TESTERS WANTED! ×

Vision Golf Ball Testing - Setting the Stage

Super Tuna

Bonjourno,

So, by now, everyone has hopefully seen the threads started about Vision's Golf balls so I figured I would start to throw up my review . I'm going to do this in 3 parts over a week or so to give more course specific review so people can see how the different balls stack up against difference conditions and other balls.

Part 1: Chipping Green for 20 yard and under shots, plus putting - Wednesday

Part 2: 36 holes of Par 3 - Saturday

Part 3: 18 holes on a course that's better than me - Tuesday Morning

Player Background info:

As this will impact my comments I figured I should give a brief rundown of myself. I am 26, decent but not great shape but still quite athletic (I was on the verge of playing pro footie (soccer) before my knees blew out). I've been playing golf less than a year and sit in the ~25 handicap region despite not venturing into lessons yet (this fall). I'm not a long ball hitter by any stretch and despise picking up a driver most times however, I tend to excel at the short irons and wedge play.

Balls that are testing pool:

Vision's Pinky

Vision's Artic White

Vision's Gel, white

Vision's UV

Vision's GelX, Yellow

Titleist NXT

Callaway HX Bite

Srixon Z Star Yellow

Pinnacle Gold

Taylormade Burner Plus

With balls I'm testing for the standard stuff: Accuracy, Distance, Spin, Bounce/Bite, Putting Line, "Feel" and Sound.

Testing:

As mentioned, yesterday's testing was a lot of putting and short chips to try and dial everything in. In general, all the balls performed, some just better then others heh. I'm going to give my impressions of only the Vision's balls below. The other balls I listed are there for me to make comparison's to.

Vision's Pinky

First off, don't let your wife see this. She will immediately attempt to steal it and never give it back despite not playing or having any interest in golf what so ever. In this case, I was lucky a cookie bribe worked :)

Much like the UV ball, I found that this one had less spin then the GelX but more then others. It also had a extra kick on it in the air, I found it quite easy to sky it at will. This ball feels fairly light, but not as light as the Arctic or a Burner Plus. The click sound is quite muted when putting/chipping, you have to listen for it a bit more. Again, it held the putting line well but I found you could put more bend in this when many of the other Vision's balls. It's probably a quarter of a ball length less in turn then the Z/NXT, where as most of the other Vision's are more like half to a full. Again, I found this a better ball to bump and run with then stick it right by the pin, I also believe rolling it back isn't in the cards if that's one of your tricks. However this should be an excellent ball to get out of the bunkers with with how easy it is to get up quickly.

Vision's Arctic White

For me, this was the softest ball of the bunch and was the only one I managed to mark at all while chipping. To be honest I had a bit of trouble dialing this ball in, much like the Burner Plus, as they're super light. Thus, I tended to over hit these at first but started getting them closer over time. Again, good spin rates and a good putting line. Like the Pinky and Gel White, you can put more movement on your putts with this ball until it's twisting in the wind. It also has a decided "click" when you hit the ball, but I couldn't feel the impact at all on softer/shorter putts.

My general thought on this ball is it's for the better player with great control. It's very easy to put to much turn/spin on this ball for a beginner and there isn't that feel of actually hitting it to let you know when you botched the shot and then figure out how to fix it. I'll likely give this to one of my golfing friends who are all quite good but scared of playing a "funny coloured ball" and see what they can do with it.

Vision's Gel, white

First off, this ball just looks neat! It's like a smaller golf ball covered in an epoxy coating. Even the guys who don't want to play yellow or pink balls were all over this one. I don't imagine I'll get to keep it once the review is done either.

In the meantime, I found this to be a blend of the Pinky and Arctic. It feels like Boz started with the Arctic and then added a bit of weight and a bit less spin on the ball. Again, it's got a decided "click" both when you putt or chip but it's got some feeling behind it. I'd say this is for the golfer who can adjust their shots to fix mishits through the day and know what the adjustments will do. There's just enough feeling/weight in the ball to give you proper feedback on each shot, but it's faint, you'll have to know what you're looking for. In this I'd compare it to the difference between G15 and Diablo Edge irons. G15 irons/Gel White give you more subtle feedback on each shot so you can correct as the day goes along as need be, essentially allowing you to fix technique through feel where as the DE/Arctic White are all about fixing your technique but not the feel component (dear lord that was a ramble wasn't it...).

Vision's UV

- This balls looks very similar to the GelX yellow below but has a lower spin rate. I actually found I had to dial the swing back when chipping in regards the the GelX/NXT/Z as there's enough extra distance on this ball to notice on the short chips (going to be interesting to see the driving difference) that you'll need a few shots to dial it in. Thus I've found this a better ball for the bump and run then trying to bite it around the pin. This isn't to say there's no spin, I'm sure a better player could still make these dance, just not as much spin. Again, these are set more for distance I believe.

This ball is much like the GelX in terms of putting but it does feel more solid, more "clicky" off the face. Again, I like this in terms of how I putt, but for anyone who is use to super soft balls it's going to be a change.

Vision's GelX, Yellow - Gold Star!

Excellent spin rate and a very straight putting line, plus nice looks. There was very little to choose between this and the Z Star in regards to chipping and both balls get the nod over the NXT/HX as they both produced much more bite on the green. The main difference is in putting/price. With putting I found that the GelX had less of a turn on it then the Z/NXT/HX, it held to a straighter line when hitting a raised line in the green. To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of that yet. It seems like it will hold the course better, especially on longer putts and it also seems that I'm much less likely to miss the hole when the green takes the ball in an S curve as it won't hop out of your line. The only question I have in that regard is if someone who is exceptionally good at putting it going to get enough turn out of the ball if they just hit the edge of a mound in order to make it swing about. Maybe this isn't a shot that's required but I could maybe see it being an issue.

What I would like to clear up from the above is that the ball in no way feels heavy. It's not a rock (like the pinnacle) but it doesn't feel like a whiffle ball (like the Burner Plus), I imagine it sits in the medium weight category. There is a decided "click" when you putt the ball, but unlike some of the balls mentioned above, it's much fainter. Perhaps it's just me but I like both the click and the extra bit of weight on the ball over others. I can judge solid contact/contact point by the click (lets me know when I botched the lines) plus I can actually feel the ball hit the club, something that I lose in very light balls and drives me insane (also why I don't use Odyssey putters anymore). All in all, gold star for the GelX Yellow so far!

I hope the above ramblings help out a bit and give a decent idea about what I've found so far. I'm looking forward to Saturday and taking them over some nice Par 3's to get a better handle on them.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

looking forward to seeing the results, It's nice to see a ball for players like us making this much of a splash... Usually it is all about tour level balls...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

That works for me Ad. :)

But a quick note everyone that is looking to participate.

I am looking for a variety of reactions / impressions

to the different styles of the balls and the markings

etc plus the more mechanical comparisons

Please don't get to bogged down in your analysis as this

is also mean't to be a bit of fun along the way as I am

looking to share as many variations of balls as I can with

this group and that can then look like a bit of work rather

than the new and exciting experience, which I hope you all

take away from this initial exercise.

Time will tell for sure though. :)

Cheers, Boz.

Vision Golf Ball Concepts & Designs by The Atanak Co Australia (1980 - 2016)

Boz... I for one am actually very excited to see all the new stuff you are coming out with. I'm bored with seeing the same things with VERY minor variations, and then hearing the same claims out of all of them. Longer, Straighter, more Spin!! *bah* there aren't more than inches of difference in almost all of them. Better to make things interesting than just bore the market with the same old hype.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Look forward to see you test results.

VERY minor variations, and then hearing the same claims out of all of them. Longer, Straighter, more Spin!!

I agree cheymike. Try something that is truly innovative, do not be afraid to fail. Although the market does not allow for it, but I think people will see that you tried something different, instead of polishing an old turd.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

Thanks Ad, Nice job good descriptions that I believe create

and detailed impression from a regular player perspective. :D

Hey Mike and Nasty, from what I understand about the golf

industry as it now stands I felt like if I didn't take a

really different path to my story and style I don't think

there would be a reason for my company to exist.

The further I have gone on this path the more players I have

found that are so happy to SEE THEIR BALL BETTER which has

given my approach to the total design of the balls a chance to show their stuff.

Eye candy can be such a great start but its the substance of

the designs and the true practicality that will endure. B)

Cheers,

Boz.

from what I understand about the golf

industry as it now stands I felt like if I didn't take a

really different path to my story and style I don't think

there would be a reason for my company to exist.

That's great to hear. I, for one, am more interested in new innovations and more willing to take a chance on new a product becaus of that.

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers, they're gonna lock me up and throw away the key... - Carl Spackler

yea, that was a great write up...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Thanks for all the details Awincey. It has to be pretty cool to test an innovative product that most people haven't seen yet, and I'm with everyone else regarding the boredom with the same old products. It's refreshing to see someone looking at a product like the golf ball from a completely different perspective.

