Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

My Edel putter fitting

Orange Hog

Yesterday I went through a putter fitting at the Jess Hansen Academy in Kansas City. This was the first time I've gone through a putter fitting and it was certainly eye-opening. Figured I'd share some of my experience with you guys.

For a bit of background on me, I've always considered putting one of the better parts of my game. Since I began tracking my stats (about 2 years now) I've averaged 33 putts per round and from one round to the next that number is pretty consistent. Lately, though, I've had some issues with putts of 4 to 5 feet. Just seems like my aim isn't where I want it to be to make 100% of those putts. Like a lot of people I've rotated the putter more times than I can count but I finally landed on a putter that I feel pretty comfortable with - Ping Ketsch Mid. Still it just didn't seem to get the job done enough for me...at least not to the level where I feel like I should be.

After reading a lot of reviews about Edel putters and their fitting process I decided to roll a couple different models while at the PGA Superstore in Dallas. I really liked the look and feel but couldn't really figure out which one was right for me. They aren't cheap so I wasn't about to take a leap without getting fit. So, I decided that I'd go in for a fitting with an Edel certified fitter.

Anyhow, fast forward to today. When I got to the academy Jess put me on the SAM machine to establish a baseline with my current gamer. I started by rolling 10 putts from around 8-10 feet and then we reviewed the data. Without boring you with all the stats here's the jist - my tempo is good but I was taking the putter too far back, the path was very much an in-to-out path and at impact the face was shut almost a full degree. Effectively I was hitting a smoother little baby draw with the putter! The issue with this, according to Jess, is that the miss on this club path can be pretty severe if the face doesn't close - in other words a big push to the right.

Jess also videoed me rolling those putts and discussed my set up to the ball with my gamer. First, my eye line was well behind the ball but a few inches and my weight was back on my heels too much. Second, Jess did a quick test to determine my dominant eye, which we discovered was the left eye. That being said Jess said that my ball position - center of my stance - was totally wrong. He said that I needed to set up with the ball aligned to the in-step of my left foot in order to put a bit more loft on the ball to get it rolling better.

So, the next step was to put me back on the SAM with a better set up, roll a few putts and see what the SAM suggested as optimal loft, lie angle, and toe hang. Basically it suggested that I needed 7 degrees of toe hang, 70 degrees lie angle and 1 degree of loft in a 34 inch length shaft.

Once we had the specs established Jess set me up with the E-3 head and we started working on alignment. To check alignment he put this green 2 ft by 2 ft green screen up with a special puck in front of it that is the size of a standard hole on a green. The puck, however, has this green laser that shoots out of it. Next he put a small mirror on the face of the putter, set down a ball and had me set up to the ball like I was rolling it toward the puck. He then moved the ball and the laser reflected where I was aiming at set up (it was left, by the way). He then put the ball back and had me step back and set up 2 more times. Both times I was dead in the middle of the cup so Jess said there was no need to try and alignment lines or different head shapes.

The really unique thing with Edel's fitting process is that head shape and alignment lines have major influences on how we aim the putter at address. I guess for me no alignment aid was optimal, which made things pretty easy.

The final step in the fitting was weighting out the putter, as this also has a significant impact on how the putter is delivered through impact. Jess had me set up and roll a few 10 foot putts and then tweaked the putter with a few different counterweights that slid down into the shaft. In the end I came away with a weight 6 inches down the grip and a back weight at the very butt end of the grip.

He handed me the final product, had me set up to a 10 foot putt and I was rolling in putts like it was nothing. The final product is the E-3 head in black with a black shaft and a round grip and the previously mentioned weight set up, which I should have in 7-10 days.

Why the rounded grip? Honestly, at first I was not excited about it and thought I'd be rolling the head too much. Turns out that's not at all the case. Additionally, Jess said that flat top grips run the risk of being installed incorrectly and possibly slipping over time, which both impact consistency. I know when I've installed Superstroke grips on my putters before I've always been nervous about does the grip really line up simply from me eye-balling it.  Rounded grips don't cause those issues and it really only took me 1 or 2 putts to discover that I liked how it felt.  It's a new change but I'm looking forward to it.

