TESTERS WANTED! ×

Describe Your Warmup?

Sschaffer24

I usually clean my clubs the night before, then get to the course around 50 minutes early. Putt for about 10 minutes, chip for around 5, then hit balls, starting with pitches and going 60*, 54*, 50*, 9, 7, 4, 3 Hybrid, 3 wood, driver, then to end hitting 3 tee shots with whatever club im going to use on the first hole, then i finish up on the putting green, using one ball and reading each putt, along with lining myself up and using my Pre-shot routine for a little final prep on the greens

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things first, I'm all about routine, to the point where I'd rather play 15 holes and be fully prepped then just hop in a cart and go. Second, I don't understand why people post jokes on here when someone asks a serious question.

Anyway, I maintain the same routine for any round of golf I play. Everything from tourneys to charity scrambles. As a scratch player I can't stand not being prepped for a day on the course. I arrive 90 minutes before tee time. First step is to put on music and earbuds. I use a timer on my phone for all these next steps.

#1, 30 minutes: Stretch, calm and focus

#2, 20 minutes: Putt

#3, 30 minutes: Swings on practice tee

#4, 5 minutes: Putt then head to first tee

I firmly believe in routine to play best. Fun for me is posting a good score. For guys that just like to post for fun on here, I ask that if you respond please do so tastefully as I'm trying to answer a serious inquiry.

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my LGLS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

First of all, you are not the op for this thread. If the OP had kicked off his thread with: "respond tastefully as I'm receptive to serious responses only", I would just move on to the next thread of interest. I'm pretty sure you were speaking to me as I do a TON of light hearted posting as that's the way I roll.  If you don't like the way I make comments, then skip down to the next post.

MGS is a great community where everyone is allowed to make serious or light hearted comments. No one IMO has the right (except for moderators) to police a thread because it doesn't fit their criteria.

Maybe you're a new moderator and you're asking folks to respond tastefully or not at all? If you are, you're first job will be to ban me because I'll never change who I am or the way I respond.  

One more thing, If I had to post in a technical and serious manner only, I would never be a  contributor on a golf forum.  I've made 1684 posts since last November (2016) with 1916 likes so apparently not everyone takes offense to my style. 

Oh and by the way, welcome to MGS and I do respect folks like you with their technical expertise and professional style posting.  Different strokes for different folks makes the world go round.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My home course doesn't have a range. So I usually hit one or 2 full wedges from the rough by the tee box. But before that I take 4 full speed swings with every club in the bag. Start in the parking lot with the 60°, work my way up to driver and then take an additional 4 with the club I'm using on the first hole. First hole is a 9 iron for front pin and 8 iron for back pin. Requires a cut to get the ball to stop on the correct tier. It's a weird green. Everything goes left.

So, looking for a little inspiration, I'm curious what you guys do? What does your routine look like?

Normally, a bacon sandwich and a coffee does the trick. 

Seriously though, I use the reverse warm up routine. In other words, start off with a few basic stretches, then practice putts, then wedges, then progress through the irons from short to long, woods and then finish with driver - therefore you are ready for the opening tee shot with muscle memory and extension intact. If I'm getting a particular shot shape that day, I can use that shape intuitively from the get go, rather than having to deal with any surprises during the round. 

I'll play around a dozen or so competitive tournaments each year so I've developed what I think is a solid warm up routine when I get to the course.

First, I always clean my clubs the night before a tournament.  And, if it's a multi-day event I will do the same thing the next night, too.  Very OCD habit.

When I get on the range I'm looking to spend around an hour there (that includes time on the putting green) and will go through the routine pretty religiously.  Not worrying about fixing or working on any aspect of my swing.  I'm merely getting a feel for how I'm striking the ball and if I'm seeing any directional miss.  Typically listen to some music while I warm up so I don't think about anything except just hitting the ball at a target.

Start on the putting green and will try to get in around 50 putts if possible before I head to the range.  Start with 2-3 footers and move back about 2 feet after a few minutes.  Will also make 2-3 footers from multiple angles.

When I step on the range here's my general routine...

