Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Srixon Makes Noise in Phoenix

GolfSpy Barbajo

From the InBox this morning...

Exciting news for us at the PGA TOUR Waste Management Phoenix Open this weekend: the top 3 Srixon staffers currently in the field are all gaming a new fifth-generation Z-STAR Series golf ball:

Hideki Matsuyama, Srixon Z-STAR XV Pure White

William McGirt, Srixon Z-STAR Pure White

J.J. Spaun, Srixon Z-STAR Pure White

Matsuyama has been playing the new XV model since 2016. McGirt switched into the new Z-STAR model at the end of the season along with Spaun, one of the newest Srixon tour staffers.

Also, both Matsuyama and Spaun are playing new Srixon Z65 Series irons. Read on for their set specs.

To begin the final round:

Matsuyama has led the field in Strokes Gained: Approach to the Green (6.88 SG), a strong testament to the high performance and consistency of the new Srixon Z-STAR XV. He is playing Srixon Z 965 irons, 4-PW, with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts.

William McGirt is tied for third in Greens in Regulation with 83.33% of greens hit (45/54).

J.J. Spaun is having another solid week off the strength of gaining entry from last week's Top 10 at Torrey Pines. He is tied for 11th in Greens in Regulation, tied for 13th in Driving Accuracy and tied for 14th in Putts per Green in Regulation. Spaun is one of many Srixon staffers using a combo set of two different iron models. He is using the muscle-cavity Z 765 in 3 and 4 irons, and the muscle-back blade Z 965 in 5-PW, with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 shafts.

Here is a quick anecdote from Michael Jolly on J.J. Spaun and his equipment:

"Over the last several weeks, we have gone through the process of really dialing in J.J.'s irons. This offseason, while we were attempting to sign J.J., he was sent product for testing and immediately loved it. He basically began playing everything -- irons, wedges and golf ball -- almost immediately.

However, in club fitting it is almost never as easy as going spec for spec when changing from one model or manufacturer to another. After Sony, J.J. felt like he could be hitting his numbers, flights and shapes a little better than he was doing.

We got the chance to do some really good work out of tour trailer with J.J. at the CareerBuilder. With some trial and error and a couple of loft and lie adjustments, he was dialed. His play the last two weeks has certainly backed that up!"

One quick note: with 13 pieces in play, Srixon ranks as having the #1 utility iron on the PGA TOUR this week.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great read, thanks.

Srixon is bringing it that's for sure.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

That's interesting. If I may... earlier I posted a vid by Callaway (bare with me a sec) describing all the stuff they do and have on tour inside their Tour fitting Truck. The guy in the vid at one point opened a couple of drawers showing balls they keep on hand for their players. Of what the guy showed us there was only one stock/retail box of Chrome Soft. All the others were spec balls made just for various Callaway players. My impression was that most of them are not playing a OTR ball. Perhaps only in name but not composition. These balls were all individually boxed and labeled for a particular player.

Ok... back to Srixon. Sorry.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hideki Matsuyama WITB:

Ball: NEW Srixon Z-STAR XV, fifth-generation model

Irons: NEW Srixon Z 965 irons (4-PW) with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Precision Forged wedges (52°, 56°, 60°) with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts

Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha (9.0°) with Graphite Design DI-8 TX

FW: TaylorMade 2017 M2 3-wood with Graphite Design DI-9 TX

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 2-hybrid (18.0°) with Graphite Design DI-115 Hybrid X

Putter: Scotty Cameron Timeless

Srixon staff bag, glove and apparel

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

He needed that birdie on 17! Do love me some Srixon though!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I'm hoping our American Web Simpson will win this thing!!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hideki is hot right now and love that he uses Srixon/Cleveland irons and balls. He's on fire!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I'm betting on Srixon to be the clubhouse leader in "2017 irons of the year"...

Hideki is on an incredible hot streak!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty much a fanboy when it comes to srixon/cleveland. Last year got the 745 irons and hit my best round to date, front-37, back-39 par-71,(front plays 35). Of course I was hitting the pure white z-star ball, best ball I've played for my game, and won't go back. Can't wait for the New York winter to end so I can hit the course, and try the 2017 balls! #teamsrixon #teamcleveland

RossCJohnson

Archived