Sorry for the super long read but I found the process to be really cool. I'm excited to get the putter and will update this thread with in-hand pics when it arrives. I'll also drop some feedback in here once I get out and put it to work on the course.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great write up, thanks.....love to see the pics when you get your new putter

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Did you test the new putter configuration on the puttlab to verify the stroke was starting the ballon your intended line. I understand edel is very much about aim but you did a lot of changes to your setup based on an initial baseline. Did I miss where you retested the new putter configuration?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nice write up, thanks for sharing your experience!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Yes indeed. Nice write up. As many of your know.... my Edel fitting (at their headquarters) was UGH to put it nicely. What I read from Orange Hog is he had a "real" putter fitting. Other than putting at the puck and string on the floor I experienced nothing similar. Grip wasn't even discussed. They just said, "what do you want us to put on it."

Hog your guy sounds like a true professional. I'm also guessing your fitting wasn't preformed in a dirty garage.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Nice write up. What is a SAM machine for those of us not familiar with it?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Nice write up. What is a SAM machine for those of us not familiar with it?

SAM Puttlab is a platform that will measure all aspects of your putting stroke to include but not limited to path, face angle at address, face angle at impact , putter rotation, tempo and uses that information to score your putting stroke and can then provide some putter recommendations. You can also get a report that shows everything about your stroke.

Puttlab is in my opinion the cadilllac and Toni would be the Chevrolet. There are a few other systems. MGS showed one called hole more putts from the PGA show. If you are serious about improving your putting or learning about your stroke find a place that will do a Puttlab report for you.

Search on google for Sam Puttlab and you will find there site.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

FWIW: Blast Motion also does a pretty good job of recording putter data. Much cheaper than a SAM lab :)

i looked but the one thing it didn't seem to track is putter path.  Maybe I just missed it though.

• SPY VIP

i looked but the one thing it didn't seem to track is putter path.  Maybe I just missed it though.

When I used it, I paid more attention to face rotation than path. If the face opens and closes correctly, then you are likely using a putter that matches your natural path and more importantly, a putter that is square to target at impact. Tempo info was helpful to keep the stroke regular and tweak distances.

Not to thread jack but here is the link to blast info: https://blastmotion.com/products/golf/#features

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Great review .. thanks! Great insights into the whole process of a proper putter fitting .. very helpful.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

When I used it, I paid more attention to face rotation than path. If the face opens and closes correctly, then you are likely using a putter that matches your natural path and more importantly, a putter that is square to target at impact. Tempo info was helpful to keep the stroke regular and tweak distances.

Not to thread jack but here is the link to blast info: https://blastmotion.com/products/golf/#features

I had read the page which is where I didn't see path.  Rotation is important,  but rotation has to match up to path. Based on what I have learned and been shown regarding the putting stroke is that is that the vast majority of golfers do not have a perfect putter path an have a bias to the left or right which requires a putter that is open or closed to the putters path.  Because of this square to target doesn't necessarily mean that that ball will start online.  

Yes indeed. Nice write up. As many of your know.... my Edel fitting (at their headquarters) was UGH to put it nicely. What I read from Orange Hog is he had a "real" putter fitting. Other than putting at the puck and string on the floor I experienced nothing similar. Grip wasn't even discussed. They just said, "what do you want us to put on it."

Hog your guy sounds like a true professional. I'm also guessing your fitting wasn't preformed in a dirty garage.

No, it definitely wasn't a dirty garage. LOL.  Jess has a legit teaching academy - 3 bays all with GC2 and FSX software, a huge putting green, SAM putting lab, fitting carts from several major OEMs, lots of various training aids and equipment to build clubs (though I don't think he does much of that).

Did you test the new putter configuration on the puttlab to verify the stroke was starting the ballon your intended line. I understand edel is very much about aim but you did a lot of changes to your setup based on an initial baseline. Did I miss where you retested the new putter configuration?

We honestly didn't connect the final Edel set up to the SAM machine.  However, yes, we did re-test it on the laser puck several times.  Basically he got my aim straightened out with the head, alignment, etc. on the putter head then had me step away and roll 5 and 10 foot putts then go back to the laser puck.  He didn't want my brain to get too set on just the aiming aspect of the fitting.  I did this like 3 or 4 times and each time I was able to aim dead center on the laser puck.

Jess sent me an email on Friday and said that Edel notified him that my putter had shipped.  I'm expecting to have it in hand this week and will post pics at that time.  I've already pulled my old putter from the bag and don't even want to practice putting until I get the Edel.

Great info, hopefully when you pick your putter up he will put you on the laser again, sounds like you found a great fitter who did beyond what a certified Edel fitting is.

My Edel putter fitting wasn't as extensive as I did not get any baseline info from SAM putt lab as part of this fitting. That said, the fitting was free as I ended up purchasing an Edel. When I did my fitting they did not have the Torque Balance models so I was fit to a classic head style and I was encouraged to stay away from the pixel insert. I had also done a SAM putt lab at another location previously so I have some good baseline data. I was going to go back and do another SAM putt lab to get a current picture but now that the Evnroll has come out, I will be going to a Cool Clubs to do a putter fitting side by side with my Edel gamer.

Here's what I experienced with my fitting (roughly, been awhile)

1) Checked aim with Rife Cayman (which I loved for roll quality and asthetics but never made enough putts with), was well right, 2 to 3 feet, crazy right

2) Only way I can aim an Anser style head close to straight required a ridiculous amount offset, way more that is standard and an amount that is not pleasing to the eye at all, so

3) Fitter moved me to mid mallet with no sight lines and similar offset to my Cayman and checked, aim came in from far right based on shape change only (50%) improvement from this change alone

4) Added 1 line to the lower flange of the putter and checked, aim came in more, another 25%

5) Added 3 lines to the lower flange of the putter and checked again and aim came in and was spot on

6) Laser was also used to check loft, I think I ended up at 1.5* with my set-up

7) Completed distance testing to determine proper weighting including counterbalancing

8) We went back and forth between putting to holes and checking aim and every time I went back to check aim, it was spot on!

Unfortunately, when I picked up the putter I didn't have time to track down the fitter and go through an aim check with the laser again and never made it back as they aren't in town. That said, I can say without a doubt I started making more putts right away and to this day make more 4 to 15 footers than I ever did.

My only complaint is that the fitting put the lines on the flange of the putter but the putter came with the 3 lines on the top of the putter based on how paperwork was filled out. Edel theory (below) says there is a difference but I never tested it again so I don't know whether there was an impact or not. Since I have started practicing rolling putts over a dime at 2' I am assuming its a mute point as I can hit the dime consistently. 

Edel-AIM_5-Line_Bias-960x350_large.png?2

We created a line template as part of our fitting system that allows us to easily test various line arrangements to gauge their aiming ability to you as an individual. The results are incredible. Here is a quick recap:

1. 1. Lines, in general, tend to to make golfers aim left.
  2. 2. The farther back the lines are on the putter, the more they will tend to aim you left
  3. 3. Lines near the top-line influence aim less than those placed nearer the bottom cavity.
  4. 4. An absence of lines tends to create a right aim bias.

Awesome write up and great breakdown of the experience!

My fitting didn't include the SAM puttlab, but was basically everything else you've described. The round grip is really interesting isn't it? I've considered Super Stroke due to their popularity but the feel is this is really nice and honestly has very sound reasoning behind it.

Great story!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

1) Checked aim with Rife Cayman (which I loved for roll quality and asthetics but never made enough putts with), was well right, 2 to 3 feet, crazy right

2) Only way I can aim an Anser style head close to straight required a ridiculous amount offset, way more that is standard and an amount that is not pleasing to the eye at all, so

3) Fitter moved me to mid mallet with no sight lines and similar offset to my Cayman and checked, aim came in from far right based on shape change only (50%) improvement from this change alone

4) Added 1 line to the lower flange of the putter and checked, aim came in more, another 25%

5) Added 3 lines to the lower flange of the putter and checked again and aim came in and was spot on

7) Completed distance testing to determine proper weighting including counterbalancing

8) We went back and forth between putting to holes and checking aim and every time I went back to check aim, it was spot on!

I am curious about the addition of lines to tweak aiming. Is it possible that your brain is mentally adjusting as you subsequently add lines. For situation 3-5 above, isn't it possible that you step up to the ball knowing that your aim is a little off so you unconsciously aim left or right to correct this from the previous set up? Lines aim left while no lines aim right. Would like to know how this was determined and how this data was collected and analyzed.

I have never been fitted for a putter but I am going to be heading to 2nd Swing in March for a fitting. Might see if I can pick up a ZING—always loved the look of it. But I am really compelled by the data behind the EVNROLL and obviously have heard such great things about Edel putters (or has everyone convinced themselves they are great because they shelled out $350).

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

CC, 

Starting with the paragraph The Putting Triad they describe their fitting philosophy, by studies I am assuming they include their database of fittings going back to the beginning that helped develop and/or refine the fitting process until they got what they have today.

https://edelgolf.com/pages/classic-fit

Awesome write up and great breakdown of the experience!

My fitting didn't include the SAM puttlab, but was basically everything else you've described. The round grip is really interesting isn't it? I've considered Super Stroke due to their popularity but the feel is this is really nice and honestly has very sound reasoning behind it.

Great story!

I like the feel of SS grips but have always been concerned that if I don't get the flat edge perfectly aligned it might throw things off a bit.  Maybe it's being too OCD...maybe not.  That said, I was quite impressed with the round grip I tried in the fitting.  I'll give it a shot and see how it works.  Worst case scenario...just change the grip at some point down the road.

I am curious about the addition of lines to tweak aiming. Is it possible that your brain is mentally adjusting as you subsequently add lines. For situation 3-5 above, isn't it possible that you step up to the ball knowing that your aim is a little off so you unconsciously aim left or right to correct this from the previous set up? Lines aim left while no lines aim right. Would like to know how this was determined and how this data was collected and analyzed.

I have never been fitted for a putter but I am going to be heading to 2nd Swing in March for a fitting. Might see if I can pick up a ZING—always loved the look of it. But I am really compelled by the data behind the EVNROLL and obviously have heard such great things about Edel putters (or has everyone convinced themselves they are great because they shelled out $350).

I don't think most people consciously know they're aim is off.  I certainly didn't until I went through this fitting.  Even if you know that you're aim is off I'd question the consistency and accuracy in which you're able to adjust the aim with your current putter.  With the Edel, for example, you don't have to think about that.  Just line up to the ball and it's set up to how your eyes and your brain process the proper alignment to your target.

Great info, hopefully when you pick your putter up he will put you on the laser again, sounds like you found a great fitter who did beyond what a certified Edel fitting is.

My Edel putter fitting wasn't as extensive as I did not get any baseline info from SAM putt lab as part of this fitting. That said, the fitting was free as I ended up purchasing an Edel. When I did my fitting they did not have the Torque Balance models so I was fit to a classic head style and I was encouraged to stay away from the pixel insert. I had also done a SAM putt lab at another location previously so I have some good baseline data. I was going to go back and do another SAM putt lab to get a current picture but now that the Evnroll has come out, I will be going to a Cool Clubs to do a putter fitting side by side with my Edel gamer.

Unfortunately, when I picked up the putter I didn't have time to track down the fitter and go through an aim check with the laser again and never made it back as they aren't in town. That said, I can say without a doubt I started making more putts right away and to this day make more 4 to 15 footers than I ever did.

My only complaint is that the fitting put the lines on the flange of the putter but the putter came with the 3 lines on the top of the putter based on how paperwork was filled out. Edel theory (below) says there is a difference but I never tested it again so I don't know whether there was an impact or not. Since I have started practicing rolling putts over a dime at 2' I am assuming its a mute point as I can hit the dime consistently. 

Edel-AIM_5-Line_Bias-960x350_large.png?2

We created a line template as part of our fitting system that allows us to easily test various line arrangements to gauge their aiming ability to you as an individual. The results are incredible. Here is a quick recap:

1. 1. Lines, in general, tend to to make golfers aim left.
  2. 2. The farther back the lines are on the putter, the more they will tend to aim you left
  3. 3. Lines near the top-line influence aim less than those placed nearer the bottom cavity.
  4. 4. An absence of lines tends to create a right aim bias.

I'm not sure that I could putt with any of those putters with lines like that.  I need a line in the center, but the other lines would just be a distraction to me.  I line up a line on a ball with my intended line, then line up the line in the center of the putter to the line on the ball.  Once I do that, I do not look at the ball again; I look at the hole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not sure that I could putt with any of those putters with lines like that.  I need a line in the center, but the other lines would just be a distraction to me.  I line up a line on a ball with my intended line, then line up the line in the center of the putter to the line on the ball.  Once I do that, I do not look at the ball again; I look at the hole.

Then the lines shouldn't be a distraction  :P

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

In the end if you can consistently start the ball on your intended line there is no real reason for an edel fitting. Once you have mastered that skill you can move on to distance control and free reading

Then the lines shouldn't be a distraction  :P

:lol:  You would think!  I really only want the one to line up to the ball.  I suppose I'd get use to the other lines, but why?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

In the end if you can consistently start the ball on your intended line there is no real reason for an edel fitting. Once you have mastered that skill you can move on to distance control and free reading

This is a bit presumptuous.  You might believe that you are starting the ball on your intended target line but do you truly know that for certain?  There are a lot of dynamics in any putter fitting, Edel or otherwise, that could influence your ability to do so consistently - head shape, alignment aids, head weight, grip weight, counterweight, and putter length, for example.  And all of that is before you even get into your actual putting stroke.

Based on my stats I felt like I was a relatively decent putter before I went through the fitting.  The SAM results showed me something quite different, though.  The Edel fitting process showed me even more inconsistency.  So I guess I'd warn anyone from believing that they don't need to go through a fitting simply based on your belief that you are a good putter and are getting the ball on target line consistently.  Maybe you are, and worst case would be that the fitting would reveal that, but I think most will be surprised by what the fitting shows you.  Again, that isn't necessarily specific to Edel but I do think their process reveals broader options.

After you've gone through that process then I agree that dialing in distance control and reading breaks is paramount to becoming a great putter.

This is a bit presumptuous.  You might believe that you are starting the ball on your intended target line but do you truly know that for certain?  There are a lot of dynamics in any putter fitting, Edel or otherwise, that could influence your ability to do so consistently - head shape, alignment aids, head weight, grip weight, counterweight, and putter length, for example.  And all of that is before you even get into your actual putting stroke.

I don't think it is presumptuous.  i have gone through a SAM Fitting so I think I know my stroke pretty well and I know what it takes to start the ball on my intended line consistently and my putting instructor has given me drills to work on that skill.   The items you identified are some of the putters design elements that influence rotation.  Having the correct rotation is critical to starting the ball online.  Edel focuses on fitting for aim and can help you aim perfectly,  but if you don't have the correct rotation the ball can still go right or left.  The big thing I never hear about with Edel is postion at impact.  For example, perfect aim  with insufficient rotation will result in a putt that goes right.   I prefer consistent aim with the putter rotating to the pefect impact position.  

I don't think it is presumptuous.  i have gone through a SAM Fitting so I think I know my stroke pretty well and I know what it takes to start the ball on my intended line consistently and my putting instructor has given me drills to work on that skill.   The items you identified are some of the putters design elements that influence rotation.  Having the correct rotation is critical to starting the ball online.  Edel focuses on fitting for aim and can help you aim perfectly,  but if you don't have the correct rotation the ball can still go right or left.  The big thing I never hear about with Edel is postion at impact.  For example, perfect aim  with insufficient rotation will result in a putt that goes right.   I prefer consistent aim with the putter rotating to the pefect impact position.  

Edel actually have built their Torque Balance Putters specifically to ensure the putter gets back to square at impact, what I'm assuming you are referring to as "rotation" of the putter.

Edel.JPG

Whether you have rotation of the putter itself doesn't really have anything to do with getting the ball on the target line.  Where the ball is positioned at impact and how open/closed the face is will influence direction of the putt.  Everyone has some degree of rotation in the putting stroke, some people rotate the putter more than others.  For example, when I went through my fitting I was rotating to around 2.5 degrees in the backstroke and around the same after impact but I was hitting the ball with the face 0.1 degrees open.  The fitter, who is also a PGA teaching pro, had me move the ball a tad forward in my stance, which helped me get much more square at impact (as revealed by the 2nd round on the SAM machine).  So I wouldn't say that rotation was the issue so much as ball position and I think that holds true to a lot of folks.

Even if you aren't getting fit for a putter I would say that a SAM fitting can reveal a lot about your stroke, tempo, arc, etc. and can help you make adjustments as necessary to get more consistent.

We will have to disagree about rotation.

You essentially fit your stroke and setup to match the putter and its rotation.

I was taught to setup to see the correct line and fit the putter to me. In my case instead of changing ball position and potentially how I see the putt i would Change putters to one that would end up being 0.1 degrees more closed at impact.

Two approaches and both can work. As a player you just have to determine if it is easier to change putters or change you stroke to match a putter.

Well, without taking sides, I find both POVs provided some interesting insights .. going for a full bag fitting tmrw so now have even more putter fitting questions!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Well, without taking sides, I find both POVs provided some interesting insights .. going for a full bag fitting tmrw so now have even more putter fitting questions!

Let us know what you find out.

Talked to Edel Golf this morning, as my putter hasn't shipped yet.  Apparently the round grip I ordered is on back-order so my putter is just sitting in the shop.  They offered to put a big dog grip on it and ship it today and then send me a round grip when the next batch comes in.  I agreed to that, as I'm playing golf in Florida in 2 weeks and don't currently have a putter in my bag.  Hopefully I'll have this bad boy early next week (fingers crossed).

Archived