TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-gripping with an air compressor

Gonna join the cool kids and regrip with air. Snagged a Black and Decker ASI300 off the bay. It looks like it'll do grips nicely and any other lil jobs. Like that it can use a regular outlet or the cigarette outlet.

Question, instead of getting messy and removing old tape. Could I just add a layer of painters tape and go from there?

Tazz

I am assuming you are going to cut off the grip. If you use a hair dryer and heat the tape up it will peel right off the shaft. Leaving a clean slate to start with. That being said, if the tape is in good shape you could just blow the grip right on it. I like to take the tape off and start clean. I've only done a couple with air, but I do find it very simple to do, especially if you have done your own grips before.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Gonna join the cool kids and regrip with air. Snagged a Black and Decker ASI300 off the bay. It looks like it'll do grips nicely and any other lil jobs. Like that it can use a regular outlet or the cigarette outlet.

Question, instead of getting messy and removing old tape. Could I just add a layer of painters tape and go from there?

Tazz

I prefer to start clean, but that's just me.  I put 4 wraps under my lead hand and two under my trail hand.  I know it's a pain to clean the old tape off, but I think it's better in the long run.  Once, I put the grip on over the old tape and it stuck to the grip so blowing it off later was problematic.  Goes on and off nicely with clean painter's tape.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I just did my driver and 3 wood yesterday...I took the old tape off, which came off with no problems at all. I don't use tape when putting the new ones on my graphite shafts.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Anyone having trouble blowing off GP New Decade Multi Compound grips? I could not get one to come off yesterday without tearing it up. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Anyone having trouble blowing off GP New Decade Multi Compound grips? I could not get one to come off yesterday without tearing it up. 

Were they blown on?  If not, you will have to use solvent and take your time.  I liked those grips, but they wore out quickly for me, so I wasn't interested is saving them anyway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Were they blown on?  If not, you will have to use solvent and take your time.  I liked those grips, but they wore out quickly for me, so I wasn't interested is saving them anyway.

They were not blown on. I'd like to save them if possible because all 8 are basically new. 

Thanks for the solvent tip! I'll look up that method on youtube.

They were not blown on. I'd like to save them if possible because all 8 are basically new. 

Thanks for the solvent tip! I'll look up that method on youtube.

Poke a hole in the tape covering the hole under the grip end; Insert grip solvent; make a good seal with the air gun and use short bursts with low pressure.  If you have a hypodermic needle, you can inject solvent into the grip.

Poke a hole in the tape covering the hole under the grip end; Insert grip solvent; make a good seal with the air gun and use short bursts with low pressure.  If you have a hypodermic needle, you can inject solvent into the grip.

Ok that sounds easy enough. I'll give it shot. Thanks Kenny!

I have those on my clubs now. I'm replacing them with Pure Grips for the reason you listed. They just didn't hold up very well for me. other than that, I liked them.

• 2 weeks later...

This past week I setup my new gripping station and thought I'd share a few pics. I purchased my setup from Maltby. I also got a new compressor.

Wednesday evening I put everything to the test and regripped all my clubs using GP CP2 grips. The Maltby setup was a pleasure to use and made the process simple. I didn't use my compressor much except on two clubs. I had a $hitty connection** setup using the supplied quik-connect couplings and hose. So, I just installed my grips the old standard way using solvent and sliding on the grips by hand. No air. As you can see in my pictures the Maltby vise clamps into my existing bench vise. The Maltby device has a single lever-action to clamp the shafts. It's fully adjustable to set just the right amount of pressure to the shaft whether they be steel or graphite. My setup has tape holders for double-sided and build up tape. I only used the tape dispenser on two clubs as I left the existing tape on the shafts for all the other clubs. But, the tape dispenser was handy. My setup also came with a plastic solvent catch pan and a length of clear tubing to recapture the solvent into a jug. The Maltby grip station I purchased also came with an attachable club face alignment device that I don't particularly care for at this time. The idea behind this to help align the clubface/head squarely thereby insuring your grip is also aligned properly. I didn't think it worked as intended or perhaps I just don't "get it". Honestly, it's not necessary IMO. All told I'm pleased with my setup and the quality of the Maltby grip station. It's easy to setup, not expensive, and makes regripping a breeze.

** the way I connected the hose to the nozzle with the supplied quik-connect coupling was a bust. Each time it seemed I was ready to put the air to the grip my hand would cause the quik-connect to decouple. Just yesterday I purchased a new hose with 1/4" screw in connections. Now I've screwed the hose directly into the nozzle. Perfect.

20170311_093935.jpg

20170306_185705.jpg

20170220_192136.jpg

20170312_103111.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That's some pro-level $hit right there!

Makes my $1 rubber vise insert and loose roll of tape look kinda sad...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So there is no slipping if the grip is installed over masking tape? It seems like the grip would take more of a "bite" on a clean steel shaft?

There isn't, because the Inner Diameter of the grip is slightly smaller than the OD of the shaft. Your compressed air actually expands the grip diameter enough to blow it on. The more layers of tape you use to build up obv the harder that gets. The old way requires solvent because we can't force the grip over the shaft by hand without a lubricant and requires tape so that the solvent has somewhere to dissipate. If it were just solvent on steel the grip would slide right back off. If you change a lot of grips, and don't build up a ton, and don't use a lot of 2 piece grips ie Winn (those blow up more easily) the compressor is def the way to go.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Thanks for the kind comments. It's a good setup I think. I can get a payout on it in about 10 years as opposed to paying a shop to put them on for me. :unsure:

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ok that sounds easy enough. I'll give it shot. Thanks Kenny!

GW's has a grip needle that works great, takes 10 seconds to remove an old grip if you want to save it, just need to get a bubble going, it'll walk the rest of the way up the grip. Just wrap a rag around the bottom (label end), the solvent will want to spray out when it breaks the seal.

RBZ 10.5* driver

DTG Turner H-1 4/5/7 woods

Titleist AP1 irons

TM Tour Preferred wedges (50/54/58)

Hannah C curve putter

My swing speed is on the cusp, stiff flex driver, working down to a regular flex in the irons.

I use my compressor for all of my gripping. Just the regular little blow nozzle that the tip will fit in the hole alright with. Short little bursts and hold my hand around the grip to guide it on or off.  If you spray a little grip spray in the grip hole first, a lot of times you can then add the air to remove and reuse grips if you need to. Especially if you have just installed a new grip and a couple weeks later want to change the shaft.  Just be sure to take the good grip off of the old shaft prior to removal of the head, otherwise the air just shoots right out the shaft tip and won't build pressure under the grip.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Add on question...using air to install some grips on my set, switched them around several times before using a grip needle, etc. when I was tinkering with swing weight. If there is needle holes in the grip already (like 5 or 6) will the install with air work? or just blow a hole through the existing needle holes in the grip...question just kind of popped into my head..sorry

RBZ 10.5* driver

Titleist AP1 irons

Hannah C curve putter

My swing speed is on the cusp, stiff flex driver, working down to a regular flex in the irons.

Add on question...using air to install some grips on my set, switched them around several times before using a grip needle, etc. when I was tinkering with swing weight. If there is needle holes in the grip already (like 5 or 6) will the install with air work? or just blow a hole through the existing needle holes in the grip...question just kind of popped into my head..sorry

Do you mean there are holes poked in the sides of the grip? I would think trying to go back through them with air could tear those open pretty good. Just go through the opening in the butt end with the compressor need and you should be fine

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Biggest issue I've had with grips that come off with an injector is that there is sometimes adhesive and tape residue in them that will get blown all over when you reinstall.  Usually pretty simple to clean up with some solvent, but a PITA still.  

I love air for the installation of slip on leather grips.  I've transferred multiple sets of Gripmasters between sets, especially irons.  They, along with drivers, don't seem to have a long life in the bag.

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

Biggest issue I've had with grips that come off with an injector is that there is sometimes adhesive and tape residue in them that will get blown all over when you reinstall.  Usually pretty simple to clean up with some solvent, but a PITA still.  

I love air for the installation of slip on leather grips.  I've transferred multiple sets of Gripmasters between sets, especially irons.  They, along with drivers, don't seem to have a long life in the bag.

I've been staring at your avatar for a while, thinking.... It/he looks so familiar. Then, it dawned on me! I had a good laugh! Nice!

Regripped my test clubs last night putting my lamkins back on. 5 clubs regripped with air. Took 10 minutes. Finally getting the hang of this and I love it.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Thanks for the feedback. I put the grips back on last night, no problem, kept the PSI at 30ish, quick and easy.

Will help in the build process too (I think) after you put in your tip weights you can pop on the grips, put the heads on and check everything on the scale to make sure you are getting the swing weight you want for the club.

For my clubs I would stick to the compressor, but I think for customers I will do the final install using the old fashioned method...just for my own piece of mind, I have seen people abuse the crap out of a club and then try to claim it broke 'during the swing' lol

RBZ 10.5* driver

Titleist AP1 irons

Hannah C curve putter

• 1 month later...

If anyone has issues with grips bursting when removing. Try a piece of plumbing waste pipe slightly larger diameter than the grip your removing and it stops the grip expanding and exploding. I've been using this method for years with no complaints. Just cut a piece of waste pipe slightly longer than a standard grip, slip it over the grip and inject needle into end of grip and apply air pressure and your good to go. If your having problems getting the air to start working, hold the end of the grip and twist. I've been using this method and the same piece of pipe for about 10 years.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Bringing this one back up for some help. I have used air on my grips for over a year now with no issues, I do not use 2 sided tape, just blue painters tape.

I put on the new GP Align midsize grips, and what I have noticed is that from the buttons up the shaft about 2-3 inches, I can move the grip (twist it) with my hand the rest of the grip is tight and I cannot move it. I checked this with my other set that have Lamkin UTx on them and I cannot move the grip. Should I put a small pc of 2 sides tape on to help keep it in place. Is there another option to try, I hate taking the grip off when there is 2 sided tape on them. Anyone else having this problem. Also the guys at GG say that these grips on irons are really hard to get on straight. I am also finding that out, but the grips feel really good. Any help is appreciated.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I installed the GP align grips on my clubs this winter. For me they were really hard to get on the last couple of inches. I did have a little bit of movement with the clubs when they were mounted directly on the shaft. Once i put some single sided tape down they were snug. 

Getting them straight was really hard. To the point that none of mine are perfectly straight. I'm kind of thinking that putting a bamboo skewer under the tape would have been a better idea.

WITB - New Drive, Irons, and putter for 2019. What could possible go wrong?

Driver:   :callaway-small: EPIC 
3wd:  :cobra-small: BIO Cell+ 12.5*
2hb:  :callaway-small: Diablo Tour 18*
4-pw:  :srixon-small: 765
52*:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3
56*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
60*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 1

I'm thinking about buying the Pure gun, but is it necessary? I have a small 2 gal. compressor that supposedly can go up to 100 psi. I mostly use it to blow dust out of computers, fill tires, etc. I have an attachment but I don't think it's small enough to concentrate the air into the grip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The Pure gun is terrific! I use it with my pancake compressor.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You could make your own gun out of PVC but the Pure gun (I have it) is the goods.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!