TESTERS WANTED! ×

Sterling Single Length Irons article discussion

JBones

Great article. Would love to try single length irons to see how they perform can my regular length clubs

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I took the plunge last June thinking they would be a quick experiment but now I can't see them going anywhere.  The iron game is just too simple now and I'm playing better than ever.  When I'm on the range I don't have to practice with any particular iron since they're all the same so it cuts my practice time way down.  There isn't a single iron I don't hit well.  

The only "gripe" is they need to redesign the gap wedge.  It's too clunky and odd looking and a more traditional wedge shape would do wonders.

My bag is a revolving door!

I took the plunge last June thinking they would be a quick experiment but now I can't see them going anywhere.  The iron game is just too simple now and I'm playing better than ever.  When I'm on the range I don't have to practice with any particular iron since they're all the same so it cuts my practice time way down.  There isn't a single iron I don't hit well.  

The only "gripe" is they need to redesign the gap wedge.  It's too clunky and odd looking and a more traditional wedge shape would do wonders.

I'm very intersted, since the 7i and 8i are the two clubs I flush every time.

Liking the idea of single length irons more and more. wanna give Cobra's and these a try

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Everyone in the industry says Wishon is a genius. Not sure why more people don't play his clubs/designs. I'm guessing because they aren't in the Big Box stores or advertised in magazines. You have to seek them out. I for one am glad I play them and was able to get connected with a super fitter that sells - fits Wishon. My next set whenever that day comes will probably be Wishon.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Everyone in the industry says Wishon is a genius. Not sure why more people don't play his clubs/designs. I'm guessing because they aren't in the Big Box stores or advertised in magazines. You have to seek them out. I for one am glad I play them and was able to get connected with a super fitter that sells - fits Wishon. My next set whenever that day comes will probably be Wishon.

But you didn't like Wishon's driver if I remember correctly.  Wasn't it because of the lack of roll on the face?  The article said that was to get a more consistent launch angle.  Is that the case with his FW/hybrids as well?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Kenny you are correct. There is little to no roll on the face of his drivers. I can't recall now how my Wishon driver was setup but it was a "hand-select" head by Tom Wishon and sent to my fitter. What I recall that meant was that my fitter requested a certain loft and lie with a square face angle. The driver I ordered was a 919 THI. These are non-adjustable heads like we're all accustomed to today.

I do play a Wishon 929 HS 16* 4 wood and love it. (most days!) Honestly, I'm not sure if the face on those are the same as for the driver. I don't think so.

The Wishon driver was a beautiful club but for some reason it just didn't work for me. I think we just missed it during the fit and build. I also wasn't fit outdoors for it. Perhaps that might have had something to do with it also.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

They definitely interest me. Head doesn't look awful either. 

The one thing I want to know is look he "copied." They sorta look like Tmag to me. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Kenny you are correct. There is little to no roll on the face of his drivers. I can't recall now how my Wishon driver was setup but it was a "hand-select" head by Tom Wishon and sent to my fitter. What I recall that meant was that my fitter requested a certain loft and lie with a square face angle. The driver I ordered was a 919 THI. These are non-adjustable heads like we're all accustomed to today.

I do play a Wishon 929 HS 16* 4 wood and love it. (most days!) Honestly, I'm not sure if the face on those are the same as for the driver. I don't think so.

The Wishon driver was a beautiful club but for some reason it just didn't work for me. I think we just missed it during the fit and build. I also wasn't fit outdoors for it. Perhaps that might have had something to do with it also.

I checked... your 929 has the same GRT as the 919, so likely that wasn't the reason you didn't hit the driver very well.  That is a nice looking driver too!

I have looked at the Sterling and Cobra King F7 one length, and my initial take is that I would be much better off using the Sterling based on an 8i length than I would the Cobra with a 6i length.  I am much better with an 8i than I am with a 6i.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Love his irons and wedges. The woods are crack prone.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

That was a great read... I've been talking with Tom for months via his website regarding the Sterlings and their pending left hand release. My fitter emailed yesterday and the pre-orders are starting and irons should be available by May. The comment about the gap wedge... I'm not sure if that's been changed but I know he's coming out with a more traditional shaped S and L wedge.

I've ordered the 5 hybrid along with a 7-9-G irons as a tester set. I'm usually all Ping but I had a Wishon 919 THI driver set-up over the winter and it's been great in the simulator. Like the sound and feel.... so with the little experiment a success I want to try these out. A fun 8 club bag with a Wishon 7 wood and my Ping Glide wedge should make a great set.

Unfortunately the gap wedge wasn't included in the redesigns. If the sand wedge has enough bounce I may try to bend one of the new wedges to play as a gap wedge since they can bend 4 degrees.

My bag is a revolving door!

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't had a chance and are interested take a look at these vids from Crossfield and his buddy.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRyiDiyUps  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiH8Iq1gIpI

Really interesting.  They play a few holes with both the Sterling and Cobra 1 length and halfway through switch.  Really has me thinking strongly about the Sterling's over the Cobra's.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Really has me thinking strongly about the Sterling's over the Cobra's.

in terms of just looks, I like the sterlings a little better. Not to throw a wrench in, but have you seen the new single length Edels? Those are purdy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

in terms of just looks, I like the sterlings a little better. Not to throw a wrench in, but have you seen the new single length Edels? Those are purdy.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I kinda like the ping of the Sterlings...

Looooove the Edels but they start at 1700.00 according to their website. The Sterling and Cobras are 700.00...

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Archived