TESTERS WANTED! ×

Fred Couples Wins on the Champions Tour

GolfSpy Barbajo

Good to see Freddie in the Winner's Circle again -- love watching him play and absolutely love the rhythm and tempo of his swing.  If it wasn't for the damn back injuries...

Fred Couples Dominates at Chubb Classic Using Bridgestone Tour B330-S Golf Ball

(COVINGTON, GA) â€“ Fred Couples became the latest Bridgestone Golf staff player to capture a title in 2017, relying on the Tour B330-S ball to record a three-shot victory at the Chubb Classic this past weekend at TwinEagles Golf & Country Club in Naples, Fla.

The 57-year-old carded a bogey-free final round of 67 to earn his 12th PGA Tour Champions win. With this performance, the World Golf Hall of Famer claimed the top spot in the Charles Schwab Cup standings. He trusted the B330-S to produce longer drives and better greenside spin in part due to Bridgestone's proprietary Tour Core and SlipRes Cover technologies.

“Going into Sunday I knew I'd have to make as many birdies as possible to catch and surpass the field,” said Couples.  “When you absolutely need to score it is imperative that you have complete confidence in your equipment, and I know my ball will do what I need it to from tee to green.”

“Fred is not only a legendary player, but one of the most popular athletes in our sport and it's great to see him playing so well to start 2017,” says Angel Ilagan, President and CEO of Bridgestone Golf. “We separate ourselves from the competition by offering equipment that will make all players better, be they former Masters champions like Couples or the average weekend golfer.”

Couples' win comes two months after the company signed Tiger Woods to a multi-year agreement to exclusively play and promote its high-performance balls.

Woods also selected the Tour B330-S ball after thoroughly testing it against competing models from all major brands. Through his personal research, he determined the Bridgestone ball provided superior distance and accuracy off the tee for him, as well as optimal spin on shots into and around the green.

FedEx Cup champion Brandt Snedeker, Olympic bronze medalist Matt Kuchar, three-time major champion Nick Price and young phenoms Bryson DeChambeau and Hudson Swafford have all won using Bridgestone products. Scores of fellow professionals – including 2016 winners on the PGA and LPGA Tours – choose to use Bridgestone balls without compensation.

Engineered to perform optimally for highly skilled golfers, Tour players' findings align with what Bridgestone ball-fitting sessions with amateurs have proven. Data from these sessions show the B330-S is 36% straighter, 6 yards longer, and has more spin than ProV1****.

The catalyst for distance and accuracy gains is the patented TOURcore, producing faster speed and less spin off the driver via Bridgestone's gradational core formulation. For increased greenside control, the B330-S wears the breakthrough SlipRes cover, which increases stopping power without the usual negative effects of added driver spin.

*Straightness claim based on based on Bridgestone Golf fitting data of 1,622 fittings. Actual results may vary. **Distance claim based on Bridgestone Golf fitting data of 1,622 fittings. Actual results may vary. ***Spin claim based on third party testing with a 40-yard wedge shot. ****ProV1 is a registered trademark of Titleist.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Way to go Freddie! 🏌️

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Love seeing Boom Boom hoist new hardware.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Always liked him, hope he has a great year.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Good for Freddie, one of my favorite tour professionals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Like Freddie always have but hate the B-330 B-330 RX and B-330S balls. For some reason always liked the Treo Soft ball which they do not make anymore.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Love watching Freddie swing! So freaking smooth with lots of power. Wish my swing going looked like that instead of me looking like I'm having a heart attack, lol.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Like Freddie always have but hate the B-330 B-330 RX and B-330S balls. For some reason always liked the Treo Soft ball which they do not make anymore.

I still like the Lady when the temperature is cooler.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not a big fan of Fred's. Don't hate him, don't love him like lots of others. I do like his tempo though.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm not a big fan of Fred's. Don't hate him, don't love him like lots of others. I do like his tempo though.

Was always the most followed when he came up to play the Canadian Open. I remember the 1995 tournament, while others were into the metal woods he still had Prisiman in his bag. Correct me if I am wrong, but last golfer to win a major with true woods? Effortless swing...at least he makes it seem that way.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I realize that Fred was and is not a favorite of mine goes against the grain. He's exceedingly popular and a fine player.

I don't think his career merited Hall of Fame recognition or the attention that he got. The attention not matching the record is probably the reason that I'm not as high on Fred as most. The best players in his day were Faldo, Seve followed by Norman, Langer and Price in what ever order you prefer.

Freddie was and is popular, it's not like I hate him but I'm not going to turn the TV on because he's in contention. I would for Jack, Tiger, Watson, some of the young guys, not Fred.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I realize that Fred was and is not a favorite of mine goes against the grain. He's exceedingly popular and a fine player.

I don't think his career merited Hall of Fame recognition or the attention that he got. The attention not matching the record is probably the reason that I'm not as high on Fred as most. The best players in his day were Faldo, Seve followed by Norman, Langer and Price in what ever order you prefer.

Freddie was and is popular, it's not like I hate him but I'm not going to turn the TV on because he's in contention. I would for Jack, Tiger, Watson, some of the young guys, not Fred.

I think Fred is one of the great "Shouldabeens" in golf - with that swing and talent, he should have won a lot of majors, but the back did him in - a lot like Peter Jacobsen.  I'd say you're spot on on the best players of that era. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived