TESTERS WANTED! ×

Thoughts on Crossfield?

Sschaffer24

I'm sure most of you guys are familiar with Mark and what he does and most people seem to take a pretty strong stance on guys like him, but I'm curious what the consensus is here in the community?

I, myself, love the guy. I love what he stands for, how he presents the clubs and himself and just the overall personality/way he goes about his business. Out of all of the YouTube guys he is the most MGS feeling to me. Very much on his own two feet and not afraid to call someone out. I was a bit disappointed to see him connect with WRX and hoped there was a shot we could work with him in sponsorship (not that I have anything to do with it, just as an outside observer) but still love his content nonetheless.

So what do you guys think? I can't stand meandmygolf and Shiels is decent. I'm a subscriber and like his take on things, but overall he just doesn't bring the same kind of personality and fire that Mark does.

It's amazing that I've been following the guy for so long. Really cool to see him grow like he has!

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I like him and Shiels both......don't see a lot of bias out of them, of course, you probably could have said that about Hank Haney at one point  :D

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I think the traditional breed of media personality is totally different with these YouTube guys though. I could be wrong, but Hank and Shiels/Crossfield have had a totally different path to get where they are.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Has Mark sold his soul to Callaway?  Seems to be a lot of Callaway branding in his vids now.

I've been watching him for about 3 years and when he started it was great.  VERY independent and great stuff; but lately it seems that sponsors are stepping in and - maybe - controlling the narrative?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

... As someone that reviews clubs for over 20 years now, I can assure you it is easy to fall in love with an OEM when they are making great products. It can seem to an outside observer that all of a sudden you have been bought by an OEM, but truth is they are just making clubs that fit your game, your eye and they really perform for you. 

... I think Mark talks too much about stuff irrelevant to the review. I like to fast forward thru his reviews but usually like what he has to say about any given product. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I don't have a problem with MeandMygolf guys because they aren't out to do equipment reviews but swing aid and analysis. Good for them to be sponsored by Taylormade. I like Rick Shiels a lot and I think he is trustworthy. Also the quality of Vlogs of him and Peter Finch have no equal on YouTube in my opinion. To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

... As someone that reviews clubs fir over 20 years now, I can assure you it is easy to fall in love with an OEM when they are making great products. It can seem to an outside observer that al of a sudden you have been bought by an OEM, but truth is they are just making clubs that fit your game, your eye and they really perform for you.

... I think Mark talks too much about stuff irrelevant to the review. I like to fast forward thru his reviews but usually like what he has to say about any given product.

Completely agree. When TM was busting out some great new tech, Parfield was bagging them. Now with Cally making a great ball, driver wedges he has gamed those. All the stuff he games is backed by his testing (it's why he switched back to blades for more predictable yardage vs GI clubs). He of course, and he admits as much, has a soft spot for mizuno irons.

I like Mark for his golf lessons and thoughts on the swing, but his equipment reviews not so much.

Everyone has an opinion I guess, but I've yet to see him (or anyone else for that matter) give a really critical review of anything. He's either completely gushing about a product or completely on the fence. I somehow doubt that the OEM's would be sending him much new gear if he really were to speak his mind on occasion though - and the same could apply to some forums too. I've said it many times before, but if you really want to know about a product, try it for yourself.

For the meantime though, keep up with the videos Mark. Just don't take off your hat too often though - it tends to scare the children.

I can see where people come from in saying they think he doesn't really criticize clubs much. As a viewer of his for 7 or so years I've seen a lot of what he has to say. My perspective is though that when a club doesn't fit him, he purposely rides the fence because he understands that he doesn't represent every golfer and there is a segment of the viewing population that this club would fit. I think he does a good job of representing that for those clubs.

The overall perspective of his videos then shifts to him not speaking negative, although if we are looking at things objectively, who is building a truly "bad" club? They are all designed for a purpose and inevitably some of those won't fit his playing style. Doesn't mean he has to bash it. They just aren't for him.

I also believe that when it comes to products that he isn't afraid to game the absolute best fit for him period. That case can be shown on full display with the SLDR that he bagged. He ragged on TM and that club for a long time, but once he was properly fit it went in the bag and was there for quite awhile.

Just my two cents and I might be biased, but I think he is pretty objective.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Has Mark sold his soul to Callaway?  Seems to be a lot of Callaway branding in his vids now.

I've been watching him for about 3 years and when he started it was great.  VERY independent and great stuff; but lately it seems that sponsors are stepping in and - maybe - controlling the narrative?

You can bet the farm on this and BTW you are correct--- If it is involved with WRX it will be heavily sponsor oriented. He gets roasted over there from time to time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I enjoy watching both Crossfield and Shiels--probably Shiels more because he is more personable and is more willing to say if he really likes something. I believe Shiels is sponsored by Nike now but shouldn't be a problem since they are out of the equipment business.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

He needs to get his own hat brand. I get tired of staring at that FJ hat.

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I love how mark and rick s. try to inform their followers that it is the indian not the arrow. Strike is king not how much your equipment costs or what marketing tries to tell you.

Taylormade M1

Titleist 816 H1

Titleist 916 AP1 4-GW

52,56,60 Vokey Wedges

64 Mack Daddy PM Grind Wedge

Ping Ketsch mid putter

Titleist deluxe cart bag

TecTecTec range finder

CaddyTek EZ-Fold 3 Wheel Golf Push Cart

Country Club Elite® Hitting Strip 10"x30"

Rukket Haack Golf Net By SEC Coach Chris Haack 10 X 7ft

I really enjoy Crossfield. He cracks me up!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

The only product reviews I trust right now are from MSG. When I watch YouTube, I watch Rick and Peter just playing each other at some nice courses. They are fun and entertaining. Especially the 2nd hand club challenge.

They have inspired me to start my vlog series called High Handicappers golf.... 'You don't have to be great to have fun and hit nice shots, every once in awhile'.

Hoping to debut in the spring. Just need to find fairly priced video equipment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I enjoy watching Crossfield, he adds an element to his reviews and his VLOGS that have been absent in this game.......... GOLF IS SUPPOSE TO BE FUN....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I'm a bit opposite of you Shawn. I really like Shiels a lot and think Crossfield is only ok. Maybe I need to watch more of him.

While I can't relate to Shiels swing it swingspeed, I just like the way he express his feedback. Seems very genuine and not overhyped.

His recent review of the Vertical Grooves driver was very good and upfront about saying he didn't see any benefit from it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

To each their own Carolina.

I just love that he brings an element of FUN to the game as Hula eluded to, and also that he doesn't seem afraid to say what's on his mind. Just a cool perspective to have.

Shiels does a great job as well. I think he's more... traditional and less likely to speak out than Mark would be (maybe not in reviews, but on twitter, etc).

For example when Mark didn't receive the M1 or an invite he fired back to TaylorMade with videos and was very blunt in why he felt that was happening. Was cool to see him call them out.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

That's actually a great point Dave. I'm with you on that being a plus for me with Mark.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

To each their own Carolina.

I just love that he brings an element of FUN to the game as Hula eluded to, and also that he doesn't seem afraid to say what's on his mind. Just a cool perspective to have.

Shiels does a great job as well. I think he's more... traditional and less likely to speak out than Mark would be (maybe not in reviews, but on twitter, etc).

For example when Mark didn't receive the M1 or an invite he fired back to TaylorMade with videos and was very blunt in why he felt that was happening. Was cool to see him call them out.

Exactly if we all liked the exact same thing, then well that would be quite boring and make for very limited internet discussion wouldn't it...ha

I don't mean to slight Mark in any way, and perhaps I have.  As I said, I need to listen to him a bit more.  It's just that my internet time has been so limited the past month as it's been crazy busy at work. Which has kept me off MGS more than I would have liked the past month or so.  :(

Matter of fact I've got a video on pause on Youtube of a guy from his experience at Callaway fitting in EU and I haven't had time to go finish it...LOL

I love Mark. I am bummed that Buzza had to go off and move to Thailand as he provided so much comedic gold for Mark. To go off on a bit of a tangent...The fact that Callaway allows Lockey to play their equipment is pretty incredible...considering how bad he can play

I watch Crossfield from time to time. He seems decent to me. But for something a little different check out Videojug. His delivery and mannerisms are entertaining. 

Here's one to whet the appetite. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Jc6hks0yI

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Exactly if we all liked the exact same thing, then well that would be quite boring and make for very limited internet discussion wouldn't it...ha

I don't mean to slight Mark in any way, and perhaps I have. As I said, I need to listen to him a bit more. It's just that my internet time has been so limited the past month as it's been crazy busy at work. Which has kept me off MGS more than I would have liked the past month or so. :(

Matter of fact I've got a video on pause on Youtube of a guy from his experience at Callaway fitting in EU and I haven't had time to go finish it...LOL

Totally makes sense and thats similar to my situation with other guys on YouTube. I can't speak to their overall persona/body of work because I'm not as fluent in it.

I will say one universal trait that they seem to have and I really enjoy is they don't seem to call each other out our challenge one another much. You would expect there would be some bashing/lines in the sand drawn on quality and differences between these guys and they all seem to keep it very professional.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I love Mark. I am bummed that Buzza had to go off and move to Thailand as he provided so much comedic gold for Mark. To go off on a bit of a tangent...The fact that Callaway allows Lockey to play their equipment is pretty incredible...considering how bad he can play

This is a great point. Myself I think it speaks volumes for Callaway doing that because I honestly think they realize these guys are out there to have fun and be a personality (who is also educated) that can drive the content. Having someone back that is cool.

I think that type of things gains more Callaway followers than some of the lower tier tour guys do. Maybe even some higher end guys. They're just normal people which makes the content really approachable.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I will say one universal trait that they seem to have and I really enjoy is they don't seem to call each other out our challenge one another much. You would expect there would be some bashing/lines in the sand drawn on quality and differences between these guys and they all seem to keep it very professional.

This part is so spot on.  I actually saw a post from Shiels  this morning on Instagram that was responding to someone who asked who is the one best person to watch on youtube videos for club information.   Rick responded with why limit yourself to just one person, there are so many great guys out there doing it.   I thought that was pretty cool to say. 

I enjoy watching both Rick and Mark play out on the course to see how they make their way around.  I've come to find out that there is quite the difference between the simulator and putting it into practice!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• 4 months later...

Mark is a very outgoing and has a bubbly personality! I like him! Rick and Peter finch are nice as well, I tend to catch myself forwarding through the small talk a lot and just like to see the shots and stuff. MeandMygolf don't really help me a lot to watch since it's mostly instructional stuff! Golfholics is a nice one if you have need seen them, they are super cool guys with amazing editing! They also play some really nice courses. They make you want to go out and play golf again! If you haven't seen them it's definitely worth checking out!

Archived