Re-gripping with an air compressor

Our Sponsors

Just get a propane torch and go over the tape for 30 seconds to get the adhesive warm and the tape comes right off. Problem solved

Chris

Thanks Chris.....I'm getting ready to do some re-gripping.

• Like 2

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This past week I setup my new gripping station and thought I'd share a few pics. I purchased my setup from Maltby. I also got a new compressor. Wednesday evening I put everything to the test and regr

So I did a little experiment tonight with a couple putters. I needed to take one off and put a new one on. So I have this old bike tire pump mad by Schwinn, it's the kind that plugs into the 12v recei

Just tried doing grips with air. It is going to completely revolutionize my re-gripping game! It only took me 5 minutes to pull a grip off, cut it down a couple inches, and throw it back on. I have to

Posted Images

Run it at 75-80psi with a pvc pipe just larger than the grip acting like a housing around the grip - this will allow you to confidently blow grips off without worrying about popping them. I have an 8 gal Kobalt compressor from lowes. Great for blasting, airbrushing, grip work, air hammering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

3 Wood: PingLogo1_zps9tkzkolg.gif G Series 15* Tour 75g; S-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Wedges: Vokey-Design-Wedges1_zpsf6xkz8xp.png 50* 54* 58* SM5, K Grind 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

The hair dryer won't get hot enough to remove the shafts. I only use it to help remove the old tape after you remove the a grip. Hearing the old tape up help it come off the shaft much easier.

I always use my torch to remove the heads. You just have to move the flame around. It only takes about 15-20 seconds of heat with a torch. (I use scotchbrite to remove burn marks if I get some on the hosel), if you are removing a graphite shaft, it's more important to have a shaft puller for that since you don't want to twist the head with a graphite shaft it will break the shaft fibers.

Oh I wasn't planning on using the hair dryer for removing shafts. I've got my my torch for that. My torch is sort of a piece of junk though so that's why I wanted a heat gun. Although I guess I could just get a new torch just as easily too and use the hair dryer for the grip tape. So many options!

• Like 1

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ Diamana Ahina 80X 44"
Fairway Metal- Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 3W 13* w/ Matrix 7m4 X 42.5"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP-18 FLI HI 3i and 4i w/ KBS C-taper lite X
          Mizuno MP59 5i and 6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 56* bent to 55* w/ rifle spinner shafts

and Titleist Vokey 60* M grind

Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B XS

Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Thoughts on this technique.

https://youtu.be/qd3Qzz3m4cg

I think even I can do this lol

Tazz

• Like 2
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Yes you can Tazz, I have been doing it for quite a few years.  I set my air compressor at 45 pounds and have never had any trouble getting grips on nor have I had one explode on me. 

• Like 1

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball - :Snell: MTB-X

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

Check out my 2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag Review here  

I have done it at 35 LBS for years and have never had any problems and I do not use the PVC pipe either. If you are a cheapskate like me it works good. I find so many clubs and experiment a lot with the old stuff that I just blow grips on and off. LOL if I had to buy grips for every club I experiment with I would go broke. Also 35 lbs will not stretch the grip. I have some grips I know have been on and off at least 20 times or more. BTW I have a older big compressor from the old race car shop that will shoot 150 lbs but I use a regulator down to 35 PSI. 

• Like 4

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

I have done it at 35 LBS for years and have never had any problems and I do not use the PVC pipe either. If you are a cheapskate like me it works good. I find so many clubs and experiment a lot with the old stuff that I just blow grips on and off. LOL if I had to buy grips for every club I experiment with I would go broke. Also 35 lbs will not stretch the grip. I have some grips I know have been on and off at least 20 times or more. BTW I have a older big compressor from the old race car shop that will shoot 150 lbs but I use a regulator down to 35 PSI.

Any trouble in blowing off grips installed the traditional method?

I'd like to save them if possible..

Tazz

• Like 1
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Will one of the small tire pumping compressors work? I can get one of those for $35.00. If not, I will get a 3 gal. pancake compressor.

I use the small tire pumping compressor and it works just fine. No trouble getting them on or off and the only one that I have blown out was when trying to remove one that had been put on with double sided tape ( note: it doesn't come off easily at all but if I was going to try again I would use the pvc pipe trick.)

If your're doing a lot of them maybe invest it better equipment - but for doing a few sets a couple of times a year - it is not necessary. Spend it on more clubs?

• Like 2

I use the small tire pumping compressor and it works just fine. No trouble getting them on or off and the only one that I have blown out was when trying to remove one that had been put on with double sided tape ( note: it doesn't come off easily at all but if I was going to try again I would use the pvc pipe trick.)

If your're doing a lot of them maybe invest it better equipment - but for doing a few sets a couple of times a year - it is not necessary. Spend it on more clubs?

Yeah I guess I'm referencing blowing grips with the normal grip tape underneath. I was wondering what I'm doing wrong that I can't get any sign of movement at less than 65/70 psi

Driver: TM%20LOGO1_zpsiu5rjvgi.png Burner Superfast TP 9* Fuji TS Evolution II Speeder; X-Flex

Irons: callaway-logo1_zpshbc6azir.png2016 APEX MB 3-PW; KBS Tour; S-Flex; 1/2" Long, 1* upright 

Putter: betti%20loho1_zpszxuq88tc.png Bettinardi SS9 DASS Prototype/Hexperimental

Tazz

I have found it difficult to save grips put on using tape.  It can be done but it takes patience.  Grips put on with the 3/4" tape and wound onto the shaft are easier to blow off than ones put on with the conventional 2 inch tape.  If you put grip solvent in the hole on the end of the grip and apply air pressure slowly, the solvent will work it's way around the tape.  It takes time so I just cut them off.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I don't use tape when I install mine, but I understand those of you that wrap. If I did wrap, I'd use masking tape.

• Like 2

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Tazz

I am only able to save about 30 percent of them, if I decided to up the pressure and add a piece of PVC to my process I might save more but once I establish a working routine I am reluctant to change. 

I don't use tape when I install mine, but I understand those of you that wrap. If I did wrap, I'd use masking tape.

I like the blue painters tape, I use it for grip build up and always tape the end of the shaft, especially on putters.  The metal shaft will cut a nice round hole in the end of the grip, don't ask how I know, haha. 

• Like 4

I like the blue painters tape, I use it for grip build up and always tape the end of the shaft, especially on putters.  The metal shaft will cut a nice round hole in the end of the grip, don't ask how I know, haha. 

Same here.  Blue painter's tape is great for buildup and the grips blow on and off easily.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yeah I guess I'm referencing blowing grips with the normal grip tape underneath. I was wondering what I'm doing wrong that I can't get any sign of movement at less than 65/70 psi

Xstiff, what I have read up on is to poke a hole in he tape through the hole in the end of the grip. Then squirt some solvent inside, then use short bursts of air, and twist the grip to work the solvent until the grip is loose from the tape then it should come off. I just did a YouTube look up up for changing a grip using air. You should be able to find a video that shows it pretty well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Xstiff, what I have read up on is to poke a hole in he tape through the hole in the end of the grip. Then squirt some solvent inside, then use short bursts of air, and twist the grip to work the solvent until the grip is loose from the tape then it should come off. I just did a YouTube look up up for changing a grip using air. You should be able to find a video that shows it pretty well.

Thx Kor

Don't get me wrong, there are grips that can't be blown off, and I've popped more than my share but with the pvc sheath and 75 psi it's pretty mindless to blow putter grips worth saving off. Once enough air is in the Grip it just fires back against you and if you let it, it'll slide right off the shaft

• Like 1

So there is no slipping if the grip is installed over masking tape? It seems like the grip would take more of a "bite" on a clean steel shaft? 

According to Pure, it doesn't matter.  I need wraps and the grip seals just fine.  

• Like 1

So I did a little experiment tonight with a couple putters. I needed to take one off and put a new one on. So I have this old bike tire pump mad by Schwinn, it's the kind that plugs into the 12v receiver in your car, I needed to take the grip off which had 2 sided tape, I was able to squirt some solvent in the end then turned on the pump, it took a few second but the air blew through and grip loosened up and cam right off no problems. So I put one wrap of masking tape, then put a little solvent on my finger tip and just kind of wiped the opening of the grip to help get it started on the shaft. Then just turned on the pump and the grip slipped right on. I don' t think you need more than 20-30 psi to do this. I will be going to Walmart or harbor freight to buy one that plugs into the wall, but you dont need a huge pump to do this. This is going to make changing grips soooo much easier. Even with this tiny pump it took 10 seconds to put the grip on. I wish I would have realized it was his easy earlier. So much less mess, and so much more simple.

• Like 8

Lefties are always in their Right Mind