TESTERS WANTED! ×

Re-gripping with an air compressor

I didn't have any luck at all trying this, even with the Pure grip tool.  BTW, I'm assuming that the butt end of the grip needs to be covered with tape.  Otherwise I don't know how this could work.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

13 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

I didn't have any luck at all trying this, even with the Pure grip tool.  BTW, I'm assuming that the butt end of the grip needs to be covered with tape.  Otherwise I don't know how this could work.

It doesn't need to be, none of mine have tape on them. What went wrong?

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I always tape the butt end just so the metal doesn't end up cutting through

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:34 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

It can be done without tape like @MattF said.  I did my first grip install without tape.  Walk us through your attempt, maybe as a collective group we can help @Kor.A.Door  @BIG STU.  What psi did you have your regulator set on?  Where in the process did you run into trouble?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 3/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, Dr Strangelove said:

I've never done it without tape so I'm not positive if it's absolutely necessary. I just always wanted the tape on there so I wouldn't possibly alter the feel -- since it is meant to have tape and solvent under it if you grip by traditional method.

Think of it like an air hockey puck, how the air makes it so that the puck doesn't touch the surface so it can glide -- this process is similar. The air will fill the gap between the grip and the shaft, then it will let you move it. The key is to not "choke" the grip, or the air will not be able to fill the gaps.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I replaced my putter grip this afternoon using air. I was putting on a Super Stroke Slim Lite. Started around 30-35 psi which wasn't enough. Slowly ramped up the pressure and once I got to around 60 psi, it just slid right on. I also took the opportunity to trim the shaft about an inch since I usually have a couple fingers on my right hand down below the grip. The only tape I used was to protect the grip from my cut end (I used a tubing cutter, so it wasn't that rough). My Shot Scope sensor fits very loosely (I assume I stretched the hole a bit) so I have to figure out a way to get it more secure so I don't lose it. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

On 3/26/2019 at 2:34 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

Tape doesn't need to be on the shaft, but I recommend it.  Without tape the rubber on the inside of the grip sticks to the shaft a little too much that over time will make removal with air a little more difficult.  Tape on the end to cover the sharp edge of the shaft.

As for the method, check out the video on the Pure Grip website...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I use blue painters tape under the grip. I use 3 wraps of build up, so I actually have 4 wraps of tape on the shaft. The air is set at about 60 psi. Sometimes the tip of the grip does get sticky. So I will take some mineral spirits on the top of my finger and rub it on the inside of the tip of the grip. I may also use my finger to rub a small amount on the blue tape as well. Not enough to make it completely saturated. Just enough that it helps the grip slide on easily. Also, use short bursts of air and slowly move the grip up the shaft. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

On 3/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

What grips are you trying to put on? It doesn’t hurt to use a little bit of solvent or mineral spirits to help the grip slide and not stick. It doesn’t take a lot, I use my pinky finger and dip it into the solvent and lightly rub it on the tape and just around the tip of the grip to help it slide sometimes. 

I ended up wrapping the threads of the Shot Scope sensor with a bunch of wraps of teflon tape. Much more secure now. I hope it stays that way.

I was trying to put on Lamkin UTx.  Seems like if the butt is not covered with tape then you are just shooting air down the shaft.  The grip showed no evidence at all of expanding.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
Axis1 Rose putter

21 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

It can be done without tape like @MattF said.  I did my first grip install without tape.  Walk us through your attempt, maybe as a collective group we can help @Kor.A.Door  @BIG STU.  What psi did you have your regulator set on?  Where in the process did you run into trouble?

It seemed like I was just shooting air down the shaft. The grip was not expanding.

Axis1 Rose putter

On 3/27/2019 at 3:38 AM, MattF said:

The grip wasn't expanding.  It seemed like I was just shooting air down the shaft.  I guess I'll watch the videos again.

Axis1 Rose putter

22 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

The grip wasn't expanding.  It seemed like I was just shooting air down the shaft.  I guess I'll watch the videos again.

