TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cutting driver shaft

jerry.wilson

I haven't found a fitter that offers shorter shafts as an option to even test. I'd love to because I would welcome the added control of my driver

Tried a 3w shaft? Might work for ya.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

If you're just cutting it down, it would be from the butt without the grip on...it's that easy.

If you're measuring the whole club, you put the measure from the heel of the club on the floor and measure to the end of the grip cap.

In regards to Rev's post. I was not fit for the shorter shaft, but, having struggled with the driver and just killing the 3 wood, the conclusion, for me at least, is that the shorter shaft could only help me with more consistent contact. 

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

...another dumb question... (humor me, if you will).

If I have a shaft with a removable head, should I take the head off and measure the shaft from tip to butt to get the actual length or is it better/more appropriate to measure with the head on?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

...another dumb question... (humor me, if you will).

If I have a shaft with a removable head, should I take the head off and measure the shaft from tip to butt to get the actual length or is it better/more appropriate to measure with the head on?

Head on imo. You don't won't to cut it too short. Mine measures 44.5 from sole of head to butt end of shaft

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Head on mate, that's how all clubs are measured.

288_Golf_Club_Length_Measuring.jpg

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I haven't found a fitter that offers shorter shafts as an option to even test. I'd love to because I would welcome the added control of my driver

Interesting, I've had three driver fittings where shaft length was a key element.

They came out 45", 44.5" and 45" for me.

One of those fittings was by the guy who fit Sergio at 43.5. When I asked about that he said, "You aren't Sergio." :)

My current driver is at 45" and D3. I have my Paterson shaft with a G30 head set to neutral. I bought the driver for 190, got the shaft as part of a test and did a driver fitting that included the cutting down, grip and adapter installation for 100. The adapter cost around 20 so for 310 I have a driver that fits quite nicely. No guessing, no doubts.

I do understand tinkering if that's what you like to do because golf is meant to be fun!!!!!

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting, I've had three driver fittings where shaft length was a key element.

They came out 45", 44.5" and 45" for me.

One of those fittings was by the guy who fit Sergio at 43.5. When I asked about that he said, "You aren't Sergio." :)

Did you actually get to hit the shorter length or was it more of an observation from the fitter that a shorter shaft may help more than the longer one?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

All three recommended a shaft at 45". That's exactly what they put in the driver. There was also a line in the grip that would make it 44.5".

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

... For those that are interested is seeing if a shorter shaft might help your accuracy AND distance I have a suggestion. Never stand on a range and hit balls with a driver to a single target when evaluating a club. It is very easy to make subtle adjustments when hitting the exact same shot over and over again and that gives you a false representation of how you would hit this same club off the tee during a round of golf. 

... Hit the driver aimed at a specific target. Then hit a wedge at another target. Then your longest iron at yet another target. Then back to the driver hitting to a different target than the original. Repeat this using different clubs between shots like hybrids, wedges and irons at different targets. This will not replicate actually playing golf because the pressure of a lost shot isn't the same as a free swing where hitting a bad shot posses no penalty. But it does get you close to hitting different shots at different targets like you do during a round. It also stops you from getting in a comfortable groove. 

... I had many students that would groove a specific swing at a specific target without having to align themselves, adjust for different club lengths from wedge to driver and hit consistent shots giving them an inaccurate sense of how they would play on the course. Adjusting their stance, target and club helped them see what a single driver shot may look like while playing and very few had the same result as they did grooving a driver with repetition. Try it the next time you are evaluating any given club.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... For those that are interested is seeing if a shorter shaft might help your accuracy AND distance I have a suggestion. Never stand on a range and hit balls with a driver to a single target when evaluating a club. It is very easy to make subtle adjustments when hitting the exact same shot over and over again and that gives you a false representation of how you would hit this same club off the tee during a round of golf. 

... Hit the driver aimed at a specific target. Then hit a wedge at another target. Then your longest iron at yet another target. Then back to the driver hitting to a different target than the original. Repeat this using different clubs between shots like hybrids, wedges and irons at different targets. This will not replicate actually playing golf because the pressure of a lost shot isn't the same as a free swing where hitting a bad shot posses no penalty. But it does get you close to hitting different shots at different targets like you do during a round. It also stops you from getting in a comfortable groove. 

... I had many students that would groove a specific swing at a specific target without having to align themselves, adjust for different club lengths from wedge to driver and hit consistent shots giving them an inaccurate sense of how they would play on the course. Adjusting their stance, target and club helped them see what a single driver shot may look like while playing and very few had the same result as they did grooving a driver with repetition. Try it the next time you are evaluating any given club.  

This brings to mind the old adage "Practice like you play"... 

sometimes hard to do on the range but chisag describes it perfectly.  the only time you're ever going to hit your driver twice in a row is if you need to hit a provisional due to a bad shot or take a mulligan (gasp!)....

and we *never* hit bad shots on the range!

If you're playing a par5 or par4 and you use your driver then play it on the range. Driver/mid iron/wedge ... or Driver/wedge... or Driver/hybrid/wedge... or (you get it) ... but don't just keep pounding out driver shot after driver shot!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

interesting article about former world drive champ going to a shorter shaft since he's trying to become a pro.

http://golfweek.com/2017/02/28/former-long-driver-jamie-sadlowski-modifies-his-gear-to-chase-tour-card/

One of the biggest changes for Sadlowski involves something most amateurs seldom tweak: grip size. Sadlowski has changed from standard-sized grips to midsize grips with four extra wraps under the bottom hand to remove the taper.

His Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero driver also is shorter, having been trimmed from 45 inches to 44.25. Sadlowski said he plans to move into a 43-inch club soon.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Back at chisag great suggestion! I often follow it when practice. One of the pros at my club recommends going out and playing 2 holes or so at the end of practice in order to carry it on the course. That's only practical if you're a member at a club though.

@Stroker there is absolutely no relationship between the game a guy who hits it 380 is playing and the game that I play. :)

I don't know why anyone wouldn't just go to a fitter. (unless you enjoy tinkering - I totally buy that argument)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

A little update on my experience yesterday with adding lead tape to my G30 at 44.5 ...   It didn't work worth a crap!  Either I had too much weight on the head or my swing was waaaay off however I was pushing everything right..  I took the weight off at the turn and bingo, back to cranking drives long and straight.  My weight kit came in the mail yesterday afternoon.  I will experiment more today or tomorrow for sure with weights instead of lead tape.

Cleveland

I like lighter better - had the same experience when I tried adding weight... For the record, or whatever it's worth, I think Bryson Deshambeau has his driver weight at B9. (He's a club tweaker too)

How much tape or weight did you add?

Sent from my 6045O using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Three strips with two being three inches long and one piece being two inches.

Cleveland

Yes very similar to what I have now with my G30.. Cut down to 44.5 and I settled with two strips of three inch tape down the center bottom ( aprox 4 grams)... and 3 strips of the same length right underneath the bottom of the grip to off set the brick like feeling of just adding weight to the bottom of the head...

With my experiments. I started with 10 to 12 grams at the bottom of the club clubhead which was ridiculously too heavy. The weakest link, my hands couldn't manage that kind of weight at impact. Then gradually whittled my way down to 4 grams at the bottom and 6 grams underneath the grip.. of course I took the club to the range and Tankard and found what I felt best with with, you don't really even need a ball really. I just swing the club until I felt what was right to me. Of course eventually you will need a ball to see the flight.

Yes very similar to what I have now with my G30.. Cut down to 44.5 and I settled with two strips of three inch tape down the center bottom ( aprox 4 grams)... and 3 strips of the same length right underneath the bottom of the grip to off set the brick like feeling of just adding weight to the bottom of the head...

With my experiments. I started with 10 to 12 grams at the bottom of the club clubhead which was ridiculously too heavy. The weakest link, my hands couldn't manage that kind of weight at impact. Then gradually whittled my way down to 4 grams at the bottom and 6 grams underneath the grip.. of course I took the club to the range and Tankard and found what I felt best with with, you don't really even need a ball really. I just swing the club until I felt what was right to me. Of course eventually you will need a ball to see the flight.

So you put a couple of strips UNDER your grip? Meaning take the grip off, add the lead tape, over wrap with grip tape and then reinstall the grip?

Cleveland

Well, I decided to go ahead and cut 1/2" off. It's now a just a bit under 44 1/2". I already like the way it feels. You wouldn't think 1/2" would be that noticeable, but it is. I'm 5' 8 1/2"+ with a 29" inseam and long arms. I've always felt like I have too much club hanging out there.... and I tend to push my drives right when I'm off. I'm hoping this helps with that. If not, I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience and get another shaft...lol.

You loose 3 swingweight points for each 0.5" you shorten the club - so for 2" you'll be loosing quite a substantial 12 points, which would take a D4 down to a C2 for example.

