TESTERS WANTED! ×

Game Changers

Gogolf

What's one thing you've done or implemented that has changed your game and taken you through a plateau in your golf game?

It could be going back to a trusty putter, getting a new coach, custom fitting, etc.

Hopefully this thread can be a crowdsourcing of ideas and best practices!

Lessons to eliminate my ott move + how to hit a draw

It moved my angle of attack with the driver from - 5 to almost neutral and my launch numbers from

7* and 3400 rpms

To

11 and and 2500 rpms

Gained about yards of carry (255 to 265) and over 20 yards of total distance off the tee with those changes.

Gained another 10 yards off carry when I got fitted into my m1 and got my numbers to 12 and 2200

1. Working with my pro/instructor/coach. 2. And buying clubs fit and built just for me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Moving to a golf course, getting a cart, and being to play much more often.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Not taking golf seriously as I have in past years. I have much more fun now that I realized you get more out of the game if you don't beat ya head against the pavement. Little things like sharing laughs with friends and building memories with family members are the real game changes in golf.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I used to drink 6 to 8 beers per round when playing with buddies, reduced that to max of 4. Found that sweet spot of 2 per nine keeps things loose but not too loose. That's in addition to finally learning my real yardages across the bag: really improved my greens in regulation, and dropped me 3 strokes on average.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Searching
Wood: Cobra Fly-Z 3 wood factory stiff shaft
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 3-hybrid factory stiff shaft
Irons: Cobra F8 One Length 5-GW
Wedges: 52,56,60 Mizuno mp t5
Putter: Sentio Red (Medium)
Ball: Bridgestone E6 Speed, and Titleist Pro V1

I used to drink 6 to 8 beers per round when playing with buddies, reduced that to max of 4. Found that sweet spot of 2 per nine keeps things loose but not too loose. That's in addition to finally learning my real yardages across the bag: really improved my greens in regulation, and dropped me 3 strokes on average.

I like your game plan :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Glad you cut it way down. I've never understood how alcohol helps a guy play better. I have nothing against a cold one. I like having a beer just like the next guy. I've watched over and over guys pounding down the suds as their game slides into the crapper. Then afterwards as I have my beer they complain "how they lost it on the back". That's when I tell them drinking, playing golf, and gambling does mix. Thanks guys! $$$  Keep it up. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1. Custom fitted clubs including putter.

2. Practicing more.

Taylormade M1

Titleist 816 H1

Titleist 916 AP1 4-GW

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges

64 Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedge

Ping Ketsch mid putter

Titleist deluxe cart bag

TecTecTec range finder

CaddyTek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart

Country Club Elite® Hitting Strip 10"x30"

Rukket Haack Golf Net By SEC Coach Chris Haack 10 X 7ft

Not taking golf seriously as I have in past years. I have much more fun now that I realized you get more out of the game if you don't beat ya head against the pavement. Little things like sharing laughs with friends and building memories with family members are the real game changes in golf.

True that gray. I'm pretty terrible at golf. Still a 20+ Handicap. I do want to improve some. Be happy to be a 15 to 20. But, what always keeps us going back is laughing with friends.464ff81f9655b24927831da9c3717d62.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1. Working with my pro/instructor/coach. 2. And buying clubs fit and built just for me.

Ditto and then also playing in a league that was individual modified stableford scoring over the course of a long season. That taught me to not fritter away strokes. Bogeys actually matter because they get a point. It's when I learned that a punch out or approach shot to the safe side of the green is almost always the better play.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Could you also list which plateau it helped you to break through?

Mine eventually got me to where I was breaking 75 consistently and had a handicap index around 1. I actually had a strong of 3 consecutive competitive round under par.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me if I am playing a course for the first time, I look back at each hole from the green and see it from that prospective. It really shows you how some holes are designed to make you think from the tee to the green. I find it helps me pick my spots to attack.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Moving to a golf course, getting a cart, and being to play much more often.

This is what got me better. Going every night and just hitting for 45 minutes to an hour right before dark has helped tremendously. Before I moved to the course I was consistently around the 100s and in the last 2 years I've got down to the mid 80s on average. Still a long ways to go cuz I'm a competitive freak and hate to lose lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

...hoping that getting fit for single length irons where I can groove a single repeatable swing and let the technology of the club do the work will be a the game changer for me this year.

searching for consistency and less dispersion (i.e. hit it relatively the same distance each time and know where it is going most every time!)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

For me my game changers have come in stages.

Starting out, my first game changer was being fit for a full set of clubs. That season I dropped 30 strokes from my game. The next game changer was starting to take lessons. I've totally revamped my shot shape and dramatically improved my accuracy. I'm hoping I'm on the edge of another game changer this season. Starting the year 80 pounds lighter than last year I hope to bring more speed to the table and to continue working with my instructor to transfer that speed into a more efficient energy transfer. if I can up my distances throughout the bag and maintain my accuracy/course management I expect low single digits for the handicap by seasons end!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

For me my game changers have come in stages.

Starting out, my first game changer was being fit for a full set of clubs. That season I dropped 30 strokes from my game. The next game changer was starting to take lessons. I've totally revamped my shot shape and dramatically improved my accuracy. I'm hoping I'm on the edge of another game changer this season. Starting the year 80 pounds lighter than last year I hope to bring more speed to the table and to continue working with my instructor to transfer that speed into a more efficient energy transfer. if I can up my distances throughout the bag and maintain my accuracy/course management I expect low single digits for the handicap by seasons end!

WOW!  80 pounds... that's incredible!  Congrats on the hard work.  Hope it translates well for you!!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

My biggest game changer ever? Being honest with myself about my distances.

A variation on this:  remembering that how far I *can* go is not how far i *will* or *should* go.

When *can* is 280, but *will* is likely 260, and should it more like 240.  I file it under 'smarter'.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

WOW! 80 pounds... that's incredible! Congrats on the hard work. Hope it translates well for you!!

Thank you sir! I appreciate it very much. I'm not done yet, but every step is a step towards the end!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I need to learn to understand my limitations on the course and play with what I have. I don't have a lot of practice time these days and would much rather play. Some days I am striping a driver and other days I am not so taking a lesser club off the tee is the play. I had the mindset that I could still play like I did a decade ago when golf was my life and now understanding it is not has been huge for me.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Biggest game changer for me?...watching golf. I watch every round of every tourney. I have been playing better then ever by just watching and replicating swings. Handicap is dropping like a college girls panties.

Sent from my iPhone while sitting at the 19th hole.

Archived