TESTERS WANTED! ×

Low Spin Player

How do become a low spin player? I consider myself a high spin player and lose all kinds of distances with all of my clubs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Finish higher on your follow thru maybe.

Get more grass between ball and face of iron works well for me also lol but not recommended.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I'd check your gear for starters. You might benefit from a different setup that doesn't produce as much spin.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'd check your gear for starters. You might benefit from a different setup that doesn't produce as much spin.

I agree with Ethan. Getting shafts that fit you swing will do wonders. I added a god 5 to 10 yards of carry through my irons from I -20's with stock Ping AWT X-flex to the X100 in the forged Wilson V4's I'm current play, all from reducing the amount of spin.  I suppose you could take a grinder to the grooves as well. 

Chippewa Falls Wisconsin

10.3 Index

Right Handed

What's in the bag:

Driver: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 8* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-flex, :ping-small: Anser 8*, Black Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex; :cobra-small: King LTD Pro Orange Grafalloy Bi-Matrix X-Flex

FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour F5 15* Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec X-Flex :ping-small: Anse14*, Fujikura Speeder 757 US Open Edition , X-Stiff

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V4 2 utility Iron, 3-PW, +0.25, 2* Upright, True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100

Wedges: :wilson_staff_small: FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 52* bent to 51*, 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts

:edel-golf-1: E2 35", :wilson_staff_small: 8802 35.5", :ping-small: Scottsdale, Wolverine C 35" :ping-small: Anser Milled, Anser 2 34"

No it won't.

Spin is a product of geometry and physics. If you hit the ball at an oblique angle, you will generate spin. The harder  you hit it and the more oblique the angle, the greater the spin you will generate.

No surprises then that your lob wedge for example generates the most spin of all the clubs in the bag. This is basically the product of the loft on the club meeting the ball at a descending angle - this is commonly referred to as the angle of attack or AoA. The spin generated from this is often referred to as "spin loft" or the angle between the AoA and the loft of the club.

Now, if you take that theory to the extreme, if you could match the loft to the angle of attack, then theoretically you would have zero spin - the two angles are in the same plane and direction.

So to reduce spin, it figures that the angle between the loft and the AoA should also be reduced. For irons and wedges this can be difficult, because generally you are trying to hit a ball on the ground with a descending strike - without some sort of loft and spin, the ball won't carry off the ground.

For drivers and woods however, the proposal is a little different. Because the ball is up on a tee, it is now possible to strike the ball with a positive AoA or an upwards strike to the ball. This can greatly reduce the angle between loft and AoA thus reducing spin. 

If you look at the ubiquitous Trackman optimiser charts, you can see the difference between negative (downwards strike), neutral and positive (upwards strike) on the AoA and how that relates to spin. It's huge. Then also note how speed relates to the increase in spin.

Basically, it's more than any piece of equipment change you could possibly make.

So to control and lower spin, you must control the face and angle of attack of the club and the speed at which you deliver it. It's that simple. Equipment has nothing the do with it, because any club is capable of being manipulated to enhance spin. You just have to understand the geometry and your swing.

TrackMan-Page-1.png

Different gear does produce higher spin and launch then others. I can manipulate spin and other factors by adjusting my swing but the same swing can produce different levels of spin if you use different equipment.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

The equipment side of things is pretty insignificant when you compare it to the swing dynamics. It's possible to deloft your wedge enough to make a ball go low, just as it is to open a 3-iron face to hit high lobs. The equipment din't make any difference - the set up and application did.

I think you should back up before trying different clubs or balls.   Why do you consider yourself a high spin player and why do you think you are losing distance.   Have you had it measured to determine that spin is your issue?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I second the thoughts of others here. It's easiest and arguably better just to change your equipment rather than tinker with your swing.

You can go to a heavier shaft or just go to a lower-spinning tour ball. Maybe get set up with a reputable fitter and see what setups give you the best numbers?

I second the thoughts of others here. It's easiest and arguably better just to change your equipment rather than tinker with your swing.

You can go to a heavier shaft or just go to a lower-spinning tour ball. Maybe get set up with a reputable fitter and see what setups give you the best numbers?

I can't see many reputable fitters changing equipment if the culprit for the high spin is the swing. More often than not, a simple set up change will lower spin without having to alter the swing at all. No need to sell the unsuspecting customer a new shaft or head. It's what reputable fitters do.

Archived