JudgeSmails

Favorite non-major to watch

Waste Management is definitely one of the most fun tourneys to watch.   What other non-majors are your favorites to tune into?

• Like 2

Agree on Waste Management.  I'll throw in The Players, Pebble Beach and the WGC events.  

Other than that it's going to depend on the field.  If a bunch of the top guys are in then it's usually more interesting.

• Like 1

The 16th at WM is definitely must see TV (as far as the stodgy golf tourneys go)

Players is as close to a 5th major as it comes.

Optically, Pebble is certainly at the top of the list.

Bay Hill, and the Heritage at Harbour Town are both up there.

Really liking the Greenbrier in WVa the last few years.

Although... what drives me INSANE is the plethora of commercials.  Drive-putt-putt-commercial-drive-iron shot-chip-putt-commercial...

I get it, it's not cheap, but if the average is a commercial every 3 shots it really is frustrating.

• Like 3

I personally enjoy the few match play events and then add on the Ryder and Presidents cups. On the LPGA side it is Solheim, International, and Kingsmill Championship ( volunteer at Kingsmill).

Love the head to head competition the gamesmanship, the emotion, and that they are just different than the week in and week out stroke play events.

• Like 3

Most of you guys have already mentioned some of the events I enjoy too. But in my other category includes the men's and women's College and Amateur championships that are on Fox Sports and the Golf Channel. Really good stuff IMO.

• Like 3

Love Kapalua. That's when the season starts, I don't care what they say. Gets me pumped to play.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'm going to say The Memorial Tournament. It's an invitational and you could get most of the top golfers and possibly some great competition.

But, getting away from the pros, I like the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship. I like watching the celebs. Especially, the non athlete's. Makes me believe I can be good one day.

If only I had Charles Barkley's swing. I'd be golden.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

i really enjoy any tourney where the winning score isnt -20 or something like that, like seeing them have to grind it out

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

I used to really like the tournament (I forget it's name) that used the modified stableford scoring- all glory, no worry!

Also love match play events.

The waste Management is a fun tourney, but the best non major tournament to watch is definately the Players, the biggest reason is the field, everyone is there, so you are getting the best in the world, at a really tough course.

I like to watch them all, particularly when several of the big dogs are dueling down the couple of fairways.  However, my favorites are tourneys on courses that I have played.  It's nice to watch them play and when I remember the holes.  Courses that I have played and I have watched the pros are:

TPC Scottsdale - I've played the WMPO course 5 times; played the last 4 holes at -1 the year Tiger got that hole-in-one.

TPC Summerlin - Las Vegas

Dove Mountain - WGC Match Play a couple of years ago.

Torrey Pines North Course

Kapalua Plantation Course

Made in Denmark on ET. If you can - watch some European tournaments. Lots of talent and the occasional superstar.

267513_LWTHUMB.jpg

• Like 3

Made in Denmark on ET. If you can - watch some European tournaments. Lots of talent and the occasional superstar.

267513_LWTHUMB.jpg

I do have to say that some of the Euro tourneys are exciting.  That Irish open last year when Rory won it on the last 3 holes was cool.

Although... it is a bit interesting that they allow signs in the ground at the tournament.  Like little billboards.

Here's a pic... you can see the signs near the green on the right; what happens if the ball hits the sign?

346DBFBD00000578-3601851-image-m-27_1463

This might not be the intent of this question but I like watching the Ryder cup and Presidents cup.

• Like 1

Waste Management is one of my favorites, but also enjoy The Memorial. Bay Hill is great!

The Ryder and Solheim Cups are great as well!

• Like 2

Ryder Cup would be the most obvious.  I also enjoy Quail Hollow in Charlotte.  I have had the privilege of playing he course once, been to the tournament on several occasions and my brother lives nearby.  It's a very interesting feeling to have an intimate knowledge of the course while watching the best players in the world play.  

Ryder Cup would be the most obvious. I also enjoy Quail Hollow in Charlotte. I have had the privilege of playing he course once, been to the tournament on several occasions and my brother lives nearby. It's a very interesting feeling to have an intimate knowledge of the course while watching the best players in the world play.

I've been to the Wells Fargo 3 of the last 4 years. I really like the course, and living 10 miles away is a bonus. I didn't get tickets to the PGA in August, I may regret that.

• Like 1