To restore swingweight, you need to add approx 2g of weight for each point so you'll be looking at 24g minimum to get the swingweight back. Not too difficult with interchangeable weights but you run into further problems - shaft cpm and flex are affected with each amount of weight you add (or subtract) so adding 24g could weaken the shaft flex by a full flex, meaning it will also possibly ruin the feel of the club too.

Always factor in what you will end up with before making any alterations to a club, especially when you are taking parts of it away. The best compromise would be to choke down on the club with your grip and remove less from the butt if you really have to. Check to see the results before cutting anything.

yup like me you know ur stuff

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Well, I decided to go ahead and cut 1/2" off. It's now a just a bit under 44 1/2". I already like the way it feels. You wouldn't think 1/2" would be that noticeable, but it is. I'm 5' 8 1/2"+ with a 29" inseam and long arms. I've always felt like I have too much club hanging out there.... and I tend to push my drives right when I'm off. I'm hoping this helps with that. If not, I'll just chalk it up to a learning experience and get another shaft...lol.

Good for you and hopefully it will be the beginning of a long love story with the short stuff. :wub:  ;) 

Cleveland

Just yesterday afternoon I played 9-holes with my instructor/coach/friend. I asked him what is the length of his driver. He said his was 44.25". Said he'd been playing that length for a long time.

I've thought about it myself but I don't want to mess with my current driver/shaft. It's a good one...even at 45.25". Next time I decide to get a new driver I'm going to experiment with a shorter shaft.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I spent last week in Orlando with some friends and got in a lot of golf while I was down there.  Decided to bring an extra driver shaft with me and had it cut down to play at 44.25" at PGA Superstore.  That bad boy was my gamer all weekend over 4 rounds and it did not disappoint one bit.  It is lighter, as expected, but I kind of like the lighter weight.  I might tinker with some lead tape down the road but for now the feel is good.

In terms of performance I didn't lose any distance from what I can tell.  I was hitting it right along and sometimes past my buddies, who aren't short knockers by any means.  Dispersion will take some time getting used to but I had a nice controlled fade with the shorter shaft all weekend.  A few times it got loose left/right but that was me and not the driver.

Going to hit the range and get in a few holes later this week with the shorter driver so we'll see how things go but for now I really like this combo a lot.

just read an interesting article about how Jimmy Walker shortened his driver shaft.

just for reference I looked it up and he's 6 feet 2 inches.  I would think that shaft length on a driver can be different based on height.  I suppose someone that's 6'5" can use a 46" driver but someone that's 5'7" might have a harder time.

JW went from 44 to 42 and now at 43.  One of the important points I thought was in the article was that with a shorter shafted driver your odds of hitting the sweetspot are better.  I like that!

How's the short driver working out for Walker? Last week at the WGC-Mexico Championship, Jimmy Walker's driving-distance average was 308.4 yards, good for 13th among the 76-player field. It also was 5.22 percent longer than his average driving distance for the season, which was 293.1. Walker switched from a 44-inch Titleist 917D2 driver into a 42-inch club at the SBS Tournament of Champions at Kapalua in January. The following week at the Sony Open, he went with a 43-inch version of the same driver and has stuck with it. Walker hoped a shorter driver would help him hit more fairways, and because he would be more likely to hit the ball in the sweetspot, he might not lose much distance. So far, the 2016 PGA Championship winner's experiment has produced mixed results. Walker is straighter, having moved up from 183rd in driving accuracy (48.31 percent) to 161st (56.4 percent). As expected he is hitting the ball a little shorter, falling from 301.3 yards per drive (T24) to 295.4 (T66). The troubling stat, however, is that Walker ranks 182nd in strokes gained: off-the-tee (-.445) compared to last season, when he finished ranked 129th at -.141.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The Ping G30 sleeve I ordered came in yesterday. I put it on an a 44.5 length Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue shaft. I had the Pro Launch Blue in my woodshed that I previously had on a Ping G25 driver. It's a regular flex shaft as opposed to the senior flex that came on my G30.  I'm getting excellent distance with the senior cut down shaft however when I step on the pedal, I get big high pushes.  I don't get high pushes with my Callaway Fusion driver (44.5) with the regular UST Recoil shaft.  It will be interesting today to see if the shaft stiffness makes any difference in resolving the high push shot misses with the G30.

Cleveland

asked this before, but no response...i'll try again

why not just choke down?   Wouldn't it be exactly the same and save all that trouble?

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS