Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

My Vintage Ping Set! Love them!

Growing up and learning to play in the 80's, those irons were the $HIT! All the rich kids had 'em, and I wasn't a rich kid...

To this day - the sexiest cavity back iron ever.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice looking set. I take persimmons out every once in a while for fun.

I prefer the persimmons. The sound they make, the ball flight, the feel of hitting a pure shot just gets me. And I feel great about myself that not everyone can play with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice---- Glad to see another classic nut like myself come on here. I have quite a few persimmon woods and play them quite a bit along with classic blades. Now I am not a Ping iron man but loved their putters--- We have quite a few Eye2 players down here that still play them which IMHO is a timeless design. If you look on Flea Bay and such you will see that they still command in general the highest resale value. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Nice looking set. I take persimmons out every once in a while for fun.

Bonsey I did not know you played persimmon some. I played vintage and persimmon Sunday myself walking. Played one of my Model 129 Izett drivers. I have a bunch of Izetts, Toney Pennas, Macgregors, Wilson and Power Bilts. I have close to 50 Persimmon drivers

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

IMG_2629.JPG

Took the Hogan Medallion 6-iron out to the range over the weekend. Gawd what a nice feeling iron...

This thread is dangerous - I'm scanning eBay for some MacGregor forgings. Don't know how to explain this to my wife...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

attachicon.gifIMG_2629.JPG

Took the Hogan Medallion 6-iron out to the range over the weekend. Gawd what a nice feeling iron...

This thread is dangerous - I'm scanning eBay for some MacGregor forgings. Don't know how to explain this to my wife...

There are some really nice forged Ben Hogan irons on eBay for cheap. I'm partial to Ping irons, but the classic Ben Hogans are gorgeous.

Nice---- Glad to see another classic nut like myself come on here. I have quite a few persimmon woods and play them quite a bit along with classic blades. Now I am not a Ping iron man but loved their putters--- We have quite a few Eye2 players down here that still play them which IMHO is a timeless design. If you look on Flea Bay and such you will see that they still command in general the highest resale value.

I have a 1, 3, 5, 7 set of Ping Zing woods (blonde finish) that are being refinished now. Been playing with the Eye 2 woods until then.

What are you looking for?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Affirmative, this thread should be prefaced with a PayPal invoice warning. I refuse to even mention the set of irons I'm trying to procure at the moment because I don't want to create any extra demand in the online marketplace. Been sending PMs to every MGS forum member that mentioned owning a set.

Are you after those Mac CB 92 VIP Tours? If so, I had a set in high school and when you hit them on the button they are more obedient than a good bird dog. When you hit them off center, you're reminded the dog still desperately needs snake training.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

The Muirfeilds I bought off of this site are sooo sweet. I really wish I could have played more with them before the cascading injury thing hit. I also have some persimmon woods that my Dad had custom built back in the 80's- so fun to play with! I love turning the clock back- it's a completely different game.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

What are you looking for?

Not really sure. The 2010 VIP's are the holy grail - but a lot of the forging from the 90's and lights look pretty playable

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Not really sure. The 2010 VIP's are the holy grail - but a lot of the forging from the 90's and lights look pretty playable

I've always thought the meanest set Mac put out were the Tourney PMBs circa '98. Gorgeous but soooo tiny. If you balanced a ball on the deuce you couldn't see any club face sticking out. I paid $1200.00 for 2-PW build as a high school senior. They offered a factory fitting experience back then for ~$4K. $4K in 1998, makes the current PXG price points sound downright reasonable.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Well, went ahead and did it. Picked up a set of MacGregor VIP Tourney irons on the 'Bay for $99 shipped.

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

Now I gotta shed a set

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Well, went ahead and did it. Picked up a set of MacGregor VIP Tourney irons on the 'Bay for $99 shipped.

attachicon.gifIMG_2637.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2638.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2639.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2640.JPG

Now I gotta shed a set

Nice, and they are in great shape.  Great price!!  Does the 1025M start with the 7i?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Nice, and they are in great shape. Great price!! Does the 1025M start with the 7i?

Yep

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

The Muirfeilds I bought off of this site are sooo sweet. I really wish I could have played more with them before the cascading injury thing hit. I also have some persimmon woods that my Dad had custom built back in the 80's- so fun to play with! I love turning the clock back- it's a completely different game.

I gamed the Muirfields in the 80's......and shot a Hole in One with the 9 iron! My Muirfields were in the bag with Powerbilt Citation persimmon woods and an Arnold Palmer putter. Geez, I loved that set.....wish I still had them to mess around with.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've always liked those ping eye 2 irons. I saw a video recently comparing launch monitor stats of these to the new ping offerings and the eye 2s held up well to their modern brothers. I like the BeCu versions.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I still have my Eye 2's on loan to my brother. Green dot which shows how much has changed as I now play red dot and wedges even flatter. The Eye 2 wedge ruled out soft sand and rough.

I remember playing Genoa Lakes in the Carson Valley in NV. Sand was supposedly the same sand used at Augusta. Between perfect conditions and the Eye 2 I played out of the bunkers like a pro. A lot easier to play out of then the usual hard pan crap at some of the courses I come across in CA.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

if you're looking to kill some time Shiels and his buddy bought some vintage clubs and went out and played with them.  Shiels got the copper Ping Eye 2 clubs and actually hit them rather well...

Part 1:

Click for Part 2

Click for Part 3

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

if you're looking to kill some time Shiels and his buddy bought some vintage clubs and went out and played with them. Shiels got the copper Ping Eye 2 clubs and actually hit them rather well...

Part 1:

Click for Part 2

Click for Part 3

I think that people would be amazed at how well the PING Eye 2s play given that they are very old. I've tried a lot of new clubs and I still hit the Eye 2s comparable to anything new. And I didn't pay a grand for them.

I think that people would be amazed at how well the PING Eye 2s play given that they are very old. I've tried a lot of new clubs and I still hit the Eye 2s comparable to anything new. And I didn't pay a grand for them.

They are pretty... played with a guy a couple years ago who swears by them.  won't ever change them he said.

Only thing you have to be aware of is the lofts; they are a bit different than what is on the clubs today.

That copper color is cool!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

They are pretty... played with a guy a couple years ago who swears by them. won't ever change them he said.

Only thing you have to be aware of is the lofts; they are a bit different than what is on the clubs today.

That copper color is cool!

The lofts are weaker. But that doesn't bother me. As long as I can keep them in good shape I wouldn't consider switching.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are Sweet!

If they fit yout eye there was nothing better for sure.

Played with a guy that had a set of coppers back then and ping stamped his name or maybe it was just his initials on them, not sure anymore, and of course painted them all up to match. Blew everyone away how nice they were.

Archived