TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-gripping with an air compressor

Any trouble in blowing off grips installed the traditional method?

I'd like to save them if possible..

Tazz

I have found it difficult to save grips put on using tape.  It can be done but it takes patience.  Grips put on with the 3/4" tape and wound onto the shaft are easier to blow off than ones put on with the conventional 2 inch tape.  If you put grip solvent in the hole on the end of the grip and apply air pressure slowly, the solvent will work it's way around the tape.  It takes time so I just cut them off.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't use tape when I install mine, but I understand those of you that wrap. If I did wrap, I'd use masking tape.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Any trouble in blowing off grips installed the traditional method?

I'd like to save them if possible..

Tazz

I am only able to save about 30 percent of them, if I decided to up the pressure and add a piece of PVC to my process I might save more but once I establish a working routine I am reluctant to change. 

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I don't use tape when I install mine, but I understand those of you that wrap. If I did wrap, I'd use masking tape.

I like the blue painters tape, I use it for grip build up and always tape the end of the shaft, especially on putters.  The metal shaft will cut a nice round hole in the end of the grip, don't ask how I know, haha. 

Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I like the blue painters tape, I use it for grip build up and always tape the end of the shaft, especially on putters.  The metal shaft will cut a nice round hole in the end of the grip, don't ask how I know, haha. 

Same here.  Blue painter's tape is great for buildup and the grips blow on and off easily.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah I guess I'm referencing blowing grips with the normal grip tape underneath. I was wondering what I'm doing wrong that I can't get any sign of movement at less than 65/70 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Xstiff, what I have read up on is to poke a hole in he tape through the hole in the end of the grip. Then squirt some solvent inside, then use short bursts of air, and twist the grip to work the solvent until the grip is loose from the tape then it should come off. I just did a YouTube look up up for changing a grip using air. You should be able to find a video that shows it pretty well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Xstiff, what I have read up on is to poke a hole in he tape through the hole in the end of the grip. Then squirt some solvent inside, then use short bursts of air, and twist the grip to work the solvent until the grip is loose from the tape then it should come off. I just did a YouTube look up up for changing a grip using air. You should be able to find a video that shows it pretty well.

Thx Kor

Don't get me wrong, there are grips that can't be blown off, and I've popped more than my share but with the pvc sheath and 75 psi it's pretty mindless to blow putter grips worth saving off. Once enough air is in the Grip it just fires back against you and if you let it, it'll slide right off the shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

So there is no slipping if the grip is installed over masking tape? It seems like the grip would take more of a "bite" on a clean steel shaft? 

According to Pure, it doesn't matter.  I need wraps and the grip seals just fine.  

So I did a little experiment tonight with a couple putters. I needed to take one off and put a new one on. So I have this old bike tire pump mad by Schwinn, it's the kind that plugs into the 12v receiver in your car, I needed to take the grip off which had 2 sided tape, I was able to squirt some solvent in the end then turned on the pump, it took a few second but the air blew through and grip loosened up and cam right off no problems. So I put one wrap of masking tape, then put a little solvent on my finger tip and just kind of wiped the opening of the grip to help get it started on the shaft. Then just turned on the pump and the grip slipped right on. I don' t think you need more than 20-30 psi to do this. I will be going to Walmart or harbor freight to buy one that plugs into the wall, but you dont need a huge pump to do this. This is going to make changing grips soooo much easier. Even with this tiny pump it took 10 seconds to put the grip on. I wish I would have realized it was his easy earlier. So much less mess, and so much more simple.

I think I am going to go pick up a 3 gallon pancake compressor this weekend. I have a few upcoming house projects that I think that will be a good size for. My new grips came in the mail today so are ready to be put on as soon as I get the compressor.

What are people using for solvent? I noticed it mentioned above for helping getting grips on/off.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I think I am going to go pick up a 3 gallon pancake compressor this weekend. I have a few upcoming house projects that I think that will be a good size for. My new grips came in the mail today so are ready to be put on as soon as I get the compressor.

What are people using for solvent? I noticed it mentioned above for helping getting grips on/off.

You don't need solvent.  The solvent can be used to help remove grips that were put on with grip tape and solvent, but unnecessary when putting on grips with air.  But it's faster to just cut them off.

