TESTERS WANTED! ×

2017 Season Goals thread

hckymeyer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year I really need to work on my ball striking consistency with my irons. I don't believe it would take too much for me to drop the cap from 15 to single digits if I were more consistent in that aspect

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We all like to have more consistency in our ball striking.  But even single digits hit bad shots from time to time.  The quickest way to get to single digits is to practice your short game; partial shots, pitches, chips, and putting.  If you are a decent putter, you should be able to pitch the ball and one-putt about 50% of the time; when you chip the ball from just off the green, you should be able to get up and down about 70% of the time. I'm still working on that!!  A good short game will serve you well when your ball striking isn't the best.  Good luck!!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We all like to have more consistency in our ball striking. But even single digits hit bad shots from time to time. The quickest way to get to single digits is to practice your short game; partial shots, pitches, chips, and putting. If you are a decent putter, you should be able to pitch the ball and one-putt about 50% of the time; when you chip the ball from just off the green, you should be able to get up and down about 70% of the time. I'm still working on that!! A good short game will serve you well when your ball striking isn't the best. Good luck!!

I totally agree that short game helps, but last season I found myself too often in the sticks around the green and having to make a Phil-esque shot to scramble

I have been working hard on my putting for the last few years and consider myself a good putter. Putting theory and putters is my favorite part of the game so I spend most of my time there

I am now focusing on the short game specifically chipping and pitching with particular focus on distance control. I struggle to get myself into 1 putt range and end up with lots of bogeys or worse because of this. I need to start tracking up and down percentages.

My goal for this year, as it has been for a few years now, is to break 70.

I would also like to get myself from a 5/6 handicap to scratch. Hoping that the short game work will do that but I am also going to work on iron play as well specifically GIR. Which is at 45% right now.

As a few others have done I also want to get an accurate assessment of my carry distances for clubs on full and partial shots.

I think that is all; a couple of lofty goals but I want to try and stretch myself.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Having a newborn means only three goals

Don't buy any new equipment

Play as much as possible

Be a solid contributor on the MGS forums

Congrats on the newborn. My daughter is now 16 so I am starting to get a little more free time to work on my game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I totally agree that short game helps, but last season I found myself too often in the sticks around the green and having to make a Phil-esque shot to scramble

OK then!!  That can be a problem.  I live in the desert which equals no sticks around the greens!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We all like to have more consistency in our ball striking.  But even single digits hit bad shots from time to time.  The quickest way to get to single digits is to practice your short game; partial shots, pitches, chips, and putting.  If you are a decent putter, you should be able to pitch the ball and one-putt about 50% of the time; when you chip the ball from just off the green, you should be able to get up and down about 70% of the time. I'm still working on that!!  A good short game will serve you well when your ball striking isn't the best.  Good luck!!  

Yes sir! This is why I'm done chasing distance with driver and irons. Driver will be what it is. Irons will be what they are, even if it now requires 1-2 more clubs than I hit when I was younger. I am going to really work on my short game this season and see if I can get to a legitimate single digit handicap. I think if I can shave 3 strokes a round, I should be right there.

Yes sir! This is why I'm done chasing distance with driver and irons. Driver will be what it is. Irons will be what they are, even if it now requires 1-2 more clubs than I hit when I was younger. I am going to really work on my short game this season and see if I can get to a legitimate single digit handicap. I think if I can shave 3 strokes a round, I should be right there.

You can dooo it!

Play as much as possible

You are already a solid coontibutor. Enjoy the baby and as he or she grows play golf together!

I love reading these goals but should hit like on all of them. But I'm too lazy so I'm sorry if I didn't like yours.

Health will be the watch word for my season. If I'm healthy I will play well. I still think that I can get down to a 2 from the right set of tees, time to play/practice and good health.

First up for me in the health department will be a heart procedure.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll play...

1. Drop my hcp to a 5

2. Ball striking! Ball striking! Ball striking! (Both driver and irons)

3. Record as much data as possible every round so I know what to be working on

4. Play in at least 2 competitive rounds

5. Pass a PAT

6. Get a TPI level 1 cert

7. Meet/play with other MGS'ers

There's a lot of sub-goals under each of those points that need to be worked through but those are the overall goals. My biggest worry is being able to maintain the frequency of play and practice that I did last year. This year is looking out to be very busy overall with business etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

A great topic every year!

1. Drop handi a stroke - get to sub 5

2. Beat personal best of 74

3. Tee it up with MGS'ers around the country (starting with Foz, Rev and MattF in FL next month - this is turning in to an annual "thing")

4. Increase FW's hit and GIR's

5. See if I can find a putter to challenge the Edel, just to keep it interesting

6. Scout clubs near the NH Seacoast/NE MA to join after the "Big Move"

7. MGS Staff Retreat - I suggest Minnesota this summer ;-)

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Big goals bring 9.6 GHIN down to 4 point something so under 5 Ghin career best is even par 72 did shoot 72 1 over par 71 course 1st round club championship but messed with my swing to get better had cap to 6.2 at 1 time - short game has saved me - tee to green need most work .

We all will be trying to get better until the day we no longer play golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I'll play...

1. Drop my hcp to a 5

2. Ball striking! Ball striking! Ball striking! (Both driver and irons)

3. Record as much data as possible every round so I know what to be working on

4. Play in at least 2 competitive rounds

5. Pass a PAT

6. Get a TPI level 1 cert

7. Meet/play with other MGS'ers

There's a lot of sub-goals under each of those points that need to be worked through but those are the overall goals. My biggest worry is being able to maintain the frequency of play and practice that I did last year. This year is looking out to be very busy overall with business etc.

You've got a lot going on this year!  Good luck.  Wish I could do that.

... Mine is simple and hopefully attainable. Have my shoulder heal so I can play golf. Torn labrum and frozen shoulder has me unable to swing a club since last October. I have a contraption I am wearing for 30 minutes 3 times a day that forces my shoulder into  stretched position and after 10 days It is certainly helping along with PT. My goal is to be able to play by May or June. Obviously it is killing me as last Feb I was in LA playing 30 days in a row but I don't want to rush it and be out even longer. 

... I have a new set of Srixon 545's I shafted with Recoils and am looking forward to playing them! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Prayers for your healing!

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great topic!

1. Stay injury free for a year(currently coming back from shoulder issues)

2. Get my consistency up(better ball striking)

3. Improve my putting

4. Play more

5. Hole in one

Staying injury free is big for me. It has either been my shoulders or back over the last 4 years and only injury free year has been when my daughter was born and that's because I only played a couple of times that year. Cheers to everyone hitting their goals this year!!

A great topic every year!

1. Drop handi a stroke - get to sub 5

2. Beat personal best of 74

3. Tee it up with MGS'ers around the country (starting with Foz, Rev and MattF in FL next month - this is turning in to an annual "thing")

4. Increase FW's hit and GIR's

5. See if I can find a putter to challenge the Edel, just to keep it interesting

6. Scout clubs near the NH Seacoast/NE MA to join after the "Big Move"

7. MGS Staff Retreat - I suggest Minnesota this summer ;-)

I'm all for Minnesota this year, even if I can't swing a cat. I'd sure love to put faces to names.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Here in MN we actually have a couple courses opening for this weekend, absolutely the earliest opening I can ever remember. Don't worry, it will get cold again and they will close. Any only a couple are opening anyway.

That said it's really time to think about the upcoming season. What are your goals for 2017? Here are mine...

• No rounds in the 90's
  • Shoot under par
  • Get a hole in one (this is on the list every year :) )
  • Play more rounds than last year
  • Stay married (also on the list every year)
  • Get to a 2 handicap
I love the stay married part! I'm in the same boat. Your list is a good one to go by. I'm actual hoping to have minimal rounds in the 80's. At 7.2 that shouldn't be impossible.

The one goal I have right now is to not shoot over 100. I have others, but those will take more time. I've played twice in the last couple weeks. Shot 96 and 99. So far, so good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah, this is what I get for bragging. Played Sunday, shot a 101. But, it was a real good time.

I chunked a bunch with my longer irons and got under a few to many with my wedges, ending up really short.

Speaking of short, soon I'm going to reshaft my irons and make them 1/2 inch under standard. That will stop that chunking and probably change to topping them. But, at least with that I still get some distance.

Side note of good news. Hitting a few more fairways since following through with my swing. Only up to 40 something %, but better than the 33 or less % from last year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Play as much as possible

Newborn... I thought more sleep might be in your goals for this year ;)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Goals for 2017:

1. Get my kids more interested in golf. To this end I signed both kids up for some summer golf camps.

2. Golf a bit more than last year. My time to golf has decreased due to outside factors and the growing family. Already scheduled a few tourneys on my calendar to get me back into things. Being realistic as I won't be Golfing 2-3 times a week like I was a few years ago until retirement which is quite a few years away.

3. Upgrade the clubs this year. I feel like I'm leaving some distance on the table with my 6 year old mizzys and even though I just upgraded my woods 2 years ago, I feel the new crop out there has some additional distance/forgiveness to offer as well.

4. Drop the handicap down to single digits. A few years ago I was down to a 7.8 index but have since shot up to a 16ish. Lack of practice and play has done its damage. I think this is attainable even with the limited increased schedule I'm playing.

5. Play with some MGS'ers. Alway enjoy meeting new people who share a similar passion for golf.

6. Attend a PGA tourney. I haven't attended one in quite a few years.

7. Fish more. I don't always have 4+ hours to devote to Golfing, so fishing will fill in those needed "just me" times. Maybe even catch a dang fish too, lol.

8. And for the other times, enjoy my family more. Kids are growing up way to quickly. There will be plenty of Golfing later in life, but I will only experience my kids growing up once.

9. World peace. My answer to this, everyone take their differences and battle it out on the golf course.

10. Get a new putter. I've struggled with putting, so it must be the equipment, right?! ;)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Goals for 2017:

1. Get my kids more interested in golf. To this end I signed both kids up for some summer golf camps.

MDGolfHacker

That's a great one. I'm planning on the same for my boys.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

For me it's getting to scratch golf and performing well in a few tournaments. I'm kinda in a slump right now but what else is new.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

After reading all the posts, I can just say...."All of the above!"

Y'all really put a lot of thought into your posts. Guess I'll have to try some....

1) Get My Wilson Triton USGA approved so I can bag it!

2) Lower my Hcap from 19 to 10 by playing more(hey, I'm retired now so I can play!)

3) Enjoy playing with more Spies! Come on down to Tampa! Looking forward to a summer trip to KY so I can play with a couple more Spies.

4) keep my EVNRoll putter in the bag. I hate seeing my others just sitting there, all lonely and such, BUT....

5) Make my Club a better place as a Ranger/Starter two mornings every week. I actually enjoy doing this!

6) Score in the 70's more often. 4 times last year, already once in 2017!

7) Keeping my wife happy(we both retired at the same time)

I guess that's enough for now.....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

After reading all the posts, I can just say...."All of the above!"

Y'all really put a lot of thought into your posts. Guess I'll have to try some....

1) Get My Wilson Triton USGA approved so I can bag it!

2) Lower my Hcap from 19 to 10 by playing more(hey, I'm retired now so I can play!)

3) Enjoy playing with more Spies! Come on down to Tampa! Looking forward to a summer trip to KY so I can play with a couple more Spies.

4) keep my EVNRoll putter in the bag. I hate seeing my others just sitting there, all lonely and such, BUT....

5) Make my Club a better place as a Ranger/Starter two mornings every week. I actually enjoy doing this!

6) Score in the 70's more often. 4 times last year, already once in 2017!

7) Keeping my wife happy(we both retired at the same time)

I guess that's enough for now.....

You have a better chance of doing 1-6 IF you put #7 first.   ;)

Archived