Has anyone switched from progressive length to single length irons ?

Our Sponsors

• SPY VIP

Demoed both versions of Cobra One a couple of times.

Didn't mind the long PW, but the 5i was for some reason impossible to make good contact with.

Strange feeling. Maybe it was the mats...

• Like 1

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Kind of depends if he learns to putt first. If he doesn't he's not going to win. ... with any clubs!

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Kind of depends if he learns to putt first. If he doesn't he's not going to win. ... with any clubs!

why did they tell him his new sidesaddle putter/stroke was non-conforming?  Just because it looked different?

The guy is trying to revolutionize the old-fashioned way of doing things...let him try!

http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/26/bryson-dechambeaus-putter-was-deemed-non-conforming-but-his-side-saddle-stance-shouldnt-be-an-issue/

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

why did they tell him his new sidesaddle putter/stroke was non-conforming? Just because it looked different?

The guy is trying to revolutionize the old-fashioned way of doing things...let him try!

Was not the stroke that was non conforming. It was the actual putter an had to do with how it was shafted. I am sure he will make the necessary modifications and be back out the putting side saddle

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Was not the stroke that was non conforming. It was the actual putter an had to do with how it was shafted. I am sure he will make the necessary modifications and be back out the putting side saddle

Much to the consternation of the USGA.  They don't want him putting that way.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Much to the consternation of the USGA. They don't want him putting that way.

They may not but it would be harder to get rid of after Sam Snead used the side saddle method for so many years. I think since one of golfs legends used side saddle they won't permanently ban the method

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

They may not but it would be harder to get rid of after Sam Snead used the side saddle method for so many years. I think since one of golfs legends used side saddle they won't permanently ban the method

it's like shooting free throws underhanded.  one of the best shooters in the history of the league did it and everyone makes fun of it now.

• Like 1

P G410 LST | C King F7 | C SuperHybrid | T 818 H2 | S Z785 | C ZipCore | Bettinardi SS38 armlock

Stroker... I'm not talking about his "side-saddle" putting. Go for it I say. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I don't recall Chambeau being that good of a putter anyway with any putter or style. He's an odd dude unconventional guy for sure. I say more power to him. Hope he wins one day.

And... as we all know; the USGA doesn't always make the best of decisions either.

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

• 4 weeks later...

I received two pieces of feedback from golfers I made the sets.

most were better golfers, lower 80s to higher 70s scores.

The lower irons were easier to hit and the higher irons particularly the 5 was hard to get distance.

In many cases I had to go outside to the range and let them hit the clubs working to the 5 iron

In most every case the golfer was try harder to get distance because they knew it was a shorter club in length.

After a little mind bending, the swing returned to normal the shot because better.

If the swing speed is slower stop at the 6 iron and get into some hybrids.

• Like 1

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

In most every case the golfer was try harder to get distance because they knew it was a shorter club in length.

After a little mind bending, the swing returned to normal the shot because better.

I'm curious what you mean by "try harder".  Were they swinging the club harder than they typically swing a 5 iron?  I've always heard that you should always try to hit the ball hard.  Sounds like, psychologically, they thought "there's no way this will go my 5 iron distance so I better swing out of my shoes to get it there".... kind of like if you handed someone a junior club and asked them to hit it.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for the feedback!

The golfer was visually swing harder because they had a shorter club in their hands. Making poor contact

Yes that is what I meant. The minute the golfer got back into the regular rhythm the ball went better 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg ACCRA tour Z GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - 33" 3 deg loft 70 lie, lrg slight line slightly toe hang

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Here's my professional* take on single length irons. It's going to be a passing fad-thing. I believe that golfers looking for a cure for a bad game will buy these mostly. Yes sure they probably do have some merit to one degree or another. But at this point in time and with my game (which is still fairly decent) I'm not running with SLI or Bryson DeChambeau.

*I'm actually not a professional golfer and nobody ever thought I was either. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Here's my professional* take on single length irons. It's going to be a passing fad-thing. I believe that golfers looking for a cure for a bad game will buy these mostly. Yes sure they probably do have some merit to one degree or another. But at this point in time and with my game (which is still fairly decent) I'm not running with SLI or Bryson DeChambeau.

*I'm actually not a professional golfer and nobody ever thought I was either. :ph34r:

Have you ever tried them?

Stroker... I haven't. I have a 2 year old set of custom fitted clubs that I love and play well with. So... not in the market for any new sticks.

Go give them a try. They might be just what you're looking for. As the saying goes.... "you don't have to draw a picture. It's the number you write on the score card that counts."

Stroker... I haven't. I have a 2 year old set of custom fitted clubs that I love and play well with. So... not in the market for any new sticks.

Go give them a try. They might be just what you're looking for. As the saying goes.... "you don't have to draw a picture. It's the number you write on the score card that counts."

I just think this statement is unfair:

"I believe that golfers looking for a cure for a bad game will buy these mostly."

I understand it's your belief but it just seems like you're passing judgement on something you've never tried.  I know of multiple single handicap/scratch players that use single length clubs.

Plaid...I felt the same way when I first heard about them.   then I got to try them first hand, both the F7 and One Forged, and I saw a real true benefit.   Like any club, you still have to put a good swing on it to get good results, but at least in my mind, taking the same stance for both the 5 and 9 iron, seemed so much  more natural and easy.    

I haven't bitten the bullet yet, but I'm pretty sure i will own a set at some point this year, to give them a real test. 

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

If I needed a new set of irons, I would seriously give single length a chance.  I did swing the Cobras at the PGA Superstore last month, and if fitted, I could play them.  However, if I did switch, I would likely choose the Edel clubs, even if they do cost more because I think they could be a better fit for my game.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”