Most all grips can be put on with air.  I have found that the Winn grips with the hard rubber collar are very difficult, but can be done with a little solvent.  I use grip solvent from Golfworks because I still have some left over from when I used grip tape.  Some people have used lighter fluid, and I know one person that has used gasoline.  I DO NOT recommend that!!

FYI, if you haven't watched the video on the Pure website yet, I recommend that you do.  There are some tips/techniques that help getting the grips on.  After you do it a few times, easy peasy; lemon squeezy.  

If you don't have grip solvent use mineral spirits, I only used it to remove the grips that had double sided tape on it. It really is very simple. Look up on you tube and watch a video or 2. You don't need to use solvent at all to put the grip on, I dipped my finger in it and put some just on the lip opening of the grip to help start the grip over the end of the shaft, I would use at least a small price of masking or painters tape on the end of the shaft to help with a smooth transition for the grip.

If you leave the shaft bare, at least put a piece of painter's tape on the end of the shaft and fold it into the shaft end.  The shaft is usually pretty sharp and can catch on the inside of the grip.  

I just use spit as lube...old old school.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'd like to see (pictures) what some of you guys use on the hose end...ie.. the nozzel. What's best? IYO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I also use the Pure gun. I got mine from Grips4less.com, I think...or it could have been one of the authorised resellers on ebay.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I'd like to see (pictures) what some of you guys use on the hose end...ie.. the nozzel. What's best? IYO.

I use a kit similar to this one.  I use the triggered accessory holder and the barbed nozzle on the second row down in the center, directly under the center inflating needle.  Works really well.

85bfbdd6-2891-4336-926b-1e6ed229641d_100

I use a kit similar to this one.  I use the triggered accessory holder and the barbed nozzle on the second row down in the center, directly under the center inflating needle.  Works really well.

85bfbdd6-2891-4336-926b-1e6ed229641d_100

That's what I need. I like it. Were did you find the kit? I'll do some looking also.

Thanks

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I bought it at either Tractor Supply or Lowe's, it has been so long I have forgotten.  You can use the other attachments for a variety of things at home.  The tire chuck is used a  good bit, my cars have the pressure sensing devices and when it turns cold I have to put air in all of my tires.  

IMG_1837.JPG

I ended up finding this kit off eBay from someone that puts them together for this purpose. Looks similar to the pure grip one but metal end instead of plastic. Plus came with some stuff I wanted to get anyway like a utility knife with a hooked end and a rubber piece for the vise. At $27 it was cheaper than just the pure grip gun.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

IMG_1838.JPG

I didn't end up finishing yet. I tried to do it during my kids nap time but that went shorter than anticipated and taking the old tape off is kind of a pain and by far the most cumbersome part. Next time I won't have that step so should go way quicker. Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips, I ended up using a lot of them. Picture is a preview...I could not decide on a color so...why not?

I used to use mineral spirits or Varosol. Now I use charcoal lighter fluid. It is cheaper I usually get it at Dollar General. A quart will last me a year or so and I do a lot of grips with all my club experimenting and tinkering. I just use a little bit on the mouth of the grip to get it started and swoosh! it is on. It also evaporates real quick too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Thanks all for the tips. This was my first go at regripping so appreciate all the info. I used a lot of the advice posted above and it was helpful.

I got this very one. The one I got leaks from the the quick release valve which made it a pain to use--had to refill frequently--like every 1 or 2 clubs. I think I am going to take it back and see if I get get one that works a little better-I still have some adjustments to do.

A heat gun makes easy work stripping tape off. Clean the shaft with some acetone and your all set. Also alleviates the possibility of damaging graphite shafts.

I improvised with what I had--hair dryer and this stuff called Goo Gone for cleaning the shaft--works great for getting stickers off.

That's what I need. I like it. Were did you find the kit? I'll do some looking also.

Thanks

I have a similar kit and got it from Harbour Freight.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Gonna join the cool kids and regrip with air. Snagged a Black and Decker ASI300 off the bay. It looks like it'll do grips nicely and any other lil jobs. Like that it can use a regular outlet or the cigarette outlet.

Question, instead of getting messy and removing old tape. Could I just add a layer of painters tape and go from there?

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons