TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can I safely paint or powdercoat the face of a putter?

Hey guys and girls,

I have a Scotty Cameron red x3. I want to make the whole putter red. Does anyone have experience with painting a putter including the face? Basically I'm worried that it will throw off the loft of the putter and/or make the face uneven and cause putts to roll offline. I'm also considering powdercoating it. Any info and experience you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

MacKie

So do you just wait around to troll people looking to do diy projects or are you an a****** all the time? If you're going to answer, at least know what you're talking about. If you want to paint something correctly, you need to prime, add at least 2 coats of paint, and a coat or 2 of clear, unless you want the paint to chip. 5-6 coats of primer/paint/clear could absolutely make a difference when you're talking degrees or parts of a degree. Powdercoat is thicker than paint so it too could make a difference. Which is why I asked for input from people with experience. You really added 0 value to the conversation. And lastly, I don't know about you, but this will be my first year of competitive golf and I want to make every putt I hit, if my putter is exactly the way I like it then I have a better chance to make more putts.

You don't want to use powder coat I don't think. It might work, but it's less than ideal for finishing an entire clubhead with. There are options for doing what you're looking to do though. If I were you, I would look into cerakote and/or duracoat finishes. Basically all of the "polymer" finishes you see on Scotty mods, etc... are either one of the two, or a home brew that's a reasonable facsimile of these products. You can use them to finish in any color you want, so you're not stuck with a shade of red that doesn't fit right.

Per your post, it sounds like you're setup to DIY powder coat, so you should already have everything you need to do a quick polymer finish on your putter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

You don't want to use powder coat I don't think. It might work, but it's less than ideal for finishing an entire clubhead with. There are options for doing what you're looking to do though. If I were you, I would look into cerakote and/or duracoat finishes. Basically all of the "polymer" finishes you see on Scotty mods, etc... are either one of the two, or a home brew that's a reasonable facsimile of these products. You can use them to finish in any color you want, so you're not stuck with a shade of red that doesn't fit right.

Per your post, it sounds like you're setup to DIY powder coat, so you should already have everything you need to do a quick polymer finish on your putter

Thanks for the reply, I actually was going to take it to have it professionally done if I was going to powdercoat. Painting is something I'd be willing to try on my own as it's easy enough to just remove the paint. I'll definitely look into the duracoat! Thanks for the input!

I agree - if it had a face insert, sure. The red x, no. I also think that cerakote or duracoat would be ideal. Both are firearms finishes, so you can get them at a local hunting/gun shop, or online if you like eBay, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

As long as the paint is even I don't think you are going to mess with the loft.  5-6 coats of paint could absolutely mess with the feel though.  Worst case though is take some tal-strip and start over if you don't like it.

Have you considered leaving the face as is and painting the rest of the putter?  Then you could do the paint fill on the face red to tie in the theme.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

As long as the paint is even I don't think you are going to mess with the loft.  5-6 coats of paint could absolutely mess with the feel though.  Worst case though is take some tal-strip and start over if you don't like it.

Have you considered leaving the face as is and painting the rest of the putter?  Then you could do the paint fill on the face red to tie in the theme.

I have thought about possibly leaving the face untouched and then plasti-dip'n the face, that way I could peel and re-apply as needed. I've emailed a local gun shop to see what they charge for the duracoat process. Duracoat makes a beautiful crimson color very similar to Jason Day's spider S limited. If it's not too expensive I may go that route.

I've rolled plenty of polymer/duracoat putter heads with the finish applied to face, and truthfully I can't tell the difference. I always thought it would affect the feel/sound, but side by side with an off the rack putter, it's indiscernible. At least, to me it is... maybe a tour player would notice - but I kinda doubt it.

And a duracoat/ceratoke/polymer finish is absolutely 100% legal under usga rules of golf

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Archived