GolfSpy Shawn

GRANDMASTER SPY

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationDuBois, PA
  • Handicap:15

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

Hello everyone!

As I'm sure a large number of our readership does, each morning when I get to work I have a certain set of tabs that I open and check. One of those is the MyGolfSpy blog.

This morning started the same way it always does and lead to one of my favorite reads of the year, the Evnroll highlight post of our member testing.

Let's think of this for a minute. On a website where we are all about #powertotheplayer and being #datacritic, on the same site that broke the Costco story to the golfing world, we are able to showcase what YOU guys do for us every day here in the forums.

It's just nice to give the members some recognition. I know how much work goes into these reviews (they aren't easy) and the guys from the Evnroll thread killed it, but let's not forget what the rest of the testers of 2016 put on the forum. Being blunt, you guys crushed it.

Great job!

Thanks for all the hard work this year!

So what did you guys think? Do you like having a spotlight on reviews throughout the season? Does it add or detract from the experience? Would love to hear thoughts!

:titelist-small: 917 D3 7.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: Apex CF16 5-PW with Fujikura MCI 80g Stiff Shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:edel-golf-1: Wedges in 50, 55, 60 in Driver & Digger bounce, with custom stamping, special edition Nippon Modus Pro 115 shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips. 

:edel-golf-1: Willamette with S2 Hosel, 32” length and “Chef’s Choice” Custom Design.

Jones Original Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
FootJoy DNA BOA & Biion Golf Shoes.
Leupold GX-4i Laser Rangefinder.

Twitter: @golfspyshawn

Instagram: @golfspyshawn

#2 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,020 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3.9

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

First off thanks Shawn. As a participant in several reviews I know the amount of work that they take. I truly appreciate the ability to ineract with reviewers when considering purchases. I've bought or not bought base upon MGS reviews and that interaction,

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app
<p>Driver: G30 10.5</p><p>Fairway woods: Callaway xHot extremes</p><p>Hybrid: SLDR S (not C) </p><p>Irons: Wilson C 200 aldila rogue 75 5-PW     2 degrees flat</p><p>Wedges: SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite  2 degrees flat </p><p>Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"</p><p>Bag: Nike Cart</p><p>Ball: Bridgestone B330 RX, Snell MTB

#3 GolfSpy Barbajo

GolfSpy Barbajo

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Administrators
  • 6,228 posts
  • LocationPrior Lake, MN
  • Handicap:5.8

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:58 PM

I'll echo Shawn's statements -- the hardest part of writing that piece was cutting down the number of quotes from the testers.  There was so much awesome analysis and commentary that I hated cutting some of it out, but it had to be done otherwise we have another epic of "War And Peace" proportions.

And you know what the worst part of it all is?  After writing it I had this nagging urge to get fit for an Evnroll. I think my Edel knows what's up -- and doesn't like it.

fantasy-golf-2016-signature.jpg

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex 440, 9.5*, weight forward, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73 shaft, stiff, tipped 1/4";  :srixon-small: Z-565, 9.5*, Miyazaki Kaula shaft, stiff

Mini Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini 1.5, 11*, Kuro Kage 60G shaft, stiff

FW Wood:  :ping-small: G Stretch 3, 13*, PING Alta Shaft, stiff;  :mizuno-small: JPX-900, 14*, Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution II shaft, stiff

Hybrids:  :benhogan-small: VKTR 17 & 21*, Aldila NV 85H shaft, stiff;  :srixon-small: H65, 19*, Miyazaki Kaula hybrid shaft, stiff

Irons:  :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6, 4-PW, DG AMT, stiff;  :benhogan-small: PTx, 25*-45*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff

Wedges:  :benhogan-small: Ft. Worth 15, 49-53-57-61*, KBS C-Taper shafts, stiff;  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*, DG Wedge flex;
                  :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind, 56-60*, KBS Tour-V Wedge flex

Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#4 GolfSpy Shawn

GolfSpy Shawn

GRANDMASTER SPY

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationDuBois, PA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

Barbajo!

That's huge news. You have to document that for us if you do...

:titelist-small: 917 D3 7.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: Apex CF16 5-PW with Fujikura MCI 80g Stiff Shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:edel-golf-1: Wedges in 50, 55, 60 in Driver & Digger bounce, with custom stamping, special edition Nippon Modus Pro 115 shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips. 

:edel-golf-1: Willamette with S2 Hosel, 32” length and “Chef’s Choice” Custom Design.

Jones Original Golf Bag.

#5 jlukes

jlukes

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members

• 1,203 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Handicap:4

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

Very cool. I really try to keep superlatives out of my reviews unless something truly blows me away. The Evnroll is also really solid putter in just about every aspect.