- 5 pitch shots each with my 50* and 54* wedges

- 10 shots with the PW ranging from full swing to my favorite knock down shot

- 5 shots each with 8 iron then the 7 iron

- 3 or 4 shots with the 4 iron then the same with my hybrid

- 2 or 3 shots with the 3 wood (tee'd up) then 3 to 5 with my driver

- 5 more pitch shots with the 50* and 5 full swings

- Finish with my opening tee shot club before moving to the putting green

If I'm playing with buddies then I'll try and hit 10(ish) balls on the range if there is one just so I knock the rust off before we get on the course.

My warm-up starts with about 10 minutes of stretching! My shoulders have gotten pretty bad in the last two years and it takes a bit to get them warmed-up. I stretch my hip flexors pretty good too, beyond the legs and trunk.

I almost always start with my 8 iron to get a groove since it's my favorite club. I then hit some 6 iron shots, some full wedges, driver, then back to wedges, and then I end on an 8 iron shot. It's usually just a small bucket of 20-25 balls only. If I'm at a new course, I'll get there a little earlier than I do my own course so I can putt a bit.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I keep it simple. Lil stretching and if the course has a range will hit a bucket. Usually 50-70 balls, most of those hit with a wedge. Rest I'll divide between long irons and driver. Then go to the putting green.

My warm up isn't too work on anything but to just remind the body what we are about to do.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

So, out of all of these new posts I have but one question.

What, exactly, is a bacon sandwich?

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I've literally never heard of that or HP sauce! I have to try one...

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

attachicon.gifByZ5C0d.jpg

That my friend is a bacon sandwich. Preferably with HP Sauce. 

attachicon.gifvideo-undefined-2465FFD700000578-373_636x358.jpg

There we go.

That looks REALLY good!  Never heard of HP sauce either.  I wonder if it's like A-1 sauce ?

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

attachicon.gif ByZ5C0d.jpg

That my friend is a bacon sandwich. Preferably with HP Sauce. 

attachicon.gifvideo-undefined-2465FFD700000578-373_636x358.jpg

There we go.

Dayuuuuummmmmm   I could handle a couple of those this morning!   :D 

Cleveland

Dayuuuuummmmmm I could handle a couple of those this morning! :D

You and me both! I just made a cheese omelet for my son and I but didn't hit the spot after looking at that sandwich, lol.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I always start with 8 iron to loosen the rust. Then 5 or 6 iron, and driver. Usually at most I'll hit 30 balls. Putting green for 10 minutes and I'm ready to go. In putting I start with 20-30 foot lags, then 3-5 footers. Simple is better!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

This is easy. Same routine 4 days a week. I have my own cart so get my clubs and shoes on cart night B4. Drive to whatever course our group is playing that morning and get there 45 minutes or so early. Check in, hit a dozen or so balls putt a bit get the guys in right groups and go bang it around for 31/2-4 hours.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I posted my routine earlier but☝️this is awesome!

I don't eat them very often but my recipe is set in stone. Extra crispy bacon plus French's yellow mustard and it's the only time I eat sliced white bread. I also limit the caffeine intake to a minimum before I play because it tends to creep into my hands.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

First of all, you are not the op for this thread. If the OP had kicked off his thread with: "respond tastefully as I'm receptive to serious responses only", I would just move on to the next thread of interest. I'm pretty sure you were speaking to me as I do a TON of light hearted posting as that's the way I roll. If you don't like the way I make comments, then skip down to the next post.

MGS is a great community where everyone is allowed to make serious or light hearted comments. No one IMO has the right (except for moderators) to police a thread because it doesn't fit their criteria.

Maybe you're a new moderator and you're asking folks to respond tastefully or not at all? If you are, you're first job will be to ban me because I'll never change who I am or the way I respond.

One more thing, If I had to post in a technical and serious manner only, I would never be a contributor on a golf forum. I've made 1684 posts since last November (2016) with 1916 likes so apparently not everyone takes offense to my style.

Oh and by the way, welcome to MGS and I do respect folks like you with their technical expertise and professional style posting. Different strokes for different folks makes the world go round.

Mr. Ole Gray,

I am definitely not the person who started the thread, we agree on that. Second, my post was not directed at you personally because I own up to who I post about by using the "@" symbol. My comment about joking vs serious posts was simply to say that it was my interpretation that the original post was actually a serious question. I understand that people are free to post whatever they want as long as it isn't profane or derogatory. I asked if people responded to me that they didn't put down my response by joking about it or making it light-hearted. I personally don't see how "popping open a beer" or "getting out of the car and sprinting to the first tee hoping my shoes are tied" actually answers the original question but to each there own. I really do enjoy the variety of posts but I still believe we all have to agree that certain ones have their place, if I am wrong in this regard then from now on I will make sure that every post of mine is always only original. I feel as though your response to mine and trying to beat me down about how many likes you get isn't fair because I am a new member to the site. I'm all for freedom of posting, but I simply just "wondered" why a serious posting topic was answered with answers that literally didn't answer the question. I'm very sorry to have offended you and I will make sure that I never post in a thread that you have already posted in (or do my best not to offend you any more).

Regards, Burk

Try to get there 45min before tee time. Driving range where I hit 52 degree wedge to loosen up. Then 8,6,hybrid and driver. A few wedge shots, pitching and chipping. Then roll some long putts to gauge speed. Finish off with a few short ones. Good to go....

My routine used to be very similar to some of those posted above, it does begin with "night before preparedness" always checking my bag, as I am prone to making equipment adjustments for a particular course or if I am experimenting. I make sure that I have the right clothes and shoes set out which is very important as I mostly play at 8:00 starts and have been known to leave my shoes at home. Now I place them next to my bag! Clubs cleaned, balls checked, clothes and shoes ready, now I can sleep dreaming about my round.

On the day of the round, I always try to get to the club early so I can stretch. At 66, the stretching is most important. I like to use the golf cart in my stretches. As my club no longer has a range, and I am the person registering all the players and setting up the 4somes, I never get a chance to swing my clubs before tee time. I am lucky if I get to grab a couple clubs and swing them, followed by combo stretching and swinging my driver. I know that hitting some balls before the round would help and we do have a couple hitting cages now, but time usually runs out even though I arrive 90 minutes ahead of time.

I do have a constant, coffee and fried egg n bacon n cheese sandwich during registration.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Mr. Ole Gray,

I am definitely not the person who started the thread, we agree on that. Second, my post was not directed at you personally because I own up to who I post about by using the "@" symbol. My comment about joking vs serious posts was simply to say that it was my interpretation that the original post was actually a serious question. I understand that people are free to post whatever they want as long as it isn't profane or derogatory. I asked if people responded to me that they didn't put down my response by joking about it or making it light-hearted. I personally don't see how "popping open a beer" or "getting out of the car and sprinting to the first tee hoping my shoes are tied" actually answers the original question but to each there own. I really do enjoy the variety of posts but I still believe we all have to agree that certain ones have their place, if I am wrong in this regard then from now on I will make sure that every post of mine is always only original. I feel as though your response to mine and trying to beat me down about how many likes you get isn't fair because I am a new member to the site. I'm all for freedom of posting, but I simply just "wondered" why a serious posting topic was answered with answers that literally didn't answer the question. I'm very sorry to have offended you and I will make sure that I never post in a thread that you have already posted in (or do my best not to offend you any more).

Regards, Burk

Burk

It's all good and you don't have to apologize as we all should have the right to agree to disagree.   Don't stop posting in any thread because of fear of reprimand.  In fact adding your take on things helps the forum grow and the more info members both old & new have to enjoy, the better for everybody.  Post away and enjoy the threads that interest you and most importantly, do it your way. Everybody is unique and it's easy to misinterpret a post on the internet.  Have fun, get er done and hopefully we can stick a peg in the ground one of these days.  I'll teach ya how to loosening up ya beer drinking arm with an orange whip... ;) jk

Cleveland

Mr. Ole Gray,

Regards, Burk

Burk,

Thank you for taking the time to interpret my question and answer it in the original manner that you feel the question was portrayed. One piece of knowledge for you though, I know the community here rather well and expect to see the kind of answers (wide ranging and from all ends of the spectrum) that I've seen. The great thing about MGS is that we all have our own unique perspective and are free to share that with the general community here. We can all be ourselves.

I wouldn't want any of our members to change the tone of their conversation with me based on how I asked a question. Just tell it like it is boys.

I appreciate EVERYONE's feedback in this thread, and with that all manners of expression.

Especially jaskanski's bacon sandwhich. Mmmm....

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm one of those that like to get to the course early spend about 30 minutes putting and stretching out.  Putt, stretch, swing my wedge, 7 irons, and then driver...this is my usual routine every time I go to play.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Archived