Favorite non-major to watch

Our Sponsors

Waste Management is definitely one of the most fun tourneys to watch. What other non-majors are your favorites to tune into?

While I agree television coverage of the Waste Management is exciting, being on property that week will make you weep for the future. The crowd is overwhelmingly inebriated ASU kids sporting their pressed pastels and endlessly maligning one another. I have never had a worse experience at a professional tourney. When volunteers raise the "quiet please" sign, the kids take it as their cue to make some effing noise...on every hole. The only part of the week I actually enjoyed in '14 was unknowingly flirting with Ricky Fowler's GF at the Weezer concert. Well, fun until he showed anyway.

But on to the actual question, I like all the venues with high drama closing stretches; Torrey Pines, Doral, Bay Hill, TPC Sawgrass, the prudently re-routed East Lake.

• Like 3

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While I agree television coverage of the Waste Management is exciting, being on property that week will make you weep for the future. The crowd is overwhelmingly inebriated ASU kids sporting their pre

The 16th at WM is definitely must see TV (as far as the stodgy golf tourneys go)   Players is as close to a 5th major as it comes.   Optically, Pebble is certainly at the top of the list. Bay Hil

I personally enjoy the few match play events and then add on the Ryder and Presidents cups. On the LPGA side it is Solheim, International, and Kingsmill Championship ( volunteer at Kingsmill).   Lo

The Players followed by any World Golf Event. All have stronger fields than the Majors particularly the Masters.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Majors, but there are traditions surrounding the Masters and PGA that put people in who have no chance of winning. The Opens are just that so I have no issue with guys entering and playing their way in.

The weakness of the Masters field is a joke. And yet the course, the timing and the fact that it really is a top 50 only event almost always insures that big names are in contention so it works.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

i really enjoy any tourney where the winning score isnt -20 or something like that, like seeing them have to grind it out

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I tend to like this too. Harbour Town is one of my favorites for this reason. Tight and trees and some small greens and when someone lights it up they are on for sure. Watching the Honda a friend called me and said, " what you said its true, these guy play rip it and chase it ". Sure seemed like way more balls in the water than usual but couldnt find any long term stats to bear that out. Driver first and worry about the second when you get there has proven statistically to work for these guys, and sure pay the bills.

Favorite Major? British Open for me.

• Like 2

The Fed Ex Championship would be my favorite outside of the Masters.   I also enjoy the Players and Honda Classic.    I've played PGA National twice so I love watching the Honda Classic as I can relate to places on that course.    Especially the Bear Trap :wacko: 

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree

Putters:
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Big Seven Arm Lock Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 10.5C Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 11 Putter

Utility club:  Square Strike Wedge 45 degree
aka pocket picker

"The weakness of the Masters field is a joke. And yet the course, the timing and the fact that it really is a top 50 only event almost always insures that big names are in contention so it works."

Well said.

The Masters and others like it make managing club golf a SOB at times.

Augusta is or at least was closed 4-6 weeks before the tournament and guys come in from all over the country to volunteer their time to help prep it. Basically it gets a complete spruce up every year. Not that it needs much probably but when its on the tube there isnt a blade of grass that hasnt been fussed over, or a pine needle that hasnt been scrutinized. 50 supers there rubbing elbows will do that and good on em. So watching it for the trick pony it was and then seeing members get 11++ greens and then melt down was the yearly norm. Oakmont is the best of the best for my 2 cents. Of course if you can approach and putt fast greens on a regular basis golf is a whole different game, really as good as it gets, and sets the best apart.

• Like 1

The Colonial might be my favorite, other than that it's the memorial.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester and Proud Owner

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

I like this thread - great call on the world match play. I don't know why I forgot about that one.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

For me, it's the Ryder Cup. I like that it means a little something more to the pros. USA! USA!

• Like 3

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Definitely The Players and Waste Management; Love the two Hawaii events just for the scenery.  Any match play I can watch is always fascinating.  Really looking forward to the Zurich Classic to see if the team format will produce anything exciting.

• Like 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Scottish open for me. Love watching the pros play it out on a links course.

WITB

Titleist 913 D3 Grafalloy blue 2013 stiff shaft
Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft 
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff 
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110

Rife 460 Tour Blade/Odyssey White Ice No. 7

Handicap - 18.1

Home club
 - www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/

The Players followed by any World Golf Event. All have stronger fields than the Majors particularly the Masters.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Majors, but there are traditions surrounding the Masters and PGA that put people in who have no chance of winning. The Opens are just that so I have no issue with guys entering and playing their way in.

The weakness of the Masters field is a joke. And yet the course, the timing and the fact that it really is a top 50 only event almost always insures that big names are in contention so it works.

I think you're being a tad rough on the Masters Tournament Selection Committee. The Masters "works" because of time honored traditions. Are the accomplished amateur champion bids honoring Jones' heritage the joke? Perhaps lifetime past champions exemption scenarios like Bernhard Langer making a run last year or Freddie continually defying all logic, are some of the weak things you'd prefer to see voted off in committee? They also invite a contingent of world ranked international pros and amateurs alike simply to help grow the game in those parts of the world. Augusta National opens their doors to Drive, Chip & Putt in the days leading up to a major championship. Heck, they even admit children for free with adult pass holders during tournament week. These are the reasons I believe the Masters works. It's not scheduling or predictable back nine celebrity on Sunday, rather their legacy of sprinkling magic dust on the game to inspire future stewards.

Regarding PGA strength of field, I seem to recall virtually every single champion referencing the feeling of accomplishment they derived from knowing they bested one of the strongest fields in golf. Are all those guys just satisfying some requisite outlined in their media relations guide?

• Like 2

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

Forgot about the Amateur. That's one of my can't-miss tournaments. Match play too!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I will respectfully disagree on the Masters. You can look it up. Its strength of field is annually middle of the pack at best. Not what one would expect from a major. The top is there but cleared out are those middling guys who are capable of winning any tournament on any week.

No one thinks more highly of Bernard Langer than I. He is one of the most under rated players of all time. But he's not winning a major at his age and he was hardly the weakest player in that field. Majors are four rounds not three and nice Saturday stories quickly fade away. There are a number of people capable of winning the Masters who are capable of winning that are left out in favor of people who are not capable of it.

Clearly the Masters works, I enjoy it, it's a great course and they aren't going to change for anyone or anything. But that doesn't make the tournament above reproach. Its a diminished field.

While I referenced it you are correct that the PGA has a strong field. The inclusion of club pros weakens it a bit putting it behind the Players and WGC events in terms of strength. 20 plus years ago that was no big deal but today it is. Fields are so deep today that there are deserving players being left out who could win. Club pros can't. Honor them some other way.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Respectfully, nowhere in my prior post did I argue the strength of the Masters field, rather I focused on my feeling that the material decisions the committee makes to concurrently honor amateur golf and grow the game both internationally and with young people are the things that make it so special and would therefore not personally characterize the list of invitees as a "joke". Sacrificing those traditions in favor of a stronger field would in my humble opinion be a net negative for golf in general.

• Like 2

I wouldn't read too much into the Masters so-called "traditions" - they are the youngest major by any margin and the "traditions" are so contrived and manufactured, they almost seem like a youngest child screaming for their parents attention. The Masters has the least right to claim "tradition", but has every right to uphold what it sees as a golf tournament to suit it's own needs. Par 3 contests, honorary starters, butler cabins, crystal glasses, Green Jackets, Azaleas and all, TV was the Masters biggest saviour. Bear in mind that other "open" major tournaments were a big deal and a crowd pleaser long before the closed shop and fake exclusivity of the Masters ever gained any traction with the public. It wasn't that long ago either that the TV rights to show the tournament were actually allowed to transmit a full 18 holes of golf - I was in my 20's before I even saw the front 9 on TV. The Masters recipe of an air of mystique gradually gave way to full coverage to save it from going into decline - not just for golf fans but for players who wanted or demanded more exposure, because the field was so limited. 

• Like 1

Has to be the Players...such a strong field and usually a great finish.  I will add that the Masters is about elitism and the good ole boys being in charge.  Whether you like that or not this age is passing in golf.  I can remember when Lee Trevino changed his shoes in the parking lot and would not go into the club house or locker room.  I love the tourney and the course, but that day is changing...

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

It's for sure a homer pick for me as I'm usually at the tournament most years and I've been lucky enough to play the course a few times but the Memorial is always fun. Tough course and usually a strong field.

• Like 1

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Respectfully, nowhere in my prior post did I argue the strength of the Masters field, rather I focused on my feeling that the material decisions the committee makes to concurrently honor amateur golf and grow the game both internationally and with young people are the things that make it so special and would therefore not personally characterize the list of invitees as a "joke". Sacrificing those traditions in favor of a stronger field would in my humble opinion be a net negative for golf in general.

I will still disagree because it's a major. IMO majors should include the best players in the world or in the case of the Opens those who have gone through a rigorous process to qualify.

The Masters does not while hiding behind it's shield of Tradition and self defined importance. Since it counts as a major and is played on an incredible golf course it gets away with it. Bully for them.

However while I love the Masters I would argue that it does more to deter the growth of the game than to foster it. What those of us see as Tradition and time Honored outsiders see differently.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5