In my Sun Mountain 2017 3.5LS

:taylormade-small: 2017 M2 10.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 65 6.0
:taylormade-small: 2017 M2 3HL 16.5* - HZRDUS Black 75 6.0
:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 19* Hybrid - Kuro Kage 80HY S
:srixon-small:  z745 4-PW - KBS Tour 120S
:titelist-small:  Vokey SM6 50.12F, 54.14F & 60.08M
EVNROLL ER2
:taylormade-small: TP5x

#6 Peterpc2828

Peterpc2828

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • LocationMonmouth Beach, NJ
  • Handicap:11

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:24 PM

I enjoyed reading it, it's a. Ice summary to the full reviews, good job

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

#7 GolfSpy Shawn

GolfSpy Shawn

GRANDMASTER SPY

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationDuBois, PA

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

That just means you tell it like it is jlukes. That's a great trait to have.

Jones Original Golf Bag.

#8 737Flyer

737Flyer

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

I have the ER1 and love it. It goes right where you aim. If they would make a set of eyes that would aim at the hole, I would buy those. Very happy with the purchase. Sold my Scotty Cameron and won't look back.

#9 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,020 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:3.9

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

The only issue that I have with nine is that it's eliminated an excuse for misses. I can't blame the putter, it's all on me now.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app
<p>Driver: G30 10.5</p><p>Fairway woods: Callaway xHot extremes</p><p>Hybrid: SLDR S (not C) </p><p>Irons: Wilson C 200 aldila rogue 75 5-PW     2 degrees flat</p><p>Wedges: SCOR 48, 53, 60 Genius graphite  2 degrees flat </p><p>Putter Never Comprimise Vodoo Daddy 32.5"</p><p>Bag: Nike Cart</p><p>Ball: Bridgestone B330 RX, Snell MTB

#10 GolfSpy Shawn

GolfSpy Shawn

GRANDMASTER SPY

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationDuBois, PA

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:16 PM

Nothing like turning the spotlight back onto the player, huh Rev? Haha.

Jones Original Golf Bag.

#11 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,017 posts
  • LocationDC Metro
  • Handicap:17

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

As one of the reviewers I was thrilled to see the Blog piece. O think it did a good job of capturing some of the many thoughts we had.

I would certainly like to see it continued with future reviews where the staff feels it's warranted.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:srixon-small:  Z565 10.5 Miyazaki Mizu R Shaft    :titelist-small:  917 F2 18*  Diamana Red 60g Stiff  :titelist-small: 816 H1 21* and 23* Diamana   :srixon-small: 565 in 5,6 and 7 iron, 765 in the 8,9 and PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Shaft in R flex   :titelist-small: SM6 50.08, 54.08 and 58.12  :cameron-small: X7M   :titelist-small: ProV1X #17

#12 GolfSpy Shawn

GolfSpy Shawn

GRANDMASTER SPY

• MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• 1,007 posts
  • LocationDuBois, PA

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

You guys did a great job, no doubt. Our members consistently put an excellent product out there in there reviews. I just loved the airtime to show that to the general public.

Jones Original Golf Bag.

#13 737Flyer

737Flyer

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

I just exchanged my ER1 for the ER5. I think the hatchback will help me with my alignment of the putt vs the blade. Playing 9 holes tomorrow so will see how it does. Have high hopes for it. Liked the ER1 but think this is better suited for my abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 chemclub

chemclub

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 408 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Handicap:10

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:36 PM

I'll just affirm what has already been said and encourage MGS to do more of it. If nothing else, it reminded me to check out the evnroll thread for updates. Nice way to drive folks to the forum as well.

Barba, I really liked how tight and concise it was. I think you always want to err on the side of brief versus over-long. As said above—head to the forum for a deep read.

And Shawn - like you, I check MGS every single morning - always bummed when there isn't a new post. The only problem is I check it several times through out the day too! At some point, the work I get paid to do needs some attention!

Driver: TM R11 9.5* Fujikura Blur S

Woods: Mizuno JPX EZ 15* Fujikura SIX XLR8 Fairway S
Hybrids: TM Rescue R11 Aldila RIP 85 gram, 18*
Irons: Maxfli Revolution black dot 4-PW (24*-48*), S300 dynamic gold shafts
Wedges: GW(52*) Old rusted bladed I found on the range (it does have a shaft)
Wedges: SW(56*) LW(60*) Old Cleveland CG11 hand me downs (shaft stickers pealed off)
Putter: Ping Ally (1999) - all this time together and I can only ever blame the putter and not the putter for bad putts

#15 737flyguy

737flyguy

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

Just picked up the new ER7. With PGA superstore return policy I was able to try the ER1 and ER5 for couple rounds each. Went with the ER7. Hit it the best. Have a huge tournament this weekend so hopefully it pays off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Our Sponsors