TESTERS WANTED! ×

PGA Show Day 3 & Recap

Here's a look at what we saw on Day 3, plus a recap of some highlights from the week...

Some really sweet wedge customization from Cleveland...

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

Here's Bubba's new green ball from Volvik - just got USGA approval earlier in the week. He'll be putting it into play in Phoenix...

IMG_2425.JPG

Volvik also introduce a brand new ball, the Vivid XT. It's a 105 compression, 4-piece ball with a Zirconium cover for greater durability. They want to use it in long drive competitions, but also have a 4-piece construction for some greenside spin.  It also comes in some pretty sweet matte colors.  Volvik says the matte finish actually softens the feel a little bit, so it plays more like a 90 to 95 compression, and the price is $39.99/dozen.

IMG_2433.JPG

And say what you want about Volvik - I've never hit one - but they do know how to throw a little fun into the equation...

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

French putter company Argolf had some nice flat sticks on display -- really like rolling these mallets.  Hoping we can do a Forum test opportunity this year...

IMG_2440.JPG

IMG_2442.JPG

This thing really intrigued me.  We ran a story about this company's Kickstarter campaign here on the forum a few months ago...it's called TittleX (something may have been lost, or found, in the translation) - it's an in-home simulator that can give you some analytics while you're at it.  They had it set up to play #7 at Pebble Beach - you pick a sensor that corresponds to the club you want to hit and place it on a cradle that's on a swingstick (provided) or on  your own club (you'd have to keep switching cradles tho); and then you swing.  The sensor connects via blue tooth to your laptop, which you connect via HDMI to your TV. Not bad for $199.  Not sure how many courses are included, but it looks like it would be a fun and inexpensive way to chase the no-golf-in-winter blues away...

IMG_2457.JPG

IMG_2458.JPG

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

IMG_2449.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

And these are the offerings from Shot Navi - one of Japan's leading GPS companies trying to make a go of it in North America. Nothing extravagant techwise, although the one on the left does heart rate monitoring. They may try to have a price advantage -- the two on the right are standard GPS watches they hope to bring to market for under $200. 

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2455.JPG

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

And a few things we may have missed sharing over the first couple of days...

The Yonex offerings floored me -- really, really liked hitting them - so much so they had to shoo me out of their tent on demo day (I think it was all the moaning - they thought I was sick).  Blades and CB's are gorgeous to look at and oh, so sweet to hit.  And the Tri-G driver felt really nice and really smooth. You won't find them in many, if any, retailers - but hunt them down and try them if you can, it'll be worth it...

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2301.JPG

Boatload of Bettinardi to look at during Demo Day. Not much to say here other than "Mmmmmmmm...."

Another product I've never actually tried. Gorgeous to look at and really well made...

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2196.JPG

Last booth hit of the day was Wilson Staff. This one, along with the Srixon booth, were the busiest and liveliest.  Like how Wilson set up a bit of a stage area with a ton of umbrella-covered tables and some couches for people to sit. It was the last booth on the Demo Day loop so it was pretty inviting to come in and chill for a bit.  Got to meet Eric Sillies, the winning designer of Driver Vs. Driver - we chatted for about 25 minutes -really nice guy and says the half-million is going to set up his kids' future and some is going to go for a long-promised getaway for him and his wife. Good guy!

IMG_2211.JPG

Precision Pro had a small launch event Tuesday evening to introduce their new for 2017 rangefinders: the NX7 and NX7 Pro. They're smaller - by a lot - than the previous Nexus model, and the Pro version features the slope functionality that can be switched off to be tournament legal.  Pricing is sweet -- $199 for the standard and $249 for the slope version. They'll be offering rebates of up to $50 during the first three months on the market - they should be out March 1st.

IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2216.JPG

Wednesday morning I got to meet Kim Braly - the KB behind KBS shafts at their product intro meeting.  Big news were the new S-Taper irons shafts and the new Graphite Hybrid Prototype shaft.  Brady says the S-Tapers will be the lowest spinning shafts on the market, and will be mid-launch (C-Tapers are low spin, low launch). He thinks this shaft will become the signature product for KBS.  

The Graphite Hybrid Proto is the first composite shaft for KBS - Braly said several players put it into play during the Fedex Cup, including Patrick Reed - who bagged it just prior to the Barclays, which he went out and won.

We'll be doing a Forum Review for the S-Tapers!  

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2239.JPG

Now this seems like a great idea -- it's a launch monitor in a ball.  DuoTrac introduced the Gen i1 "smart" ball at the show, even though they're nowhere close to having it ready to sell - still some bugs to work out that led to a slightly embarrassing product demo in front of the assembled press as the ball went dead right after the first swing. What it's supposed to do is give you launch monitor analytics, with all of the sensors and brains actually in the ball.  And NO!!!! YOU WON'T USE THIS BALL ON THE GOLF COURSE!!!!!!!  Amazing how many people on social media did not get that bit of obvious!

Holdups for the product right now are reliable/consistent data from higher swing speeds, and fitting the right ball composition.  As of right now they have the putter analytics and performance down - so they may release a putter only version sooner and wait for the short game and pull swing balls until they're ready.  Still, $139 for a short game/long game set isn't bad - if you have a hitting bay.

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

And kudos to Srixon for the Day 1 after-party of the event, featuring sliders and sushi and beer, oh my...

IMG_2313.JPG

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This video is a little long, but it really gives you a good look at what may have been THE Product of the Show -- the new Arccoss Course Management system, which was co-created with Microsoft.  It uses your performance data (if you're an Arccoss user) to help you figure out the best way to play any course.  This example show how two different golfers could play #11 at Augusta...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

This was the last thing we looked at on Friday - just before leaving. Everyone was packing up their booths but we stopped to check this thing out because it looked like fun...

It's a table top game for pubs, 19th holes or, if you want to spend the money, your rec room.  They can map out any course - even your home course - and set it up for gaming. It's from Spinner Sports -- basic table was around $750 -- the nice oak table (they were demoing for Pinehurst during the show) is about $1400.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Some fun at the Cobra/Puma booth at the end of the day Wednesday.  First video is GolfSpy Sam doing his thang with some wedge trickery...

And this is Tisha Alyn Abrea of Women With Drive. Your votes on who has the better moves??

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great job on everything!   Man I dig the camo type design on those Cleveland wedges and the blue ArGolf putter has a I want ole gray look to it.    :D 

GolfSpy Sam is pretty frigging impressive bouncing that ball however Tisha is shaking the moves little better. ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

... Right there with you Barbajo. The Yonex irons are the best irons you will never hit. They are very impressive but the only place I have ever seen them, is at the show. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Great job on everything!   Man I dig the camo type design on those Cleveland wedges and the blue ArGolf putter has a I want ole gray look to it.    :D

GolfSpy Sam is pretty frigging impressive bouncing that ball however Tisha is shaking the moves little better. ;)

There was a video with Sam? :D

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There was a video with Sam? :D

yea she was hotter that weaned coon pup on it's first Saturday night hunt!  Hmmmmm It might be a good thing my wife KellyBo hasn't joined MGS yet huh? ;)

Cleveland

Some great picks! Thanks for sharing!

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Did you guys get a chance to see this new offering from Cleveland?

C3S7lI4UYAAmxH1.jpg

I like a center shaft putter :wub: 

Cleveland

Did you guys get a chance to see this new offering from Cleveland?

C3S7lI4UYAAmxH1.jpg

I like a center shaft putter :wub:

Yeah, saw that too - new member of the Huntington Beach collection.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

show looks so awesome, a true benefit to MGS admins who put up with us on a daily basis  :D

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Wouldn't that Arccos system be irrelevant when you consider;

- fatigue from not drinking or eating properly

- day to day change of form

- did you travel far to get to the course = possibly tired

- weather

- nervous - are you playing for money?

- course conditions

And a lot of other factors that influence your golf game. 

A pro golfer can use these stats. The average golfer would be just as well of using that table with the discs to choose a club. The result is decided by so many factors that are so different from round to round. 

By the way - best coverage of the PGA Show Barbajo. And that includes everyone on Twitter and Instagram.

Wouldn't that Arccos system be irrelevant when you consider;

- fatigue from not drinking or eating properly

- day to day change of form

- did you travel far to get to the course = possibly tired

- weather

- nervous - are you playing for money?

- course conditions

And a lot of other factors that influence your golf game. 

A pro golfer can use these stats. The average golfer would be just as well of using that table with the discs to choose a club. The result is decided by so many factors that are so different from round to round. 

By the way - best coverage of the PGA Show Barbajo. And that includes everyone on Twitter and Instagram.

All fair points, but you can certainly say the same of any type of game plan you would develop to play any course. As Eisenhower said prior to D-Day, battle plans are great right up until the shooting starts.  

Seriously, if you study a course on line and determine your best way to play each hole, all of the factors you mentioned still come in to play, don't they? Doesn't mean, in my mind, anyway, that the planning is for nought.  From the face of it the Arccoss uses your own tendencies measured over dozens of rounds to help you figure out if you'd be better off using driver or 3 wood -- if you'd be better off, again based on data as opposed to testosterone, if laying up and trying to get up and down would be a better bet based on what what you are likely to do with a certain club.  It does give you the opportunity to see what the odds would be if you hit driver or a 3 wood on a given hole, and what the worst case scenario would be.

In truth, it's too much tech for me - I tend to like the idea of this type of thing more than actually committing to using it.  But the accumulation of data and the application of it is  really remarkable and if someone is so inclined to drill down into it, I would think it would make playing a course you've never played before a little less intimidating and maybe a little more fun. 

And what the hell, if you already have  Arccoss, the whole thing is free...

And thanks for the kind words Christian - we all had a pretty good time down there!  

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Are the S Tapers going to be a little lighter than the C-Tapers to help with that launch? Or will they be offering the same weights?

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I agree, JB. I like to know my tendencies. It doesn't mean I do anything to fix them, but at least I'm not surprised when I screw up.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Are the S Tapers going to be a little lighter than the C-Tapers to help with that launch? Or will they be offering the same weights?

They're not up on the KBS website yet, but Golfworks has them listed -- and they seem to be 15 grams lighter per shaft per flex. So C-Tapers in stiff are listed at 135 grams, the S-Tapers are listed at 120 grams. 

Very psyched to have these lined up for Forum Testing!

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Hmmm this TittleX has me interested for my winter golfing blues.

For the price it seems like a pretty good value. I'm sure there's a cost for extra courses, but it beats sitting in front of your computer playing WGT...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

They're not up on the KBS website yet, but Golfworks has them listed -- and they seem to be 15 grams lighter per shaft per flex. So C-Tapers in stiff are listed at 135 grams, the S-Tapers are listed at 120 grams.

Very psyched to have these lined up for Forum Testing!

I just looked and it seems like they're the same weight as C-tapers. Where S flex is 120g for both.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I just looked and it seems like they're the same weight as C-tapers. Where S flex is 120g for both.

Doh! You are correct - I was looking at the parallel tip specs for the C-Tapers.

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Enjoyed the Wilson booth, the Bettinardi booth to the point we did some youtube videos also.

I want to see the AR golf and confused them with another company that wanted to build putters after I fitted them

Yonex had a big presence, I am trying to figure if that was because Bridgestone  and Mizuno didn't show.

did you get to the golf mechanix booth? tool were very cool,,,,,

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Enjoyed the Wilson booth, the Bettinardi booth to the point we did some youtube videos also.

I want to see the AR golf and confused them with another company that wanted to build putters after I fitted them

Yonex had a big presence, I am trying to figure if that was because Bridgestone  and Mizuno didn't show.

did you get to the golf mechanix booth? tool were very cool,,,,,

I like how Wilson does the show -- fun booth at Demo Day and a modest conference room at the show to conduct some business.  

Can't express how much I liked the Yonex stuff -- mercy!  We did have a running gag through the show - heard from Yonex, Honma, Epon, Yamaha -- "we're spending the year trying to figure out North America." Once you get it, let the rest of us know!

Did not get to check out GolfMechanix - one of the many that slipped through he cracks. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great stuff Barbs.

I also agree with the Wilson booth strategy.

Great display on Demo Day. See and hit the stuff. Then conduct business in the meeting room during the week.

Which is exactly what I did with our rep after you left.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Doh! You are correct - I was looking at the parallel tip specs for the C-Tapers.

Do you know if these will still have the counter balanced feel to them?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Do you know if these will still have the counter balanced feel to them?

Nope - didn't get into it that deeply. 

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

I like how Wilson does the show -- fun booth at Demo Day and a modest conference room at the show to conduct some business.  

Can't express how much I liked the Yonex stuff -- mercy!  We did have a running gag through the show - heard from Yonex, Honma, Epon, Yamaha -- "we're spending the year trying to figure out North America." Once you get it, let the rest of us know!

Did not get to check out GolfMechanix - one of the many that slipped through he cracks. 

The good news for the consumer, is all of these primarily Japanese companies are going to make some effort to figure it out - First step is getting to know who they are, what they make, how are they different, yada yada yada - and then can they come up with some type of plan to be successful in this market - 

Certainly a story we'll be working on!

Great pics and vids, thanks for all of the great work.  I especially like the look of everything Yonex and the Cleveland flag wedge. 

The Volvik balls reminded me of Vision balls in some of their designs.

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Archived