Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Re-gripping with an air compressor

On 9/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, tjyorke said:

Have not read all this but I do this allot. Make sure you have something to go over shaft and grip incase they blow and they can! I already know some grips will come off and some won't, dual cords are brutal they get stuck in the thumb area and thin grips are dangerous they can blow. start with solvent down the top put your safety device over it , use small amount of air and wiggle top of the grip and work down. I got cut in the wrist and leg once with one exploding.  Be careful . Some grips are a breeze on and off with ease. 

Yep, they're loud too! Ears were ringing for a good while after I had a MCC burst on me (they burst right where the cord joins the rubber, and leave a pretty good welt too!)

Lessons learned: Warm grips first, V hot water for 5 mins is good. Roll the grip up the shaft and back again as far as you can a couple of times, roll back to normal before using air. I now use a 18" tube of PVC plumbing pipe as a sleeve over the grip, being so narrow,  just wider than the fattest part of the grip, it stops blow outs or "bubbles" forming that ruin grips. 

My mixed bag

• :titelist-small: TS2 Matrix Ozik Black Tie XS
  • :callaway-small:Rogue 3W MCA C6 Blue Stiff, + 1/2"
  • :titelist-small:816 19º Hybrid Aldilia Tour Green S +1/2"
  • :mizuno-small:JPX 919Forged 4&5 919 Tour 6-PW Project X LZ 6.0 +1/2" 1º Upright. 
  • :vokey-small: SM8 50º Project x LZ 6.0 +3/4"
  • :cleveland-small:RTX 4&ZipCore 54º 60º wedge Flex +3/4"
  • Scott Readman Concepts IKBII (Google them - they are amazing) 
  • :titelist-small: left dash -ProV1X or :srixon-small: Z Star XV

• 4 weeks later...

I just used the air compressor to put on my new grips but I also used the two sided tape and the solvent I think it took maybe 20 seconds to put one grip on it was great will always use the air compressor to put grips on 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I really need to learn how to regrip my own clubs, I’ve got an air compressor and a work bench

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

3 hours ago, TBT said:

I really need to learn how to regrip my own clubs, I’ve got an air compressor and a work bench

The video on the Pure Grips website shows how to do it.  The air nozzle they use is very nice but not really necessary; however, I use it and like it.  Had it for years now.

Don't really need to use Pure Grips; most others work fine, but I've used Pure DTX for years.  They last more than a year.

Hardest part is getting the old grips and tape off.  When you put blue painters tape on a clean shaft, the next time you change grips, they just blow off.

The other feature is if you want to try out a different grip, you can blow the grip off, install new one, then go back to the old one if you want without destroying it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, TBT said:

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I just googled it and found a bunch of videos ... I know of a couple of people on this thread had problems with grips blowing up but I didn’t have that problem at all went on smooth 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

On 1/19/2021 at 5:22 AM, Nolan220 said:

I just googled it and found a bunch of videos ... I know of a couple of people on this thread had problems with grips blowing up but I didn’t have that problem at all went on smooth 

I have never had a grip blow up.  Shouldn't be a problem if you use painter's tape and very short bursts of air like they say in the video.  I suppose if the grip is stuck and you used a long burst of air, it can happen.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

39 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I have never had a grip blow up.  Shouldn't be a problem if you use painter's tape and very short bursts of air like they say in the video.  I suppose if the grip is stuck and you used a long burst of air, it can happen.

yep I did the short burst and it worked great .. also this was my first time so I was extra careful .. at one point the grip did shoot off but once I got the hang of it grips were going on easily. 

• 2 months later...

I just installed a few grips using an air for the first time last night. I can’t believe how easy if was. I will never go back to tape and solvent again. I just wish I would have tried it sooner. I got so excited to try it on my new driver shaft that I forgot to trim it to length first. Lol. No problem there now, just blew it off quick, trimmed to my playing length, and blew it back on. So frickin’ awesome. 🤯

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

18 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I just installed a few grips using an air for the first time last night. I can’t believe how easy if was. I will never go back to tape and solvent again. I just wish I would have tried it sooner. I got so excited to try it on my new driver shaft that I forgot to trim it to length first. Lol. No problem there now, just blew it off quick, trimmed to my playing length, and blew it back on. So frickin’ awesome. 🤯

Ah, converting people one at a time, I love it!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, MattF said:

Ah, converting people one at a time, I love it!

Lol. Part of the reason I was a late adapter was the compressor. I have had a portable air tank for years but not a compressor. I just happen across a portable Dewalt Booster Pack/Air Compressor from my local hardware store on sale and couldn’t resist anymore. This thing is perfect for grips. I set it to 60psi, pull the trigger of my grip gun, and hit start. It slowly builds up pressure while I keeps some pressure on the grip and just wait for it to slip right on.  I bet I have yet to actually get to 60psi and see no way I could blow out a grip with this thing. 

0C5654BB-C2D4-49B6-91F1-549623EB9285.png

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

10 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

Lol. Part of the reason I was a late adapter was the compressor. I have had a portable air tank for years but not a compressor. I just happen across a portable Dewalt Booster Pack/Air Compressor from my local hardware store on sale and couldn’t resist anymore. This thing is perfect for grips. I set it to 60psi, pull the trigger of my grip gun, and hit start. It slowly builds up pressure while I keeps some pressure on the grip and just wait for it to slip right on.  I bet I have yet to actually get to 60psi and see no way I could blow out a grip with this thing. 

0C5654BB-C2D4-49B6-91F1-549623EB9285.png

How about a DIY video of this little guy in action?  I presume you have a lever/trigger air nozzle that jams into the end hole?  I've never done my own re-gripping but definitely want to get set-up to do so.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

16 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

How about a DIY video of this little guy in action?  I presume you have a lever/trigger air nozzle that jams into the end hole?  I've never done my own re-gripping but definitely want to get set-up to do so.

I will try to get something put together this weekend for those interested.  

I do have a gun that I got off eBay. The Dewalt Booster/Compressor hose isn’t very long so I just purchased one of them small coil hoses for an extension. 
Here is the gun. 

EED28521-5A4B-4C79-9FB4-517C8DF65A43.jpeg

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

You definitely need to do it!

Want to try a different grip?  Buy one, blow off on of your grips, blow the new one on.  If you don't like it, you can put the old one back on.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good fortune getting old taped ones off. If they plug the shaft with some tape originally and the air can get trapped, most will come right off. You can also spray some acetone based degreaser up in there prior to blowing.

Any trouble in blowing off grips installed the traditional method? I'd like to save them if possible..

Tazz

Sent from my Pixel 4 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:wilson_staff_small: Triton 10.5 degree regular flex
:taylormade-small: R580 3 & 5 stiff flex 
1700984641_Screenshot2021-02-09at1_22_31PM.png.826d2fd278c265f02c50f581ec750bf5.png Inazone Single Length 4H
:cobra-small: 5i-SW Cobra Fmax ONE Length regular flex steel
:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 
:ping-small: 2021 Hoofer 

image.jpeg.f0b1d1d2bc3b2ec6880dd6c9a3b096e9.jpeg   image.jpeg.231a9c2f1e7b1dc46388ceac1039351a.jpeg     image.png.32ebfd5998dc591ff68ab71bb6d09b08.png

Hey all.  This thread has my attention and interest in setting up to do my own re-gripping.  I started looking at the various options and found this DIY video.  I may still buy a small air compressor for other home use but, always one looking for the best bang for the buck, I have a similar 12V/120V tire inflator that has the cone nozzle.  Anyone tried this?

He then does another video showing the use of a PVC pipe to protect against bubbling - and for use on removing grips installed the "regular way".  I presume regular way is with solvent and tape?  How can one tell which method was used for the install?  I suppose just using the PVC pipe in all cases makes that a mute issue?

I may swing buy the second hand store and pick up a "get out of the rocks" iron to serve as a test case...none of my current clubs need new grips.

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hey all.  This thread has my attention and interest in setting up to do my own re-gripping.  I started looking at the various options and found this DIY video.  I may still buy a small air compressor for other home use but, always one looking for the best bang for the buck, I have a similar 12V/120V tire inflator that has the cone nozzle.  Anyone tried this?

He then does another video showing the use of a PVC pipe to protect against bubbling - and for use on removing grips installed the "regular way".  I presume regular way is with solvent and tape?  How can one tell which method was used for the install?  I suppose just using the PVC pipe in all cases makes that a mute issue?

I may swing buy the second hand store and pick up a "get out of the rocks" iron to serve as a test case...none of my current clubs need new grips.

Ooops I completely blanked the video. Sorry about that I got so caught up in actually getting to play that I spaced the video. I will get one put together this weekend for sure. 

• 4 months later...

I have been re-gripping my own clubs for several years now.  I used the grip tape and solvent. I am looking forward to trying it this way. 

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Pure is offering the air gun for free with the purchase of a custom set of grips, offer ends 8/22. https://www.puregrips.com/

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, completed my first DIY regripping project this afternoon.  Easy, beezy, lemon-squeezy!  I replaced the standard size TV360 on my driver, 3w and 5w with the midsize.  I was careful using the hook knife not to slice into the shaft scrim layer.. managed that successfully. The 3w and 5w were the original OEM grips and had spiral tape below.  Those came off quite readily.  The driver shaft took a little more time but not too bad.

I used Blue Painter tape (1.88 width) to make the one wrap and it works perfect at covering the entire circumference without overlap or gap. One of the DIY videos on changing grips with compressed air showed using a tiny bit of grip solvent to aid the process.  I set the regulator to 40 psi and, using short bursts, slid the grip on.  Upon inspection, I noted that it could be twisted a little... No Bueno.

So, I used the air pistol and slid it right back off.  I removed/replace the tape and blew out the grip to dry any residual solvent.  The second install was much better but it still could be twisted towards the butt end.  So, I moved onto the 5w but did not use the solvent... ROCK SOLID and it was not difficult to move into position.  Repeated that wit the driver and it too was good.  So, I grab one of the other grips and re-did the 3w again... perfect.

Now, perhaps the solvent would have eventually evaporated and it would have been fine but my lesson learned is not to use grip solvent - it's not needed.

The GP Align TV midsize (same ones on the new ZX5's) were supposed to have arrived today but didn't.  I'm going to change the original PING ID8 grip on my 56/12 to match the set as I'm loving the new grips.  That will require a little more care getting the "align feature" in the correct position, but using air makes things super easy.

Lastly, I have to mention how crazy quiet the new compressor is.  I opted for the Harbor Freight Fortress, 2 gal/135psi unit (vs. the 1 gal) and it is really well constructed, works great... and really quiet.  If you hate the noise most of the pancake models create, here is the answer 👍.

PXL_20210904_155920987.jpg.7490ae67c7fb09cdf5f672b6ed113669.jpg

I forgot to ask those of you who do the air compressor method if any particular brand of tape is preferred?  I used a brand new roll of ACE Hardware Blue Painter Tape; which just happened to be what I had in our "paint supplies" box.  

I hope that this suggestion isn't TOO radical for My Golf Spy,

but I've discovered the BEST way to re-grip golf clubs.

Leave the clubs at the pro shop and tell them which grips that you want installed.

Over decades, I have NEVER run into a problem employing this method!

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I forgot to ask those of you who do the air compressor method if any particular brand of tape is preferred?  I used a brand new roll of ACE Hardware Blue Painter Tape; which just happened to be what I had in our "paint supplies" box.  

I don't think it matters. I don't use tape, my grips go on nekkid.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I was a distributor for Pure for years and yes the compressor is the way to go.  Home depot, Lowes, Sam's Club or Costco all will have the small compressors.  Mine ramps up to 100 psi  and makes regripping  very easy.  Good luck with it and I would recommend buying the Pure gripping tool.  Pricey but excellent.

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

Well, I was setting up to install the GP Align midsize grip on my Glide 2.0 wedge and noted that the stock PING wedge grip is about 1" longer...🤔

127602515_pingwedgegrip.jpg.84b93fb173552d0e58cdf565b0231d53.jpg

A quick search and I now see that these are "Dyla-Wedge" grips - an extra length grip offering the ability to choke down if desired.  They also have a less tapered foregrip section.

I grabbed my ZX5 AW with the GP Align and did a little choke down swing test comparison.  I guess I don't find myself choking down that often or much and don't see it as an issue.  The new PW and AW feel great, so I'm just going with it... but it did cause me to stop and rethink the plan...  learn something new everyday 😄.

I am going to install with compressed air and a couple of the DIY's suggest it's not as easy to get the align feature, well, aligned using this method.  I'm up for the challenge and will report back with the results.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:53 AM, fixyurdivot said:

I don't think it matters. My last roll was Scotch Blue.  

Another point... I like to replace the tape when I regrip, but I go 18-24 months before I regrip with Pure Grips.  I didn't replace the tape when I first changed my grips, and the next time the tape was a little hard and more difficult to remove.  So, I go fresh tape each time.

Well, I can see where the solvent method has a little advantage over the compressed air when installing the "reminder" or newer external Align feature grips.  The install went fine but did require a couple of nudges with the air gun to get the align feature nice and straight. The solvent allows you to twist and turn for a bit until it sets up.  Doable with air, just a bit more clumsy as you have to be managing the air gun.

Before I removed the PING installed grip, I put a magic marker line, in-line with their factory position.  The DIY videos discuss getting the feature in proper alignment with the clubs leading edge, but I can see where this can be a bit guess-work.  For those of you who do lots of installs with align or reminder feature grips, any tricks in assuring one gets the correct clocking position?

It just takes a little practice with the compressor.  Now I use grips that don't require tape so the alignment process is a snap.  I use Pure grips, Star grips or Tacki Mac none of which require tape plus they are all made here in the good old USA!!

WITB:

Driver - Callaway BB Alpha 9* Kuro Kage 50g. Reg. Shaft - 45"

3 Wood - Callaway X-Hot 3 Deep Pro 14.5* Project X 5.5

5 Wood - Callaway XR 19* Project X 5.5

3 - 5 Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Hybrids 18*, 22*, & 25* w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft

6 - PW - Callaway Apex w/ AeroTech i80 SteelFiber Reg. Shaft - Standard length & lofts 

GW, SW & LW - Hogan TK - 49*, 54* & 58* - KBS fst - Wedge flex

Putter - Ping - Mid Ketsch Heavy - 33"

On 9/7/2021 at 3:49 PM, fixyurdivot said:

For those of you who do lots of installs with align or reminder feature grips, any tricks in assuring one gets the correct clocking position?

I blew on a SuperStroke grip on my putter (alignment mattered, to get the flat side perpendicular to the face) and a regular SuperStroke grip on my SW and Driver that has a faux seam on the back side (the OCD in me meant alignment mattered). Assuming you have the club secured in a vice or similar, just "puff" air into the grip and gently rotate until you are satisfied with the alignment. If it turns out a little off, put it back in the vice and tweak until you are satisfied. Gentle puffs of air make it pretty easy to rotate into position.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Gentle puffs of air make it pretty easy to rotate into position.

Yea, gentle puffs being key to the air install.  Fortunately I looked at a handful of DIY videos and fellow spy posts saved me from what no doubt many first timers experience 😲.  I also found myself holding the grip too far forward after getting it started - choking off the air flow.  Then, not realizing the nozzle/stinger had butted itself against the end of the shaft and not allowing further advance of the grip 😄.  

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Yea, gentle puffs being key to the air install.  Fortunately I looked at a handful of DIY videos and fellow spy posts saved me from what no doubt many first timers experience 😲.  I also found myself holding the grip too far forward after getting it started - choking off the air flow.  Then, not realizing the nozzle/stinger had butted itself against the end of the shaft and not allowing further advance of the grip 😄.  

Now you got it!!  Next time it's a piece of cake.