Since the other end of the shaft is sealed by the club head, it should inflate once the entire shaft is pressurized. One other consideration, which I ran into. The nozzle I was using has a "safety" feature which allows the air to blow out the sides if the tip gets clogged/blocked. A couple wraps of a thin strip of duct tape fixed that.

2 hours ago, Dr Strangelove said:

It seemed like I was just shooting air down the shaft. The grip was not expanding.

As @MaxEntropy said, the club becomes pressurized once the shaft fills with air.  In effect you seal the gun with the grip, there is no place for the air to go except out between the grip and the shaft.  That basically allows the grip to "float" on the shaft, and you work the grip down the shaft while giving short bursts of air.  

What are you using for an air compressor?  You need some tank capacity and 30-60 psi.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Been using the air compressor for years. It has worked for Golf Pride, Larkin, and Pure grips. I use an inexpensive nozzle inflator at 60 psi. 

I don’t use tape unless the grip will twist on the shaft after installation. Then I use blue painters tape.

If it doesn’t want to go on smoothly, I spray a little soapy water on the shaft, especially those nasty fat putter grips.

I mentioned using air to a tech at a big box store and he told me, “That will never work.”

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

On 3/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, Dr Strangelove said:

What @MaxEntropy and @Kenny B said. I don't change the settings on my compressor so it's running at 90psi...just have to be careful.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 3 weeks later...

I have Lamkin UTX grips. They are a bit stiffer than some of the other. If I have trouble I use either grip solvent or mineral spirits. (Currently I use oderless mineral spirits) and just rub a little bit on the painters tape or shaft. Hen I will take my finger and rub it into the opening of the grip, not a lot, just enough for the grip to start onto the shaft. There really isn’t a formula for what works for everyone every time, you just have to kind of work with what you have. If you are having trouble getting the grip started onto the shaft, add some type of lubricant that evaporates, just a little bit you won’t need to saturate the whole thing. 

Thank you everyone.  I'm trying it this weekend.  I think the tip about plugging the "escape holes" may do it. 

Axis1 Rose putter

It was a raging success.  Thanks everyone.  I put on a Gripmaster leather grip.  These are no easy feat, so I'm happy as a clam.

Axis1 Rose putter

I have been regripping all my clubs over the last few days.  I was having trouble getting them over the shafts, even after the tape and inside the grip were saturated.  I tried a blast of air with a nozzle and it floated the grip completely on with ease.  

Going forward I'll install all my grips this way, using the wet tape method but use the compressed air to ease them on. 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

1 hour ago, knightsofnii said:

I have been regripping all my clubs over the last few days.  I was having trouble getting them over the shafts, even after the tape and inside the grip were saturated.  I tried a blast of air with a nozzle and it floated the grip completely on with ease.  

Going forward I'll install all my grips this way, using the wet tape method but use the compressed air to ease them on. 

Was this to install the TV Plus4 grips? I'll be interested to see how they hold up for you. I just put them on the rest of my irons after testing with my 4i,8i, and 56. Kinda feels like the air might've stretched them out and that they're a lot softer than the Pure grips, so they didn't shrink back down. Might actually be good to use some actual grip tape for these when installing with air, because I can kinda twist the grips currently without it.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

10 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Was this to install the TV Plus4 grips? I'll be interested to see how they hold up for you. I just put them on the rest of my irons after testing with my 4i,8i, and 56. Kinda feels like the air might've stretched them out and that they're a lot softer than the Pure grips, so they didn't shrink back down. Might actually be good to use some actual grip tape for these when installing with air, because I can kinda twist the grips currently without it.

Yes, TV Plus 4 in medium. 

I like them so far.  Incoherent, inconclusive, illegible review rough draft complete for stage 1 🙂

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

I will say, and I need to remember to add this to the review. Medium grips are also LONGer than standard, and my tape is all in lengths for standard.  So I have had to leave about 1/4" gap from shaft end to tape beginning.  That's where the air helps. 

