TESTERS WANTED! ×

Official RookieBlue7 Review: Project X HZRDUS T1100

RookieBlue7

Alright, everyone, I got in my test piece this evening, a PX HZRDUS Handcrafted T1100 (pictured below).  I'm going to do this review in stages, so you're going to have to bear with me for a few days, as I am still awaiting the head to arrive I will be testing it with (hopefully it ships out tomorrow and I have it in hand in a couple days).  

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and do my first impressions.

Straight away, out of the box, I must say this shaft is BEAUTIFUL.  The ion finish that is on it glistens in a way that I couldn't capture indoors with it rainy after work and it getting dark.  I promise Wednesday, I am off work and this baby will get it's rightful recognition in the sunlight.  It is absolutely STUNNING in person though.  Ion grey finish with the neon HZRDUS lettering, just a clean, clean application of graphics, IMO.  I also checked it for spine and FLO to see if it matched up with the grease pencil marking on the butt, and just as I suspected, DEAD NUTS ON.  I can't wait to get the head here so I can truly put this puppy through it's paces.

Shaft:
T1100a_zpswzmacus3.jpg
T1100b_zpsx4jrb8xx.jpg
T1100c_zpsys2nlct9.jpg

And what I'm sure some are wondering on, the head...  I went and demo'd the 2 hottest new drivers out there (name wise) and they were very similar.  I got higher swingspeeds with the new M1 440, but the Epic SubZero I had a better smash factor with.  They were neck and neck in terms of accuracy (I have a video on my phone of 2 balls each from the session).  The determining factor for me was the M1, even with a lower smash factor, I was outpacing the Epic SZ by 6 yards or so.  Accuracy the same, you always go with distance right?  I currently game the 2016 M1 430 in 8.5 degrees with a Rogue or HZRDUS Black (depending on conditions, I can hit the Black lower).  With the T1100 being the Black on steroids, I decided to go up in loft.  I went with a 10.5 2017 M1.  Found one on eBay and tried to get him to end the listing and let me buy it outright.  He didn't, so I patiently waited on the auction to end this evening.  Glad I did, got it cheaper than I was going to offer him outright.  Here's the head:

M1TIa_zpsqn5fyiyz.jpg
M1TIc_zpsshoo6ywo.jpg
M1TIe_zpsqtqazp3y.jpg
M1TIf_zpsesgsbswn.jpg
M1TId_zpsugs46hy3.jpg
M1TIb_zpspfyleoxn.jpg

Stay Tuned right here folks, I have a feeling this one is going to be something special...

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

This set up is going to be awesome, looking forward to hearing the results. 

Envy level is at 100%

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Rookie, you have peaked my interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I like ya style Blue and looking forward to more on this beauty.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

So this seller had a new M1 used listed answered questions on the listing and let the listing run through the end. I win it at $406 and pay instantly. This dirtbag refunds my payment and says the item is "damaged". No, he didn't get what he wanted for it and so he refunded a no reserve listing. His eBay store is golftourstyle and I will be happy to provide his name and address to anyone that asks it. It's a real dirtbag move to pull because you didn't set a reserve and didn't get what you wanted for it. Karma is a b!tch though.

If anyone has an M1 440 in 10.5 I need it for testing ASAP for the T1100 I just got for review.

What a freaking dirtbag. If anyone is in Broken Arrow, OK and knows this shop, please verify this dirtbag destroys this head because there's not a thing wrong with it other than he didn't like what I bought it for

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Wow that's messed up. Though 406 for just the head ain't bad.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My Mixed-Bag:

I hate unethical sellers like that. I've sold plenty of things on eBay and gotten less than I hoped but I've also had the opposite happen. That shaft is supposed to be amazing. I can't wait to hear how it performs for you.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

That has happened to me before.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Alright, I have a different head on the way now. Hopefully it's here this week. I want to test this weekend. I bought a 2017 M2 this time. I decided that because I was cleaning my 16' M1 the other night and noticed it's got some spider cracks in the crown. If the M2 gets here, I'll be sending the M1 in and if they replace it I don't know which year M1 they'd replace with. So I'm going to wait on the results of that to determine whether to buy a new M1 or not

In The Bag

I'll get some pics up in a bit but I have everything assembled... muwhahaha

In The Bag

It's sprinkling outside right now, but I did hit 5 balls out through the backyard into the pasture behind me. This shaft will take all I can throw at it. Holy cow is is stable

In The Bag

Some pics (sorry, was raining today. I did manage to hit 5 balls in the sprinkle and the shaft took all I could throw at it).

DSC_1244_zps5c6spulx.jpg
DSC_1247_zps7mvxwrj7.jpg
DSC_1250_zpskvfjlfbb.jpg
DSC_1243_zpshtp9pjyn.jpg
DSC_1248_zpsi3aec8o3.jpg
DSC_1249_zps1p1ztbxl.jpg
DSC_1251_zps02aypk0e.jpg
DSC_1252_zpsemnnsykk.jpg
DSC_1253_zpsklgha3w1.jpg

And my fat boy was hamming it up while I was snapping pics so I took one of him too(his nightly face cleaning is up in just a few)...

DSC_1255_zpsezdnh3jy.jpg

In The Bag

What did you think of the new M2 vs last seasons?

My Mixed-Bag:

I'll update this shortly. I had a range session today. Last year's m2 lost to the M1 440 for me.

In The Bag

Great pics Blue and I like ya dog too :D ..  No doubt he's a stud pup! ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Alright, time to compose some thoughts in this space.

I have taken the T1100 out for a range session as well as played a round with it on the course (plus warm-up).

Initial impressions of the shaft were posted earlier in the thread.  It's absolutely stunning to look at in person.  The first range day, I was on the range by myself for most of the session and the second half of the session, a couple of guys that came to hit balls walked up.  One asked if I was hitting a steel shaft in a driver, that's how stunning the chrome paint is on this model. It's just nice to look at.  

With that out of the way, let's talk about performance.  The first day range session, I spent 15-20 balls getting the head adjusted after warming up.  It ended up coming out that I cranked it one marking open from standard on the 9.5 2017 M2 (I could not get one of the new all aluminum adapters because no one had them so I used a 2 degree adapter from last year with the plastic ferrule).  This wasn't for launch conditions, per se, just to have the driver sit how I like it at address, slightly open.  I then alternated shots, 3 balls at a time from my 2016 M1 440.  The one thing I noticed, head for head, was that the new M2 was a little louder (not pertaining to this review, but worth mentioning none the less).

I hit them side by side and the 9.5 with the HZRDUS launched at the same height as my 8.5 M1 440.  I don't hit the ball really high (I tried to get to 17/1700 a few years ago and just couldn't get there).  My average launch usually is around 12-13 degrees.  Going up in loft with this shaft, I was able to replicate the same launch conditions as before.  I don't have a TrackMan of FlightScope and my local course doesn't have one either.  I generally don't do launch monitor stuff until after I adjust it on the range then play it on the course and decide whether it's reliable or not before I worry with renting time on a monitor.  If it's not going to make the bag, I'm not spending the money.  Sorry, just how I do things.

I can say that this combo performed well on the range.  I really want to try the shaft in the new M1 as I loved that head when demo'ing it.  That said, I think my M1 has some spider cracks on the crown (as I mentioned before) and I want to send it in for evaluation and see what TM does.  I bought it new and the retailer I purchased from will send it in for me.

The shaft worked very well for me.  It's stiff, but not overly boardy to me.  It has the distinct feel I like when my aggressive transition kicks in and has the almost bullwhip feel right at impact when it unloads, which is another feel I really like.  I swung it normal and then swung out of my shoes and the shaft handled both with ease.  I don't know that I have enough in the tank to ever worry about overloading the shaft and throwing something at it that it can't handle.  This one does feel a little stiffer than the HZRDUS Black Handcrafted I've been playing, but that's a good thing. I can draw it and hit a fade, but it's not as much curvature as before which is also a good hing for me as I tend to overcook those shots a little at times.  The shaft really seemed to just want to go straight though.  I played 18 the next day (Saturday) and hit some REALLY good drives.  On one hole (#4 at the home course), I carried it right around where I normally finish up off the tee.  I ended up with a little side hill partial wedge shot in which I really managed to booger up.  I didn't hit my irons particularly well at all that day and I couldn't scramble if you gave me a frying pan and half a dozen eggs.  But the one thing I did manage to do well was get off the tee.  I murdered the driver on nearly every hole I hit it on.  Several in spots I normally play from or slightly inside of them.  The feel of the shaft was exceptional all day and the distance was spot on and I was just about able to point and shoot all day with it.  Had I been able to do anything other than get off the tee, I could've possibly scored pretty decently.  I did manage to kill a drive on #18 (dogleg par 5) and had a 56* left in.  Stuffed the approach to about 4 feet and 2 putted for birdie (one of those days, and I've never eagled that hole since it was converted to a par 5.  Only one on the course I've never eagled). 

Overall, if I were to recommend the shaft to someone, it'd be someone that likes a little stiffer feel and that appreciates really feeling the shaft load and unload.  It does play slightly stiffer than the previous HZRDUS, but it's not overly harsh while doing so.  I think the shaft will get a lot of traction with the public for those that are inclined to spend the coin on it.  

In The Bag

Alright, time to compose some thoughts in this space.

I have taken the T1100 out for a range session as well as played a round with it on the course (plus warm-up).

Initial impressions of the shaft were posted earlier in the thread.  It's absolutely stunning to look at in person.  The first range day, I was on the range by myself for most of the session and the second half of the session, a couple of guys that came to hit balls walked up.  One asked if I was hitting a steel shaft in a driver, that's how stunning the chrome paint is on this model. It's just nice to look at.  

With that out of the way, let's talk about performance.  The first day range session, I spent 15-20 balls getting the head adjusted after warming up.  It ended up coming out that I cranked it one marking open from standard on the 9.5 2017 M2 (I could not get one of the new all aluminum adapters because no one had them so I used a 2 degree adapter from last year with the plastic ferrule).  This wasn't for launch conditions, per se, just to have the driver sit how I like it at address, slightly open.  I then alternated shots, 3 balls at a time from my 2016 M1 440.  The one thing I noticed, head for head, was that the new M2 was a little louder (not pertaining to this review, but worth mentioning none the less).

I hit them side by side and the 9.5 with the HZRDUS launched at the same height as my 8.5 M1 440.  I don't hit the ball really high (I tried to get to 17/1700 a few years ago and just couldn't get there).  My average launch usually is around 12-13 degrees.  Going up in loft with this shaft, I was able to replicate the same launch conditions as before.  I don't have a TrackMan of FlightScope and my local course doesn't have one either.  I generally don't do launch monitor stuff until after I adjust it on the range then play it on the course and decide whether it's reliable or not before I worry with renting time on a monitor.  If it's not going to make the bag, I'm not spending the money.  Sorry, just how I do things.

I can say that this combo performed well on the range.  I really want to try the shaft in the new M1 as I loved that head when demo'ing it.  That said, I think my M1 has some spider cracks on the crown (as I mentioned before) and I want to send it in for evaluation and see what TM does.  I bought it new and the retailer I purchased from will send it in for me.

The shaft worked very well for me.  It's stiff, but not overly boardy to me.  It has the distinct feel I like when my aggressive transition kicks in and has the almost bullwhip feel right at impact when it unloads, which is another feel I really like.  I swung it normal and then swung out of my shoes and the shaft handled both with ease.  I don't know that I have enough in the tank to ever worry about overloading the shaft and throwing something at it that it can't handle.  This one does feel a little stiffer than the HZRDUS Black Handcrafted I've been playing, but that's a good thing. I can draw it and hit a fade, but it's not as much curvature as before which is also a good hing for me as I tend to overcook those shots a little at times.  The shaft really seemed to just want to go straight though.  I played 18 the next day (Saturday) and hit some REALLY good drives.  On one hole (#4 at the home course), I carried it right around where I normally finish up off the tee.  I ended up with a little side hill partial wedge shot in which I really managed to booger up.  I didn't hit my irons particularly well at all that day and I couldn't scramble if you gave me a frying pan and half a dozen eggs.  But the one thing I did manage to do well was get off the tee.  I murdered the driver on nearly every hole I hit it on.  Several in spots I normally play from or slightly inside of them.  The feel of the shaft was exceptional all day and the distance was spot on and I was just about able to point and shoot all day with it.  Had I been able to do anything other than get off the tee, I could've possibly scored pretty decently.  I did manage to kill a drive on #18 (dogleg par 5) and had a 56* left in.  Stuffed the approach to about 4 feet and 2 putted for birdie (one of those days, and I've never eagled that hole since it was converted to a par 5.  Only one on the course I've never eagled). 

