TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cutting driver shaft

jerry.wilson

Last year I cut several of my driver shafts from 45" to 43.5". All are definitely lighter to swing, but the control and consistency gained is worth it. Some loss of distance for me but nothing significant at all. Like Rickie, I am pleased with a shorter driver.

Many thanks,

BackNine29

Last year I cut several of my driver shafts from 45" to 43.5". All are definitely lighter to swing, but the control and consistency gained is worth it. Some loss of distance for me but nothing significant at all. Like Rickie, I am pleased with a shorter driver.

Sounds like you did not put any lead tape on the head?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Most of the info I am sharing in this post is stuff I researched for my G30 although some of it applies to other shafts etc.

Cutting 1/2" off of the shaft is equal to 3 swing weights and 3 swing weights is equal to 6 grams of clubhead weight

Changing from a 5 gram weight to a 10 gram weight will make the club 2.5 swing weights heavier. That might make it better or it might make it worse for you. It is one of those things you would need to try to find out for sure.

The heavier 16 gram weight would increase the swing weight by 5.5 swing weights and this will make the shaft play almost a half a flex more flexible. The more flexible shaft will hit the ball higher, but not that much higher.

Ping tells me the "S" weight weighs 12.5 grams.
Ping tells me the R = 10.5 grams
Ping tells me the "Q" weight is 8.5 grams

In checking a G30 driver from our Pro Shop we get a D2 swingweight

Ping does not use a standard weight with the G30. At the factory they will install which ever weight they need to get the club to their desired swing weight. If your weight has a letter "N" on it is a 4 gram weight and a letter "Q" is a 8.5 gram weight

Changing the head weight changes the swingweight, total weight and the clubs balance. Those changes could either be good or bad for a given player. The best way to test this would be with a face impact label. I would use a face impact label on the driver just as it is and note the pattern of face hits on the label. Initially you could use lead tape to add weight to the clubhead and test again hitting shots with a new face impact label to see if the pattern of hits gets better or worse. You could remove the weight to make the club lighter and test again with a new face impact label to see if the pattern of face hits is better or worse.

I ordered a Ping G30 weight kit from amazon so I can work with the swing weight until I get it optimized to my liking.  In addition to weights, lead tape can be used to add more weight as needed.
Weight kit includes: 8g 12g 14g & 16g

Cleveland

I have cut my drivers down to 44.5" for a long time. Some, a little weight helped, others felt like a brick on a stick.

My current Cobra King F6 is cut down, with no weight added. It is more consistent and longer than any driver I have ever had.

I have cut my drivers down to 44.5" for a long time. Some, a little weight helped, others felt like a brick on a stick.

My current Cobra King F6 is cut down, with no weight added. It is more consistent and longer than any driver I have ever had.

I have heard this from several people about cutting the driver down and getting after it....   Some actually find they like/prefer the lighter weight and it works without a drastic loss in distance so try it and go from there.

What swing weight does your Cobra weigh now?  

When I cut the G30 down to 44.5 the swing weight dropped to a C5.  I have a Jumbo grip on so I have no clue if that affects swing weight or not?  Maybe total weight of shaft by a bit.

Cleveland

The exact swing weight is currently... just right! (I have no idea to be honest)

All I know is that it went from too hard to handle to hitting 260-280 yard drives that I can easily move left or right. ;)

The exact swing weight is currently... just right! (I have no idea to be honest)

All I know is that it went from too hard to handle to hitting 260-280 yard drives that I can easily move left or right. ;)

Dayuuuummmmm .....   You can't argue with that!!! :D 

Cleveland

For you folks that don't frequent Twitter, there was a great link for an awesome write up on this subject.  Check it out here:  https://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

Cleveland

Right now I'm playing an M1 at 46.5" with an Aldilla rogue 110msi. I'm wanting to shorten it to 44.5". Is it as simple as just cutting 2" off the butt end of the shaft?? What kind of things do I need to worry about. I'm new to all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaft will play stiffer plus it will change kick point swing weight etc. 2" is a lot to cut off .75 .50 .25 prob ok 2" it will play dif for sure

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I just chopped 1" off my driver yesterday and threw a new Pure DTX grip on it. I swung it a couple of times in the front yard and it felt fine to me...can't wait to see what it does on the course.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I just chopped 1" off my driver yesterday and threw a new Pure DTX grip on it. I swung it a couple of times in the front yard and it felt fine to me...can't wait to see what it does on the course.

I cut mind off yesterday too and will be heading out this morning to give her a spin around the course . I'm going to try it without adding weight back today. Tomorrow I have a weight kit coming and will have that ready in case I need to modify.