Played 18 today, of which I'll give some more thoughts later, but I passed one over to my father in law. His first 3 drives with it were 280ish and dead center when he normally hits 260 or so. He as pretty impressed and theived a sleeve out of my bag to keep using them :lol:

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

More thoughts to come tomorrow afternoon. The round I played yesterday did squat all to show me what the ball could do due to various circumstances

A: I won a fairway wood in one of our clients World Cup Pool and wanted to try it out. Not the smartest idea and it'll need some serious range time

B: The two groups before us no showed so the course made us tee of 45 min early, thus killing all our practice time. What's worse then going into 18 holes cold? Not much (oh yes, when we politely declined and said we wanted to keep our booked time they told us to tee of now or go away. I would have left but an out of town friend really wanted to play the course. Nice looking course but terrible relations).

C: I can attest to the visability of the ball. The UV's are all quite bright but when they sit in the sun, those puppies just glisten. I was hard pressed not to see them unless they were totally lost.

I can attest to the visability of the ball. The UV's are all quite bright but when they sit in the sun, those puppies just glisten. I was hard pressed not to see them unless they were totally lost.

That's great. Sometimes I can't see my golf balls in the rough. Did you see them UVs in those hard to see areas? I.e. rough, taller grass etc...

Hi Ad, funny sort of customer service! Make sure the 3 wood suits, not try and make it suit.

The other thing to think about with fairway woods is that there are some great mini woods

in 15deg/16deg that are branded Hybrid but I can tell you they are a more a wood than a

iron replacement.

The right version of one of these with the correct shaft is a lot more playable off the

variation of lies players tend to find in the real world and what I really like is the

fact you can get them up and going so much easier than many wood designs.

It all has to do with the sole design and some are effective and some are so flat

that you could do with with a tee.

Just a thought,

Boz.

Nasty Canasta: Rough was an easy spot, no difficulties at all. Grass wasn't much of a problem at all either until it hit knee high. I skyed a ball (way over shot the green on the 2nd hole) and I couldn't find it then, but I wouldn't find any other ball either. That grass was probably more then 4 feet high and quite dense.

The area I reeeeally liked it was with the trees. Given I'm in the PNW almost all the courses I play are tree lined so when you mishit, you're going to have to do some looking usually. In this case, the glowing yellow really stands out on the brown and I could bee line it right to my ball no problem.

Boz:

Understand on the wood, and I certainly agree about many hybrids being more like a wood. I'm going to give this one a go for a bit before I decided to Ebay it or not though. It's just so shiny :P (and yes, I realize that's a really dumb reason to keep it heh)

Boz, maybe you can help me here. I'm currently playing a Bridgestone e7, because I absolutely love the ball flight. The only problem with them is that the only time they spin is on full shots. I previously played the Callaway Tour ix and I love the green side spin I got with them, but my ball flight was extremely high and the covers would get so scuffed that I had to toss them after 5-6 holes. Do you know of any ball (or hopefully you have one) that is the best of both these worlds and a little more resilient?

Hi JB, The Jaws wedges can be quite harsh on ball covers so that

is one issue in regards to urethane (Tour)covered balls the other

is the E7 is not really meant to spin much on partial wedge shots.

I am looking at this area with my X3 balls but the ionomer cover

may still shear up at present with those grooves.

I would be looking at the 2010 RX330 in the Bridgestone lineup to

try and maybe Zstar X and if on special try the 2009 RX as they

have been at good prices here in Oz recently.

Cheers,

Boz.

Thanks for the response. I have tried the RX330, but I seem to lose a little carry, maybe because it's built for a little slower swing speed. I will have to try out your X3 and maybe the Srixon. As far as the grooves, I have noticed these are a little harsh, but I have played about every other wedge on the market and had the same problem. I'm waiting on a Scratch 58* and hopefully it will solve some of my problems with cover wear.

Hi JB, yes the Rx is a lower core compression setup and where

you are heading is the compromise zone where a Tour player will

probably play the less durable ball because they are free and

us as retail players will continue to look for that ball that

has the distance/spin and durability.

This is why I am looking at cover durability as a key point

of my Tour Vision Project because we need balls that have a

reasonable life span.

Grooves - most new / or not so used current wedges that are

legal for amateurs and are still tough on balls no matter the brand.

The new tour rules if applied to retail players would make it easier

for me but I can see sharp wedges in play for a while.

Boz.

Archived