TESTERS WANTED! ×

Edel Single Length Irons.

Sschaffer24

If those prices are correct that's only a small upcharge over Edel's typical iron prices. For the difference in craftsmanship and manufacturing (plus the differences in shaft performance/characteristics) it seems worth it to me.

Oh how I wish....

Long gone are the days when I can spend 1500+ on SIX (5,6,7,8,9,PW) golf clubs ... 

quick math here... 1470/6 = 245 per iron (pretax!).  hahhahhahhaaaahhahhahhaaahhaaa....

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is always a price for performance. 

if it was a significant jump in performance and consistency would it be worth it? Say 10 yards of consistent distance, straighter ball flight and 3-5 strokes off your handicap?

Not saying any of this would happen, but where is the tipping point for price versus optimal performance?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

if it was a significant jump in performance and consistency would it be worth it? Say 10 yards of consistent distance, straighter ball flight and 3-5 strokes off your handicap?

Not saying any of this would happen, but where is the tipping point for price versus optimal performance?

I agree and some are willing to pay that price.  I'm sure that they can justify it too.  Maybe they play in a lot of tournaments or are members of one or more country clubs or just want to make the investment because they can.

I'm just-a-guy that has fun playing golf with his buddies.  I'm not a member of a country club. I rarely ever play in tournaments (unless one of my big buck$ friends invites me) and just play for the love of the game.  I try not to play on weekends because it's so crowded and twice the price.  I very rarely - if ever - pay more than 50 dollars for a round.  I walk whenever they allow it to save money on the cart fee.  I don't take lessons.  I don't have a pro. Golf is an expensive sport.

I enjoy the science and physics behind the game as well as the never-ending challenge.

My quest is to find the best, most consistent, easiest to hit, lowest scoring clubs with the least amount of dispersion at the lowest price.  All of those things have to intersect at some point....  :)

And when they do I'll know it because my score will reflect it.  

I know I'll never be an expert at this but I'm willing to make some investment for performance and consistency...but price is a factor.  If I can shave 3 strokes off my handicap with 70% consistency/performance on a set of clubs @ $700 or shave 5 strokes with 80% @ $1500 then, in my mind, it's a no-brainer; that little bit extra isn't worth more than twice the price.

...but that's just me.  To each their own.  I make no judgements whatsoever.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

WHOA!  What a difference in price... 

Here's the breakdown that I found.

Edel 5-PW $1,470.00

https://edelgolf.com/collections/single-length-irons

Sterling 5-PW $702.00

http://sterlingirons.com/#pricing

Cobra 5-GW $699.00

http://www.cobragolf.com/king-f7-one-length-iron-set

Cobra Forged 4-PW $999.00

http://www.cobragolf.com/king-forged-one-length-iron-set

The Edel's may be the prettiest but ... my goodness are they expensive!  I realize the shafts are customized by Paderson but that upcharge is more than 2x the cost of the Sterling/Cobra steel shafts....

On my trip to Phoenix these past two weeks, I stopped at the PGA Superstore and hit the Cobras.  They were steel shaft and with my slower swing speed, it was clearly obvious to me that the long irons were going to be a problem.  If the Edel fitting truly customizes the weight, feel, and launch conditions of each club for the customer, I can understand why they are so much more expensive.  I think this will be the only way that a single length iron system will work for most players.  When you have the same shaft designed for different swing characteristics and adjustable weighting in each head, a fitter can make each club for an individual fly a particular distance and height. I know without even trying the Edel SLS clubs that it would be a better fit for my swing than the Cobras that I tried.

Is the cost of the Edel's worth it?  Only you can make that determination.  If you commit to the change, it only makes sense that individually fitted clubs would give better performance.  Will I do it? I'm tempted, but at my age I'm not sure that I can justify it.  I need a windfall.   :unsure:

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think ultimately with anything golf related price will at some point become relevant. While we are all in different places in life, in the relative big picture of golf for the level of customization and control over the process you get for the money that doesn't sound ridiculously steep. Keep in mind these won't be available off the rack like the Cobras. That's a huge difference because for someone like you Kenny you're not walking out of there with a set unless there IS a noticeable difference.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I think ultimately with anything golf related price will at some point become relevant. While we are all in different places in life, in the relative big picture of golf for the level of customization and control over the process you get for the money that doesn't sound ridiculously steep. Keep in mind these won't be available off the rack like the Cobras. That's a huge difference because for someone like you Kenny you're not walking out of there with a set unless there IS a noticeable difference.

Well, David Edel said that it's not so much that there will be a noticeable difference, but will his SLS clubs maintain the distance that someone already has.  For me, there will not be a noticeable distance increase and since I generally hit my irons reasonably straight already, they won't give be better accuracy.  The big gain for me would be if I can maintain the distance and gapping that I already have, AND be more consistent with my shots.  I would love to get fitted for the Edel's but any advantage for me would be fewer fat or thin shots, and I don't think I would know that until I played with them for awhile.  That's an expensive proposition just to find out.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On my trip to Phoenix these past two weeks, I stopped at the PGA Superstore and hit the Cobras.  They were steel shaft and with my slower swing speed, it was clearly obvious to me that the long irons were going to be a problem.  If the Edel fitting truly customizes the weight, feel, and launch conditions of each club for the customer, I can understand why they are so much more expensive.  I think this will be the only way that a single length iron system will work for most players.  When you have the same shaft designed for different swing characteristics and adjustable weighting in each head, a fitter can make each club for an individual fly a particular distance and height. I know without even trying the Edel SLS clubs that it would be a better fit for my swing than the Cobras that I tried.

Is the cost of the Edel's worth it?  Only you can make that determination.  If you commit to the change, it only makes sense that individually fitted clubs would give better performance.  Will I do it? I'm tempted, but at my age I'm not sure that I can justify it.  I need a windfall.   :unsure:

If the Edel fitting truly customizes the weight, feel, and launch conditions of each club for the customer, I can understand why they are so much more expensive.  I think this will be the only way that a single length iron system will work for most players.  When you have the same shaft designed for different swing characteristics and adjustable weighting in each head, a fitter can make each club for an individual fly a particular distance and height. I know without even trying the Edel SLS clubs that it would be a better fit for my swing than the Cobras that I tried.

.... they do the same thing with the Sterling's; you find a fitter and they customize each club to make sure all of the specs are accurate.

- also, there isn't "one" way to build a single length club to make up for the changes in the 'low number' and 'high number' clubs.  Edel has a way but Sterling and Cobra have both also come up with their own ways to do it.
If you're curious these 2 videos show Mark Crossfield and his mate playing with both the Sterling and Cobras; I think Mark was pleasantly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRyiDiyUps (there are 2 parts..)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

If the Edel fitting truly customizes the weight, feel, and launch conditions of each club for the customer, I can understand why they are so much more expensive.  I think this will be the only way that a single length iron system will work for most players.  When you have the same shaft designed for different swing characteristics and adjustable weighting in each head, a fitter can make each club for an individual fly a particular distance and height. I know without even trying the Edel SLS clubs that it would be a better fit for my swing than the Cobras that I tried.

.... they do the same thing with the Sterling's; you find a fitter and they customize each club to make sure all of the specs are accurate.

- also, there isn't "one" way to build a single length club to make up for the changes in the 'low number' and 'high number' clubs.  Edel has a way but Sterling and Cobra have both also come up with their own ways to do it.
If you're curious these 2 videos show Mark Crossfield and his mate playing with both the Sterling and Cobras; I think Mark was pleasantly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRyiDiyUps (there are 2 parts..)

I'm not familiar with how the Sterling fitting work, but are they changing the specific shaft in the irons to tailor the ball flight and so on, or when you say specs are you simply referring to loft, lie, grips, etc?

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I'm not familiar with how the Sterling fitting work, but are they changing the specific shaft in the irons to tailor the ball flight and so on, or when you say specs are you simply referring to loft, lie, grips, etc?

There are multiple customization options available...

To satisfy my custom fitting requests, Tom designed a hidden hosel weight bore that allows us to add up to 10 grams of weight to the club head. This lets us accommodate different lengths, different MOIs, and different swing weights… as well as add an extra gram or two here and there when needed to account for the minor changes in weight you see from head to head as part of normal manufacturing tolerances.

Sterling Single Length Set of Irons.pdf

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

There are multiple customization options available...

To satisfy my custom fitting requests, Tom designed a hidden hosel weight bore that allows us to add up to 10 grams of weight to the club head. This lets us accommodate different lengths, different MOIs, and different swing weights… as well as add an extra gram or two here and there when needed to account for the minor changes in weight you see from head to head as part of normal manufacturing tolerances.

attachicon.gifSterling Single Length Set of Irons.pdf

The problem with a hosel weight bore is that it puts the weight higher in the heel of the club which may not be optimal for some players.  I didn't see it in reading about the Sterlings, but it sounds like they are using one of the Wishon S2S shafts for a build.  Yes, they are all the same weight, same balance point, etc., but there will be a point in the long irons where distance and trajectory will suffer. That's why they went to the hybrid.  I like the looks of the Sterlings though.

The Edel SLS irons are custom built for each person, including the Paderson shaft in the way the filaments are wound.  So, the same shaft with the same weight will have varying flex and kick point depending on which club you are hitting.  That allows the clubs to feel and swing the same, but the low-lofted clubs will launch higher, and the high-lofted clubs will launch lower, and give you the proper gapping.  That's why they are so much more expensive.  If I were going to go with single length irons, the Edel would be my choice, because I believe they can be fit to my swing the best.  

The problem with a hosel weight bore is that it puts the weight higher in the heel of the club which may not be optimal for some players.  I didn't see it in reading about the Sterlings, but it sounds like they are using one of the Wishon S2S shafts for a build.  Yes, they are all the same weight, same balance point, etc., but there will be a point in the long irons where distance and trajectory will suffer. That's why they went to the hybrid.  I like the looks of the Sterlings though.

That's not why they went to the hybrid.  They added the hybrid due to swing speed.

TomWishon, on 20 November 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

snapback.pngDanMurry, on 20 November 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Hi, I am new to golf and am interested in the Sterling clubs. I really love the concept and am willing to buy anything that can make golf easier. I would like to know if they are suitable for beginners. I had a guy at the golf club tell me I would not have the swing speed required to get the long irons off the ground. He had never tried single length clubs, he just believed they could be used by pros but not great of beginners such as myself.

I would also like to know how forgiving the Sterling clubs are. Are the Cobra F7 SL likely to be more forgiving. What would be the difference between the Cobra F7 SL and the Sterling SL irons.

With ANY single length model, you do really have to watch the clubhead speed to know what the set makeup should be in the set.  For us with the Sterling, if the iron clubhead speed is 80mph or higher, then the set makeup for the golfer can be 5 iron to SW.   If the iron speed is 75mph to 80, then it's a maybe for the 5 iron depending on the golfer's ability to generate a decent shot height with his swing.   If the speed is under 75mph then we recommend no 5 iron, start the set with the 6 iron, and above that would come a hybrid of say, 23-24* at around 38" in length.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The Edel SLS irons are custom built for each person, including the Paderson shaft in the way the filaments are wound.  So, the same shaft with the same weight will have varying flex and kick point depending on which club you are hitting.  That allows the clubs to feel and swing the same, but the low-lofted clubs will launch higher, and the high-lofted clubs will launch lower, and give you the proper gapping.  That's why they are so much more expensive.  If I were going to go with single length irons, the Edel would be my choice, because I believe they can be fit to my swing the best.  

This is absolutely the point I've been getting to. The GSL Podcast with David Edel is really enlightening when it comes to what matters in single length clubs.

StrokerAce, since I know you plan on gaming a set this season I would highly recommend giving it a listening. Really eye opening and I left that podcast feeling like the only single length option that makes any kind of sense right now (or is even feasible) are the Edels.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

This is absolutely the point I've been getting to. The GSL Podcast with David Edel is really enlightening when it comes to what matters in single length clubs.

StrokerAce, since I know you plan on gaming a set this season I would highly recommend giving it a listening. Really eye opening and I left that podcast feeling like the only single length option that makes any kind of sense right now (or is even feasible) are the Edels.

Okay...now I'm confused... if Edel is really the only thing that makes sense why isn't Bryson D using them?

Why'd he go with Cobra forged?  Is it just money from the sponsorship?  Do you think he'd go back to Edel if they paid him close to what Cobra was?

http://www.golfwrx.com/388776/bryson-dechambeaus-winning-witb/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

That's not why they went to the hybrid.  They added the hybrid due to swing speed.

TomWishon, on 20 November 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

snapback.pngDanMurry, on 20 November 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

Hi, I am new to golf and am interested in the Sterling clubs. I really love the concept and am willing to buy anything that can make golf easier. I would like to know if they are suitable for beginners. I had a guy at the golf club tell me I would not have the swing speed required to get the long irons off the ground. He had never tried single length clubs, he just believed they could be used by pros but not great of beginners such as myself.

I would also like to know how forgiving the Sterling clubs are. Are the Cobra F7 SL likely to be more forgiving. What would be the difference between the Cobra F7 SL and the Sterling SL irons.

With ANY single length model, you do really have to watch the clubhead speed to know what the set makeup should be in the set.  For us with the Sterling, if the iron clubhead speed is 80mph or higher, then the set makeup for the golfer can be 5 iron to SW.   If the iron speed is 75mph to 80, then it's a maybe for the 5 iron depending on the golfer's ability to generate a decent shot height with his swing.   If the speed is under 75mph then we recommend no 5 iron, start the set with the 6 iron, and above that would come a hybrid of say, 23-24* at around 38" in length.

Yes, and that is why the Edel doesn't have to go with a hybrid.  They can build 3-4 irons that fly higher because the shaft can be built specifically for that while maintaining the same swingweight.

And yes, Bryson went with Cobra because of the $$$$$$$.  I would be willing to bet that the Cobras that he is playing are nothing like the OTR single length clubs that Cobra is selling.

Yes, and that is why the Edel doesn't have to go with a hybrid. They can build 3-4 irons that fly higher because the shaft can be built specifically for that while maintaining the same swingweight.

And yes, Bryson went with Cobra because of the $$$$$$$. I would be willing to bet that the Cobras that he is playing are nothing like the OTR single length clubs that Cobra is selling.

Exactly. Off the rack and what Bryson has available to him are NOWHERE close to each other. They can't be. Bryson took the money and ran with it. Can't blame him for that.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Is the cost of the Edel's worth it? Only you can make that determination. :

One thing I think about with clubs and price is considering what your typical club buying cycle is and if you can commit to keeping a more expensive set longer than your average cycle to make it cost neutral. I think I read the average golfer changes irons every 5 to 7 years (maybe more often in this forum?!?). For even numbers sake say you typically get new irons every 4 years and you are looking at clubs that cost twice as much than the average--ask yourself if you would be happy with playing the irons for twice as long as your typical cycle-8 yrs in this example. If the answer is yes, then it is cost neutral so go for it. If you don't trust the club ho in you and you know you'll get the itch after 4 yrs to get new sticks--then it is probably not worth it.

The risk with single length irons is that it is hard to tell if it is something one would like without playing them for an extended run. So the commitment gets a bit trickier.

PS: sorry if I am being an enabler to golf equipment addicts with my comments. And to their spouses.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

One thing I think about with clubs and price is considering what your typical club buying cycle is and if you can commit to keeping a more expensive set longer than your average cycle to make it cost neutral. I think I read the average golfer changes irons every 5 to 7 years (maybe more often in this forum?!?). For even numbers sake say you typically get new irons every 4 years and you are looking at clubs that cost twice as much than the average--ask yourself if you would be happy with playing the irons for twice as long as your typical cycle-8 yrs in this example. If the answer is yes, then it is cost neutral so go for it. If you don't trust the club ho in you and you know you'll get the itch after 4 yrs to get new sticks--then it is probably not worth it.

The risk with single length irons is that it is hard to tell if it is something one would like without playing them for an extended run. So the commitment gets a bit trickier.

PS: sorry if I am being an enabler to golf equipment addicts with my comments. And to their spouses.

Fair enough.  I suppose you need to measure the opportunity cost and expected return from switching irons.  However, in some cases, if you've had a set of irons for a little while, got them off-the-rack, have reached a point of marginal returns and decide to finally get fit for a set, then how long can you expect to keep that set that was fit for your body, your swing - single length or progressive?  4/8/10/12 years?  Longer?

What becomes the motivation for switching irons?

If you've bought 'off-the-rack' and are ready for custom-fit then I can understand the switch, but after being custom-fit what's the advantage that you'd be gaining?  Is the opportunity cost lost - or gained - worth it?  That should be the question...  what am I giving up and what am I getting in return and is that worth not only the monetary cost but also the utility benefits...

For me - I've never been (properly) fit for any clubs; I've gone to demo days and stuff but that isn't what I consider a proper 1-on-1 fitting.  I've played pretty well with the off-the-rack-used-from-Callaway-preowned-set but I'm ready to invest in the next step.  My choice is either single length or progressive and I'm quite intrigued by the simplicity of the single length.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Fair enough. I suppose you need to measure the opportunity cost and expected return from switching irons. However, in some cases, if you've had a set of irons for a little while, got them off-the-rack, have reached a point of marginal returns and decide to finally get fit for a set, then how long can you expect to keep that set that was fit for your body, your swing - single length or progressive? 4/8/10/12 years? Longer?

If you've bought 'off-the-rack' and are ready for custom-fit then I can understand the switch, but after being custom-fit what's the advantage that you'd be gaining? Is the opportunity cost lost - or gained - worth it? That should be the question... what am I giving up and what am I getting in return and is that worth not only the monetary cost but also the utility benefits...

For me - I've never been (properly) fit for any clubs; I've gone to demo days and stuff but that isn't what I consider a proper 1-on-1 fitting. I've played pretty well with the off-the-rack-used-from-Callaway-preowned-set but I'm ready to invest in the next step. My choice is either single length or progressive and I'm quite intrigued by the simplicity of the single length.

All good thoughts here. Getting properly fit is a great first step, you won't regret it.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Fair enough.  I suppose you need to measure the opportunity cost and expected return from switching irons.  However, in some cases, if you've had a set of irons for a little while, got them off-the-rack, have reached a point of marginal returns and decide to finally get fit for a set, then how long can you expect to keep that set that was fit for your body, your swing - single length or progressive?  4/8/10/12 years?  Longer?

If you've bought 'off-the-rack' and are ready for custom-fit then I can understand the switch, but after being custom-fit what's the advantage that you'd be gaining?  Is the opportunity cost lost - or gained - worth it?  That should be the question...  what am I giving up and what am I getting in return and is that worth not only the monetary cost but also the utility benefits...

For me - I've never been (properly) fit for any clubs; I've gone to demo days and stuff but that isn't what I consider a proper 1-on-1 fitting.  I've played pretty well with the off-the-rack-used-from-Callaway-preowned-set but I'm ready to invest in the next step.  My choice is either single length or progressive and I'm quite intrigued by the simplicity of the single length.

I started playing golf 25 years ago at age 45.  The only "fitting" I have had was in 2012 for my Ping i20 irons.  I like them, and the only reason for me to change is if I want something shiny and new.   :)

Ten years ago I bought a set of used Macgregor VIP Tourney blades because they were pretty.  I played them for a while, but the stiff steel shaft was too much for me.  Last spring I reshafted them with UST ProForce graphite shafts and played them most of last summer.  I do like them, and hit them just as well as my Pings.  I went back to the Pings for my trip to AZ.

If the current single length irons were available when I had my fitting, I would probably have jumped on that bandwagon.  However, given my age and where I am at with my game, I really don't see me changing.  I suppose that could change if I ever get an opportunity to go through a true fitting and I see a real benefit.

My answer to this question is simply changes in technology. While the OEM's want to push the envelope with marketing and constantly saying they've revolutionized the game there ARE improvements over a certain period of time. When those changes take place, it makes sense to consider having another fitting from top to bottom and reset the bag to the current standard.

That's my motivation for changing down the road.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

My answer to this question is simply changes in technology. While the OEM's want to push the envelope with marketing and constantly saying they've revolutionized the game there ARE improvements over a certain period of time. When those changes take place, it makes sense to consider having another fitting from top to bottom and reset the bag to the current standard.

That's my motivation for changing down the road.

Looking at your signature it appears that you had a change in most of your bag recently!  At least the driver/fairway woods & irons...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

That is correct.

I changed from a set of clubs that weren't matching my current needs (blades) to a set of clubs with better technology (cup face, Surefit CG, upgraded from SLDR 3W to the XR's) and kept my Edel wedges and putter. Had the wedges reshafted.

Why I did this is because I went on a bucket list trip to Modern Golf in Canada. I've wanted to make that trip for years and this year was my opportunity.

I went for a totally brand agnostic fitting planning to purchase only if there was proof of a significant increase in performance. Needless to say there was.

If you want to read more about it I have two very thorough and lengthy posts detailing this trip.

This is the highest quality set of clubs (configuration, build quality, etc) that I could buy for my game. I won't be making any equipment changes unless technology changes in the future or I damage something.

If you haven't read those posts, I recommend them. At the very least it gives you some insight into what a fully agnostic fitting can be like.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• 3 months later...

I went to get my lofts and lies adjusted on my irons a couple of weeks ago, and the guy was an Edel rep who would custom fit for their clubs. We got talking about the single length clubs a little bit (he is a big believer in the idea for the right type of golfer, but not a "This is the best thing for everyone" type of guy), and he made an interesting comment that he thought that anyone that wanted to play single length irons should only play graphite shafts, not steel. His comment was that the only type of player that could really be successful with a steel shafted, single length iron is tour pros, like Bryson, but average joe golfer wouldn't be as consistent and would struggle. What do you guys think about that, and if that is the case, is Cobra hurting the single length game as the only big OEM to have a mass offering but using steel shafts?

Driver: Nike Covert Tour 2.0, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi (S) cut to 44.5" -- Wood: Callaway X-Hot pro 4 Wood 17* stock project x shaft (S) Hybrid: Bridgestone Precept ECU 21* (S) -- Irons: Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro KBS C taper (S) -- Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 54*, 58* (W) -- Putter: Odyssey O Works Red #7s 35” -- Bucket List Courses Played: Forest Dunes, The Loop at Forest Dunes Black and Red, All Tree Tops courses, Black Wolf Run, The Irish Course at Whistling Straits

He's an Edel rep....that's what he's supposed to say...but I think he's full of sh*t...

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Agree with Stroker here. Did he give an actual reason why. Or just saying his opinion.

I have hit the One Forged with a steel shaft and hit them fine. And my 17 HC wouldn't quite cut it on Tour 😎

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 2 months later...

I went to get my lofts and lies adjusted on my irons a couple of weeks ago, and the guy was an Edel rep who would custom fit for their clubs. We got talking about the single length clubs a little bit (he is a big believer in the idea for the right type of golfer, but not a "This is the best thing for everyone" type of guy), and he made an interesting comment that he thought that anyone that wanted to play single length irons should only play graphite shafts, not steel. His comment was that the only type of player that could really be successful with a steel shafted, single length iron is tour pros, like Bryson, but average joe golfer wouldn't be as consistent and would struggle. What do you guys think about that, and if that is the case, is Cobra hurting the single length game as the only big OEM to have a mass offering but using steel shafts?

I was able to speak directly with David Edel last week and it's not a matter of a "pro" being able to hit steel, it's a matter of getting the weighting and flex completely correct so that the ball, when hitting a 4 iron, flies like a four iron: height, length. Same with a 7 iron. Steel can't do this effectively because of the limitations of the steel shaft processing. Lastly, the Edel Single length shafts are not graphite.... They're a Kevlar-like woven material. Graphite ovals, this doesn't. Anyway, it doesn't sound like the rep understands what he's selling.

By-the-way, JB Holmes is playing the single length 3 iron. Wants to hit bullets, 250 yards... Not alone on tour.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Has anyone on these forums done any extensive testing themselves with the single length irons? I'm just curious what their yardage gaps actually end up being, and if smaller odd yardage gaps are more playable than the currently large gaps? 

F9 Tensei Pro Orange 70TX

Taylormade Tour M2 15* / Kuro Kage 80 TX

790 UDI Tensei White 100TX

Apex Pro 19 4-PW DG X7

Vokey SM7 Raw 50* 54* 

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60* S400

Taylormade Spider Tour (Red)

• 2 months later...

I'm still gaming mine. Starting the 7th month of using them. Gaps are better (especially in the short irons) than I've ever been able to maintain. Distances are also remaining steady, even though I'm averaging a round a month. Only issue I've had so far is with the 3 iron, on days where I haven't hit any balls, it's a stinger 4 iron. However, once I warm up, it's fine. I have recently pulled the SL SW from the bag. I hit it great around the green, from the bunker and with full swings, but I'm not currently practicing those half shots between 50-100 yards enough to rely on it under pressure. 

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Pulled the trigger on these 3 mos ago after being properly fit. These are staying.  I don't even glance at the new iron reviews.  I am a 10 index.  Some say the clubface is small, but in my case the proper fitting eliminated most toe/heel strikes.  Yes the wedges and upper irons fly higher but for my course that works.  Many greens used to be hard to hold. The four iron is lower trajectory but dead straight.  Every time.  My 7 wood flies higher and lands softer with a fade, but off the tee and setting approach distances on par 5's the SL Edel four iron is what I now use.  I have one 58 deg edel dgr wedge for scoring but just choke down on the SL SW for gaps and chipping.  The best part of the SL set for me is that misses right or left are almost non existent.  I am one full club longer with SL and that is what took some getting used to.  A quality product when properly fit.

Archived