TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is Mizuno next?

furu

Some rumours surrounding Mizuno. Will they do "a Nike" sooner rather than later?

The problem for Mizuno is that they're famous for their irons. Not balls. Definitely not shoes and clothes, like Nike. They don't have any high profit products that can make them stay in golf.

That would be far sadder than Nike

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

that. would. suck. BADLY. maybe they just stick with irons and wedges and even pare down the offerings? I haven't tried the newer driver, fairway or hybrid yet, but they also seem to be coming out with many lines of irons each year, between MP, MP-H,  JPX EZ, 3 JPX number lines, then wedges that alter shape from year to year.

Their bread and butter seem to be the MP line, may just offer MP, and 1-2 along the JPX line for GI and moderate forgiveness??

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Mizuno was conspicuously absent from the merchandise show last week.  Could this be a rumor stemming from that fact or the first signs of them exiting the business?  It's hard to say at this point but it would be sad to see.  Mizuno has had some iconic iron offerings through the years.

Everyone should try out the JPX 900 driver because it's really good.  I think Mizuno has more of a global presence than we in the US see, especially in Asia.  They just choose not to bring all the products Stateside so it looks like they don't have much going on.  Sort of the same as what Bridgestone does.

My bag is a revolving door!

@MCasey - I fear that's wishful thinking on your part.  If they aren't turning enough of a profit and want out they are highly unlikely to trim their line in order to stay in. 

What I could see is them staying in the market in Asia and Europe and pulling from the US.  Frankly though I don't know enough about the golf business or their business model to make anything beyond a hopeful guess such as that one.  We'll see. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Let's pump the breaks a tad - I've been to the last 3 PGA Shows and Mizuno hasn't been at any of them. They tend to go their own way, so I wouldn't read anything into their absence

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Let's pump the breaks a tad - I've been to the last 3 PGA Shows and Mizuno hasn't been at any of them. They tend to go their own way, so I wouldn't read anything into they're absence

... Ad to that Mizuno knows it is basically a niche product in the US. They have a very loyal following that doesn't replace irons every year, but when they do they replace them with Mizuno's. I was very interested in the 900 Forged but went with Srixon 545's. The current line up of the 900 series should move their sales in a positive direction, although how much is anyones guess in todays equipment climate. 

... It will also be interesting to see how the T7 sells this season. One of the better wedges imo since fewer and fewer wedges come with my personal preference of a dead straight leading edge. Mizuno doesn't do as much advertising as other's like Cleveland or Vokey. I have yet to see a satin T7 in any stores and the blue T7's don't seem to be moving. Since I have played Nike wedges for a long time now, I will be taking a hard look at the satin T7's.

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Agree that Mizuno are really a different brand in the US to the rest of Europe and Asia. As far as the US sales go, it only accounts for a small part of their sales. Mizuno worldwide are rather like Wilson in terms of sporting equipment sales - they do a lot more than just golf.

And up until a few years ago, Mizuno always used to debut their new equipment in UK / Europe first - a refreshing change to get something the US couldn't. Anyways, like a lot of other brands Mizuno are struggling to make inroads against the market leaders, (not just in the US either) especially in the woods and other non-iron equipment. It would be too early to say if they would lessen or completely stop the flow of exports to the US in golfing equipment, but Bridgestone also found themselves in this predicament last year.

Loyal customers means nothing if you don't make money having only these customers.

I agree that being absent from the show isn't a sign of anything when it comes to Mizuno.

Europe is a small market, but their office is in Italy and virtually impossible to deal with. They don't even ship to Norway. We're a mini country, but actually not being able to buy Mizuno here - that's just weird.

I have yet to see a satin T7 in any stores and the blue T7's don't seem to be moving. Since I have played Nike wedges for a long time now, I will be taking a hard look at the satin T7's.

Maybe I'll find a good deal on some of those blue T7's! I kind of dig that color!!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I think they will be alright as the quality of their product has been known for years.  If you build good stuff, folks will hang with ya. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I think they will be just fine, they march to their own drum beat.

The pro shop I shop at likes working with Mizuno, they have a lot more S5 wedges still on the shelf, before they stock up on the T7 wedges.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Let's pump the breaks a tad - I've been to the last 3 PGA Shows and Mizuno hasn't been at any of them. They tend to go their own way, so I wouldn't read anything into their absence

I'm not playing mizuno gear so they shouldn't be in any trouble. The one factor that was consistent with the recent companies going under was that I've had their gear in my bag.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm not playing mizuno gear so they shouldn't be in any trouble. The one factor that was consistent with the recent companies going under was that I've had their gear in my bag.

You ARE the kiss of death, bruddah.... :lol:  :lol:

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Want some Pats head covers? Lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Fear me!

IMG_1441.JPG

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Well .. I'm wearing my Mizuno warm-up pants and Mizuno Wave Creation workout sneaks as I'm reading thru this... :)

I have one Miz club .. which I love .. is the Blue Ion S5 (54-12). May add a 50°.

Demo'ed the JPX-850 last year, and really liked them!, but ended up with Cobra F6s (more forgiving).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I love Mizuno. I think they've got a great product and are extremely underrated in their wood offerings. If you haven't tried their EZ or 850/900 driver I say give them a go. You'll be extremely surprised. Their overall catalog of products is solid and I don't see them going anywhere.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

• SPY VIP

I've done some cursory digging on this one, and it has some steam. Not saying it's going to happen, but there does seem to be enough chatter within the industry that it's at least possible.

As John said, the absence from the PGA Show is nothing (they haven't been on the floor in years) or in a conference room for the last couple, and the market is in decline. Even if their share holds steady, it's still less money in with no reduction in development costs. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I've done some cursory digging on this one, and it has some steam. Not saying it's going to happen, but there does seem to be enough chatter within the industry that it's at least possible.

As John said, the absence from the PGA Show is nothing (they haven't been on the floor in years) or in a conference room for the last couple, and the market is in decline. Even if their share holds steady, it's still less money in with no reduction in development costs.

Is there not a Mizuno distributor in Georgia?

Cleveland

Is there not a Mizuno distributor in Georgia?

Weren't they assembled in Atlanta?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Weren't they assembled in Atlanta?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Actually after doing a little google search on the subject I found out this:

Mizuno USA, Inc.'s roots stem from its parent company Mizuno Corporation. Mizuno Corporation was established in Osaka, Japan in 1906 by Rihachi Mizuno. Today, Mizuno USA is located in Norcross, GA and continues to manufacture and distribute high quality golf, baseball, softball, running, track & field and volleyball equipment, apparel, and footwear

Cleveland

If T says there's some steam the level of concern rises a notch. Furu has always appeared to me as a trust worthy person as well.

This would be the most stunning one of all. Adams was more TMag swallowing up a competitor. Nike may have been fairly big but once the market declined it couldn't support a third giant. Hogan had IMO a poor business model at the wrong time.

This though would be a crusher. I know that we've beaten the is golf in trouble argument to death. I'm at a retreat with 15 pastors and one who knows nothing about golf asked me why so many courses in his area are closed. There is no doubt that the industry is in trouble.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

If T says there's some steam the level of concern rises a notch. Furu has always appeared to me as a trust worthy person as well.

This would be the most stunning one of all. Adams was more TMag swallowing up a competitor. Nike may have been fairly big but once the market declined it couldn't support a third giant. Hogan had IMO a poor business model at the wrong time.

This though would be a crusher. I know that we've beaten the is golf in trouble argument to death. I'm at a retreat with 15 pastors and one who knows nothing about golf asked me why so many courses in his area are closed. There is no doubt that the industry is in trouble.

Totally agree about Adams, Nike, and Hogan.  However, I think golf courses in trouble may be a location-specific phenomenon.  Over the past 10 years there have been only a few courses that I know of in the Pacific Northwest that closed, and these were private.  Some later open again as semi-private.  If anything, I think business is good and specially in my area, we could use another course or two.  I suspect that those areas where courses were over built may be suffering.  If the courses here in Phoenix are suffering, you wouldn't know it!  Prices are REALLY high, but then I'm cheap!   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I would hate to see Mizzy close up shop. They make great irons and wedges! 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 6 months later...

Archived