Jiro

Re-gripping with an air compressor

I am looking into re-gripping my clubs soon and am interested in re-gripping with air. I am going with Pures which got me looking into the air method. I currently don't own an air compressor so looking for ideas on what the minimum air compressors out there that will get the job done. There looks to be ones with tanks in the $80 to $100 range and other small tankless 120V ones that are for car tires, bikes, etc. which are in the $20 to $30 range. From what I can tell you need about 50 to 100psi pressure for re-gripping. My other uses for it would probably small tasks like tires.

Anyone using these small tankless ones for re-gripping? Trying to figure out if these small ones will be good enough. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Absolutely do not use more than 35 PSI !!!! Pure grips will even tell you that. You need only a small compressor that will be able to maintain 35 psi. You need a regulator to throttle it back to 35. 

• Like 3

I've had a large one for many years, so going with air was a no-brainer.  You need one with a tank. The one that MattF posted would be just fine.  I put my Pure grips on with anything less than 80 psi.  Just short bursts of air.

• Like 3

I got a pancake air compressor from Harbor Freight on sale for $60 last year. The Pures go on great! I just hate the conversion process, stripping the tape off the shafts.....ugh

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I got a pancake air compressor from Harbor Freight on sale for $60 last year. The Pures go on great! I just hate the conversion process, stripping the tape off the shafts.....ugh

A heat gun makes easy work stripping tape off. Clean the shaft with some acetone and your all set. Also alleviates the possibility of damaging graphite shafts.

• Like 4

A heat gun makes easy work stripping tape off. Clean the shaft with some acetone and your all set. Also alleviates the possibility of damaging graphite shafts.

Not to thread jack but does anyone want to suggest a cheap heat gun that's effective??  :D You know... while we're at it. 

• Like 2

Not to thread jack but does anyone want to suggest a cheap heat gun that's effective??  :D You know... while we're at it. 

I know you can get cheap ones at Harbor Freight, but years ago when I bought supplies at Golfworks I also bought their heat gun, and I have had no problems with it.  It seems to be a quality unit.

• Like 3

Whenever it comes to an inexpensive tool, especially one that doesn't see daily use or even weekly use, I start with Harbor Freight tools.

• Like 5

I'll go with the 2 fellas above, the Harbor Freight adjustable temp one is the go.

• Like 2

I guess I know where I'm going on the way home. That's where I got my air compressor from as well. Its actually the same one linked to above or a very similar unit with a different tank. I didn't know which one to pick from so I flipped a coin haha. 

• Like 1

Not to thread jack but does anyone want to suggest a cheap heat gun that's effective?? :D You know... while we're at it.

You can use a hair dryer as well to get the old tape off. Use it on high setting hot.

• Like 4

You can use a hair dryer as well to get the old tape off. Use it on high setting hot.

Might give this a shot if they don't have any heat guns. I really need a heat gun so I can stop using my torch to remove shafts from club heads. 

• Like 2

Might give this a shot if they don't have any heat guns. I really need a heat gun so I can stop using my torch to remove shafts from club heads. 

I've used both torch and heat gun; the heat gun takes a lot longer but better for clubs.

• Like 1

Just get a propane torch and go over the tape for 30 seconds to get the adhesive warm and the tape comes right off. Problem solved

Chris

• Like 1

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT get one of the 120v bike tire compressors, they are garbage. I've had the Central Pneumatic that Matt F posted above for the past 4-5 years and it works great.

• Like 3

The hair dryer won't get hot enough to remove the shafts. I only use it to help remove the old tape after you remove the a grip. Hearing the old tape up help it come off the shaft much easier.

I always use my torch to remove the heads. You just have to move the flame around. It only takes about 15-20 seconds of heat with a torch. (I use scotchbrite to remove burn marks if I get some on the hosel), if you are removing a graphite shaft, it's more important to have a shaft puller for that since you don't want to twist the head with a graphite shaft it will break the shaft fibers.

• Like 1