Sign in to follow this  
GolfSpy Barbajo

Fred Couples Wins on the Champions Tour

Good to see Freddie in the Winner's Circle again -- love watching him play and absolutely love the rhythm and tempo of his swing.  If it wasn't for the damn back injuries...

Fred Couples Dominates at Chubb Classic Using Bridgestone Tour B330-S Golf Ball

(COVINGTON, GA) â€“ Fred Couples became the latest Bridgestone Golf staff player to capture a title in 2017, relying on the Tour B330-S ball to record a three-shot victory at the Chubb Classic this past weekend at TwinEagles Golf & Country Club in Naples, Fla.

The 57-year-old carded a bogey-free final round of 67 to earn his 12th PGA Tour Champions win. With this performance, the World Golf Hall of Famer claimed the top spot in the Charles Schwab Cup standings. He trusted the B330-S to produce longer drives and better greenside spin in part due to Bridgestone's proprietary Tour Core and SlipRes Cover technologies.

“Going into Sunday I knew I'd have to make as many birdies as possible to catch and surpass the field,” said Couples.  “When you absolutely need to score it is imperative that you have complete confidence in your equipment, and I know my ball will do what I need it to from tee to green.”

“Fred is not only a legendary player, but one of the most popular athletes in our sport and it's great to see him playing so well to start 2017,” says Angel Ilagan, President and CEO of Bridgestone Golf. “We separate ourselves from the competition by offering equipment that will make all players better, be they former Masters champions like Couples or the average weekend golfer.”

Couples' win comes two months after the company signed Tiger Woods to a multi-year agreement to exclusively play and promote its high-performance balls.

Woods also selected the Tour B330-S ball after thoroughly testing it against competing models from all major brands. Through his personal research, he determined the Bridgestone ball provided superior distance and accuracy off the tee for him, as well as optimal spin on shots into and around the green.

FedEx Cup champion Brandt Snedeker, Olympic bronze medalist Matt Kuchar, three-time major champion Nick Price and young phenoms Bryson DeChambeau and Hudson Swafford have all won using Bridgestone products. Scores of fellow professionals – including 2016 winners on the PGA and LPGA Tours – choose to use Bridgestone balls without compensation.

Engineered to perform optimally for highly skilled golfers, Tour players' findings align with what Bridgestone ball-fitting sessions with amateurs have proven. Data from these sessions show the B330-S is 36% straighter, 6 yards longer, and has more spin than ProV1****.

The catalyst for distance and accuracy gains is the patented TOURcore, producing faster speed and less spin off the driver via Bridgestone's gradational core formulation. For increased greenside control, the B330-S wears the breakthrough SlipRes cover, which increases stopping power without the usual negative effects of added driver spin.

*Straightness claim based on based on Bridgestone Golf fitting data of 1,622 fittings. Actual results may vary. **Distance claim based on Bridgestone Golf fitting data of 1,622 fittings. Actual results may vary. ***Spin claim based on third party testing with a 40-yard wedge shot. ****ProV1 is a registered trademark of Titleist.

I like Freddie.  My wife loves Freddie... if he ate crackers in bed, she wouldn't kick him out.   :)

• Like 5

Like Freddie always have but hate the B-330 B-330 RX and B-330S balls. For some reason always liked the Treo Soft ball which they do not make anymore.

• Like 1

Love watching Freddie swing! So freaking smooth with lots of power. Wish my swing going looked like that instead of me looking like I'm having a heart attack, lol.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

Like Freddie always have but hate the B-330 B-330 RX and B-330S balls. For some reason always liked the Treo Soft ball which they do not make anymore.

I still like the Lady when the temperature is cooler.

I'm not a big fan of Fred's. Don't hate him, don't love him like lots of others. I do like his tempo though.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Was always the most followed when he came up to play the Canadian Open. I remember the 1995 tournament, while others were into the metal woods he still had Prisiman in his bag. Correct me if I am wrong, but last golfer to win a major with true woods? Effortless swing...at least he makes it seem that way.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I realize that Fred was and is not a favorite of mine goes against the grain. He's exceedingly popular and a fine player.

I don't think his career merited Hall of Fame recognition or the attention that he got. The attention not matching the record is probably the reason that I'm not as high on Fred as most. The best players in his day were Faldo, Seve followed by Norman, Langer and Price in what ever order you prefer.

Freddie was and is popular, it's not like I hate him but I'm not going to turn the TV on because he's in contention. I would for Jack, Tiger, Watson, some of the young guys, not Fred.

• Like 2

I realize that Fred was and is not a favorite of mine goes against the grain. He's exceedingly popular and a fine player.

I don't think his career merited Hall of Fame recognition or the attention that he got. The attention not matching the record is probably the reason that I'm not as high on Fred as most. The best players in his day were Faldo, Seve followed by Norman, Langer and Price in what ever order you prefer.

Freddie was and is popular, it's not like I hate him but I'm not going to turn the TV on because he's in contention. I would for Jack, Tiger, Watson, some of the young guys, not Fred.

I think Fred is one of the great "Shouldabeens" in golf - with that swing and talent, he should have won a lot of majors, but the back did him in - a lot like Peter Jacobsen.  I'd say you're spot on on the best players of that era. 

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    WeezLuke

• By GolfSpy Barbajo
      Did you guys get to check out the blog on the new wedges from Bridgestone today?

Here's the link: https://mygolfspy.com/2018-bridgestone-tour-b-xw-1-wedges/

Couple of impressions --

I definitely prefer the black over the chrome - and so far the finish has held up perfectly. Not sure what they did to to it, but 8 rounds and some practice have shown no noticeable wear.

As mentioned the blog - it's a low tech wedge. The forged feeling is wonderful, but if you struggle with wedges there's nothing here that will change that - but then again, the same can be said for pretty much anyone's wedges (we'll see about the Cleveland CBX wedges in less than a month!)

KISB - or Keep It Simple Bridgestone: no bounce or grind options - what do you guys think about that? Seems like wedges are going all one way (crap tons of bounce, grind and sole options) or all the other (like Bridgestone). PING, as always, goes it's own way and is somewhere in the middle.  Do you like more options or fewer options?

And here are some pix that didn't make the cut....

• By GolfSpy Barbajo
      Gotta admit, this one caught me by surprise...

Bridgestone is announcing its new Tour-level balls today - the Tour B line.  The 12-year old B330 name is being retired - as a name it's not nearly as iconic as ProV or Chrome Soft - but still...

Anyway, the details are here: https://mygolfspy.com/2019-bridgestone-tour-b-golf-balls/

What are your thoughts on the name change, the new balls and the switch in fitting approach - score/handicap as opposed pos wing speed?

• By GolfSpy Barbajo
      From the InBox today....

Bridgestone is launching a new Tiger-centric ad campaign called "The Herd." I like the idea and the concept - it's an sound marketing message, but Tiger's health issues are taking a serious bite out its effectiveness, for the near term, anyway...

Bridgestone Golf Debuts ‘The Herd' Marketing Campaign Featuring Tiger Woods

(COVINGTON, GA) â€“ Bridgestone Golf â€“ innovator of premium golf balls, clubs and accessories – is amplifying its aggressive messaging with a new national marketing campaign featuring Tiger Woods that highlights the performance benefits of its products over other brands.

Titled “The Herd,” a unique series of commercials on NBC/Golf Channel and across the web depicts the “herd-mentality,” common among consumers with notions that the best golf ball is the one played by the most Tour players. In contrast to this groupthink, the Bridgestone Tour B330 Series is touted as being 44% straighter and 6.9 yards longer than the Titleist ProV1 Series**. The spots are on Bridgestone Golf social channels and can be accessed here: http://bit.ly/2mpfRbo.

More than 75 extras participated in the filming in South Africa, representing a mass of humanity scavenging a golf course for the most popular ball on Tour. What they find is Woods – who switched exclusively to the Bridgestone B330-S in December – hitting a tee shot while the narrator proclaims “you can't beat the pack by playing the same ball as the pack.” It concludes with the new slogan: “Dare to be better, Dare to Bridgestone.”

“The imagery and language are bold, powerful and communicate how golfers need a break-away-from-the-pack mentality to gain a true competitive edge,” says Corey Consuegra, Senior Director of Marketing of Bridgestone Golf. “This is our first broadcast spot featuring Tiger Woods, the perfect iconic figure to carry the message.”

Woods signed a multi-year agreement to play and promote Bridgestone's high-performance balls, selecting the Tour B330-S after thoroughly testing it against competing models from all major brands. Through his personal research, he determined the Bridgestone ball provided superior distance and accuracy off the tee for him, as well as optimal spin on shots into and around the green.

Additional “break-a-way-from-the-pack” leaders include FedEx Cup champion Brandt Snedeker, Olympic bronze medalist Matt Kuchar, Masters winner Fred Couples, three-time major champion Nick Price and young phenoms Bryson DeChambeau and Hudson Swafford.

The catalyst for distance and accuracy gains is the patented TOURcore (B330 & B330-S) and AMATOURcore (B330-RX & B330-RXS). Now six percent larger than the prior model, it produces even faster speed and less spin off the driver via Bridgestone's gradational core formulation. For increased greenside control, the B330 Series wears the breakthrough SlipRes cover, which increases stopping power without the usual negative effects of added driver spin.

*Straighter claim and distance claim based on Bridgestone Golf ball fitting data of 13,434 fittings from February 2015 – September 2016. Actual results may vary. **Titleist ProV1 is a registered trademark of Acushnet.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHPiDR1yw8&feature=youtu.be 
    • By GolfSpy Barbajo
      Successful hills are here to stay 
      Everything must be this way 
      Gentle streets where people play 
      Welcome to the Soft Parade

Seems as though every ball company out there has been grooving to The Doors, as another member joins the "Soft Parade."  This came in today from  Bridgestone...

Bridgestone Golf Introduces Extra Soft Golf Ball Line

Company Dares Golfers to be Better by Maximizing Distance with Excellent Feeling New Model  
      (COVINGTON, GA) â€“ Bridgestone Golf â€“ Innovator and manufacturer of premium golf balls, clubs and accessories  â€“  today unveils the new Extra Soft golf ball series, available now at select retailers nationwide and bridgestonegolf.com.

The Extra Soft ($21.99) provides maximum length on all shots for mid-to-high handicappers, without the harsh feel and feedback associated with many balls engineered to improve distance. An enhanced core design creates additional forgiveness off the tee, helping players consistently achieve longer, straighter drives. Extra Soft models will be offered in white, yellow and pink colors.    
      “After more than a decade of performing golf ball fittings for players of all skill levels, we've learned that golfers have different needs, preferences and budgets,” says Adam Rehberg, Golf Ball Marketing. “With Extra Soft we've developed a ball that feels amazing, but doesn't sacrifice the distance or accuracy that is often seen as a drawback to playing a softer ball.”

Separating Bridgestone from all other ball manufacturers is the company's unique and proven approach to new product development. It introduced a proprietary Ball Fitting system in 2007 and uses the data gathered to drive research and development. This real-world understanding of player needs was a catalyst in the creation of the company's most popular offerings, including the recently launched e6 SOFT and e6 SPEED series ($28.99 per dozen), as well as many more.  

In addition to the new Extra Soft, Bridgestone Golf designs a diverse portfolio of golf balls to meet the needs of all player performance characteristics, including the B330, B330S, B330RX, B330RXS, e6 SOFT, e6 SPEED, Powerdrive, Laddie Extreme, and Lady. More information on the company's ball, club and accessories offerings are available at www.bridgestonegolf.com.

• By GolfSpy Barbajo
      Take a good look at Brandt Snedeker's bag tomorrow - we understand that he'll be bagging the new Bridgestone JGR 5 wood for The Masters.  He and Kuchar are already bagging the driver, but Sneds will be adding the fairway wood to his bag this week.  

Not bad for a club Bridgestone did not intend to be used on Tour...

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!