TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-gripping with an air compressor

I am looking into re-gripping my clubs soon and am interested in re-gripping with air. I am going with Pures which got me looking into the air method. I currently don't own an air compressor so looking for ideas on what the minimum air compressors out there that will get the job done. There looks to be ones with tanks in the $80 to $100 range and other small tankless 120V ones that are for car tires, bikes, etc. which are in the $20 to $30 range. From what I can tell you need about 50 to 100psi pressure for re-gripping. My other uses for it would probably small tasks like tires.

Anyone using these small tankless ones for re-gripping? Trying to figure out if these small ones will be good enough. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Absolutely do not use more than 35 PSI !!!! Pure grips will even tell you that. You need only a small compressor that will be able to maintain 35 psi. You need a regulator to throttle it back to 35. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've had a large one for many years, so going with air was a no-brainer.  You need one with a tank. The one that MattF posted would be just fine.  I put my Pure grips on with anything less than 80 psi.  Just short bursts of air.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I got a pancake air compressor from Harbor Freight on sale for $60 last year. The Pures go on great! I just hate the conversion process, stripping the tape off the shafts.....ugh

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I got a pancake air compressor from Harbor Freight on sale for $60 last year. The Pures go on great! I just hate the conversion process, stripping the tape off the shafts.....ugh

A heat gun makes easy work stripping tape off. Clean the shaft with some acetone and your all set. Also alleviates the possibility of damaging graphite shafts.

A heat gun makes easy work stripping tape off. Clean the shaft with some acetone and your all set. Also alleviates the possibility of damaging graphite shafts.

Not to thread jack but does anyone want to suggest a cheap heat gun that's effective??  :D You know... while we're at it. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Not to thread jack but does anyone want to suggest a cheap heat gun that's effective??  :D You know... while we're at it. 

I know you can get cheap ones at Harbor Freight, but years ago when I bought supplies at Golfworks I also bought their heat gun, and I have had no problems with it.  It seems to be a quality unit.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'll go with the 2 fellas above, the Harbor Freight adjustable temp one is the go.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I guess I know where I'm going on the way home. That's where I got my air compressor from as well. Its actually the same one linked to above or a very similar unit with a different tank. I didn't know which one to pick from so I flipped a coin haha. 

Not to thread jack but does anyone want to suggest a cheap heat gun that's effective?? :D You know... while we're at it.

You can use a hair dryer as well to get the old tape off. Use it on high setting hot.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

You can use a hair dryer as well to get the old tape off. Use it on high setting hot.

Might give this a shot if they don't have any heat guns. I really need a heat gun so I can stop using my torch to remove shafts from club heads. 

Might give this a shot if they don't have any heat guns. I really need a heat gun so I can stop using my torch to remove shafts from club heads. 

I've used both torch and heat gun; the heat gun takes a lot longer but better for clubs.

Just get a propane torch and go over the tape for 30 seconds to get the adhesive warm and the tape comes right off. Problem solved

Chris

The hair dryer won't get hot enough to remove the shafts. I only use it to help remove the old tape after you remove the a grip. Hearing the old tape up help it come off the shaft much easier.

I always use my torch to remove the heads. You just have to move the flame around. It only takes about 15-20 seconds of heat with a torch. (I use scotchbrite to remove burn marks if I get some on the hosel), if you are removing a graphite shaft, it's more important to have a shaft puller for that since you don't want to twist the head with a graphite shaft it will break the shaft fibers.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Just get a propane torch and go over the tape for 30 seconds to get the adhesive warm and the tape comes right off. Problem solved

Chris

Thanks Chris.....I'm getting ready to do some re-gripping.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Run it at 75-80psi with a pvc pipe just larger than the grip acting like a housing around the grip - this will allow you to confidently blow grips off without worrying about popping them. I have an 8 gal Kobalt compressor from lowes. Great for blasting, airbrushing, grip work, air hammering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

The hair dryer won't get hot enough to remove the shafts. I only use it to help remove the old tape after you remove the a grip. Hearing the old tape up help it come off the shaft much easier.

I always use my torch to remove the heads. You just have to move the flame around. It only takes about 15-20 seconds of heat with a torch. (I use scotchbrite to remove burn marks if I get some on the hosel), if you are removing a graphite shaft, it's more important to have a shaft puller for that since you don't want to twist the head with a graphite shaft it will break the shaft fibers.

Oh I wasn't planning on using the hair dryer for removing shafts. I've got my my torch for that. My torch is sort of a piece of junk though so that's why I wanted a heat gun. Although I guess I could just get a new torch just as easily too and use the hair dryer for the grip tape. So many options!

Thoughts on this technique.

https://youtu.be/qd3Qzz3m4cg

I think even I can do this lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Yes you can Tazz, I have been doing it for quite a few years.  I set my air compressor at 45 pounds and have never had any trouble getting grips on nor have I had one explode on me. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST MaxRogue ST Max 3, 5 & 7 Wooda 
Irons -      Rogue ST MAX OS  5 - AW
Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*  

Putter -    ER2
Rangefinder -  NX9 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Soft Drip

Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I have done it at 35 LBS for years and have never had any problems and I do not use the PVC pipe either. If you are a cheapskate like me it works good. I find so many clubs and experiment a lot with the old stuff that I just blow grips on and off. LOL if I had to buy grips for every club I experiment with I would go broke. Also 35 lbs will not stretch the grip. I have some grips I know have been on and off at least 20 times or more. BTW I have a older big compressor from the old race car shop that will shoot 150 lbs but I use a regulator down to 35 PSI. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have done it at 35 LBS for years and have never had any problems and I do not use the PVC pipe either. If you are a cheapskate like me it works good. I find so many clubs and experiment a lot with the old stuff that I just blow grips on and off. LOL if I had to buy grips for every club I experiment with I would go broke. Also 35 lbs will not stretch the grip. I have some grips I know have been on and off at least 20 times or more. BTW I have a older big compressor from the old race car shop that will shoot 150 lbs but I use a regulator down to 35 PSI.

Any trouble in blowing off grips installed the traditional method?

I'd like to save them if possible..

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Will one of the small tire pumping compressors work? I can get one of those for $35.00. If not, I will get a 3 gal. pancake compressor.

I use the small tire pumping compressor and it works just fine. No trouble getting them on or off and the only one that I have blown out was when trying to remove one that had been put on with double sided tape ( note: it doesn't come off easily at all but if I was going to try again I would use the pvc pipe trick.)

If your're doing a lot of them maybe invest it better equipment - but for doing a few sets a couple of times a year - it is not necessary. Spend it on more clubs?

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

I use the small tire pumping compressor and it works just fine. No trouble getting them on or off and the only one that I have blown out was when trying to remove one that had been put on with double sided tape ( note: it doesn't come off easily at all but if I was going to try again I would use the pvc pipe trick.)

If your're doing a lot of them maybe invest it better equipment - but for doing a few sets a couple of times a year - it is not necessary. Spend it on more clubs?

Yeah I guess I'm referencing blowing grips with the normal grip tape underneath. I was wondering what I'm doing wrong that I can't get any sign of movement at less than 65/70 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental