TESTERS WANTED! ×

AXIS putter - any play one?

boilerron

• SPY VIP

I have thoroughly reviewed this putter and if you can get past the looks it is one of the most stable putters throughout the stroke I have felt. The concept works great although I think the look could be improved and the price as well since it is cast. A little expensive for a cast putter. But they are catching on overseas.

Has anyone out there actually played one of these new putters?

I must admit I find them very tempting....

boilerron

#TruthDigest

• 5 months later...

I also object to the price. I like to try new things, but $300 is a stretch.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I can honestly say that the Axis1 putter is extremely well made, and delivers on it's promises of greater stability through the putting stroke. It also give great feedback both to the hands, and the sound. Yeah, we can all agree it is a bit pricey, but since they aren't targeting the mass market, it is a premium product, it delivers on value if you are serious about your game.

I also object to the price. I like to try new things, but $300 is a stretch.

Tyk, As an eight handicapper, you know the difficulty of improving at this level of golf. If one club could cut one or two strokes off that handicap, wouldn't $300 be a bargain? They allow you 30 days to return it, so you only lose shipping. If this was July 31st instead of August 31st, I would have one by now.

Tyk, As an eight handicapper, you know the difficulty of improving at this level of golf. If one club could cut one or two strokes off that handicap, wouldn't $300 be a bargain? They allow you 30 days to return it, so you only lose shipping. If this was July 31st instead of August 31st, I would have one by now.

Whether you spend $20, $60, $100 or $1,000 it won't do squat for you unless it's fitted. And no, $300 isn't a "bargain"- not in my eyes, at least. Sadly, you can't buy a game (if that were true, why do so many people buy $300+ drivers every year and still fight a slice?)... but practice and properly fit equipment will get your scores where you want them to be.

Just a thought, but hasn't anyone seen those extra fancy golf clubs (can't remember who makes them, but they've been showcased in Golf Digest and Golf Magazine before), with the real gold and jewels ornating them? They're in the thousands to tens of thousands of dollars. If price equals better, shouldn't these be the cream of the crop- even better than the Nikes, Titleists, Camerons and the like? Based on most people's line of thinking, they should be.

Phana: in some ways, you're right. But in others, I completely disagree. First thing: I don't have a single $300 club in my bag, not one. The most expensive club I have is my $200 Adams Superhybrid, which is the first club I've EVER paid full price for right after it was released, and let me tell you, it was an ordeal to get myself to pay "full price". The only reason I did is because I needed a hybrid and I had the chance to hit it several times and loved it. I would have never bought it without hitting it.

And I fully support Axis' right to charge whatever the market will bear for thier product. What I mostly object to is the "David and Goliath" story they're peddling. The story about how hard it is to break into the golf market, etc. As I said on the blog, I was convinced, I was ready to buy. I was expecting a $125-$175 price tag, and was pretty much floored by the $300 tag. IMO, for putters, that price is reserved for the Scotty's (which crack me up these days) and the custom jobs and limited editions (which I get, but won't buy). You can't put out a cast putter with a funky shape, charge 300 bones for it, and complain about having problems breaking into the market. IMO, with that price tag, they don't WANT broad exposure. They want to be a boutique putter company catering to folks with some cash to throw around to try something new.

Now, if they had a great product out at $100-$150 (the same cost as a forged wedge, or an Odyssey putter) and they couldn't sell it, well then I might have some sympathy for how hard it is to break into the market without a name, but you can't price yourself at the highest end of the market and sit around and wonder what the problem is, imo.

So how about this Axis: send me your putter free. If its still in my bag in 6 months, I'll eat crow publicly and sing your praises for all to hear AND pay you $300 for it. If its not, I'll send it back in perfect condition. Because I'll tell you what: if I shave two strokes off my handicap, I'll use that thing until it breaks from wear and tear. You're the new company, YOU prove it.

Phana: in some ways, you're right. But in others, I completely disagree. First thing: I don't have a single $300 club in my bag, not one. The most expensive club I have is my $200 Adams Superhybrid, which is the first club I've EVER paid full price for right after it was released, and let me tell you, it was an ordeal to get myself to pay "full price". The only reason I did is because I needed a hybrid and I had the chance to hit it several times and loved it. I would have never bought it without hitting it.

And I fully support Axis' right to charge whatever the market will bear for thier product. What I mostly object to is the "David and Goliath" story they're peddling. The story about how hard it is to break into the golf market, etc. As I said on the blog, I was convinced, I was ready to buy. I was expecting a $125-$175 price tag, and was pretty much floored by the $300 tag. IMO, for putters, that price is reserved for the Scotty's (which crack me up these days) and the custom jobs and limited editions (which I get, but won't buy). You can't put out a cast putter with a funky shape, charge 300 bones for it, and complain about having problems breaking into the market. IMO, with that price tag, they don't WANT broad exposure. They want to be a boutique putter company catering to folks with some cash to throw around to try something new.

Now, if they had a great product out at $100-$150 (the same cost as a forged wedge, or an Odyssey putter) and they couldn't sell it, well then I might have some sympathy for how hard it is to break into the market without a name, but you can't price yourself at the highest end of the market and sit around and wonder what the problem is, imo.

So how about this Axis: send me your putter free. If its still in my bag in 6 months, I'll eat crow publicly and sing your praises for all to hear AND pay you $300 for it. If its not, I'll send it back in perfect condition. Because I'll tell you what: if I shave two strokes off my handicap, I'll use that thing until it breaks from wear and tear. You're the new company, YOU prove it.

TYK, you are hilarious. Give Toyota a call for a free car, to prove gas mileage, then BMW a call for a driving experience, and Safeway a stroll for some free food to see if it is really nutritious, and why not call the IRS for a refund, to be sure they really took your money for nothing. Oh, and just for kicks, head on down to Pebble Beach, and ask them to forgo the $500 dollar green fee, since you want to see if it really is a $500 experience. (It isn't) A couple of other points, it is the editorial by MYGOLFSPY who made the David v Goliath comparison which is true about any company trying to enter the golf market. And I can't find anywhere Axis1 is "complaining" about the difficulty entering the golf market other than to acknowledge bringing a totally unique design concept has it's challenges. And finally, I have shaved two strokes off my putting average since making the switch. Real simple. And by the way, you "eating crow" does what for them? Are you Tiger in disguise? All the best. Love MYGOLFSPY!

TYK, you are hilarious. Give Toyota a call for a free car, to prove gas mileage, then BMW a call for a driving experience, and Safeway a stroll for some free food to see if it is really nutritious, and why not call the IRS for a refund, to be sure they really took your money for nothing. Oh, and just for kicks, head on down to Pebble Beach, and ask them to forgo the $500 dollar green fee, since you want to see if it really is a $500 experience. (It isn't) A couple of other points, it is the editorial by MYGOLFSPY who made the David v Goliath comparison which is true about any company trying to enter the golf market. And I can't find anywhere Axis1 is "complaining" about the difficulty entering the golf market other than to acknowledge bringing a totally unique design concept has it's challenges. And finally, I have shaved two strokes off my putting average since making the switch. Real simple. And by the way, you "eating crow" does what for them? Are you Tiger in disguise? All the best. Love MYGOLFSPY!

Actually, car companies do give those "30 day test drive" deals... Just putting that out there. The other two examples aren't really in line with what we're talking about.

I'm with Tyk on this one, but to put it a step farther: NO putter is worth $300 in my opinion. Period. Let's use the Pro's for an example... Tiger uses a Cameron, but he has just as many bad days as he does good days. Phil uses an Odyssey and suffers/succeeds similarly. So, if a $300 Cameron is so great, why do they have similar performances with putters at two differing pricepoints? Yes, they have their putters modified, but that isn't an excuse- we have that same "privilege", yet not many take advantage of it. Why is it that some people buy a SC and still average 35+ putts a round?

Bottom line is, if your putter is the right length; has the right grip size and style you prefer; has the correct amount of loft; looks good to you, whether it's the Bullseye style, or looks like a TIE Fighter, when you set up to the ball with it; and sounds good to you when you make your stroke, it doesn't matter what you spent on it.

My statement was intentionally ridiculous, I don't expect Axis to give me a putter. However, if they're so confident in thier technology, and its not just some funky looking putter, then what better way to prove it?

My point was really made in the first part of my post, about how a company can't really reasonably expect to break into the golf market pricing thier product at the very high end of what people are used to seeing.

Furthermore, I think such pricing is a detriment to the common golfer. We're starting to see some serious price increases in products. Drivers starting at $399 instead of $299, iron sets commonly bumping up over $1000, $119 wedges instead of $89. I think these high prices are bad for golf, and definitely bad for the consumer. I don't look forward to the day where your average putter is $300, but we're seeing that more and more. Its on thing to have the "super premium" brands pricing thier stuff there. Its easy to avoid if you want. Its another to have a new company coming in with a new product and setting thier price there. Its a bad trend.

And just to be clear: I suspect the Axis putter is good. Thier idea is compelling, and like I said, I clicked "buy it now". My beef is solely with the price.

My statement was intentionally ridiculous, I don't expect Axis to give me a putter. However, if they're so confident in thier technology, and its not just some funky looking putter, then what better way to prove it?

My point was really made in the first part of my post, about how a company can't really reasonably expect to break into the golf market pricing thier product at the very high end of what people are used to seeing.

Furthermore, I think such pricing is a detriment to the common golfer. We're starting to see some serious price increases in products. Drivers starting at $399 instead of $299, iron sets commonly bumping up over $1000, $119 wedges instead of $89. I think these high prices are bad for golf, and definitely bad for the consumer. I don't look forward to the day where your average putter is $300, but we're seeing that more and more. Its on thing to have the "super premium" brands pricing thier stuff there. Its easy to avoid if you want. Its another to have a new company coming in with a new product and setting thier price there. Its a bad trend.

And just to be clear: I suspect the Axis putter is good. Thier idea is compelling, and like I said, I clicked "buy it now". My beef is solely with the price.

Tyk,

I appreciate all of your feedback.

You asked for a better way to prove the quality of our products? How many putter companies have 30 day guarantees? We do and the reason we have our guarantee is that we are so confident in our product that we put our money where our mouth is. It's not because we are starving for sales or that we are having problems breaking into the market place. I assure you that is not the case. Some of the top retailers and courses in the country have started carrying our products in the past 90 days and many are doing very very well.

The David vs Goliath deal doesn't fit us. I think MGS was letting you the members of the forum know. "Hey this company has a phenomenal product and they are willing to let you try it risk free." That's it nothing more or nothing less. We are not trying to take on Odyssey, Nike or TMAG. I spent several years at one of the largest companies and I know what it would take $$ wise to fight that battle. We have not interest playing the Wall Street Game. We don't want to be the biggest putter company just the best and make the best products. We just want to carve out our niche in the market place.

Like I said I appreciate no only yours but everyone's feedback keep it coming.

Thanks,

Phil Long

VP - Sales and Marketing

Axis1 Golf

I looked up on an inflation calculator and found that $300 today is the equivalent of $51.00 in 1970, and in reverse, $300 in 1970 would be over $1600 today. So, $300 bucks is starting to look pretty reasonable. And you have to admit that Tiger winning with the SC has kept that brand ahead of the pack in terms of perceived value as anything done by Scotty design wise. Itis hardly fair to compare pricing of an Odyssey with the Axis1 when you consider that there are millions of the Odyssey produced against thousands of the Axis1. It is apples and oranges. And let me pose this ? to y'all: How many putters have you purchased and own now? My bet is more than a few, so you likely have spent more than $300.00 on putters already. And as Axis1 says on their site; don't you want to play with superior technology if it is available? And since the argument seems to be around the difference of $100, that is $17 and change in 1970, so I think we can dismiss $100 as a stumbling point. As to the overall issue of the "cost" of equipment these days, having been in business for 10 years...without some decent margins, shops can't make a profit or stay in business making $20 bucks on a club no matter how many they sell if you calculate the "cost of sale" (a sales person) shipping and handling and (getting the product on the sales floor), accounting and taxes. I would also put this question to the group? Which gives you more pleasure (and profit) on the golf course, hitting a long drive, or sinking a long and winning putt? Just a thought.

Several (if not most) companies have a 30 day trial. I just bought 2 STX Putters directly from them and they had one. In fact, I would compare Axis to STX as far as innovative design goes. Now, I know STX does more than putters, golf is probably the smallest part of thier company, but there are some similarities on the outside in that STX champions thier putter face technology, and Axis is championing thier balanced design. The most expensive STX is $200. . .

Thanks for the economics lesson there CBMaxwell, very refreshing. How about a year ago. What's $100 today in 2009 dollars?

And as for performance pleasure: Which gives you more pleasure, sinking a long winning putt with a $50 used Odyssey, or $300 Scotty? How about outdriving your playing partners and thier $400 drivers with the 2 cycle old Taylor Made Burner you just gave one of them $50 for?! Now THAT is priceless!

I'm not saying I'll never spend $300 on a golf club, in fact, the way things are going, its almost inevitable that I will. I'm not going to succumb easily though! So far, Adams is my most expensive club purchase at $200. I hope it stays that way for a while!

Thanks for the response Phil, I appreciate it. I hope your company is successful, please note that despite all the hubub, I don't have a single bad thing to say about your company's idea or product. You just hit my pucker point with your pricing is all!

Several (if not most) companies have a 30 day trial. I just bought 2 STX Putters directly from them and they had one. In fact, I would compare Axis to STX as far as innovative design goes. Now, I know STX does more than putters, golf is probably the smallest part of thier company, but there are some similarities on the outside in that STX champions thier putter face technology, and Axis is championing thier balanced design. The most expensive STX is $200. . .

Thanks for the economics lesson there CBMaxwell, very refreshing. How about a year ago. What's $100 today in 2009 dollars?

And as for performance pleasure: Which gives you more pleasure, sinking a long winning putt with a $50 used Odyssey, or $300 Scotty? How about outdriving your playing partners and thier $400 drivers with the 2 cycle old Taylor Made Burner you just gave one of them $50 for?! Now THAT is priceless!

I'm not saying I'll never spend $300 on a golf club, in fact, the way things are going, its almost inevitable that I will. I'm not going to succumb easily though! So far, Adams is my most expensive club purchase at $200. I hope it stays that way for a while!

Thanks for the response Phil, I appreciate it. I hope your company is successful, please note that despite all the hubub, I don't have a single bad thing to say about your company's idea or product. You just hit my pucker point with your pricing is all!

www.usinflationcalculator.com

1.6% increase in inflation from 2009 to 2010. But hey, the year ain't over yet.

Archived