Sschaffer24

Describe Your Warmup?

Well luckily I have a driving range nearby so I usually hit a large bucket before I head off to whatever course I am playing that day. This only on weekends mind you. Then at the course putt for about 10 minutes and then take a few swings with a couple of long irons 4/5 together to again loosen the body. Swing the driver a few more times and then off to the first tee.

Again if I do not get a chance to hit before I play...it is usually an adventure the first couple of holes.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

For me if I get the chance to hit balls I will.  Usually no more than 15 thou, just enough to get loose and see how the swing is doing.  I will always go to the putting green though.  I have to make ten 3' putts in a row before I go out.  This builds some confidence seeing the ball go in the hole.

I am not one to beat balls, my swing is what it is and I usually know how to fix it. 

HA HA HA what the :o is a warm up????

Get to the course, pay for the round, get a cart, drive back to the truck, load bag, put on shoes and head to the first tee.

Although, when I'm with Theoo, I tend to shank a few range balls beforehand because he shames me into it.

I'm slowly making you a better player lol

• Like 2

For me it kinda depends on the type of round. If it's a tournament or something like that I like to get there around a hour and a half to check in and kinda just relax before I hit the range. Then I'll hit balls for about 20-25 mins then do some short game. Then I take a little break before rolling putts

If it's a more casual round I like to be there early enough to hit some balls and putts then it's off to the tee

HA HA HA what the  :o  is a warm up????

Get to the course, pay for the round, get a cart, drive back to the truck, load bag, put on shoes and head to the first tee.

Although, when I'm with Theoo, I tend to shank a few range balls beforehand because he shames me into it.

I can do that.

• Like 2

It's usually the same for me no matter where I play.

One hour early -  check -in, gather tees, card, pencil, ball, and markers.

Start with a 54* wedge hitting 10-30 yard pitches

Transition with the 54* to full shots

9i full shots

7i full shots

Driver - 8 to 10 shots

chip and putt for a few minutes

Get a cup of ice water

Setup the bets

Hit it and go

• Like 1

It's usually the same for me no matter where I play.

One hour early -  check -in, gather tees, card, pencil, ball, and markers.

Start with a 54* wedge hitting 10-30 yard pitches

Transition with the 54* to full shots

9i full shots

7i full shots

Driver - 8 to 10 shots

chip and putt for a few minutes

Get a cup of ice water

Setup the bets

Hit it and go

If you had confidence in your game, you would set up the bets before you went to the range.   :D

• Like 2

Anyone have any ideas for how to handle a round right out of the car? I get to head to the course over the summer after 5PM for a late 9 holes a lot and always struggle with being out of sync early since I can't warm up. Any techniques for in the car or at the office beforehand you guys use?

Anyone have any ideas for how to handle a round right out of the car? I get to head to the course over the summer after 5PM for a late 9 holes a lot and always struggle with being out of sync early since I can't warm up. Any techniques for in the car or at the office beforehand you guys use?

In that situation it always seems that you will feel rushed or feel like you are in a hurry. you need to breathe and slow everything down. I play this way a lot, it helps to take some deep breaths and find a target to hit to, and don't swing full, maybe a 3/4 controlled swing, add a club on the second shot and do the same thing, use the first couple shots to sort of loosen up. I find for myself hat I just need to slow everything down.

• Like 1

I do this in my summer after work golf league. I try to roll a few putts but generally it is straight to the tee. 3/4 swings with a slow tempo for the first hole or two and then I am good to go.

Casual round, no time constraints:

1. 20 min deep stretching on the mat at home, focused on back, hammies and hip flexors

2. ~40 swings with a 6 iron but no balls, focused on flexibility limits, tempo and making shallow divots

3. Hit some balls with the 3 iron and make necessary adjustments

4. Head to the 1st tee

My questions to you:

Why do I insist on stretching? Why are my first swings of the day without a ball? Why are the first balls I hit with a 3 iron?

• Like 1

Just play better

• Like 2

My guess is that everyone who basically does this every time they play will play better than someone who does a lot of warmup on the range.  It's what they always do.  If you have confidence in your swing, you can take it to the first tee without much of an issue.  I'm old.  I don't have very many swings in me, so I don't want to waste the good ones on the range.  I do have to stretch, and I do a little putting if I have a few minutes.  

During the week when I walk with the guys, I spend more time chipping and putting.  However, in the evenings during the summer when my wife gets off work, we just hit the first tee with a little stretching.

• Like 2

Putt for an hour in the garage the night before to remember how to do so.

Orange whip for 5 min in parking lot before.

Putt while complaining how slow the starter is today.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Stretch at home or when i get to the course

chip/putt for 10-15 mins

take a few practice swings with an iron

1st Tee

If I'm playing in a tourney, may hit a few balls on the range, but don't like to wear myself out

• Like 1

am I the only one who brings the DST and hits a few balls with that first ?

• Like 1

am I the only one who brings the DST and hits a few balls with that first ?

No! Typically most of my warm-up is at home, but....

* First and foremost and EVERY morning, I have to stretch and roll out my back and hips (half hour up to an hour .. can be more...).

Also note I don't belong to a club that has a range or short game area, nor do I play competitively .. so my warmups are for casual use only ;-)

Things I'll do for golf warm-up include....

..Practice swings with the DST 8i - no ball (so key to getting the body moving properly!);

..Then chip/pitch a few with the DST 8i and/or DST wedge into the practice net in the garage;

..Practice swings with a "GotchaReady" training weight on the shaft (of an old steel shafted wood) - again no ball. Weight works 3 ways - in middle to feel your swing, weight just below the grip to loosen the release, weight at bottom of shaft just above hosel to stretch / loosen everything;

..Chips and pitches with a wedge or two and maybe a 7i;

And,

..Roll a bunch of balls on the practice putting mat.

So basically I agree with the others who feel .. for them and for their game .. it's more important to loosen up and to get the feel of your swing .. to warm-up (if you will) your swing tempo.

I also agree you cannot - and should not - try to learn nor work on anything new at the range right before going out onto the course. (And ..Yipes!.. if you happen to have a "bad" range session we all know how that will get in your head and mess up your round.....)

And I also am getting older so do need to limit number of balls hit prior to actual play :(

So... A limited number of practice swings to loosen everything up and get the rhythm going, and a limited number of chips and pitches to wake up the eye-hand / club-ball connection and make sure all the body movements are working!

• Like 2

90% of my rounds...Make a drink in the garage. Drive to course. Quickly stretch on the first tee and hit 2 junk balls in to the woods. Good to go.

If I have more time I'll hit half a bucket with wedges and 9 irons. Then maybe 4-5 drivers and go to the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What happens the other 10%? ... straight from the garage to the club bar...?