Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Help save Tiger Woods and Golf

Oudefart

We know how much golf and the business of golf thinks they need TW. Those people might step back and realize "they" had him once and cruised to uncharted places. They were the Titanic to his iceberg; and now that ship ain't a floatin' up to the surface and... that iceberg has long since melted. Smaller boats, fewer passengers and iceberg free seas might just be the only course to navigate, as golf goes forward.

To that end, a petition*, from those of us who wish him the best, and yet want him to do no further damage to himself or his reputation. Would you sign if there was such a thing? I'm interested in The Spy Community thoughts.

PETITION

The undersigned hereby absolve Eldrick "Tiger" Woods from any further embarrassment and ridicule, as a result of his continued attempts at returning to former glory as a sports and global public icon. From this point forward we collectively agree to no longer care what tournament, clinic, partner, golf club, golf ball, shirt, shoe, vitamin, domicile, boat, island, swing plane, golf course, facial hair and percentage of body fat Mr. Woods does or does not witness. Without a large constituency calling for your participation in the above activities, you are now free to stop your participation in them. The undersigned recognize Mr. Woods' former achievements AND failings as the past. Our wishes for his future success shall be finite and limited to a recognition of Mr. Woods as a breathing male human who holds the responsibilities as Father and record holding athlete. From this day forward, we the undersigned encourage Mr. Woods to cease all forced efforts to present himself as something he's not. We shall, in kind, no longer pursue the fantasy that Tiger Woods is a persona that requires our commentary and speculation to become something he cannot. Thank you for your existence, and good luck.

________________________________________________    Date _________________________________

________________________________________________    Date _________________________________

* All credit goes to the beloved Armitage Shanks

Strange is just a different point of view

Your premise seems to suggest that Tiger is trying to comeback solely because it's what fans want and but for your petition to the contrary he is destined to crash into the sea in a ball of flame at an astronomical rate subsequently tanking the rest of golf with him. I don't see that as the case with the former or the latter and thus cannot understand how the subject merits further debate. Tiger Woods is a grown a** man, putting his own money and pride on the line every time he tees it up in a professional event. Root for the guy or ignore him, but ignoring the only 70+ professional win golfer (no disrespect to Bernhard Langer) with the obvious desire to regularly contend makes me sad. I pray for the return of days when I am literally glued to a golf broadcast. But the world is full of fair weather fans these days so maybe I'm the jamoke pining for the return of a golden Tiger era.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Your premise seems to suggest that Tiger is trying to comeback solely because it's what fans want and but for your petition to the contrary he is destined to crash into the sea in a ball of flame at an astronomical rate subsequently tanking the rest of golf with him. I don't see that as the case with the former or the latter and thus cannot understand how the subject merits further debate. Tiger Woods is a grown a** man, putting his own money and pride on the line every time he tees it up in a professional event. Root for the guy or ignore him, but ignoring the only 70+ professional win golfer (no disrespect to Bernhard Langer) with the obvious desire to regularly contend makes me sad. I pray for the return of days when I am literally glued to a golf broadcast. But the world is full of fair weather fans these days so maybe I'm the jamoke pining for the return of a golden Tiger era.

I'm thinking the petition was intended as a joke and as such it was funny.

I agree with you on that I miss the time when Tiger was a must see.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm thinking the petition was intended as a joke and as such it was funny.

I agree with you on that I miss the time when Tiger was a must see.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Of the *petition itself, a satirical undertone could potentially be argued but coupled with the preface I got an entirely different feel. Before penning my original reply I read through the post a dozen times trying to convince myself of the humorous intent. I was unsuccessful but I hope you are correct. Maybe oudefart would be willing to chime in with some OP insight?

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

• 1 month later...

I can understand where @Oudefart is coming from, as it is the position of some who feels about tiger as though good times are totally gone. I would encourage you to not toss him out so soon. He has to be allowed time to achieve a point of physical well being. It took my step-dad three years to recover from disc surgery in his back before playing golf again. If that same holds true for Tiger then we can't get worried or impatient for another year. His mistake was coming back too soon at a cool weather event at Torrey in January. But nonetheless, please be patient because Tiger is going to continue being important for a long time. He will play tournament golf again at a tour level and win, but his age is going to force a lengthy recovery. He is still recovering, don't forget that.

I would rather see a healthy competitive Tiger in another year then have him injured again. There are gonna be times where his body literally just won't activate for the day. I'd rather see a WD then him force it and cause more significant damage.

Keep your chin up mate, there's much more to come from Tiger.

- Burk

Sent from my LGLS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived