TESTERS WANTED! ×

Has anyone switched from progressive length to single length irons ?

Golf is hard enough as it is.  I'm not a bad golfer...12/13/14/15 hcp, but I just can't stop thinking that a single length club will make things easier.

Logically speaking - with a single length iron, you make the same swing each time, stand the same distance from the ball, usually put the ball in the same location on your swing.  And if you can repeat a good swing consistently then a lot of variables with progressive irons go out the window (i.e. move the ball up/stand further away with long irons, stand closer to ball with shorter irons, etc.)

All that you really need are a few swings - metalwoods, irons, wedges...and you don't need to be "afraid" to hit a 4 iron! 

• Maybe I'm out in the left field on this one, but has anyone gone from a progressive set of irons (I have the Callaway Apex Pro) to a single length iron?
  • What was the experience like?  
  • Anything you regret?  
  • How big is the learning curve?  
  • I assume that you *must* get fit... was it hard to find a fitter for single length irons?  
  • What was your set makeup?
  • Did you give up and go back at a certain point and, if so, why?

Thanks in advance!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Too old and set in my old hacker ways

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I haven't made the switch and haven't swung single length clubs.  That said here are my issues.

• Gapping on the longer irons.  You need to still generate the swing speed required to get a 4i lofted club in the air, but now you have to do it with a shorter shaft. 
  • Wedges - Make your PW 2.5 inches longer and it's going to create problems on some shots.  Then if you transition to regular length GW, SW & LW you are going to be creating gaps again.
  • While it may be the same swing, you still have to transition mentally to play the longer irons closer to your body and the wedges farther away.  I would assume that is a mental adjustment that will take a little time.

I'm not saying single length irons can't work, but I don't think it's a situation where you pick them up and instantly everything is sunshine and roses.  Who knows though, maybe if I get a chance to hit them all those issues would just melt away.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The only thing I know about SL irons is this...

My fitter fits, builds, and sells the Wishon/Sterling SL irons. In December he told me this past year he had sold 22 sets! Now... most of his customers live in an area - city known for retires. And they play a lot of golf.

I can't put the same swing on my existing clubs now so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't with a set of SL irons either. SL irons won't produce a repeatable swing. If you can't repeat your swing now how can you expect to do that with a new set of SL irons? Doesn't jibe IMHO.

I would like to go out one day and try a set that were fit to me with no obligation to buy. But that ain't gonna happen.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have hit them indoors. I was excited to try them but found that hitting the edges of the set to be very inconsistent.

Obviously it isn't a fair opinion after only 40 or so swings, but I didn't think it would be as awkward as it was.

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

I made a set of the Wishon Sterling's last June as an experiment that I honestly thought I would move on from.  I currently still have them in my bag and don't see them leaving anytime soon.

I already play a 3 and 4 hybrid so my set is 5-GW.  I kept a my standard length SW because I don't use it often on full shots and it's more comfortable in bunkers to hit a shorter length.  Based on your questions here are a few observations:

---The long irons fly lower and the short irons fly higher.  To be honest I think Wishon made the lofts too low in the longer irons and I had them adjusted to match the Cobra forged single length iron lofts instead.  This gave me more height in the longer irons and made my distance gapping much better.  You will definitely want to go somewhere and use a launch monitor to make sure all the irons are flying the correct yardages.

5 iron - 23 loft adjusted to 25

6 iron - 27 loft adjusted to 29

7 iron - 31 loft adjusted to 33

8 iron - 35 loft adjusted to 37

9 iron - 40 loft adjusted to 41

PW - 45 loft stayed the same

GW - 50 loft stayed the same

SW - Had my 56 adjusted to 55

---There was a small learning curve to get used to the different ball flight of the longer and shorter irons but that took only a few range sessions to adjust.  Once you realize that every iron is going to be played in the exact same way, the adjustment period is over.  To me it's ideal because now it truly doesn't matter what irons I practice with which makes range time very effective and productive.

---Since the longer irons play a little lower I will sometimes move them just slightly up in my stance to gain more height.  This is mainly for the 5 iron and I don't move it more than 1" or so.  The GW and PW hit higher so sometimes playing into the wind takes a little more planning.  I've found I can easily choke down to hit lower shots though because the shaft is longer so it just feels like I'm hitting a normal wedge length again.  Super easy!

---I personally don't think you need single length irons in a SW or LW unless you full swing those clubs a lot (which I rarely do).  For chipping and sand shots it's just easier to have the shorter shaft length.  Honestly the GW in the Sterling set is ugly and clunky and I wish they would redesign it.  Sterling Irons posted on their Instagram they are going to redesign the SW and LW to look more like normal wedges and I'm hoping that I might be able to take the new SW and bend it down to a GW loft.  It should be possible due to the bounce and the ability to bend these clubs 4 degrees.

My bag is a revolving door!

hmmh,  I thought I posted in here yesterday, but it must not have saved.

I have not made the switch yet, but I've hit the Cobra One Forged enough to know I love them, and I will most likely own a set sometime this year.   I said it in the blog piece about Best of PGA Show, I think the One Length along with the Arccos Course Management software is going to change the game for a lot of people this year and going forward.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Built sterlings, one range session later i sold them

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I stopped at a PGA Superstore today in Scottsdale and tried out the Cobra King Forged ONE length irons, just to see if the idea would work for me.  I thought I would have trouble with the short irons being a 7i length, but they were very easy to hit.  For me of course, it was difficult to get the 5i up to the height that I would like, but they only had steel shaft demos and I just don't hit steel shafts that high anymore.  Distances were a little short of my irons, but again it was likely the difference between steel and graphite.  Bottom line:  I could play them in graphite, but I don't think the game would be any easier for me playing them over my gamers.  I certainly can find other ways to spend money that would help me more.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• SPY VIP

Glad to see you gave them a thorough run :)

Seriously, working on a story on this here in a bit - Had a chance to go through a full fitting with Edel and speak with a bunch of people at the PGA show last week.I really think there's significant possibility here and I'm interested to see how I adjust to these.

I'm about to reshaft my irons. This concept has crossed my mind. However, if I were to do this, it would be progressively. Long irons are certain length, middle irons the same and short irons to follow. So, I would be working with 3 lengths instead of 1 length or 9/10 different lengths.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm about to reshaft my irons. This concept has crossed my mind. However, if I were to do this, it would be progressively. Long irons are certain length, middle irons the same and short irons to follow. So, I would be working with 3 lengths instead of 1 length or 9/10 different lengths.

I don't see any advantage to doing that.  The SL concept works because you use one swing for all irons, but all heads must weigh the same.  If you have conventional clubs, you will have different swingweights so clubs will feel different.  You would also have inconsistent gapping unless you also changed the lofts.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Research EQUS irons to see about the 3 length irons setup.

https://www.equsgolf.com

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Glad to see you gave them a thorough run :)

Seriously, working on a story on this here in a bit - Had a chance to go through a full fitting with Edel and speak with a bunch of people at the PGA show last week.I really think there's significant possibility here and I'm interested to see how I adjust to these.

One range session was enough to know they weren't going to work for me. I hit them for lie adjustment indoors. One outdoor session told me enough to know they weren't for me

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Research EQUS irons to see about the 3 length irons setup.

https://www.equsgolf.com

Thanks for that ... very intriguing concept. Makes more sense to me vs single length all the way through.

StrokerAce (from the old movie?) -- what Kenny said makes sense, too. Single length iron heads seem to be different than traditional progressive length iron heads; ie. cannot simply re-shaft.

I noticed the EQUS are designed MOI-matched (which is one of my questions for my custom fitting next week).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I made a set of the Wishon Sterling's last June as an experiment that I honestly thought I would move on from.  I currently still have them in my bag and don't see them leaving anytime soon.

I already play a 3 and 4 hybrid so my set is 5-GW.  I kept a my standard length SW because I don't use it often on full shots and it's more comfortable in bunkers to hit a shorter length.  Based on your questions here are a few observations:

---The long irons fly lower and the short irons fly higher.  To be honest I think Wishon made the lofts too low in the longer irons and I had them adjusted to match the Cobra forged single length iron lofts instead.  This gave me more height in the longer irons and made my distance gapping much better.  You will definitely want to go somewhere and use a launch monitor to make sure all the irons are flying the correct yardages.

5 iron - 23 loft adjusted to 25

6 iron - 27 loft adjusted to 29

7 iron - 31 loft adjusted to 33

8 iron - 35 loft adjusted to 37

9 iron - 40 loft adjusted to 41

PW - 45 loft stayed the same

GW - 50 loft stayed the same

SW - Had my 56 adjusted to 55

---There was a small learning curve to get used to the different ball flight of the longer and shorter irons but that took only a few range sessions to adjust.  Once you realize that every iron is going to be played in the exact same way, the adjustment period is over.  To me it's ideal because now it truly doesn't matter what irons I practice with which makes range time very effective and productive.

---Since the longer irons play a little lower I will sometimes move them just slightly up in my stance to gain more height.  This is mainly for the 5 iron and I don't move it more than 1" or so.  The GW and PW hit higher so sometimes playing into the wind takes a little more planning.  I've found I can easily choke down to hit lower shots though because the shaft is longer so it just feels like I'm hitting a normal wedge length again.  Super easy!

---I personally don't think you need single length irons in a SW or LW unless you full swing those clubs a lot (which I rarely do).  For chipping and sand shots it's just easier to have the shorter shaft length.  Honestly the GW in the Sterling set is ugly and clunky and I wish they would redesign it.  Sterling Irons posted on their Instagram they are going to redesign the SW and LW to look more like normal wedges and I'm hoping that I might be able to take the new SW and bend it down to a GW loft.  It should be possible due to the bounce and the ability to bend these clubs 4 degrees.

Awesome feedback!  Just what I was looking for.  Thanks man... Cheers!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

were there things you liked/didn't like about them?  Or were they just not for you?

Ooops!  Saw your response... guess they just aren't for some guys.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

As soon as Bryson D. wins a tournament with a set of Cobra 1 length I'm curious what the reaction/response will be.
Especially if he goes really low.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I don't see any advantage to doing that. The SL concept works because you use one swing for all irons, but all heads must weigh the same. If you have conventional clubs, you will have different swingweights so clubs will feel different. You would also have inconsistent gapping unless you also changed the lofts.

Thanks for the advice.

were there things you liked/didn't like about them? Or were they just not for you?

Ooops! Saw your response... guess they just aren't for some guys. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

The long irons were extremely clicky, and I built them with dowels and Sensicore. Top end of the bag were just harsh. The distance was okay but I'd have to bend the lofts a little to get the gaps I like. And chipping with the 9-Gw just felt awkward. I could spend some time with them and get used to them but I don't have the free time to learn parts of the game over again.

In The Bag

• SPY VIP

Demoed both versions of Cobra One a couple of times.

Didn't mind the long PW, but the 5i was for some reason impossible to make good contact with.

Strange feeling. Maybe it was the mats...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Kind of depends if he learns to putt first. If he doesn't he's not going to win. ... with any clubs!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Kind of depends if he learns to putt first. If he doesn't he's not going to win. ... with any clubs!

why did they tell him his new sidesaddle putter/stroke was non-conforming?  Just because it looked different?

The guy is trying to revolutionize the old-fashioned way of doing things...let him try!

http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/26/bryson-dechambeaus-putter-was-deemed-non-conforming-but-his-side-saddle-stance-shouldnt-be-an-issue/

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

why did they tell him his new sidesaddle putter/stroke was non-conforming? Just because it looked different?

The guy is trying to revolutionize the old-fashioned way of doing things...let him try!

Was not the stroke that was non conforming. It was the actual putter an had to do with how it was shafted. I am sure he will make the necessary modifications and be back out the putting side saddle

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Was not the stroke that was non conforming. It was the actual putter an had to do with how it was shafted. I am sure he will make the necessary modifications and be back out the putting side saddle

Much to the consternation of the USGA.  They don't want him putting that way.

Much to the consternation of the USGA. They don't want him putting that way.

They may not but it would be harder to get rid of after Sam Snead used the side saddle method for so many years. I think since one of golfs legends used side saddle they won't permanently ban the method

They may not but it would be harder to get rid of after Sam Snead used the side saddle method for so many years. I think since one of golfs legends used side saddle they won't permanently ban the method

it's like shooting free throws underhanded.  one of the best shooters in the history of the league did it and everyone makes fun of it now.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Stroker... I'm not talking about his "side-saddle" putting. Go for it I say. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I don't recall Chambeau being that good of a putter anyway with any putter or style. He's an odd dude unconventional guy for sure. I say more power to him. Hope he wins one day.

And... as we all know; the USGA doesn't always make the best of decisions either.

• 4 weeks later...

I received two pieces of feedback from golfers I made the sets.

most were better golfers, lower 80s to higher 70s scores.

The lower irons were easier to hit and the higher irons particularly the 5 was hard to get distance.

In many cases I had to go outside to the range and let them hit the clubs working to the 5 iron

In most every case the golfer was try harder to get distance because they knew it was a shorter club in length.

After a little mind bending, the swing returned to normal the shot because better.

If the swing speed is slower stop at the 6 iron and get into some hybrids.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

In most every case the golfer was try harder to get distance because they knew it was a shorter club in length.

After a little mind bending, the swing returned to normal the shot because better.

I'm curious what you mean by "try harder".  Were they swinging the club harder than they typically swing a 5 iron?  I've always heard that you should always try to hit the ball hard.  Sounds like, psychologically, they thought "there's no way this will go my 5 iron distance so I better swing out of my shoes to get it there".... kind of like if you handed someone a junior club and asked them to hit it.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the feedback!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Archived