Jiro

Re-gripping with an air compressor

Yea I wanted to try 4 extra wraps at the bottom of my grips - already playing midsized winn dri tec grips - I've used air now for about 5 years.  Love it.  I even made a small tool to remove grips installed the traditional way - I can wet it a little with grip solution, slide it up under the grip, add more and work it down to the bottom and then around and just pull the grip off.  Then clean up the shaft, install my grips with air and then either hold onto grips for friends that don't care what kind etc or sell the set online.  OR keep the grip in case you want to sell a club but don't want to loose a nice winn, leather, special edition grip - So far I'm 100% in removing traditional grips using my method and I use full max pressure on my compressor - 120psi, never blown a grip out but then again I can feather the button so its not full blast all the time.
I'm glad the guy got it to work because its one of the best ways to install a grip.  I tend to wear down my left hand thumb area on the grip first - I can rotate the grip 90 degrees so I cannot see or feel the wear spot - the entire grip feels new again.  *this only happens with winn grips because they're so soft.  People think rubber lasts longer and I always say it doesn't - it looks better longer but it doesn't mean you shouldn't change them every year.  I hate doing a guys grips who hasn't changed them since the 90's because the rubber disintegrates as you try to remove it and your left pulling tiny pieces off stuck to the shaft.  I'll tell those guys take it to a shop hahaha.  I've even been at a tournament where this place had an air compressor right as you entered a locker room to blow debris off your shoes - well I thought, with that nozzle I can adjust grips - and I did LOL people looked at me crazy but interested.
You don't even need a special nozzle to blow grips on or off - as long as its pointy enough to get into the small hole at the end you're good to go.  I always wonder what the big box stores think when they do a grip job on a club I re-gripped last - no grip tape! WTF. LOL.

Exactly! It’s so convenient and smart. When I sold some clubs these past few months I had basically brand new grips on. Once they sold I just blew the grips off (I told the buyers that they would come without grips).

Can you share a picture of the home made tool you built?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Surely I will once I get home. Not really home made. Compressor came with two attachments a tire pump and a nozzle type inflator I believe one would use on some inflatables lol but it works fine for this purpose too. I had to cover up the blow out holes with good ole duct tape. I’ll take a photo when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Surely I will once I get home. Not really home made. Compressor came with two attachments a tire pump and a nozzle type inflator I believe one would use on some inflatables lol but it works fine for this purpose too. I had to cover up the blow out holes with good ole duct tape. I’ll take a photo when I get home.  

Ah, I thought you said you home made a tool.

IMG_3578.PNG.63c7d5795b0507821afdfc1e4504d7c4.PNG

Here’s the air compressor nozzle
IMG_0078.jpg

Here’s the tool I made.
IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

• Like 3

Here’s the tool I made.

IMG_0078.thumb.jpg.7bd666cfc8d0c0bb8c42e7107e744d7b.jpg

IMG_0078.thumb.jpg.8eada3ff080836aaf208007ea4b76480.jpg

So you pump the grip with air and use the tool to slide it off?

If just grabbed by and and slid it off before. Is the tool easier than just taking it off by hand?

So you pump the grip with air and use the tool to slide it off?

If just grabbed by and and slid it off before. Is the tool easier than just taking it off by hand?

I believe he is talking about using this tool to remove grips installed with double sided grip tape.

I actually bought this one from golfworks. New-GolfWorks-V-Groove-Grip-Remover-Gripping-Tool.jpeg
After using it a few times and getting the hang of it, it takes less than a minute to remove most grips. Some stubborn ones can take a little longer but I haven't come across one yet that didn't eventually come off. I don't have an air compressor but this works well enough for me.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Yea I don’t use the tool with an air compressor. I use the tool to remove grips installed using standard double sided grip tape. I didn’t want to buy a tool for 20 or more dollars so a piece of steel for $3 and some time on the grinder to thin it out, refine the shape. Real easy.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 9:03 PM, B81Smith said:

Here’s the air compressor nozzle
IMG_0078.jpg

I used to use this nozzle. One thing you have to be careful of with this o e is that if you push too hard when installing, you can split the butt of the grip.