putters but I have tried mostly every other brand putters. I gamed a Bettinardi QB6 for a while and went to Carlsbad to get fit for either an ER1 or ER2 and ended up walking out with an ER5 hatchback.  I have never been gamed a mallet style putter so I was a it skeptical but during the fitting but I could not miss with the ER5.  I got the ER5 and have played with it for about a month now and my lag putting and putting overall has improved.  I don't see it leaving my bag anytime soon. 

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

I gamed an Evnroll ER1 for several months after testing the range at an Edwin Watts in Houston. The putter put an absolutely beautiful roll on the ball and had a great feel to it. The groove tech is legit. That said I always felt that it didn't me quite right and I was just missing a lot of putts. Went to Austin and got fitted by David Edel for an E-3 torque balanced putter. My aim was off a fair amount with the Evnroll and I needed some substantial counter weighting to fit my stroke, as well as a 72 degree lie angle instead of 70 and no offset versus the half shaft offset i had been playing. I am so excited for my E-3 to show up now that the suspense is killing me. But that said if you find an Evnroll that fits or is fitted to you they are great putters as well.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I have a friend that got custom fit for an Edel about 2 months ago. He said the process was quite in depth...and get this...the guy did it for free in his studio that he has. He of course bought the putter through him. I love rolling it. The round grip is quite interesting, but feels great. If I wasn't putting so we'll right now, I'd go get fit as well.... Seems incredible.

I've rolled the EvnRoll 5 or 6 times and none of them impressed me much. Just not for me. Feel wasn't right.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I just bought an Evnroll ER7.  If anything, I DIDN'T want an Evnroll because of the price.  I did a SAMLab fitting during which I tried multiple putters from multiple companies.  However, my numbers on the Evnroll ER7 proved to be superior.  I also had to have the loft adjusted to compensate for a forward press.

I left much poorer but at least won't be able to blame my putter going forward.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I've seen tons of positive press on both of these putters and I have to wonder what part of it is the service versus the marketing claims/effectiveness of the product? I don't see any pros on any tours using Evnroll and I've heard some crazy rationale as to why. I do see a few Edel putters on the tour, but they're certainly far & few between. One thing I've learned about business is that good service or perceived good service overcomes other flaws in products, businesses and people. So are these putters better than everything out there or does their personalized service create a halo around their product offerings. I tend to believe its the later. YMMV.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I've seen tons of positive press on both of these putters and I have to wonder what part of it is the service versus the marketing claims/effectiveness of the product? I don't see any pros on any tours using Evnroll and I've heard some crazy rationale as to why. I do see a few Edel putters on the tour, but they're certainly far & few between. One thing I've learned about business is that good service or perceived good service overcomes other flaws in products, businesses and people. So are these putters better than everything out there or does their personalized service create a halo around their product offerings. I tend to believe its the later. YMMV.

Why does tour presence really matter? It should be about your performance. Pros in today's world want to get paid to play a product and I am pretty sure neither do. And pros in many cases are no better than amateurs regarding what equipment they put in the bag.

For the record I have seen both brands in LPGA player bags.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Like cnosil said, the pros use their equipment as a platform to make more money. I'm sure if Guerin sent a free putter to Rory, he'd use it and probably really like it, but then he'd ask for a contract.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Small brands can't afford a lot of Tour presence.

I can't sing enough praises for the fitting that I received from David Edel recently. My putting has improved significantly due to the counter weighting and alignment changes that they made to the putter to fit me. 

Putts for me in my last 7 rounds prior to receiving my Edel: 33,34,30,37,30,33,34.

Since getting my Edel E-3: 29,30,31,30,26.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I can't sing enough praises for the fitting that I received from David Edel recently. My putting has improved significantly due to the counter weighting and alignment changes that they made to the putter to fit me.

Putts for me in my last 7 rounds prior to receiving my Edel: 33,34,30,37,30,33,34.

Since getting my Edel E-3: 29,30,31,30,26.

That's a big change. Confidence in your putter will help tremendously!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

• 2 years later...

I had a Scotty Cameron before and was lucky enough to customize an edel.

what an impressive philosophy to identify the best aiming and distance!!!! Reading the green is the final step you need to handle.

i love my Edel putter in all black and also that I can change the weight in three different ways depending on the speed of the greens. Meaning I can still use the same feeling on all kind of greens.

have for sure reduce my number of puts and more confident!

the evnroll was too heavy and no service for finding the perfect set up for your unique putter!