Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

2017 Season Goals thread

hckymeyer

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goals this summer, are straighten out my drive to at least stay on my hole and break 90

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I totally agree that short game helps, but last season I found myself too often in the sticks around the green and having to make a Phil-esque shot to scramble

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Another part to look at for better iron play is club selection, specifically, are you hitting the correct club. Recently I have been really focusing on club selection. Am I hitting the correct club, not just distance, but lie, type of shot, how am I striking the ball right now, so 1 thing I have been doing is to figure out what club I think I need to use, and then simply add one, or in some cases subtract one(More on this in a minute), by adding a club I can make a better swing, I don't have to hit a full shot into the green. Back to subtracting a club, this depends on wind mainly, but flag position is also a factor where I play, I need a club that puts me in a position to succeed even if that shot is intentionally missing the green. Sometimes the miss has to be short, and sometime the miss has to be long. So I play for that. I never thought about some of this until I played at Pinehurst #2, when the caddie said that missing some greens is better than hitting some greens. Anyway, don't be afraid of adding a club and taking a smoother swing. All of the information above is thought of well before I get to the ball. I don't ponder on this while getting ready to swing, I run that info through as I am walking to the ball, then I chose a club and swing, usually within about 5-10 seconds of arriving at the ball.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Another part to look at for better iron play is club selection, specifically, are you hitting the correct club. Recently I have been really focusing on club selection. Am I hitting the correct club, not just distance, but lie, type of shot, how am I striking the ball right now, so 1 thing I have been doing is to figure out what club I think I need to use, and then simply add one, or in some cases subtract one(More on this in a minute), by adding a club I can make a better swing, I don't have to hit a full shot into the green. Back to subtracting a club, this depends on wind mainly, but flag position is also a factor where I play, I need a club that puts me in a position to succeed even if that shot is intentionally missing the green. Sometimes the miss has to be short, and sometime the miss has to be long. So I play for that. I never thought about some of this until I played at Pinehurst #2, when the caddie said that missing some greens is better than hitting some greens. Anyway, don't be afraid of adding a club and taking a smoother swing. All of the information above is thought of well before I get to the ball. I don't ponder on this while getting ready to swing, I run that info through as I am walking to the ball, then I chose a club and swing, usually within about 5-10 seconds of arriving at the ball.

I played my city's am last year and I did notice my club selection could probably use some work. If I'm not hitting it well on a day, I will usually take one extra club and swing more smoothly

I played my city's am last year and I did notice my club selection could probably use some work. If I'm not hitting it well on a day, I will usually take one extra club and swing more smoothly

I was listening to Phil when he was talking on the Feherty show last week, and he was talking about the different types of shots that he could have from the same distance, it was really amazing the thought process that he goes through. I don't go nearly to that extent, but I do try to pick the right club for the shot. Sometimes I am wrong, but if I am wrong i always try to be wrong in the right place. There are places at my course that you cannot miss it, if you do your score will add up quickly. So inalways try to error on the miss it in a good place shot.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I was listening to Phil when he was talking on the Feherty show last week, and he was talking about the different types of shots that he could have from the same distance, it was really amazing the thought process that he goes through. I don't go nearly to that extent, but I do try to pick the right club for the shot. Sometimes I am wrong, but if I am wrong i always try to be wrong in the right place. There are places at my course that you cannot miss it, if you do your score will add up quickly. So inalways try to error on the miss it in a good place shot.

That was a pretty great show! I've experimented with some of the stuff he talked about before but I really learned last year to tuck my balls into my pants and instead of making that sexy flop shot most of the time I just try to get it to land at about 20' (or just past the fringe if I'm close) and let it roll out the rest of the way

Archived