TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-gripping with an air compressor

This past week I setup my new gripping station and thought I'd share a few pics. I purchased my setup from Maltby. I also got a new compressor.

Wednesday evening I put everything to the test and regripped all my clubs using GP CP2 grips. The Maltby setup was a pleasure to use and made the process simple. I didn't use my compressor much except on two clubs. I had a $hitty connection** setup using the supplied quik-connect couplings and hose. So, I just installed my grips the old standard way using solvent and sliding on the grips by hand. No air. As you can see in my pictures the Maltby vise clamps into my existing bench vise. The Maltby device has a single lever-action to clamp the shafts. It's fully adjustable to set just the right amount of pressure to the shaft whether they be steel or graphite. My setup has tape holders for double-sided and build up tape. I only used the tape dispenser on two clubs as I left the existing tape on the shafts for all the other clubs. But, the tape dispenser was handy. My setup also came with a plastic solvent catch pan and a length of clear tubing to recapture the solvent into a jug. The Maltby grip station I purchased also came with an attachable club face alignment device that I don't particularly care for at this time. The idea behind this to help align the clubface/head squarely thereby insuring your grip is also aligned properly. I didn't think it worked as intended or perhaps I just don't "get it". Honestly, it's not necessary IMO. All told I'm pleased with my setup and the quality of the Maltby grip station. It's easy to setup, not expensive, and makes regripping a breeze.

** the way I connected the hose to the nozzle with the supplied quik-connect coupling was a bust. Each time it seemed I was ready to put the air to the grip my hand would cause the quik-connect to decouple. Just yesterday I purchased a new hose with 1/4" screw in connections. Now I've screwed the hose directly into the nozzle. Perfect.

attachicon.gif20170311_093935.jpg

attachicon.gif20170306_185705.jpg

attachicon.gif20170220_192136.jpg

attachicon.gif20170312_103111.jpg

Update:

I've got quite a bit of usage from my grip station since last year. Mostly from buddies want to regrip their clubs. But that's ok because if give us a good excuse to get together for a while and shoot the $s***.

The Maltby setup like I have works beautifully and is a breeze to work with. The only draw-back I suppose is that the drip pan is a little shakey. It works fine and catches all the solvent etc. but the way it attaches to the device isn't ideal. But it works.

I also don't use the compressor like I thought I would. I find putting on grips the old fashion way easier for me. However, the compressor has been useful for removing a grip during installation if the slid-on method gets stuck or something.

A word of caution: about a week ago a buddy came over to put on some new grips. I just let him do all the work since he knows what he's doing. Anyway, he switched to gripping a graphite driver or FW club and didn't adjust the clamp pressure and cracked the shaft on one of his clubs. We both heard the sound and after a close inspection saw a small 2" crack running parallel to the shaft. I played with him a few days later and he said he didn't notice anything unusual with the club/shaft. The crack was closer to the grip end of the shaft. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Wow. I'd be afraid to play with a cracked shaft.

Thanks for feedback on setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

I'm thinking about buying the Pure gun, but is it necessary? I have a small 2 gal. compressor that supposedly can go up to 100 psi. I mostly use it to blow dust out of computers, fill tires, etc. I have an attachment but I don't think it's small enough to concentrate the air into the grip.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

certainly not necessary ... all you need is a way to "inject" air into the butt end of the grip

it really depends on how much money you want to spend ... you can get a kit like the one in post #50 for ten dollars (maybe less) or spend the extra cash and get the Pure gun (which is certainly a convenient option)

I went the simple route 10 (or more) years ago and bought an air gun and nozzle that fits snugly into the end of grips from Harbor Freight (similar to what is shown in post #50). Since then I've re-gripped my clubs, my wife's clubs and my kids clubs (plus others) many, many times and haven't had any reason to upgrade. 

What's in my  :titelist-small: 14 Way Stand Bag

Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD 9° (Regular Flex)
Fairway:  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° (Regular Flex)
Hybrids:  PXG 19° (Regular Flex)
Irons: PXG 0211 4-GW (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50
°,54°,58° (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Putter: post-56870-0-25810000-1458757651.pngZAAP Alpha (35")

I'm thinking about buying the Pure gun, but is it necessary? I have a small 2 gal. compressor that supposedly can go up to 100 psi. I mostly use it to blow dust out of computers, fill tires, etc. I have an attachment but I don't think it's small enough to concentrate the air into the grip.

Although not necessary, the Pure Gun definitely makes easy work of things. I was able to snag one from Amazon for only $12 a couple months ago.

I've used one of these attachments a few times and they work okay too. They typically come with an attachment bundle. IMG_1085.JPG

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Although not necessary, the Pure Gun definitely makes easy work of things. I was able to snag one from Amazon for only $12 a couple months ago.

I've used one of these attachments a few times and they work okay too. They typically come with an attachment bundle. attachicon.gifIMG_1085.JPG

Yeah, that's exactly like the one I have, but the hole seems too big. I've never seen the butt end of a pure grip in person but I can't imagine it's bigger than any other grip.

The gun is only $37 on Amazon right now so it's not like it would break the bank, but if you guys say it makes it easier I always trust my spy bros. How comparable are the Pure Pros to MCCs in terms of feel and sweaty-hands-grippage? Anyone use both?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Yeah, that's exactly like the one I have, but the hole seems too big. I've never seen the butt end of a pure grip in person but u I can't imagine it's bigger than any other grip.

I took the rubber piece off and it makes it way easier to slide into the end of the grip.

IMG_1086.JPG

I took the rubber piece off and it makes it way easier to slide into the end of the grip.

attachicon.gifIMG_1086.JPG

Interesting, maybe I'll try that before ordering. My mom wants to get back into golf after following me on IG, LOL! She said she needs new grips so I have a couple of clubs I can test with hehe

.........but if you guys say it makes it easier I always trust my spy bros. How comparable are the Pure Pros to MCCs in terms of feel and sweaty-hands-grippage? Anyone use both?

I just made the switch in the fall from the MCCs to PURE Pros. One important distinction is the Pros are a rubber grip like Tour Velvet. If you want to keep with the same corded feel, the PURE DTX grips would be a closer comparison. Those, I have not played.

So far so good for the switch I did make. I prefer the Pro grips in feel and shape. The MCCs were awesome grips that I played for many years but I ultimately made the switch because 1) got sick of getting locked into one hand position 2) my soft, gentle hands were getting chewed up as I started hitting the range more and 3) great color selection. The Pros have more of a tapered feel with a bigger butt end slanting to slimmer for your bottom hand. At first, that made the grip feel skinnier than but I've grown accustomed to it and am now hitting the ball straighter.

I've covered feel but can't really comment on durability/sweaty hands yet. They're tacky enough and have stayed tacky. I washed them once which made them almost sticky but that went away after 1 range session (thank God) and returned to a slightly-tackier-than-Tourvelvet tackiness. I practiced a ton this winter so durability doing just fine. My hands (soft and gentle) don't get sweaty so that's never an issue with my grips. Will see how they hold up to hand oils over the summer. Every other grip is white so those will definitely show wear if it happens.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. I played 27 in the rain once with them. Handled beautifully. No issues whatsoever with slippage and I could still get after it with all swings with all clubs. I suppose playing in the rain is as close as I can get to sweaty hands.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I just made the switch in the fall from the MCCs to PURE Pros. One important distinction is the Pros are a rubber grip like Tour Velvet. If you want to keep with the same corded feel, the PURE DTX grips would be a closer comparison. Those, I have not played.

So far so good for the switch I did make. I prefer the Pro grips in feel and shape. The MCCs were awesome grips that I played for many years but I ultimately made the switch because 1) got sick of getting locked into one hand position 2) my soft, gentle hands were getting chewed up as I started hitting the range more and 3) great color selection. The Pros have more of a tapered feel with a bigger butt end slanting to slimmer for your bottom hand. At first, that made the grip feel skinnier than but I've grown accustomed to it and am now hitting the ball straighter.

I've covered feel but can't really comment on durability/sweaty hands yet. They're tacky enough and have stayed tacky. I washed them once which made them almost sticky but that went away after 1 range session (thank God) and returned to a slightly-tackier-than-Tourvelvet tackiness. I practiced a ton this winter so durability doing just fine. My hands (soft and gentle) don't get sweaty so that's never an issue with my grips. Will see how they hold up to hand oils over the summer. Every other grip is white so those will definitely show wear if it happens.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot. I played 27 in the rain once with them. Handled beautifully. No issues whatsoever with slippage and I could still get after it with all swings with all clubs. I suppose playing in the rain is as close as I can get to sweaty hands.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

Nice, I'll give them a try!

I use a kit similar to this one.  I use the triggered accessory holder and the barbed nozzle on the second row down in the center, directly under the center inflating needle.  Works really well.

85bfbdd6-2891-4336-926b-1e6ed229641d_100

That barbed needle so to speak is exactly what I use. If you already have the blower you can buy that fitting at a quality auto parts store like NAPA or any truck parts supplier

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nice, I'll give them a try!

I had a different experience with Pure grips than Que. I play in South Texas where there is very high humidity and my hands tend to get sweaty. I play full cord grips and don't wear a glove because of this, but I gave the Pure DTX grips a try due to price and reviews that I had read.

I had one grip tear during assembly, which I have never even seen before and I have regripped hundreds of clubs. The grips felt good in cool dry conditions but once summer came around they only lasted about two rounds before I cut them off. They felt slick, slick, slick to me once the weather hit triple digits. Seems I am in the minority but I was not happy with them. I would definitely try one grip first and see how you like it.

I have felt a few of their putter grips though and those feel really good, almost like an Iomic.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I had a different experience with Pure grips than Que. I play in South Texas where there is very high humidity and my hands tend to get sweaty. I play full cord grips and don't wear a glove because of this, but I gave the Pure DTX grips a try due to price and reviews that I had read.

I had one grip tear during assembly, which I have never even seen before and I have regripped hundreds of clubs. The grips felt good in cool dry conditions but once summer came around they only lasted about two rounds before I cut them off. They felt slick, slick, slick to me once the weather hit triple digits. Seems I am in the minority but I was not happy with them. I would definitely try one grip first and see how you like it.

I have felt a few of their putter grips though and those feel really good, almost like an Iomic.

I'm with you, after the raving review from some of the fellas here, I bought 1 pure grip to try, it was entirely too soft for me. Like holding a marshmallow. I didn't loke how it felt at all. Doesn't mean they won't work for some but they felt awful to me. If I were looking I would buy a couple different grips and put them on a couple clubs, and try them before I put them on a full set, find something you like, then put them on all the clubs.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Removed my first grip with air tonight. #Woot! This is the secret sauce right here. Take that rubber tip OFF the adapter. I'd tried it before to no avail, but with the barbed end exposed you can stuff it in the end of the grip, and Bob's Your Uncle!!IMG_5137.JPG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

My 5i came from Mizuno with a crooked MCC +4 so I thought it was the perfect test club. I didn't have solvent to inject so I just cut it off. Took me about 5 minutes to get it on, but it turned out to be easier than I expected! I used that barbed thing instead of the gun and it was a piece of cake. Thanks for all of the advice! Next up is to try it out on a driver shaft, I got the rubber thing for the vice as a precaution.

IMG_20180429_202339_638.jpg

Make sure your compressor is only set for 45 psi when doing your grips. You don't want to blow them out.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I'm kinda addicted to it now. Got my shaft installed with a Ping adapter from my Epic to see how it plays vs. the Kuro Kage, but I told my fitter/club builder to leave the grip off. Blew a Tour Velvet 360 on there just as easy as the Pure!

Before I got it over that last bit of painters tape!IMG_20180503_154149_761.jpgIMG_20180503_154149_760.jpg

I'm kinda addicted to it now. Got my shaft installed with a Ping adapter from my Epic to see how it plays vs. the Kuro Kage, but I told my fitter/club builder to leave the grip off. Blew a Tour Velvet 360 on there just as easy as the Pure!

