TESTERS WANTED! ×

Studio Select gets a 2nd chance after accident

golfluvzme

I was contacted, recently, by a customer who was ordering a SSB Ocracoke. He had the opportunity to purchase a Studio Select Newport 2, but there were some issues. It turns out that the putter had fallen from the cart and had been run over. This mishap snapped the hosel cup right off and left it more of a paperweight to the owner, than a putter. My customer contacted me and asked if I were up for the job of re-hoseling this bad rascal..............OF COURSE!!!!

Getting the chance to work on a putter as popular as Scotty's latest is always a great opportunity. I think that the Studio Select series is the best series Scotty has produced in a very long time.

Here are some pictures of the head, as she arrived in my box.

The new hosel will be a full-round, hand fabricated model with a full shaft of offset and bring it back to around 350 grams. I'll be using 303 SS.............maybe. When the mill is back up and spinning, the final design will have to be made.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

2010_07210020.jpg

2010_07210019.jpg

2010_07210021.jpg

2010_07210022.jpg

That's actually a really nice looking putter, I like the color scheme, not too over the top like a lot of Scotties that I see... I bet he was able to buy it for a steal too...

Looking forward to see what you do with it...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Re-hoseling? GD LaMont, you are a wizard. I would look at his as a re-neck project.

Can't wait to see the progress on this one.

btw, are there bad words on the bumpers? :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

LOL... was also wondering about the bumpers... LOL! Good luck with this one LaMont. Can't wait to watch it take place!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

LaMont you are doing a great thing,

I read about this on TCC and the owner originally thought the headcover just fell off, not knowing the head was still inside.

I believe the bumpers are stamped with a name.

Also the owner of this invested a lot into it and the CS turned down his request to repair the neck even though they had done all previous work to it.

I know you will do a great job after looking at your own beautiful putters LaMont,

Michael

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Fastback (A015066),

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Squareback,

Scotty Cameron Inspired By Brad Faxon,

More just cant write them all in here :)

Newbeach,

Thanks for that post. I knew that there had been some good money spent on this one, before the accident, but didn't know that he had contacted the CS about repairing it. I am not surprised that they balked at doing anything with the hosel. If they had done more work and it had gotten out that it was possible................the onslaught of custom requests would have buried them. The CS had to set limits on what they would offer and I totally understand.

The name on the bumpers has been covered, just to sort of keep the original owner from being pestered or such. It was an accident and not a thing he could have done, I don't believe.

This project is one that I look forward to, very much and I will keep you guys up to date with pictures, as much as possible.

Thanks for the kind words and I'll be in touch,

LaMont in AZ

2010_07240024.jpg

2010_07240027.jpg

2010_07240029.jpg

2010_07240030.jpg

Are you going to leave that stamping on the face?

Yes, the stamping on the face will remain intact. The only thing that I'll do is mill off the previous ownern's name, add the new hosel and get it looking right. I'll be doing new paint fill, but that will be determined after a finish is decided upon. With the stainless steel, we are a little limited, but I have some cool ideas and the new owner has a lot of faith in my work.

She is going to be a show stopper, I think.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

Well, she has a new hosel fabricated, bent to 1/2 shaft offset and glued up for pictures. I used 1018 CR steel for the hosel, in order to get a sweet bi-metal look when the finish is applied. Not sure if we're going with a Torched finish or an oxide tank. I love the look I get with a two metal torch'd look, so that is where I am leaning. The owner gave me a pretty open ticket for the work, so as long as it is beautiful, I think he'll be happy.

She is a shade over 355 grams, so the mass is there, for sure. The weights are 15 gram versions, so he can go a little lighter, or even heavy enough to make her a belly putter, if he was to choose, just by varying the factory weight set-up.

Feel free to comment, if you like or even if this isn't your cup of tea. I am always open to new ideas.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

2010_07300002.jpg

2010_07300012.jpg

2010_07300010.jpg

2010_07300009.jpg

2010_07300006.jpg

2010_07300007.jpg

2010_07300005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is sad how much time can pass before I realize that I haven't updated in a while. Sorry about that, guys and gals. It is getting tougher being a one-man operation, but I'll keep it up until the climate changes, LOL.

Here is this bad rascal, all filled and ready for a shaft and some shipping home. I sort of jumped the gun on the paint fill, first time out and did the dots in white. The customer was great about it, but my wife and daughter agreed with his initial thoughts of all dark blue, no white. I like the white and I think after he saw it, it made more sense, but the color had been changed by then and it looks too good to go back.

Let me hear what you all think and maybe next time we'll have three white dots, eh?

I have another Cammie on the way that was a victim of similar fate, the broken neck syndrome. I'll see what model it is and go from there.

Thanks for all of the kind words.

LaMont in AZ

2010_08100004.jpg

2010_08120009a.jpg

2010_08120007.jpg

2010_08110018.jpg

2010_08110009.jpg

2010_08110016.jpg

great work... I agree with the family... the blue looks a lot better... love that shade of blue as well...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

lamont, if i may ask......when you ground off the old stamping on the rear of the club, didnt that change the weight, or look of the club ???

i really want to know because ive always been scared to do that for fear of changing the chemistry of the club.

thanks

In My Bag

Driver- PING G15 (10.5*)

Shaft- Miyazaki C. Kua 39

Fairway- PING G15 (15.5*)

Shaft- Matrix Studio 64

Fairway- PING G15 (18.5*)

Shaft- Oban Revenge 6

Hybrid- PING I15 (20*)

Shaft- UST Mamiya Attas 285

Irons- PING I15 (5-PW)

Shafts- AeroTech SteelFiber i80

Wedges- PING Tour-S (54*, 60*)

Shafts- True Temper DG Spinner

Putter- PING Scottsdale Pickemup

I don't know that he simply milled them off, kind of looks like they were welded up and refabricated. Don't know though, but I'm sure LaMont will answer. Is this in between a standard neck and a long neck? Neck looks fairly long to me.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived