TESTERS WANTED! ×

Edel Single Length Irons.

Sschaffer24

image.jpg

Saw this on twitter the other day.

What do you guys think? I listened to an episode of Golf Science Lab where they interview David Edel about their new Single Length irons that they are releasing. For those who don't know, Edel was the company who designed Bryson Dechambeau's irons that he gamed before signing with Cobra.

I really love the conversation where he talks about the issues with the shaft. What Paderson is able to do with their individual kevlar fibers in order to tune each shaft is simply amazing. Makes me wonder the difference in performance from one single length to another. These Edel clubs seem to be on a different level than the other offerings.

Thoughts?

Here is a link to the episode for those who want to listen: https://soundcloud.com/golf-science-lab/the-details-about-single-length-irons-w-david-edel

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope they make a 3i. I would like to try and see if the shorter shafted 3i could be an even bettter option off the tee for me Thanh normal 3

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Very nice and intrigued about one length irons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Very nice and intrigued about one length irons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Same here. I would love to go through an Edel fitting for these and their other irons to get a comparison from what I would consider to be about the best fitting I could find. My coach has Edel so this may happen at some point.

I'm very intrigued!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Saw this on twitter the other day.

What do you guys think? I listened to an episode of Golf Science Lab where they interview David Edel about their new Single Length irons that they are releasing. For those who don't know, Edel was the company who designed Bryson Dechambeau's irons that he gamed before signing with Cobra.

I really love the conversation where he talks about the issues with the shaft. What Paderson is able to do with their individual kevlar fibers in order to tune each shaft is simply amazing. Makes me wonder the difference in performance from one single length to another. These Edel clubs seem to be on a different level than the other offerings.

Thoughts?

Here is a link to the episode for those who want to listen: https://soundcloud.com/golf-science-lab/the-details-about-single-length-irons-w-david-edel

Right at the end he talks about THEIR ability, if a player wants, to go with two lengths, or three lengths! Wow! They can make the set the best way for the golfer and there's no limit.

So cool.

Yeah it is really cool isn't it PMookie?

What I took away from their system is the insane level of control that Edel is going to have over every aspect of the club. To be able to have individually flight characteristics per each shaft based on the needs on the player without changing weight/flex?! That's bonkers.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Yeah it is really cool isn't it PMookie?

What I took away from their system is the insane level of control that Edel is going to have over every aspect of the club. To be able to have individually flight characteristics per each shaft based on the needs on the player without changing weight/flex?! That's bonkers.

Yeah, and you can bet I'm going to go through a fitting! That would be INSANE!!!!

I really want to hit the irons they currently have out. I love their looks!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm with you. Golf Galaxy in Pittsburgh fit me for their wedges/putter I don't know what it is but I'm just terrified to go there to test the irons. I feel like I can't get lucky three times in a row in that environment. Haha.

With that being said, having the new set really puts the brakes on that idea. I'm just excited to get into golf season in the next couple months!

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Good looking irons. I think that is great that they have flexibility to customize. If I were going to do it I think I would do 7 thru 4 as one length but then step down lengths on 8 to Gw as usual or in maybe two steps so that the transition to the other wedges is not so drastic.

I think you could probably do that with Cobras as well since the regular F7s are similar to the one length F7s.

Peterpc2828-I agree it would be fun to see a head to head comparison. I have to say the Edels look prettier so first point goes to Edel.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Now this is from my stand point from an engineering level or mechanical level so to speak. I have been intriqued with the whole developement process from the beginning. It is one Engineering feat getting the lies weights and bounces correct for a whole set. I have also been reading up on Tom Wishon's version of same length irons.

I will say they are not my cup of tea but I do appreciate the engineering efforts of both Edel and Wishon

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Pretty funny when he said he'd never make another set of Single length again, but maybe he meant he never personally would.

They have a sweet look, that triangular muscle is quite common in a lot of irons lately ( maybe regularly, but I haven't paid much attention until the last year or two since us began following Srixon and Mizuno MP5) but like 9woodfan notes, pricey.

I'm intrigued to try the cobra offerings, and hoping that they throw a few sets to MGS for forum reviewing. As much as I'd like to go for the nominally better looking forged cobra 1s, I think the F7 may be better for me. Anywho

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Did the cobra vs wishing fitting. I'm shorter at 5'6" and with longer arms at 32" from wrist to floor. So I wanted them to play between a 8-9i. The fitter said getting the cobras to all play a D2-3 swing weight would be tough. The wishon come with an extended hosel depth for SW increase. So that started the leaning towards Sterling irons.

After hitting them and doing a gap analysis with the 9-7-5 it was a no brainer the Sterlings were more consistent.

There's some rather unique tech in the Sterling irons that made the 7 and 5 hit the necessary distance "easier".

The only win for cobra is they looked better.

I'm now gaming the Sterlings 5-Pw at 36.25" playing length and D2 sw.

M3 kuro kage XM 6s

g425 3w LST tour ad VR 6s

Baffler F6 5w evenflow red 7s

F7 OL 4i Steelfiber 110cw

Miura PP9005g 5-PW elevate tour

cleveland rtx 50* DG

Glide 3.0 eye 54* DG

Hi-toe 60* DG

Did the cobra vs wishing fitting. I'm shorter at 5'6" and with longer arms at 32" from wrist to floor. So I wanted them to play between a 8-9i. The fitter said getting the cobras to all play a D2-3 swing weight would be tough. The wishon come with an extended hosel depth for SW increase. So that started the leaning towards Sterling irons.

After hitting them and doing a gap analysis with the 9-7-5 it was a no brainer the Sterlings were more consistent.

There's some rather unique tech in the Sterling irons that made the 7 and 5 hit the necessary distance "easier".

The only win for cobra is they looked better.

I'm now gaming the Sterlings 5-Pw at 36.25" playing length and D2 sw.

Good to know! I remember reading about the Wishons having more set up and adjustable options, and wondered exactly what they were.

I will say, of the 4 that i know about ( Cobra, Edel, Pin Hawk and Wishon) and ay the Edels are the best looking overall, but I do like the TecFlo design on the Cobra F7 SL. I'm quickly getting over aesthetics over in favor of function, but Can someone design them to look like the Srixons ????

I should be demoing a set next month. Pretty excited. I have to say, cobra's jump into single length seemed extremely rushed. Especially with the January release. As a company that lacks the bespoke touch, I don't see the cobra's out performing wishon or Edel of an off the tack set doesn't fit you.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Where Wishon has a bonus is his 5 hybrid. Same length and specs as the 5 iron for slower swingers. I can't imagine how easy a 36.5" hybrid would be to play!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Don't give edel any ideas. The last thing they need is more of my money.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

You and me both. They sure make some great stuff...

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

https://www.mygolfspy.com/the-story-behind-sterling-irons-club-design-from-start-to-finish/

Great Sterling read... funny he went to Edel first and they said no.

I think DeChambeau is a family friend of Edel and was already an established high level college/amateur.

If nothing else it's a slick looking set of irons. Just don't know that the single length concept works for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work others.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Your middle name is Sterling! They have to work for you! Ha

lol you'd think so right?

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

sorta off topic, I've played the sterlings since october and hit them against the cobras inside today, club for club the sterlings won hands down.  I hit the f7 as there seems to be a shortage of the forged to demo for whatever reason.  I'm sold on single length, they won't cut 20 strokes off your game but my misses are much better and I hit more consistently with the irons.  I figured my ho'ing days were close to an end and now the edels show up.......give me strength

• 2 weeks later...

WHOA!  What a difference in price... 

Here's the breakdown that I found.

Edel 5-PW $1,470.00
https://edelgolf.com/collections/single-length-irons

Sterling 5-PW $702.00

http://sterlingirons.com/#pricing

Cobra 5-GW $699.00

http://www.cobragolf.com/king-f7-one-length-iron-set

Cobra Forged 4-PW $999.00

http://www.cobragolf.com/king-forged-one-length-iron-set

The Edel's may be the prettiest but ... my goodness are they expensive!  I realize the shafts are customized by Paderson but that upcharge is more than 2x the cost of the Sterling/Cobra steel shafts....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

If those prices are correct that's only a small upcharge over Edel's typical iron prices. For the difference in craftsmanship and manufacturing (plus the differences in shaft performance/characteristics) it seems worth it to me.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

If those prices are correct that's only a small upcharge over Edel's typical iron prices. For the difference in craftsmanship and manufacturing (plus the differences in shaft performance/characteristics) it seems worth it to me.

I completely agree. Shaft specs alone, there's no comparison between the sets as far as the ultimate fitting goes. $1260 for 4-PW for the normal Edel irons.

Archived