Before I got it over that last bit of painters tape!attachicon.gifIMG_20180503_154149_761.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20180503_154149_760.jpg

What's nice about blowing grips on is if you decide to adjust your driver, it takes a minute to tweak the grip to match!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

What's nice about blowing grips on is if you decide to adjust your driver, it takes a minute to tweak the grip to match!!

Never thought of that, but that's cool to remember.

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Just tried doing grips with air. It is going to completely revolutionize my re-gripping game! It only took me 5 minutes to pull a grip off, cut it down a couple inches, and throw it back on. I have to say, it's a little addicting. I did a couple putters and a 1 iron. I plan on having some more fun once I get another chance.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Just tried doing grips with air. It is going to completely revolutionize my re-gripping game! It only took me 5 minutes to pull a grip off, cut it down a couple inches, and throw it back on. I have to say, it's a little addicting. I did a couple putters and a 1 iron. I plan on having some more fun once I get another chance.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's super addicting. I don't even really need new grips for my irons, they're less than 12 months old, but I just want to try different ones to see what's out there because it's so easy, and I can change them out without cutting them.

Minor update -- I finally got the pure "gun" from Amazon after ordering it like 15 days ago or something. I take back what I said about the barbed attachment being just as good, the Pure gun is marginally easier in my experience. I think because of the way you can lean into the grip more and put more forward pressure, it feels like that last bit of grip goes on easier. It's not mandatory by any means, but if you can get one cheap I think it's worth it now. Finished the rest of my mom's irons, gonna put one on my 8i to test the Pure Pros some more, the 5i only got pulled out of the bag once in my last 2 rounds so I haven't had many swings with it yet.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought the pure grips gun, but it did not come with the rubber nipple. Was that an aftermarket part and if so where did you get it and what did it cost?

Thanks

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I just bought the pure grips gun, but it did not come with the rubber nipple. Was that an aftermarket part and if so where did you get it and what did it cost?

Thanks

The rubber nipple was not part of the Pure Gun, it was on one of the basic compressor tools.

Okay I'm obviously doing something wrong. I got my Pure Grips gun and tried to remove an existing grip with air with no success. I squeezed some solvent into the grip and tried multiple pressures 35,45 & even 60 and no movement at all on the grip. It actually seems like no air is getting into the grip at all. Videos I've seen you can hear the air blast when they are removing the grip, with mine it almost seems like the grip is stopping the air from getting out of the gun. Any suggestions?

Thanks

If they've put on the conventional way and you don't want them, just cut them off. If you want to keep them you might want to get this: https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/vggrv/

Also, what tip at you using with the gun? The Pure one?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Yep, just cut them off.  Once you re-grip using blue painters tape, you can put on and take off grips easily.  I did manage to get a brand new putter grip off a putter once using a little solvent with the Pure gun, but there wasn't much tape underneath.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If they've put on the conventional way and you don't want them, just cut them off. If you want to keep them you might want to get this: https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/vggrv/

Also, what tip at you using with the gun? The Pure one?

Yes just the gun itself, no additional tips.

Yep, just cut them off.  Once you re-grip using blue painters tape, you can put on and take off grips easily.  I did manage to get a brand new putter grip off a putter once using a little solvent with the Pure gun, but there wasn't much tape underneath.

It's a new club, so I would like to save the grip. I've seen some OEM grips with not much tape underneath, but I think this one was meant to not come off!

It's a new club, so I would like to save the grip. I've seen some OEM grips with not much tape underneath, but I think this one was meant to not come off!

Stick a nail in the puncture the tape underneath, it can sometime take a lot of solvent, but getting them off when there is 2 sided tape isn't easy, it may be better to use the remover tool.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Stick a nail in the puncture the tape underneath, it can sometime take a lot of solvent, but getting them off when there is 2 sided tape isn't easy, it may be better to use the remover tool.

I've popped a couple off that were taped on; use about 40psi air, and just be persistent. Eventually it will “balloon” a little, and then you can start to work the grip off the club.