Overall, if I were to recommend the shaft to someone, it'd be someone that likes a little stiffer feel and that appreciates really feeling the shaft load and unload.  It does play slightly stiffer than the previous HZRDUS, but it's not overly harsh while doing so.  I think the shaft will get a lot of traction with the public for those that are inclined to spend the coin on it.

How does this compare to the Hzrdus Yellow and Red in terms of launch and spin?  Do you need to bee at a certain swing speed to play this one?  It seems folks like the yellow and you can find some reviews out there.  There isn't much I've found on the Red.  I know the Black is going to likely launch too low for me. 

How does this compare to the Hzrdus Yellow and Red in terms of launch and spin?  Do you need to bee at a certain swing speed to play this one?  It seems folks like the yellow and you can find some reviews out there.  There isn't much I've found on the Red.  I know the Black is going to likely launch too low for me. 

I have Black, Red and now T1100. Can't compare to Yellow for ya since I don't have it. T1100 is significantly lower launch and lower spin than the Red, which is suppose to be Mid\mid. I get roughly similar launch and flight with T1100 on a 12* SLDR head and Red on a 10* head. 

Oh yeah.. the T1100 is totally incredible to look at... 

20170125_225818.jpg

I have Black, Red and now T1100. Can't compare to Yellow for ya since I don't have it. T1100 is significantly lower launch and lower spin than the Red, which is suppose to be Mid\mid. I get roughly similar launch and flight with T1100 on a 12* SLDR head and Red on a 10* head. 

Oh yeah.. the T1100 is totally incredible to look at... 

attachicon.gif20170125_225818.jpg

Those are some sexy shafts!

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

How does this compare to the Hzrdus Yellow and Red in terms of launch and spin? Do you need to bee at a certain swing speed to play this one? It seems folks like the yellow and you can find some reviews out there. There isn't much I've found on the Red. I know the Black is going to likely launch too low for me.

Launch and spin are both the lowest in the HZRDUS family. The T1100 feels most like the Yellow in the hands as its counterbalanced as well. It launches a little lower than the black for me and kills spin more. It also has a little more kick to it than the yellow. It's a more lively yellow that's also a little more tip stable, if that makes sense

In The Bag

Had another range session today trying to finalize which combo I'll go with for my round on Monday. In the end I still find the T1100 worked better with my 12* SLDR than 10* one. I had a very hard time getting consistent with 10* head and was getting some wild shots, and I think it's because I was trying too much to get the launch a little higher and stay in the air a bit longer.

One other thing I noticed is that the shaft will expose your swing flaws without mercy. Granted that SLDR 430 isn't the most forgiving head by any means, but with the Red, I could still get away with some bad swings, and there's none of that with T1100. You make a bad swing, you see it clearly in the results, especially as I went down on loft. The shaft can handle all the power you put in, but you do have to stay in rhythm. Think paddle to the floor the entire way down all the way to finish.  

A last note, as I went back and forth with different shafts, the Black started to feel like a telephone pole. As I am getting use to T1100, The extra vibration and 3 extra swingweight points when using Black were clearly felt and my wrist protested. 

The T1100 reacts better for me when I stay smooth instead of really going after it from the top. Smooth, my swing speed clocks 113-114. I can crank it up going full bore to 118-119. But the patterns tend to spread on me. For me, thinking smooth from the top works better with this shaft. It can handle it all and when I nut one going full bore it's a bomb. But smooth from the top results the most consistent flight

In The Bag

Archived