Previous forum tests:

• 4 weeks later...

I didn’t have an air compressor so I just used a bike tire pump with the pool toy inflator. Works just fine.

Regripping golf clubs with a bike pump

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

On 5/18/2019 at 11:05 PM, ChasingScratch said:

I didn’t have an air compressor so I just used a bike tire pump with the pool toy inflator. Works just fine.

Regripping golf clubs with a bike pump

Nice video. I originally had one of those bike pumps that plug into the car cig lighter, and that worked ok as well. I switched to the small hot dog compressor from Harbor Freight, and I bought the pure grips nozzle. 

This is a good idea to regrip. If you want to build up wraps under the grip, the blue painters 2” works perfectly. I’ve been playing with no 2 sided tape now for a couple years and have never had a grip slip, and I play year round in all weather conditions, rain, cold, hot, humid, and nice. 

Nice video. I originally had one of those bike pumps that plug into the car cig lighter, and that worked ok as well. I switched to the small hot dog compressor from Harbor Freight, and I bought the pure grips nozzle. 
This is a good idea to regrip. If you want to build up wraps under the grip, the blue painters 2” works perfectly. I’ve been playing with no 2 sided tape now for a couple years and have never had a grip slip, and I play year round in all weather conditions, rain, cold, hot, humid, and nice. 

It’s also a good idea if someone wants to buy a few different grips to see which one they like best, rather than buying a full set and then having to tear them off if they don’t like them.

This way, you try one on a few irons and if you don’t like it just blow it off and sell it.

I have yet to have one slip or twist on me either.

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

11 hours ago, ChasingScratch said:

It’s also a good idea if someone wants to buy a few different grips to see which one they like best, rather than buying a full set and then having to tear them off if they don’t like them.

This way, you try one on a few irons and if you don’t like it just blow it off and sell it.

I have yet to have one slip or twist on me either.

I like it for adding build up tape. I will use 3-4 wraps of build up to eat the feel I am looking for. So I usually start with 3, then play a round or 2 and see if I need to add another or remove one. It takes 3 minutes or less to change it out, no mess, and he grip is ready as soon as I am done. 

Yea I wanted to try 4 extra wraps at the bottom of my grips - already playing midsized winn dri tec grips - I've used air now for about 5 years.  Love it.  I even made a small tool to remove grips installed the traditional way - I can wet it a little with grip solution, slide it up under the grip, add more and work it down to the bottom and then around and just pull the grip off.  Then clean up the shaft, install my grips with air and then either hold onto grips for friends that don't care what kind etc or sell the set online.  OR keep the grip in case you want to sell a club but don't want to loose a nice winn, leather, special edition grip - So far I'm 100% in removing traditional grips using my method and I use full max pressure on my compressor - 120psi, never blown a grip out but then again I can feather the button so its not full blast all the time.

I'm glad the guy got it to work because its one of the best ways to install a grip.  I tend to wear down my left hand thumb area on the grip first - I can rotate the grip 90 degrees so I cannot see or feel the wear spot - the entire grip feels new again.  *this only happens with winn grips because they're so soft.  People think rubber lasts longer and I always say it doesn't - it looks better longer but it doesn't mean you shouldn't change them every year.  I hate doing a guys grips who hasn't changed them since the 90's because the rubber disintegrates as you try to remove it and your left pulling tiny pieces off stuck to the shaft.  I'll tell those guys take it to a shop hahaha.  I've even been at a tournament where this place had an air compressor right as you entered a locker room to blow debris off your shoes - well I thought, with that nozzle I can adjust grips - and I did LOL people looked at me crazy but interested.

You don't even need a special nozzle to blow grips on or off - as long as its pointy enough to get into the small hole at the end you're good to go.  I always wonder what the big box stores think when they do a grip job on a club I re-gripped last - no grip tape! WTF. LOL.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag