TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you get your clubs?

Gogolf

I'm in the market to buy new clubs for the 2017 season. I'm curious how other members buy their clubs.

What route to you take to buy clubs?

- eBay

- Buy-sell-trade in forums

- Craigslist

- Big Box Stores (GolfGalaxy,GolfWrx,etc)

- Get clubs for free/sponsored

- Local Pro shop

- Through Golf Pro

- Direct from vendor

- Other

You have a couple of choices. Pick what you want because it looks good, feels good, or makes you happy to play those particular clubs. Or get yourself fitted and identify the characteristics you need from clubs and then purchase those clubs from any of the above.

How you purchase can vary based on what you are trying to buy. If used there are lots of outlets. If new. Buy anywhere since the price will be about the same.

I have purchased from golf forums. Manufacturer, big box for both new and used, and online websites.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am going to get fit with our pro, and then buy them thru him.  I have a very good idea what I want and what will fit, but always good to have a 2nd set of eyes.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

None of the above that were listed for me....

except other.

I bought mine from a custom club fitter and builder. Best I've ever owned.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ebay, forum classifieds, online retailers, local proshop, through fitter.  I've bought from a lot of places and it kind of depends what I'm looking for.

Just want the best price?  Most likely ebay, forum classifieds or online retailer.  Want something specific then I'm probably going through my local proshop.  Something built exactly to spec then I'm going through a fitter.

I do most of my own club work so the majority of the time for me I'm buying where I can find what I'm looking for at the best price.  Then I'll rebuild it myself to my desired specs.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I do most of my own club work so the majority of the time for me I'm buying where I can find what I'm looking for at the best price. Then I'll rebuild it myself to my desired specs.

I'm with him^^^

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Local Pro shop 90% and 10% E-bay.

Like to knowing I am helping local business.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Just a word of caution regarding ebay. Lots of counterfeit clubs floating around so make sure you vet the seller as best as possible

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I've bought a few clubs off of eBay (and even Callaway pre-owned) that ended up being counterfeit. One thing I found to help vet these is you can ask for club serial numbers. You can often check those numbers by emailing the manufacturer and asking them to give you the specs for that club. If the number is not in the manufacturers database or doesn't match the club (counterfeits still often have bogus numbers to make them look authentic) then you know to stay away.

Another caution on used equipment is that some sellers tend to oversell the condition--usually the guys selling their own personal clubs. I just bought a driver that was "mint", when I received it, it had a large scratch/scuff on the backside of the crown that was not in view in the pictures. I told seller that the club was not mint and their response was that they only used it for two rounds...had to explain that low number of rounds does not have anything to do with the word "mint" as it is commonly used to describe condition...face palm. I returned it, waste of both of our time.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I like to buy local if I can and help support the local shops. I do buy some used gear off of eBay from time to time (putters, drivers, woods). If I don't like it I put it back on eBay for sale. In used gear you can usually sell for about what you bought it for (minus shipping) within a season or two so not a bad way to try out something you aren't sure about and actually get to use it on the course.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I'm fortunate enough to have a great and knowledgeable head pro at my club. Last two sets have come from a fitting with him.

He does a great job of taking care of the membership. It's only fitting we do our best to take care of him. Especially when his prices aren't more than any retailer I have been to.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Woods, I buy online.

Irons/hybrids, I build myself.

Wedges, I buy online.

Putter...still playing the first one I bought.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'm just an average (but improving ) player so feel free to cheerfully ignore my suggestions ;) .. but I do know what I like vs don't like in sports equipment; eg. what feels good to me / will perform well for me.

I'm a little more DIY, so my process (over the past year) was...

1. Online research to get an idea of what's out there, what the particular qualities of different clubs are

2. Also read reviews (not "Hot List") to see what people .. including MGS members! .. may be saying about it

3. Think hard about what the proper set makeup *for you* is. For example, at what number iron are you not so comfortable / confident hitting it and should that club be a hybrid or maybe a wood?

4. Go to a big box store and test test test. If there's more than one near enough to you, visit them both/all.

5. Go back a few times to double-check your initial reactions (and maybe buy a glove or a dozen balls or a hat while you're there). Be open to suggestions from the store staff - I wasn't initially considering Cobra F6 irons but that's what I ended up getting.

6. Also spend time playing with a bunch of different putters! Almost all stores have some set up around an indoor putting area.

---

Here is GolfSpy Barbajo's blog on putter fitting...

https://www.mygolfspy.com/zen-and-the-art-of-putter-fitting/

---

Then depending on your own comfort level with "self fitting" ... either...

-- determine your budget and if you want all new or want to shop used .. and as mentioned by others look carefully at online "deals"...

Or...

-- find a well-rated custom fitter* near you and treat yourself to a "full bag" fitting.

* Not a big box store .. an independent shop or maybe something like a True Spec or Club Champion

Some of the advantages of a proper fitting include getting to test a variety of shafts in the woods and in the irons - more than you could try in a big box store; and making sure your set has a good progression (loft, length, lie, swing weight, etc. etc.) through the bag - which can help you get more consistent distance gapping.

Tom Wishon's website has some good info on custom fitting.

So, all that said about DIY - I'm treating myself (a week from now) to a full bag fitting at a highly recommended custom fitter. I felt I needed to learn more about golf equipment first (have not been playing all that long) .. so that I'd have a good idea of what I like and what I don't like, what I can hit and what works for me, where I think my problem areas are and what sorts of questions to ask, etc. I think now I'm "ready" and will get much more out of a fitting vs a year ago (and my swing technique is improved so I'll .. hopefully, ha! .. be able to swing a given club more consistently a few times in a row).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Archived