TESTERS WANTED! ×

Favorite non-major to watch

JudgeSmails

Waste Management is definitely one of the most fun tourneys to watch.   What other non-majors are your favorites to tune into?

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Agree on Waste Management.  I'll throw in The Players, Pebble Beach and the WGC events.  

Other than that it's going to depend on the field.  If a bunch of the top guys are in then it's usually more interesting.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The 16th at WM is definitely must see TV (as far as the stodgy golf tourneys go)

Players is as close to a 5th major as it comes.

Optically, Pebble is certainly at the top of the list.

Bay Hill, and the Heritage at Harbour Town are both up there.

Really liking the Greenbrier in WVa the last few years.

Although... what drives me INSANE is the plethora of commercials.  Drive-putt-putt-commercial-drive-iron shot-chip-putt-commercial...

I get it, it's not cheap, but if the average is a commercial every 3 shots it really is frustrating.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I personally enjoy the few match play events and then add on the Ryder and Presidents cups. On the LPGA side it is Solheim, International, and Kingsmill Championship ( volunteer at Kingsmill).

Love the head to head competition the gamesmanship, the emotion, and that they are just different than the week in and week out stroke play events.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Tournament Players Championship. Lot's of action there over the years

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I enjoy the match play event and the players.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Most of you guys have already mentioned some of the events I enjoy too. But in my other category includes the men's and women's College and Amateur championships that are on Fox Sports and the Golf Channel. Really good stuff IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Love Kapalua. That's when the season starts, I don't care what they say. Gets me pumped to play.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I'm going to say The Memorial Tournament. It's an invitational and you could get most of the top golfers and possibly some great competition.

But, getting away from the pros, I like the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship. I like watching the celebs. Especially, the non athlete's. Makes me believe I can be good one day.

If only I had Charles Barkley's swing. I'd be golden.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

i really enjoy any tourney where the winning score isnt -20 or something like that, like seeing them have to grind it out

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I used to really like the tournament (I forget it's name) that used the modified stableford scoring- all glory, no worry!

Also love match play events.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

The waste Management is a fun tourney, but the best non major tournament to watch is definately the Players, the biggest reason is the field, everyone is there, so you are getting the best in the world, at a really tough course.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I like to watch them all, particularly when several of the big dogs are dueling down the couple of fairways.  However, my favorites are tourneys on courses that I have played.  It's nice to watch them play and when I remember the holes.  Courses that I have played and I have watched the pros are:

TPC Scottsdale - I've played the WMPO course 5 times; played the last 4 holes at -1 the year Tiger got that hole-in-one.

TPC Summerlin - Las Vegas

Dove Mountain - WGC Match Play a couple of years ago.

Torrey Pines North Course

Kapalua Plantation Course

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Made in Denmark on ET. If you can - watch some European tournaments. Lots of talent and the occasional superstar.

267513_LWTHUMB.jpg

I do have to say that some of the Euro tourneys are exciting.  That Irish open last year when Rory won it on the last 3 holes was cool.

Although... it is a bit interesting that they allow signs in the ground at the tournament.  Like little billboards.

Here's a pic... you can see the signs near the green on the right; what happens if the ball hits the sign?

346DBFBD00000578-3601851-image-m-27_1463

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

This might not be the intent of this question but I like watching the Ryder cup and Presidents cup.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Waste Management is one of my favorites, but also enjoy The Memorial. Bay Hill is great!

The Ryder and Solheim Cups are great as well!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Ryder Cup would be the most obvious.  I also enjoy Quail Hollow in Charlotte.  I have had the privilege of playing he course once, been to the tournament on several occasions and my brother lives nearby.  It's a very interesting feeling to have an intimate knowledge of the course while watching the best players in the world play.  

Ryder Cup would be the most obvious. I also enjoy Quail Hollow in Charlotte. I have had the privilege of playing he course once, been to the tournament on several occasions and my brother lives nearby. It's a very interesting feeling to have an intimate knowledge of the course while watching the best players in the world play.

I've been to the Wells Fargo 3 of the last 4 years. I really like the course, and living 10 miles away is a bonus. I didn't get tickets to the PGA in August, I may regret that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Waste Management is definitely one of the most fun tourneys to watch. What other non-majors are your favorites to tune into?

While I agree television coverage of the Waste Management is exciting, being on property that week will make you weep for the future. The crowd is overwhelmingly inebriated ASU kids sporting their pressed pastels and endlessly maligning one another. I have never had a worse experience at a professional tourney. When volunteers raise the "quiet please" sign, the kids take it as their cue to make some effing noise...on every hole. The only part of the week I actually enjoyed in '14 was unknowingly flirting with Ricky Fowler's GF at the Weezer concert. Well, fun until he showed anyway.

But on to the actual question, I like all the venues with high drama closing stretches; Torrey Pines, Doral, Bay Hill, TPC Sawgrass, the prudently re-routed East Lake.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• 4 weeks later...

The Players followed by any World Golf Event. All have stronger fields than the Majors particularly the Masters.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Majors, but there are traditions surrounding the Masters and PGA that put people in who have no chance of winning. The Opens are just that so I have no issue with guys entering and playing their way in.

The weakness of the Masters field is a joke. And yet the course, the timing and the fact that it really is a top 50 only event almost always insures that big names are in contention so it works.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

i really enjoy any tourney where the winning score isnt -20 or something like that, like seeing them have to grind it out

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I tend to like this too. Harbour Town is one of my favorites for this reason. Tight and trees and some small greens and when someone lights it up they are on for sure. Watching the Honda a friend called me and said, " what you said its true, these guy play rip it and chase it ". Sure seemed like way more balls in the water than usual but couldnt find any long term stats to bear that out. Driver first and worry about the second when you get there has proven statistically to work for these guys, and sure pay the bills.

Favorite Major? British Open for me.

The Fed Ex Championship would be my favorite outside of the Masters.   I also enjoy the Players and Honda Classic.    I've played PGA National twice so I love watching the Honda Classic as I can relate to places on that course.    Especially the Bear Trap :wacko: 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

"The weakness of the Masters field is a joke. And yet the course, the timing and the fact that it really is a top 50 only event almost always insures that big names are in contention so it works."

Well said.

The Masters and others like it make managing club golf a SOB at times.

Augusta is or at least was closed 4-6 weeks before the tournament and guys come in from all over the country to volunteer their time to help prep it. Basically it gets a complete spruce up every year. Not that it needs much probably but when its on the tube there isnt a blade of grass that hasnt been fussed over, or a pine needle that hasnt been scrutinized. 50 supers there rubbing elbows will do that and good on em. So watching it for the trick pony it was and then seeing members get 11++ greens and then melt down was the yearly norm. Oakmont is the best of the best for my 2 cents. Of course if you can approach and putt fast greens on a regular basis golf is a whole different game, really as good as it gets, and sets the best apart.

The Colonial might be my favorite, other than that it's the memorial.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I like this thread - great call on the world match play. I don't know why I forgot about that one.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me, it's the Ryder Cup. I like that it means a little something more to the pros. USA! USA!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Definitely The Players and Waste Management; Love the two Hawaii events just for the scenery.  Any match play I can watch is always fascinating.  Really looking forward to the Zurich Classic to see if the team format will produce anything exciting.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived