Re-gripping with an air compressor

Our Sponsors

Has anyone had any practice removing the arccos connnect grips with the embedded sensor?  I need to get the sensor out and remove the grip.  Any tips/ideas? 

Yup, all you need is a heat gun/hair dryer and a cheap pick tool (I got a 3 pack of them at harbor freight for $2).

IMG_2258.thumb.JPG.e53412589eee7463d3032dfa17b34b56.JPG

Heat up the cap of the grip (point the sensor away from the heat source), this slightly softens the material. Don’t overdo it.

IMG_2259.thumb.JPG.8ba82b6839972f18d98d12c2815ce894.JPG

Insert your pick tool, pokey end away from the battery in the sensor.

IMG_2261.thumb.JPG.4ec1c8a95fb3d3a29cdbe136fff78bf1.JPG

Work your way under one side of the sensor by keeping the pokey end of the pick pointed away from the sensor. Once you’ve worked your way under the sensor, turn the pick tool and gently lift the sensor out. Once one side comes out the sensor will pop out easily!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This past week I setup my new gripping station and thought I'd share a few pics. I purchased my setup from Maltby. I also got a new compressor. Wednesday evening I put everything to the test and regr

So I did a little experiment tonight with a couple putters. I needed to take one off and put a new one on. So I have this old bike tire pump mad by Schwinn, it's the kind that plugs into the 12v recei

Just tried doing grips with air. It is going to completely revolutionize my re-gripping game! It only took me 5 minutes to pull a grip off, cut it down a couple inches, and throw it back on. I have to

Posted Images

So I was in the air compressor camp for the last 1-2 years since I first tried it. I love how easy it is to put on/remove grips however I was finding that my grips were twisting. Bought a roll of golfworks double-sided tape and some odorless mineral spirits and regripped 2 of my clubs today and was amazed to find out that it was just as easy. Not sure why I was so intimidated by the traditional method before! I think I'll personally be doing the tape/solvent route for my own clubs, but it'll be cool to blow grips on when trying them out for the first time, if they're able to be installed that way.

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 58.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

8 hours ago, yungkory said:

So I was in the air compressor camp for the last 1-2 years since I first tried it. I love how easy it is to put on/remove grips however I was finding that my grips were twisting. Bought a roll of golfworks double-sided tape and some odorless mineral spirits and regripped 2 of my clubs today and was amazed to find out that it was just as easy. Not sure why I was so intimidated by the traditional method before! I think I'll personally be doing the tape/solvent route for my own clubs, but it'll be cool to blow grips on when trying them out for the first time, if they're able to be installed that way.

I'm just too lazy to buy a compressor. I had to remove 3 grips yesterday from my wedges and they were using the double sided tape. With the right tool, removing them only took 2mins per grip.

So I'll stick with solvent and tape as well.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I bought a grip saving tool, its like a long thin blade (probably a bad description, it's not sharp at all on any edge). You use it to get solvent in an existing grip and then you work the device in and can save an existing grip. Have pulled probably about 20 grips so far without damaging. A regular iron grip I can pull in less than a minute for reuse. The fat putter grips take a bit longer.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I prefer air because the grips are way easier to pull and reuse. I’m too much of a gear ho to stick with any particular combination of head shaft and grip long enough to wear out grips, so air works for me.

I’ve tried the grip saver method before going to air but found it was impossible to completely get rid of all the tiny bits of tape that would cling to inside of the grip and cause little bumps and ridges when I would reinstall. It drove me crazy.

• Like 2

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I bought a grip saving tool, its like a long thin blade (probably a bad description, it's not sharp at all on any edge). You use it to get solvent in an existing grip and then you work the device in and can save an existing grip. Have pulled probably about 20 grips so far without damaging. A regular iron grip I can pull in less than a minute for reuse. The fat putter grips take a bit longer.

Just as a bragged about my ability to take off grips, just lost two 😑. Iomic grips are thing I guess.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Has anyone had any practice removing the arccos connnect grips with the embedded sensor?  I need to get the sensor out and remove the grip.  Any tips/ideas? 

Yup, had to remove my Arccos grips on my F8 Woods so I could install the Shotscope tags...just removed the grips with my cutter tool(razor sharp with a hook on the end).

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra King F8(10.5*) w/ Mitdubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 LW(58*) w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

On 6/27/2020 at 4:51 PM, Grit Golf said:

Yup, all you need is a heat gun/hair dryer and a cheap pick tool (I got a 3 pack of them at harbor freight for $2).

IMG_2258.thumb.JPG.e53412589eee7463d3032dfa17b34b56.JPG

Heat up the cap of the grip (point the sensor away from the heat source), this slightly softens the material. Don’t overdo it.

IMG_2259.thumb.JPG.8ba82b6839972f18d98d12c2815ce894.JPG

Insert your pick tool, pokey end away from the battery in the sensor.

IMG_2261.thumb.JPG.4ec1c8a95fb3d3a29cdbe136fff78bf1.JPG

Work your way under one side of the sensor by keeping the pokey end of the pick pointed away from the sensor. Once you’ve worked your way under the sensor, turn the pick tool and gently lift the sensor out. Once one side comes out the sensor will pop out easily!

This is awesome, thank you!!  I’ve got to get a pick tool, but will do shortly.  Have you had any luck removing or installing the connect grips themselves? 

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue 
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

This is awesome, thank you!!  I’ve got to get a pick tool, but will do shortly.  Have you had any luck removing or installing the connect grips themselves? 

The connect grips remove just like any other grip.

If you want to reuse the grip, I use a grip removal tool (like this one: https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-v-groove-grip-remover/p/vggrv/?country=US?country=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhazm1vOl6gIVR9bACh2XtwpiEAQYASABEgJ-HPD_BwE ) and purell. Purell stays in a gel form and does not run all over the place the way mineral spirits does. It’s also Covid-19 friendly and not as dangerous from a health perspective.

One note about the Lamkin crossline cobra connect grips, if you install and uninstall them with air, watch your psi, they get a bit “bulgy” if you overdo it, their fingerprint tech grips have a softer feel and can bulge out.

If you don’t reuse, just put the sensor aside and cut the buggers off.

They install exactly like any other grip, you can use tape and mineral spirits, or use air (watch your psi), or take it to the pro shop and pay em $3 a grip!

• Like 1