Cleveland

alright... dumb question time - I assume all you guys are cutting off the butt end and not the tip... (see, I told you it was dumb)... 

also - what do you use to cut the graphite with?  hacksaw?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I trim mine at the butt end - adds a little stiffness.

A hacksaw will work, but graphite will splinter if you get too crazy. Wrapping it with tape (or the old grip tape) and taking your time will help with that.

The answer is no, so long as the shafts are the same balance point. Swingweight is basically an expression of the balance of the total club - not an expression of the total mass. If you add weight to the head the swing weight will go up, but the length and overall mass of the club will also have an effect on the overall balance of the club. As soon as you cut down any club, the swing weight drops because the mass has to be shifted further back to achieve the same balance point. It doesn't seem like a big deal when cutting a club down an inch or two, but when you realise the effect it has on the point of the club that is furthest away from your body when you swing it (i.e. the club head), then it is the most important swingweight component to get right. On the other end of the club, the swingweight change is less noticeable because the fulcrum is now nearer the body (i.e. your hands), so grip mass is less critical perhaps, but still has the same effect on the total balance of the club. The point is, it's less discernible to the senses when you swing the club, as opposed to the head which is very discernible when you swing the club.

The swing weight merely describes how the total mass is distributed along the total length of the club, not how the individual components mass are calculated. So it's possible to have a heavy shaft with a shorter length to have a lower swing weight than a much lighter shaft with more length.

Jaskanski I have I have a question for you.? I have read some very in-depth articles on swing weights with drivers and the topic gets very complicated but I did manage to retain some information and along with my experiments got a little Hands-On understanding as well. My question to you is these companies TaylorMade ping excetera, have honed in on D three or D4 swing weights for driver's for a very good reason. They have been making clubs a long time and these in-depth articles state that D3 or D4 swing weights are the most functional 4 majority of golfers. And to go much higher than that the playability of the club begins to drop. Even for professionals. Also to go lower than this seems to inhibit performance as well.. If kept at the same length of course.. I am currently using a G30 cut to 44.5 at a swing weight of C8 and I like my club and performs well. It's a very forgiving club and I made it shorter and I'm hitting more Fairways. So finally to be clear with my question, do you think after shortening a driver if it were possible to keep a BLANCED swing weight at D4 would be ideal?

My gut tells me when Cobra comes out with their new shorter driver the swing weight will be D4 ish.

I still use an Aldila RIP 60 in my 913 D3. (love it) I think it's 45". I'm going to re-grip very soon and I might cut 1/2" -3/4" off of it. If it takes a bit of lead tape.... so be it. I'd rather find more fairways and be 10 yards shorter.

Sent from my 6045O using MyGolfSpy mobile app

alright... dumb question time - I assume all you guys are cutting off the butt end and not the tip... (see, I told you it was dumb)... 

also - what do you use to cut the graphite with?  hacksaw?

Yes, the butt end. If you tip trim it, you'll change the flex for sure.

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel...zipped through it like the proverbial.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Yes, the butt end. If you tip trim it, you'll change the flex for sure.

I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel...zipped through it like the proverbial.

Ah!  Good call on the dremel; I have one but haven't found many uses for it !!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Jaskanski I have I have a question for you.? I have read some very in-depth articles on swing weights with drivers and the topic gets very complicated but I did manage to retain some information and along with my experiments got a little Hands-On understanding as well. My question to you is these companies TaylorMade ping excetera, have honed in on D three or D4 swing weights for driver's for a very good reason. They have been making clubs a long time and these in-depth articles state that D3 or D4 swing weights are the most functional 4 majority of golfers. And to go much higher than that the playability of the club begins to drop. Even for professionals. Also to go lower than this seems to inhibit performance as well.. If kept at the same length of course.. I am currently using a G30 cut to 44.5 at a swing weight of C8 and I like my club and performs well. It's a very forgiving club and I made it shorter and I'm hitting more Fairways. So finally to be clear with my question, do you think after shortening a driver if it were possible to keep a BLANCED swing weight at D4 would be ideal?

My gut tells me when Cobra comes out with their new shorter driver the swing weight will be D4 ish.

Sent from my 6045O using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Well the development of interchangeable weights has certainly helped in letting golfers attain their ideal swingweight - whatever that may be. Some like it really heavy, some like it really light. Modern drivers can be adjusted to suit most tastes and specifications, so no matter what the finished length and the component mass is, the swing weight preference can be achieved.

Where you start to run into problems is when you try to alter a build that has been engineered to feel and perform in a certain way. From this point, you have no other option but to completely overhaul the build and make the length swing weight and flex perform as you would like it.

I don't really think that D4 for example is any kind of ideal balance - it's just a figure you tend to end up with when the components are largely similar. For example, the driver head size is limited to 460cc so the head mass is usually very similar provided the head construction is the same - composite materials and thinner walls are all very well but the total discretionary mass has to be moved somewhere to make the ball flight dynamics work. No surprise it tends to end up low to assist in making ball flight easier with lower spin - they end up within a few grams of each other. Shafts tend to be similar in mass distribution (although there are plenty of counter-balanced shafts) and in finished OTR length, combined with similar grip spec and you tend to end up with D4 - not by design but by good old coincidence. If you take the example of a shorter driver with a smaller head size, the SLDR Mini comes in at D3 in standard spec. 

It's important to remember that the swing weight scale is merely a representation of mass distribution along the length of a club and naturally different people will have a different perception of how a club "feels" when it is swung. Some are very sensitive to changes in swing weight and balance and can detect very small changes from their preferred set up. Others can't tell a difference if you added 5 points. So regardless of what the swing weight scale actually says, the player still has the overall decision on what feels the best. 

Jasmanski is the boss hawg! .

I was totally shocked today at how well hit my G30. No weights added and I was hitting the ball further than I could imagine. Especially with a C5 swing weight!!! Oh well I get my weights tomorrow so I will monkey around with that for a bit. Right now I am feeling really good with the 44.5 in the Ping exactly like it sits right now

Cleveland

Okay I'm going to be the odd voice here and ask questions and raise concerns that people will not like.  I want you to take it to heart, honestly assess your game regardless of how you or others might respond.  The goal here is always to get people to play better golf.

1.  Have you been fit for the shorter shaft?  Everyone has an ideal shaft length based upon their swing that allows them to deliver the sweet spot to the ball most frequently.  So have you been fit?  Is that why you are cutting the driver shaft?   Because a professional said that you should?

Just because Ricky Fowler or Sergio Garcia are swinging a shorter length driver doesn't mean that you should.  The better gauge would be players on the LPGA who on average swing drivers that are an inch longer than guys on the PGA.  I realize that most of us don't like to believe that we hit it like a girl but most of us do.  Well most of us don't, we aren't that good but the better players among us can come close to their numbers.

Go get fit and if an astute fitter believes that you will do better with a driver shaft that's an inch shorter by all means - do it!  If not you just burned through a shaft.

2.  If the driver is properly fit there should be no appreciable loss of distance.  In fact the club will be longer on average (perhaps you will hit the occasional one with the over long for you shaft that goes 5 to 10 yards longer than your average with the shorter shaft if we are talking an inch.)  Well struck shots go farther than poorly struck ones - just consider which goes farther - a healed 3 wood or a well struck 4 hybrid. 

3.  You guys can have your fairways.  Every single study that I see (and that guys hate) suggest that we need to hit the ball farther - the biggest separation between a scratch golfer and a touring pro is distance.  The biggest separating factor between handicaps tends to be distance - yes there are always exceptions to the rule but there aren't as many exceptions as there are guys on the MGS forum.  You may be the exception, I don't know who you are so this isn't singling any one person out - I just know that all of us aren't exceptions and that the overwhelming majority of us need to hit it farther off the tee. 

If you can't control your farther - eliminate one side of the course or the other - then you need lessons way more than you need to be cutting down your driver.  I hit a high number of fairways, way more than the average touring pro (of course - I hit it way shorter). I would gladly take one less fairway a round for 5 more yards off the tee on average because I know where my misses will end up.  Unless there is something funky going on at the course I'm playing a short iron from the rough with no trees in front of me will be closer to the hole on my next shot on average than a mid iron from the fairway.  Most days I know where my misses will end up - I will take whatever distance I can get over hitting a fairway any day.  My best scoring rounds come from hitting it close to the pin and/or holing putts - they never come from fairways hit.   I can hit every fairway and not break 80.  I'm breaking 80 if I hit 9 greens so long as I avoid 3 putting, threatening 75 if I hit 10 or more, 72 at 12.  I could do that hitting only half the fairways if I'm hitting the tee ball solid all the time.  I track my stats, I know it for a fact.

Bottom line - I'm sure that there are people who might benefit from a shorter shaft on their driver.  But the wise person see's his fitter and his pro first before doing it because not everyone will benefit from it.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good for you! I definitely prefer the lighter weight.

Be sure and tinker though - you won't know until you try!

Yep I got to tinker a little bit to see if dropping that 16 gram weight in the head will make a difference.  I knew I liked the 44.5 length as I have played it before however I have always immediately slapped lead tape on it.  Callaway impressed me with coming out with the Fusion with the 44.5 shaft and 12 gram weight  in 2016.  I'm really hoping other companies will make the move to offer shorter versions.   

Cleveland

Rev it took me a side by side comparison of a longer driver vs the shorter one to convince me short was the way to go.  My dispersion is much better with the shorter length and I hit the center of the clubface more often. I'm a tall guy at 6'1" however I have long arms so when I would swing a 45+ length driver, I had a lot of stuff out there to get back to the ball with a square face.  I use to be an athletic type guy with good hand/eye coordination however after three surgeries on my right knee, broke my hip too, and my smooth move went down hill.  I wouldn't exactly call me clumsy now however swinging a shorter driver certainly is easier on this old man...   :D

My friend who played college golf and taught for several years, showed me why short was good for me. He put impact tape on a 45.5 driver and I hit it several times.  We then went with the 44.5 version and my ball strikes were waaaaaay better with the short driver along with a gain in distance.    

Like I've said before,,, I know short just feels and performs better for me. What I didn't realize was short and light may be even better for me.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this however proof is in the pudding.  My friends today were all bugged eye about how far my drives were going.  One guy told me he has never seen me hit further drives since he's known me. I either had one heck of a solid smash factor going on or an alien crawled in my body and was pounding that ball. :unsure:  

I'm looking forward to Wednesday now to see if this day was for real or just a feather in the wind.... :D

Cleveland

I became friends with a very well respected club fitter in our area in the early 90's. He taught me a lot of his theory, and after figuring out that I like to tinker with things myself (not just golf clubs, but cars, home repairs, etc.) he taught me some old-school methods that don't require a bunch of high cost machinery.

He was the guy that fitted my whole bag on course. We played a few holes a day for a week or so, tinkering a little bit each day. And yes - I thought he was crazy when he cut my putter to 33" and took 1/2" off my irons.

I don't claim to know everything, but I'm not afraid to try anything.

My current driver definitely improved my scores over the winter. Last season, I ended close to a 9 hcp. I updated my profile around Christmas to 7.9, and after dialing in this new driver, I've added about 20-30 yards, 12% more fairways, a lot of confidence, and I'm currently at a 6.7 hcp playing in crappy winter conditions.

It might just be dumb luck, but it's working. It's not recommended for everyone, and needs the disclaimer that anything you mess with, you might ruin and have to replace. I totally agree that a professional fitting is something that everyone can benefit from.

But, there are also people like me who enjoy tinkering with clubs as much as they enjoy playing the game! ;)

I became friends with a very well respected club fitter in our area in the early 90's. He taught me a lot of his theory, and after figuring out that I like to tinker with things myself (not just golf clubs, but cars, home repairs, etc.) he taught me some old-school methods that don't require a bunch of high cost machinery.

He was the guy that fitted my whole bag on course. We played a few holes a day for a week or so, tinkering a little bit each day. And yes - I thought he was crazy when he cut my putter to 33" and took 1/2" off my irons.

I don't claim to know everything, but I'm not afraid to try anything.

My current driver definitely improved my scores over the winter. Last season, I ended close to a 9 hcp. I updated my profile around Christmas to 7.9, and after dialing in this new driver, I've added about 20-30 yards, 12% more fairways, a lot of confidence, and I'm currently at a 6.7 hcp playing in crappy winter conditions.

It might just be dumb luck, but it's working. It's not recommended for everyone, and needs the disclaimer that anything you mess with, you might ruin and have to replace. I totally agree that a professional fitting is something that everyone can benefit from.

But, there are also people like me who enjoy tinkering with clubs as much as they enjoy playing the game! ;)

This for sure ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!

Don't just whack ya stuff off without some sort of game plan to make sure it's your cup of tea.  Golf is hard and equipment is expensive so use wisdom when trying new stuff.

Cleveland

Okay I'm going to be the odd voice here and ask questions and raise concerns that people will not like.  I want you to take it to heart, honestly assess your game regardless of how you or others might respond.  The goal here is always to get people to play better golf.

1.  Have you been fit for the shorter shaft?  Everyone has an ideal shaft length based upon their swing that allows them to deliver the sweet spot to the ball most frequently.  So have you been fit?  Is that why you are cutting the driver shaft?   Because a professional said that you should?

I haven't found a fitter that offers shorter shafts as an option to even test. I'd love to because I would welcome the added control of my driver

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot