TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf in Phoenix - Jan 30 - Feb 10, 2017

Kenny B

Well, the weathers sucks up here in the Pacific Northwest this winter.  First time since I have been here that I could not play golf for a whole month during the winter.  My wife and I are headed to Phoenix this Sunday to play; we are tired of sitting around!!  If anyone in the area wants to play or if others are headed that way, give me a shout.

We have also scheduled a full bag fitting at Ping HQ for Wednesday Feb 1.  Just seemed like a fun thing to do.  Also, we scored free admission tickets for the entire week at the Waste Management Phoenix Open.  I'm not sure how many days we will go; we really want to play, not watch.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My wish for you KennyB, is that you have wonderful weather........like you had last year in FLA!......LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Too bad I am there from Feb 8-10 but for work not pleasure. Enjoy! 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I checked the weather and it has been in the 50's this week, but looks like 70's and sunny all next week.  I'm excited... still 30's and snow on the ground here.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sounds really nice! Have a GREAT time!!!

Wish I could join but am busy between now and our trip to Bermuda in Feb. Looking forward to that!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Sounds really nice! Have a GREAT time!!!

Wish I could join but am busy between now and our trip to Bermuda in Feb. Looking forward to that!

Have fun in Bermuda!  I'm looking forward to actually hitting a golf ball.  The last time was Dec. 31.  Snow on the ground, all courses closed, and the driving range is also closed because all ball are out under the snow.

Have fun in Bermuda! I'm looking forward to actually hitting a golf ball. The last time was Dec. 31. Snow on the ground, all courses closed, and the driving range is also closed because all ball are out under the snow.

Thanks! Hit 'em straight and the right distance!!

There's actually a two tiered enclosed and heated range on LI where they clear off the snow! They also have an indoor sim room, so they're prepared for winter....

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

You boys have a blast out there!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I'm gonna miss you by a week or so. I'll be there from Feb 17 - 23. Enjoy desert golf - a lot of fine courses to choose from there.

If you don't have arrangements already made, I highly recommend playing Wickenburg Ranch (it's in Wickenburg, about 45 minutes from Northwest Phoenix)- a superb course for about $100 - roughly half the cost of similar courses in Phoenix. You won't be disappointed.

WITB:

Irons:       Ping S55 4-PW

Wedges:  Scor 4161 54*, 58*

Hybrids:   Adams Idea Gold Prototype 18*, 21*

Woods:    Ping G5 3 wd 15*

Driver:      Ping G 9*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

Well, we arrive yesterday to 70* weather!  It is still in the 30's at home and is supposed to snow again tonight.  Nice flights on Delta that was marred by a crisis at baggage claim.  Luggage started coming onto the carousel, and my wife's Club Glove bag came out first; I grabbed it.  Another Club Glove bag was right behind it that looked like mine, and my wife grabbed it and we hightailed it to the rental car shuttle.  I had both golf bags, and my wife had the two roll-a-boards.  While waiting in line, I glanced at my bag and realized that it wasn't mine!!!!  So, I hoofed it back to baggage claim; all bags were gone and no one around.  I went to Delta baggage Service and told my story.  They got the guys number from his golf bag and called him.  He was at the rental car center, and came back to swap bags.  Nice guy, some high level manager for Burger King in for golf and the Waste Management Phoenix Open this week.  

Since we haven't played golf in a month, we went to a cheapo track down the street to get the rust off our games.  A very nice day today, but I seem to have developed a push with any long club hit off the grass.  Driver was OK; but other clubs sucked.  I had a terrible time chipping/pitching from this crappy Bermuda, and putting was an adventure too.  However, I always figure it out about the time I head home.   :(

Today was a non-golf day.  My wife and I went to the PGA Superstore in North Scottsdale.  I wanted to try out the Cobra King Forged ONE length irons and roll an EVNROLL putter since we don't have any store within 200 miles that carries either.  The Cobras were very interesting and could fit nicely with my single plane swing.  They were easy to hit, but they only had steel shafts and distance and height were a little less than with my Ping i20's.  If I were looking for a new set of clubs, I would seriously consider either the Cobras or Sterling SL clubs.  

I tried several EVNROLL putter models, but they didn't have the new models in stock.  None of them really worked for me very well.  I like a heavy putter, and these were just too light.  I didn't feel like I had a good grasp of head control.

After we left the PGA Superstore, we headed to our fitting at the Ping Fitting Center.  I've been very happy with my Bridgestone JGR driver, so I didn't try any Ping drivers.  I compared my Ping i20's that I was fitted for in Portland, OR in 2012 with the Ping G and i200.  The Ping fitter validated that my i20's were a good fit for me, so the other irons were similar specs.  Using the Ping nFlight system, the Ping G irons were a few yards longer than both my i20's and i200, but the i200's were dead-on accurate.  When I hit the G's I really didn't feel like I hit the ball all that well, but it flew; just no feeling.  The i200's were really sweet and more accurate, but I can't justify the cost because they just aren't that much better than my i20's.  

Next were the G FW and hybrids.  Nope, not for me.  I think I need something with a little more curve in the sole and leading edge.  I'll keep looking.  The FW/hybrids will likely be my next purchase; just don't know who will be the winner.

Finally, the putter.  For many years now, I have been using a Boccieri Heavy Putter.  The added weight makes my stroke nice and consistent with an even tempo.  That putter really helped my putting stats.  It's just not sexy!  So, I have been looking, and the new Ping Sigma G putters looked very nice.  Full disclosure:  I have never really liked Ping putters, mostly because there have been too light.  At the PGA Superstore when I rolled the EVNROLL putters, I also rolled the Ping Vault putters, and liked them.  At Ping the Vault putters were all at the WM Phoenix Open, so I just tried the Sigma G putters.  The fitter attached the iPing cradle on the putter and the app analyzed my stroke.  The fitter placed 5 balls on the indoor putting green shown below; about 7 feet I estimated.  

IMG_0618.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

He told me to make 5 strokes with no practice strokes.  That's very difficult for me because I always make 3 practice stokes before a putt.  Well, I made all 5 putts!  I repeated with another 5 balls and made 4.  I found out that I have a slight arc, not SBST like I thought.  Square face, a little forward shaft lean, good tempo, and I need the lie to be more upright.  The Sigma G Kushin putter is one I could get used to and has moved to the top of my list.  

Tomorrow is a no-play day; headed to the WM Phoenix Open Round One.  I'm not sure how long I can stand around watching because the old back is starting to act up.  It's been 2 months since I have had this much golf exercise...

Sounds like a fun trip so far! Did Mrs B try out any new stuff?

And sounds like that Sigma putter shoulda left the store with you!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Sounds like fun......

You should have gave the PING LS Tec a whack......  It's a Monster when fitted ...

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Nice write up on the ping fitting shop Kenny B. Sounds like a fun experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Sounds like a great time there Kenny. Wish I was joining y'all. The WM tourney should be fun too. Maybe I'll see you on TV tonight.

I didn't know or recall you had a Boccieri putter. Interestingly I have a set of their Secret Grips at home. I used them for a while a few years ago before I was fitted for my current irons. Honestly.. I liked them. If you think that's something you'd like to try let me know and I'll bring them to White Bluff in April.

Enjoy your trip.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Sounds like a fun trip so far! Did Mrs B try out any new stuff?

And sounds like that Sigma putter shoulda left the store with you!

Yes, my wife and her brother who is wintering down here also did the fitting.  I don't think she is interested in changing anything in her bag... all TaylorMade except for a pre-2010 Vokey SW and LW. She did find out that her irons need to be 2* flatter.

The Ping Fitting Center doesn't sell clubs; only fit.  They give you your specs and you can purchase anywhere you want.  I'm still looking... you know, like an engineer, I have to try things over and over!! :)  

Sounds like fun......

You should have gave the PING LS Tec a whack......  It's a Monster when fitted ...

I haven't tried any Ping drivers since the G20.  I was whipped after the irons and FW/hybrids, so went to the putter.  I might give it a try one of these days back home.

Sounds like a great time there Kenny. Wish I was joining y'all. The WM tourney should be fun too. Maybe I'll see you on TV tonight.

I didn't know or recall you had a Boccieri putter. Interestingly I have a set of their Secret Grips at home. I used them for a while a few years ago before I was fitted for my current irons. Honestly.. I liked them. If you think that's something you'd like to try let me know and I'll bring them to White Bluff in April.

Enjoy your trip.

Yeah, out of 100K people you could spot me!!  And you don't even know what I look like!  hahaha

I've never tried the Secret Grips, but I would think with the counter-weight, they would make my clubs feel too light.  My preference is a heavier swingweight.  Thanks though.

It was a long day at the Waste Management Phoenix Open.  First, getting to the parking lot took 1.5 hours; long lines getting off the 101 freeway and into the lot... and it's was only Thursday!!  It was much easier getting to Champions Tour and LPGA majors.  My wife's friend works the event and gave us Marshal passes along with food and drink vouchers... sweet!

Here are a few pics.

IMG_0622.jpg

A look down #18 from 100 yards off the tee.

IMG_0621.jpg

On the right side of #17 fairway; almost got hit by Olie Sneiderjans ball.

IMG_0625.jpg

A look down the tunnel headed into the #16 Stadium hole.

IMG_0628.jpg

The #16 Stadium hole at the tee box and at the green.  What a zoo!!  I cannot imagine what it will be like on Sunday!!  Not going.

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

We just happened to be where Cameron Tringale hit his tee shot on the par 5 #15.  We watched it roll down the cart path and this is where it ended up.  The look on his face when he got here was PRICELESS!

IMG_0629.jpg

Inside the ropes, eh? Great way to really see some of the action up close!

(I wouldn't have had the patience for that entry line, tho....)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Well today was my 4th round of golf since I arrived last Sunday.  I have yet to figure out this grass; hard to chip/pitch from and putting... well, I can only say that it is not like home!!  Absolutely beautiful day and the two guys we were paired with were very nice; just not very good golfers.  I thought I was putting terrible, but I have never seen anyone 4-putt as much as they did.  I manage to shoot 41 on the front, but the wear and tear of playing like they were caught up with me and shot 45 on the back for an 86.  I suspect I will figure out the Bermuda by the time I head home.

As for driving on freeways in Phoenix?  This might be the only place I know of that you can drive 80 mph in a 55 mph zone and not have to worry about getting a ticket because everyone will pass you!! I kid you not!  I've been here a week and I have not seen anyone get stopped for speeding.  Apparently, Phoenix has a different way of dealing with speeders than issuing tickets.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

IMG_0631.jpg

That's pretty funny!

(The highway sign, I mean - not your golf!)

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Yesterday my wife and I played at Toka Sticks GC and it was a better day of ball striking for me; shot 83 and only missed 2 fairways and then only by a little.  I played the Kirkland Signature ball for the first time this trip and it performed beautifully.  I'm still trying to get used to the ground/grass here in AZ... either that or I have forgotten how to chip and putt!!

Toka Sticks GC is owned by the Gila River Indian Community and was designed by the Army Corps of Engineers in the early 1950's as a recreational facility for personnel stationed at Williams Air Force Base.  It plays from 5,185-6,900 yards on level fairways guarded by stands of mature eucalyptus, mesquite, palm and palo verde trees.  The fairways are pretty generous with nice grass.  It is located adjacent to Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport and while not a difficult track, it's a decent value.  

Kenny, Bermuda grass is mostly what I play on at least in Texas anyway. I never give it much thought until I go elsewhere and find I can't play on their grass either. Heh!

Really liked your photos too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Kenny, Bermuda grass is mostly what I play on at least in Texas anyway. I never give it much thought until I go elsewhere and find I can't play on their grass either. Heh!

Really liked your photos too.

I suppose it's what you are used to playing.  One thing I have found is that the Bermuda here in AZ is much different than the Bermuda in Florida.  I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but both are much different than I am used to playing.  

Today, my wife and I along with my brother-in-law played the Palms course at Palm Valley GC in Goodyear, AZ.  It's an Arthur Hills design, 7000+ yards and in great shape with good prices.  I played at 6200 yards.   :blush:   PVGC also has a par 62 Lakes course designed by Hale Irwin.  I'd like to try that; maybe next trip.

I drove the ball well off the tee.  From the pics below, you can see that the fairways are generous.  Shot 85 with five(5) double bogeys!  Yes, 5...  It was either a par or double.  I just kept finding new ways to ruin a drive down the middle.  We are playing here again on Friday.  Nice course.

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

This sure beats the Winter Storm Warning in effect at home today!!

I just kept finding new ways to ruin a drive down the middle.

Isn't that like a "Law of Golf" .. ie. just like the Law of Gravity....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

My wife and I played today at The Legacy Golf Club and we were paired with a very nice couple from Toronto.  He owns a company up there.  This was the first round of golf where I played with someone playing from tees further back than me; funny sensation... I suppose I could have played from the Blacks, but it would have been a rougher day than it already was.  Not a good round; just poor ball striking.  I'll leave it at that.  The company was great.  The couple bought us drinks at the turn and drinks and dinner at the club after the round.  He spotted my MyGolfSpy bag tag and we had a long discussion about the blog and some of you forum members.  I didn't lie... too much!!

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

This is a lovely course designed by Gary Panks and is in great shape.  In the last photo are the grain silos built in 1902 that are part of the Dwight B. Heard 7500 acre ranch on which this course is built.

Ai Miyazato also lives here between the 10th green and the 11th tee.  I saw her house, but she wasn't on the course that I know of.

Sounds like your having a great time.....btw our weather has been in the low 80's this week with record crowds at my club.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived